Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Bradford Pear Tree (To plant or not to plant): Bradford pear

Communities > Forums > Article: Bradford Pear Tree (To plant or not to plant)
bookmark
Forum: Article: Bradford Pear Tree (To plant or not to plant)Replies: 0, Views: 5
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jglenncox
Antlers, OK

October 31, 2011
6:38 AM

Post #8870181

I can't offer a suggestion about this plant living longer. I planted one just to have one. Mine is 22 years old, quite large, and survived the horrible 2011 drought without any help from me. After learning of the problems of the branches growing from one spot on the trunk (which is a characteristic of this tree), I started pruning it while young so that the branches developed at random along the trunk. Today that particular characteristic is not a feature of my tree although the overall shape of the tree is the "pear shape". The tree may not live many more years, but I believe it will reach old-age without branches breaking away from the trunk.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Bradford Pear Tree (To plant or not to plant) Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
reminds me of the Norway Maple! carrielamont 4 Feb 27, 2008 8:03 PM
Great Article! JanetS 2 Oct 15, 2007 2:41 AM
New Start LouC 15 Sep 18, 2010 7:37 PM
Super informative - thanks! Dea 7 Oct 17, 2007 1:40 PM
trinity pear cathy4 1 Oct 14, 2007 6:12 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America