philodendron? monstera?

victoria, Canada

Called "ilon" in the Lacandon Maya language. Smooth vines stipped of epidermis and used for making baskets. There is another one "hach ilon" and still another called "kamis ilon". Pitures of these to follow.

Thumbnail by suzanne_cook
victoria, Canada

"hach ilon"

Thumbnail by suzanne_cook
victoria, Canada

"kamis ilon" - no pics, sorry. But the Lacandones describe it as having huge leaves that are very holey, and split to the margins. Kamis is the word for centipede, and as it applies to the plant, refers to the numerous aerial roots that clutch the host tree. I though it might be Monstera deliciosa, but I read somewhere that this species grows above 1500 m? The Lacandones live in the forest at 825 m.

Monstera, and most likely adansonii.

victoria, Canada

Hi Rachel (thanks again)
According to the info on Steve Lucas's site, Monstera adansonii is a native of the Amazonian region of Peru, Ecuador and Brazil. Breedlove (1986) lists six species for Chiapas: Monstera acacoyaguensis, M. acuminata, M.deliciosa, M. punctulata, M.siltepecana, and M. tuberculata. Which one of these do you think would be found in the rainforest, at between 800-900 m elevation?

Tom Croat was getting started last year on the revision of the Monstera genus so it would be best to send him your pictures and let him identify this Monstera for you. I can say for sure that it's not deliciosa and I'm sticking with Adansonii until I hear a correct I.D. from you;-)

victoria, Canada

OK. Thanks. He hasn't gotten back to me on that yet. Will let you know when he does ;)

Huntersville, NC(Zone 7b)

I believe it to be Adansonii also Rachel! Hope you had a great New Year!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images