Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Cooking: Romertopf Cooker

Communities > Forums > Cooking
bookmark
Forum: CookingReplies: 3, Views: 38
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
texasbelle
Mid Gulf Coast, TX
(Zone 9b)

October 31, 2011
1:00 PM

Post #8870668

Good Afternoon!

I purchased a Romertopf 111 cooker at an estate sale over the weekend for $2.00. How do I clean it before using it...it looks like it has been used, but also has a lot of "gunk" in it. Can I put it in the dishwasher? What about cleaning it with bleach? I don't think soaking it in a bleach solution is a good idea...but as I don't know where it's been or what's been in it...I want to clean it really, really, really good! (The house the estate sale was in was none too clean!!!) I hate to ruin it in the cleaning process.

Thanks.

TB
Edens_Gardener
Clay Center, KS
(Zone 5b)

November 1, 2011
5:37 AM

Post #8871559

Here are a few tips http://www.ehow.com/how_5185955_clean-romertopf.htm
I wonder if white vinegar could be used and then rinse or soak it well?
texasbelle
Mid Gulf Coast, TX
(Zone 9b)

November 1, 2011
4:26 PM

Post #8872376

Thanks, Edens, for the link...I think I will start with the dishwasher with no soap, then try one of the other suggestions if I still have doubts about how clean (or not) it is...I'm afraid even the vinegar might flavor whatever is cooked in the as the article said about soap. Perhaps the heat of the oven will kill any little beasties that might be lurking in the pores!!!!!

TB

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

November 10, 2011
5:18 PM

Post #8885255

Texasbelle, I just wash mine well with plenty of hot water and something like a dobie pad or other nylon scrubber. I think that would do the trick for you. My dad gave me one many years ago and I've just begun using it again; it's great for tenderizing things and for enhancing flavors.

When you cook with it that will sterilize it further. And you're supposed to soak them in water for about ten minutes before using them so they'll absorb water and gently steam your food a bit, but I often don't bother.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America