Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Seed Germination: Geranium seed germination

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 17, Views: 215
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cactusman8
San Marcos, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 28, 2011
3:41 PM

Post #8867323

I just received my order from Swallowtail Seeds (which arrived in 4 days!) that includes a fair amount of geranium seeds . I expect slow germination but are there any other do's or don't's that I should be aware of? Would stratification in damp paper towels be beneficial? I would appreciate any input. Paul

This message was edited Oct 28, 2011 4:45 PM
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

October 29, 2011
8:11 AM

Post #8867891

Some advise scarifying the seeds.
They seem to crumble for me, if I try to rub them on sandpaper.
So be gentle with the seeds.
They germinate fairly quickly under lights.
cactusman8
San Marcos, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 29, 2011
10:23 AM

Post #8868059

L Scott, when you recommend germinating the seeds under lights, is it the light itself or the heat generated by the lights that aids the process, do you think? Or is it rhe combination of heat and light? Thank you for your prompt reply! Paul

This message was edited Oct 29, 2011 11:25 AM
JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

October 30, 2011
12:02 AM

Post #8868751

Paul, do you mean the real Geranium or the Pelargonium?

If you have the real Geranium, they'll need cold stratification or low temperatures, depending on the specie.

Jonna
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

October 31, 2011
8:17 AM

Post #8870312

I assumed that it was the Pelargonium type which is often grown as an annual,
but which can be perennial in warm climates.
I think both the light and the warmth promote germination.
I just press the scarified seed onto the surface of the soil.
Under lights they will germinate within a few weeks.
Keep the container under lights as there are always a few stragglers.
JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

October 31, 2011
11:34 AM

Post #8870585

SLScott, you are completely right with your info if it is the Pelargonium type, but since Geranium and Pelargonium are often confused, I wanted to tell the difference between germination of hardy Geraniums.

Jonna
cactusman8
San Marcos, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 1, 2011
12:31 AM

Post #8871442

Pelargonium it is, and props to you for asking for clarification, as it appears there are significant differences in their requirements. Paul
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

November 2, 2011
9:44 AM

Post #8873267

Yes, the other Geraniums or cranesbill need different treatment to germinate from seeds. I would look them up in the data bases.

Dr. Deno's or the Tom Clothier site.
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

January 14, 2012
11:54 PM

Post #8968172

Every Pelargonium seed I planted sprouted right away. It was as if they wanted to please, right from the start. Anyway, all I did was prep the soil, place the seeds horizontally on the soil surface, lightly cover with soil, and water well, and in 5 days, The seedlings were popping up. Today, I have almost flowering size plants growing happily in a window.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

January 30, 2012
9:28 PM

Post #8988926

Paul
" Would stratification in damp paper towels be beneficial? I would appreciate any input. Paul"
Yes, that is the way I do all my seeds, including daylily seeds. But first, I soak the seeds (all) in hand hot water over night to plump them up.

Next day place in a moist kitchen towel paper and stick in a baggie placed in the fridge for 2 weeks. Check the seeds for they will sometime sprout in the fridge. If not, bring the baggie to room temp. They don't need light until the have sprouted.

Below are hardy Geranium seeds sprouting in kitchen paper just prior to planting.

Thumbnail by blomma
Click the image for an enlarged view.

cactusman8
San Marcos, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 31, 2012
4:18 PM

Post #8989866

Blomma, do you know how long it took to begin sprouting after stratification began?

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

January 31, 2012
6:57 PM

Post #8990090

I looked it up in my book and I placed them in the fridge March 2. They sprouted March 20. I didn't mark how long they were in the fridge, or how long at room temp. They were sown in 2009. It was actually a test to see how viable all my different seeds were. They were old, some from 2001. I even did hardy Hibiscus seeds this way that were old. Nicked soaked then in kitchen paper placed in a warm spot. They sprouted in 2 days.

I will never sow seed in soil again. It is called the Deno method from Dr Deno who invented it. It also how my son sows his seeds. Works for veggie seeds also.
Ironsides
Eastlake, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2012
9:36 PM

Post #8994042

I plant my geranium seeds in a soiless mix, no deepr then 1/4 inch. Cover them and water with warm water. Cover them with plastic wrap, and place on a heat mat, set temperature at 73 degrees. They should germinate in 3-7 days. Once they are up, place them under grow lights.

"Stay Happy and Keep Gardening!"
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

February 18, 2012
9:06 PM

Post #9011631

This is my first attempt at geraniums (pelargoniums) from seed. I decided on a mix of methods from DG and my past experience- special thanks to Blomma, and, of course, Deno. I soaked them - 10 seeds- in hand hot water overnight, then put them in a damp paper towel in a Baggie. (I used 10:1 water/peroxide throughout). I put the Baggie on a shelf above a light (not hot, just slightly warmer than ambient). In two days I had 4, and 4 more the next day. I discarded the other two, I don't need so.many. I planted them in ParkStarts sponges in a Biodome. The sponges are left over from last year. They smelled a little musty, so I soaked them in the 10:1 solution to clean them up. I moved the Biodome under the light- it's a T-5, also from last year. Now, two days later, they all look great. Probably tomorrow I will take the top off. When they are ready to move, I will put them in 2" pots that are deep enough to accommodate the sponges, and fill with potting mix.

One of my big challenges is space. I want a lot of variety, so that means using containers that are no bigger than they have to be for healthy plants. In April I will have a lot more room and can pot up if necessary.

Every year is a new learning experience!

Pam

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

February 19, 2012
9:26 AM

Post #9012016

Thanks Pam, Glad I was of help.

I should have mentioned that not all geraniums require stratification in the fridge. PELAGONIUMS are garden geraniums and not hardy. Only hardy geraniums require stratification---moisture with cold. PELAGONIUMS will benefit from moist towel but don't need the shilling in the fridge.

Below are my 4 different hardy Geraniums. Only "Vision" (dark pink) was started from seeds. No seeds are available for the otheres and the blue don't set seeds. Bought all from Walmart, except Vision. Seeds from Parks.

This message was edited Feb 19, 2012 10:28 AM

Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma
Click an image for an enlarged view.

DonShirer
Westbrook, CT
(Zone 6a)

February 20, 2012
6:09 AM

Post #9012959

Hmm. I wish I had seen this thread two weeks ago when I had two packs of Swallowtail Geraniums to plant. Not having much experience with geranium seeds (I usually reproduce mine by cuttings taken indoors in fall) I just planted them in sterilized mix over a heating pad. all 10 from one variety sprouted in less than a week (but two are stunted and I don't think they will make it), but only 6 out of 10 came up from the other variety.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

February 20, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9014099

Don ~ I did the very same thing. I just put them in a mix under lights and over heat. They took a short time to emerge. So then I did the same with gerbera, and now they are up as well.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 22, 2012
6:39 AM

Post #9015638

I have grown pelargoniums from seed several times. I did no preparation. I simply put them on the surface of the soil (indoors) in peat pots under 40 watt florescent bulbs hanging from shop lights and got 100% germination in three days.

The seed were Park's Velvet series. The are expensive, but I have consistently gotten 100% germination from theis series of seeds..

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America