Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Hoyas: Hoya lacunosa 'Royal Flush'

Communities > Forums > Hoyas
bookmark
Forum: HoyasReplies: 15, Views: 172
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

October 30, 2011
3:54 PM

Post #8869555

I have two Hoyas - lacunosa 'Royal Flush' and an unlabeled plant I believe is a carnosa. The carnosa is really digging the South/West facing window (protected by vertical blinds) and I'm wondering if it's a good idea to put the lacunosa over there?
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 4, 2011
5:03 AM

Post #8875857

I sure can't give you advice. I killed a lacunosa without ever knowing how. LOL

You might try it and watch it. The light isn't as bright in winter for you is it?
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

November 4, 2011
8:52 AM

Post #8876162

I've heard the same thing from a few others who had lacunosa. I hope I'm lucky and it does well. I've had a few friends suggest other hoyas but I can't seem to find them locally.

No, it's not as bright. I have to open the blinds a bit more in winter. There are two "hot spots" for bright light in our house. At this point and time it's not digging one location so I'm hoping a brighter location might make it happy.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 4, 2011
4:30 PM

Post #8876781

Will be interesting to see how it does... please keep us posted?

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 5, 2011
1:56 AM

Post #8877222

Both those hoya's like pretty bright light...My lacunosa grows on the Southwest corner of my covered porch and get's quite strong light in the afternoons. It stays there cause it's been in constant bloom since March and the fragrance is wonderful

here's a look from the bottom up...

Thumbnail by mjsponies
Click the image for an enlarged view.

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 5, 2011
2:18 AM

Post #8877225

Wow, that is a beauty and fragrant, too.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 5, 2011
4:35 AM

Post #8877298

Don't change a thing! That is lovely!
Describe the fragrance?

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 5, 2011
5:01 AM

Post #8877323

To me it's a bit like Night Blooming Jasmine, only softer. Strongest during the evening and early morning. When I had it in the greenhouse last winter, I'd open the door and the whole greenhouse would be filled with it...but not overpowering at all.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 5, 2011
5:06 AM

Post #8877331

Ahhh ~ delightful!

No problem with freezes this winter?
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 5, 2011
5:06 AM

Post #8877333

mj, should it every need a trim, I'd love a cutting. I hope to be able to visit you sometime this winter, weather and budget cooperating.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 5, 2011
5:12 AM

Post #8877340

If we get cold enough for frost or freeze then they come inside the house or in the greenhouse.
The warmer growing hoya's are already inside, but there are quite a few that can stay out and even prefer cool weather.
Keeping fingers crossed we don't have winter's like the last 2.

Mittsy I'd love for you to come visit !!
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

November 5, 2011
10:16 AM

Post #8877623

Thanks for the input MJ :) I took mine out of the hanging basket because I can't hang it over there. It has a nice new pot and a trellis, although I need a sturdier trellis.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 5, 2011
5:09 PM

Post #8878047

What ever Hoya's any of you have, do some research. They are a very versatileand forgiving plant, and some are soooo easy. While many are known for their foliage, some have very fragrant and beautiful blooms, and so many more are available now. Take a chance, it's not unlike so many other plants we grow. You just have to know what will grow best for you zone, or be able to provide the conditions they prefer. They are by no means a "one is the same plant"
LadyAshleyR
Oakland, MD

January 22, 2012
1:13 PM

Post #8977814

I think I killed my lacunosa 'royal flush' overnight by accident.
It was particularly cold that night, and I guess the temperature in the window sill plummeted.
I immediately took it out the next day.
It's proceeded to shrivel up, and fall apart.
Which really bites, as it was a favorite.
If it dies, I'll be looking for a replacement this spring if anyone has good cuttings, or small plant starts.

This message was edited Jan 22, 2012 4:14 PM
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

January 22, 2012
2:48 PM

Post #8977972

Someone sent me a lacunosa cutting and it really took off fast. Produced flowers very quickly. When (if) I get some spare time I plan on taking a few cuttings off it and rooting them. The old story - you can't have too many.
LadyAshleyR
Oakland, MD

January 22, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #8978181

Yeah mine wasn't big enough to take cuttings from quite yet.
It was just getting there

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hoyas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Carol Noel order just came in. Dianne492 14 Oct 6, 2008 12:55 AM
Collection of your favorite informational Hoya links PanamonCreel 20 Dec 14, 2009 11:56 PM
Variegated & Green leaf on Kerrii ACsAgapePlants 4 Mar 2, 2009 3:29 AM
Big leaves meltn 75 Jul 14, 2007 3:14 PM
Hoya Jackpot in Vegas!! ACsAgapePlants 26 Apr 13, 2008 10:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America