Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Winter Sowing: Asters ...What gives.... ?

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 7, Views: 136
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 26, 2011
7:19 PM

Post #8865209

I've tried a bunch of varieties of Aster -- and have gotten ZERO germination, with the exception of NE Asters Purple Dome ... those TALL purple ones.

Is there a trick to winter sowing these?
do the seeds have to be fresh?

I dont get it.

I'm beginning to sort last years seeds, and I found two small packets ... one, "Dark Beauty" i'd love to have, but i feel it would be a waste of time to try yet again.

thanks for any info...

Terese

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 3, 2011
7:17 AM

Post #8914711

So many plants in the asteraceae family it'd be hard to say.

This year I worked on some white wood aster and daisy fleabane. I didn't get any germination with the wwa and only a little with the fleabane. I managed 2 seedlings from the fleabane. After I dumped the soil from the failed wood aster I ended up with a plant later in the season where I dumped the soil.

Next year I will be trying the Tahoka daisy and some colorado blue aspen daisy fleabane.

Here's what the LadyBird Johnson plant database says about sowing fleabane, so it is apparently common knowledge that they are difficult to germinate:

Propagation
Description: Seeds may be sown outside in late fall or the following spring without any cold treatment. Only a small percentage of the seeds will germinate, so sow thickly. Seeds require light to germinate. A more practical method of propagation is division. Separ
Seed Collection: Nutlets develop rapidly in the 2-3 weeks following bloom period. Collect seedheads in a paper bag when the nutlets begin to turn brown. Air-dry, clean and seal in a stored, refrigerated container.
Seed Treatment: Not Available
Commercially Avail: yes

http://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=ERSP4

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 3, 2011
7:23 AM

Post #8914714

Thanks Amanda.

Maybe I'll loosen some soil, dump the seeds, stick in a plant tag and hope for the best.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 3, 2011
7:25 AM

Post #8914716

says they need light to germinate so that might be what's going wrong as we tend to cover them, don't we? ;)

Let's both have good luck with them.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 3, 2011
7:32 AM

Post #8914729

by the way - I peeked at your trade lists, and we practically have the same of everything. Let me know if there's anything I can send you overwinter to play with for next spring. I'm slow with trades, but don't expect to start seeds anytime soon.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 3, 2011
9:44 AM

Post #8914868

Thanks Amanda -- I have more seeds than i know what to do with...giving away ALL my extras in a big swap.

Most of what I have in my list is disabled ... I used to have about 350 different varieties of seeds.
Now i'm getting down to just Agastaches, Penstemons and Salvias -- along with the usual annuals.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 3, 2011
10:05 AM

Post #8914879

are you in the round robin?

I'm next on the list with Susie's/deejay9's robin going around. Looking forward to it, though I understand that the box I am about to get is mostly vegetables. Not terribly keen on that, but surely there must be something for me!

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 3, 2011
10:14 AM

Post #8914884

no -- on a different site. starlight1153 does one.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America