Suiseki

Norridgewock, ME(Zone 5a)

I'm sympathetic with Altagardener's frustration about trying to identify rocks on the web. Rocks are hard to ID without equipment most of us lack. Most of the time you are lucky simply to decide whether it is metamorphic, igneous or sedimentary. So I offer a proposal to look for rocks that evoke images in your mind. Instead of worrying about what a rock is, think about what, it anything, it suggests: young mountain, old mountain, hut, stream coming down mountain, pond, etc. Look up the word Suiseki on the internet and you'll find webpages devoted to this topic, which can be a fascinating hobby. Suiseki rocks are often displayed with bonsai. They are not common, so the quest for such rocks can easily keep one occupied. I recently had the pleasure of visiting the National Arboretum in DC and saw some special stones outside the Chinese pavillion in the Penjing and Bonsai museum. Perhaps it will inspire you, or at the least, get a discussion going on this topic. The photo rock is about 10-12 inches tall.

Thumbnail by granitegneiss
This thread has 2 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. Take a tour of our site and learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!