Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Water Gardens: Underwater Plant Stands

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 10, Views: 69
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
CT_Ohio
Millfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 26, 2011
6:19 AM

Post #8864211

Do any of you have experience with metal underwater stands designed to hold water plant pots? How stable are they? I have found 2 sizes online at pretty hefty prices, e.g., about $50 without S&H for the 16". YIKES!! Have any of you crafty water people made these? Any help would be really appreciated. Thanx.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 26, 2011
7:27 AM

Post #8864297

Do you plan on having fish? My understanding is that you do not want the metal in the water with fish.
CT_Ohio
Millfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 26, 2011
8:11 AM

Post #8864339

Carolyn22

Depends on the metal. Afterall, pumps are metal and they're in the pond. From other sites people have had stands in ponds with fish and plants for years.

Small world. I live just outside of Athens OHIO, but was born in PA (not Athens, though)!
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

October 26, 2011
8:45 AM

Post #8864374

I use cement blocks. The half blocks (8x8) I use at the underwater vase, filled with gravel, no soil...and put them on top of cement blocks that are standing upright. I have also used the plastic cheap tables, probably 16x16 inch? , that you use for picnics, kids rooms, etc. They only last about 2 years, but do very well without rusting. ( sort of like Little Tykes plastic)
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 26, 2011
8:51 AM

Post #8864381

CT -

Good point, apparently another 'duh' moment. I do seem to have my share ^_^. Athens OH - is that a tiny town too? We are a tiny town.

about $50 without S&H for the 16". YIKES - I agree that is quite pricey.

MM - I like the little tikes table idea. We tried the cubes you get at Walmart for keeping files or like the ones the college students use. We took them out when we had a fish trapped between the cubes.
CT_Ohio
Millfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 26, 2011
2:45 PM

Post #8864793

Carolyn22

We're a relatively small town but Athens is the home of Ohio University so our population is larger most of the year.

MerryMary

I'm using cement blocks on end with 12" (I think) square cement tiles stacked on top to make desired depth for lotus and two lilies. With the three columns in there, it's hard to sink the four plants I need to submerge for winter. Not too bad when I just sunk the plants in their pots. The problem arose the following Spring when I couldn't reach the pots with my stubby little arms LOL! Last winter I used a rectangular laundry basket and a milk crate. Good ides but there wasn't enough room with blocks etc in place to sink plants without some 'mishaps!'. The tables are a possibility but I would like something a little more permanent, yet easy to remove over winter. The good news is, my son can fabricate something for me this winter, I just wondered if people had some design experience. But thanx to you both.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

October 26, 2011
10:14 PM

Post #8865336

We had the same problem retrieving pots so last summer (2010) I drilled holes in four corners and ran wire through them diagonally. That way I can use a rake or my tree trimmer with a long handle to both place them and retrieve them. I also use cement blocks. The fish like to swim through them and they hide behind them.
CT_Ohio
Millfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 27, 2011
7:33 AM

Post #8865641

I'm off to pick up some poly rope to make some handles for the outer baskets I'll use to sink the plants. Of course it's raining again today but is supposed to drop to 29 tonight and tomorrow night as well. I known Oberon46, we're such wusses down here in the lower 48!! LOL! I plant to take my columns out for the winter and use tables or stands next spring. Although I mentioned it to my clever son who build the pond, so I may have some interesting updates at later time. I'll keep you posted. Cheers

ct
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

October 27, 2011
8:12 AM

Post #8865694

Hey, it was 30 here this morning, so no question of wusses. I cleared out my pond a week ago. Between rain and cold, it is just plain miserable. No matter where you are. I haven't finished clearing out the garden detritis yet, and must finish this weekend or it will be buried in snow soon. Then we can discuss who is a wuss. C'est moi!!
CT_Ohio
Millfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 28, 2011
6:20 AM

Post #8866735

Oberon46

I would like to share a bumper sticker my firend saw in Anchorage.

Alaska, where the odds are good...but the goods are odd!

Stay warm

ct
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

October 28, 2011
8:42 AM

Post #8866911

I would not dispute that bumper sticker.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America