Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Peppers: Wiri Wiri Pepper (C frutescens) v Tepin Pepper (C annuum)

Communities > Forums > Peppers
bookmark
Forum: PeppersReplies: 3, Views: 79
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

October 29, 2011
12:08 AM

Post #8867683

I acquired Wiri Wiri seeds. I was doing a bit of research and found that Wiri Wiri Pepper (C frutescens) looks very similar to Tepin Pepper (C annuum). My question is "are they the same plant?". Can anyone tell me the difference between the two plant if they are not the same? They look so much alike I can not tell the difference.

Thanks Bunches,
Rhapsody

Thumbnail by Rhapsody616
Click the image for an enlarged view.

smokemaster
North Hills, CA

October 29, 2011
1:03 AM

Post #8867691

From what I've read the Wiri Wiri can be either Chinense or Frutescens.
One is from Jamaica the other from Guyana.
I have seeds for both but haven't grown them out yet.

How to tell what you have-Annuum etc.

http://chilipepperproject.wordpress.com/2010/06/28/chili-pepper-plant-identification-flowers/

This message was edited Oct 29, 2011 12:06 AM
rjogden
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 10, 2011
2:53 PM

Post #8885114

[quote="smokemaster"]From what I've read the Wiri Wiri can be either Chinense or Frutescens.
One is from Jamaica the other from Guyana.
[/quote]

Ah...common names. The bane of dedicated horticulturists everywhere. How many species of "Snakeweed" do you think there are?

Seriously, common names are the next thing to worthless when they're borrowed from native peoples speaking local languages and dialects. In many cases the words simply indicate what the plant is used for or some important or especially noticeable characteristic. In just as many cases they are based on an approximation of the sound made by the native speaker, which may actually bear little resemblance to the actual pronunciation of the word.

Here's one for you: There are two plants with the common name "Mistletoe". One grows in Europe, one in North America. Both are parasitic on broadleaf trees. Both have olive-green, leathery leaves arranged identically on the stems. Both produce white berries which are eaten by birds, which in turn act as the vector for their spread by "dropping" the seeds in the fissures of tree bark. They are completely unrelated, but it takes a magnifying glass and a detailed knowledge of floral anatomy to detect the difference visually. Both have been used medicinally. One acts as a sedative and calming agent that reduces blood pressure; the other can cause fatal hypertension in roughly the same dose.

-Rich
Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

November 14, 2011
11:04 AM

Post #8889939

smokemaster, Thank you for your input and the wonderful site. It seems many kinds of peppers and tomatoes fall into the same scientific specie and family name yet have visual differences. Take C. annuum. Bell peppers, cayenne, paprika, and jalapeņos all fall under the same family but are very different in smell, taste, feel and BTU. Again thank you for your insight!

Rhapsody

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Peppers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Name This Sweet, Sweet Pepper Tplant 117 Apr 3, 2008 12:24 AM
pepper plants started HERBIE43 7 Oct 11, 2007 12:56 PM
Hungarian Hot Wax Peppers - What Do You Do With Them? Breezymeadow 21 Mar 20, 2008 2:58 AM
fish peppers up and growing HERBIE43 32 Jul 24, 2009 8:35 PM
Peppers resource thread - opinions & suggestions, please Terry 13 Aug 31, 2010 10:38 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America