Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Sewing and Quilting: Home sewing business...

Communities > Forums > Sewing and Quilting
bookmark
Forum: Sewing and QuiltingReplies: 13, Views: 126
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 31, 2011
6:18 AM

Post #8870159

Has anyone in this thread ever started and are doing their own home sewing business? I am looking into alterations..with a few "on the side" things...like a boutique kind of shop. I was just curious if anyone else was doing this..and how is it going in this economy. I have been getting alot more requests as of late for alterations, due to people trying to wear what they have as long as possible, and still look good.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 31, 2011
6:29 AM

Post #8870170

I should think alterations would be a good choice. My aunt used to manage alterations for Jacobson's. After they closed, she retired and now does some at home. She's like to fully retire but past customers are still keeping her busy.
I think if you can get the word out, you would be as busy as you want to be.
Canadastrid
Saskatoon
Canada

October 31, 2011
7:36 AM

Post #8870256

Yes here in town same thing, there are 2 or 3 ladies taking in sewing, and according to them, there is enough work for a few more.
When people find out I can sew..I get asked, but always say no, because i don't want to...but why not just try?
Get some flyers made up, get your name out, I bet you you will get work in no time.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 31, 2011
7:45 AM

Post #8870272

Post at grocery stores and maybe dry cleaners that don't do alterations, even any local stores that will allow it. If you have a small local paper you might run an ad there too.

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 31, 2011
8:54 AM

Post #8870372

I do alterations at home. I have an ad in the local paper. I have lots of people glad to find someone who sews, here ther aren't many who do.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 31, 2011
10:59 AM

Post #8870551

I agree with the others, alterations are a nice way to stay at home, but still work. Once the word gets around, you'll probably have more than you want to keep busy! Both my hubby and FIL have short arms, so every long sleeve shirt they buy has to be taken up or they just fold the cuffs back. That's fine for flannels and casuals, but not dress shirts. FIL used to take his shirts/pants to the local tailor, but after paying $18 to have the last shirt altered, he's chosen not to buy too many more long sleeves.
We lived in the country growing up, and even though most of the farm women did their own sewing, there was one woman who did more mending jobs for others. She had so much to do, she ended up hiring 2 of her granddaughters and a daughter to help keep up.
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 31, 2011
11:29 AM

Post #8870581

Thank you all of you for the helpful replies! I still am setting up the place, and I have to check and see if a business license is required for it. This location was a business previously...so it should be listed somewhere in the county or city. We are in one county...rurual...but our mailing address is in another town, 10 miles away, in another county. I have no idea why.
But, anyway...I have alot to do before I turn the "open" sign on.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 31, 2011
2:12 PM

Post #8870803

Good Luck to you and your endeavor. I'm betting you will do well.
Canadastrid
Saskatoon
Canada

November 1, 2011
4:05 PM

Post #8872335

You are going in a building..not at home I understand now.
Here in town, one lady who took on sewing and alterations, had a second hand store also (and a laundromat)
She has moved now, but she did very well.

GOOD LUCK
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 2, 2011
8:03 AM

Post #8873157

canadastrid- Yes, it is a totally separate building on our property. It has been a business beofre we bought the place...but they sold VHS movies, plants, used clothes and books, etc...from what I can tell. I haven't been able to find anything about it on the internet though. I did find the other 2 businesses though...they were in the woodshop and at the 3rd address on this property.
Canadastrid
Saskatoon
Canada

November 11, 2011
9:23 AM

Post #8885919

How is everything coming along?

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

November 12, 2011
10:00 AM

Post #8887041

Having projects to keep you busy when you are "not working" will be key to keeping your sanity during the down times. If it's got LOTS of spare room, I'd be thinking about a long-arm quilting machine!
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 12, 2011
12:30 PM

Post #8887259

I've been out of action for a week due to a kidney stone. Went to the ER...glad it wasn't one of the other possibilities. Just getting back into the swing of things...

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

November 12, 2011
3:23 PM

Post #8887470

OUCH... those are certainly painful little buggers!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing and Quilting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM
Looking for a Shopping Cart Cover Pattern???? red_princess_71 17 Jan 4, 2010 9:44 AM
Necktie Skirts & Purses SandiTX 4 Oct 7, 2008 3:15 AM
Lascaux.....and brush water melody 27 Feb 29, 2008 7:46 PM
Free Accessory Patterns Yuska 13 Apr 18, 2008 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America