Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Central Midwest Gardening: November 2011

Communities > Forums > Central Midwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Central Midwest GardeningReplies: 105, Views: 682
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

November 1, 2011
3:27 AM

Post #8871478

I just made new thread for November 2011...

Nice roses blossoms

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Click the image for an enlarged view.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 1, 2011
5:10 AM

Post #8871540

Happ,
Running a store would be a lot of work and maybe being there after retiring would be better.

My bed came from my Great Aunt. It was her inlaws bed. It's all one piece with two or three concrete counterweight bricks set in the back. I pull it down from the top and the free hanging legs set right down.

Will,
Great plants!!

I have a few rocks that look like that! I like them. Especially the shapes of the long and the flat.

I thought a person had to keep to the original appearance on the historical houses. I'll bet the new owners will have to make some expensive changes.

My windows are filthy. I just remembered I told DH yesterday I need to try and wash them. I guess I better even tho it was supposed to rain. I think our chances are now slim to none.

Being on a ladder that rickity is definitely dangerous. Don't do it.

ROTFL! I put a question mark where ever I want! If they want to sell a plant rather than lose it, I guess the money is good enough. Your good luck to get it so cheap!

I told DH last night as we were turning off the light and putting the storm window back in the door, that if someone wanted to do a home invasion all they would have to do on Halloween is knock right after you turned off the light and locked the door. You would likely open it to treat the last kid. Not me. I shut the curtain after 5 minutes of waiting for a last kid and turned all lights down low so it didn't look like we were here.

Sadly, DH wouldn't go to a RU or let me go alone.

WOW! The very top room is mine!

Thanks for the new thread Rusty!

Oh my, what a gorgeous rose!

Flower photos are going to look so good all winter.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

November 1, 2011
7:49 AM

Post #8871708

Last night, I had the small end table sit on front porch and put the big orange bowl and fill up the candies and I put sign on it as "Please take as 2 candies Thanks! I draw a smile ;-) Happy Halloween!" so only my step-grandkids came by and get some candies so I notice it so good kids... After 1 hr later, I peek at the window and 3 black boys walk up on my driveway and they saw the sign as I put on it "BEWARE OF DOGS" one boy ran off as they hear my dogs bark so madly! lol...so I close it up before 9 pm... Also I put some fake jack o' lanterns on front porch and 1 inside, too!
I did turn the light off and watch TV...

I made this first one that I keep it and has for 10 yrs. and I still have the pattern somewhere in boxes...

Thumbnail by JuJu55

birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 1, 2011
10:29 AM

Post #8871906

Happ, I reviewed my use of baking pies with a pizza stone. I figured out what my problem was with the mushy apples! When you use a pizza stone, you need to bring the oven to 450 degrees. Bake the pie at 450* for 10 minutes, then drop the temperature to 350* for 30 to 35 minutes. I did not reduce my heat, so the apples baked to mush. I just wanted to let you know this in case you try using a pizza stone when you bake pies. And, pie "season" is coming up!!! Using a pizza stone really makes for a nice crispy crust. Happy Pie Baking.

Having great weather--about 65 degrees with lots of sunshine and no wind. All plants are "tucked in" for the winter. We're still getting lots of flowers: roses, Victoria Blue Salvia, snaps etc.

I make a peanut butter mix for the birds in the winter time. They love it and it draws a crowd! Hubby read peanut butter is going up by 30 to 40 percent. He wants me to go buy peanut butter today for the rest of the winter's bird mix.

Trees are still gorgeous! I planted all of my Larkspur seed. I had about 8 packages. Of course, there's not much in the commercial seed packages.

I can't believe it's already November. We have had beautiful weather since Labor Day. Daylight Savings Time starts this Saturday. I hate it when it gets dark sooo early.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 1, 2011
5:39 PM

Post #8872483

Here I am!!

Thumbnail by pepper23

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 1, 2011
7:15 PM

Post #8872644

Good costume, Pepper!

The very top room is yours, billyp? Are you talking about that old house's cupola? A cupola is neat, what a nice getaway it would be up there to look out.

Somebody else musta taken a shine to those rocks also, the big carrying sized yellow ones were gone or else they looked different from the road before. I'd like to get this one big, but pretty flat one there eventually.
I'm gonna have to be more prepared to get it though, I'd be taking a chance on blowing something vital out, it is big. I might take my dolly if it'll fit in the back seat.

We forgot to turn the porch light off when it got dark, at 7:00 here comes 5 little kids! So, I hurriedly got some big candy bars (Milky Way Caramel). I gave all the little kids one, then waited about 2 minutes after they left then turned off the porch light. About 30 minutes later, the doorbell is ringing and somebody is knocking with no light on out there! I hear a kid yelling "trick or treat!". I'm thinking, "oh boy, this is great". I didn't go to the door. They apparently knew the other kids and they wanted them a big candy bar too!

Yeah, nice Rose there Rusty. I am getting 'Penny Lane' in the Spring, it's a climber, I am getting it in an order with Pepper. It's similar to yours in color, kind of an apricot color, but I think the shape of the flower will be different. - http://www.pickeringnurseries.com/web_store.cgi?cod=07pel If I remember she was getting 'Penny Lane' too.
Will
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 2, 2011
9:44 AM

Post #8873266

Love that rose Rusty, we sure are gonna miss those, I have a rose bud forming but I think it will get frozen off tonight.
Had to laugh about the pattern in a box...hummm seems like I have some of those boxes, I would hate to try and find something in mine...;)

Pepper, I love your costume! Some of the parents taking their kids trick or treating were dressed up, but most were not. I think it would be fun to dress up, I had one really good Halloween party and everyone dressed to the hilt, it was great. Now everyone is a stuffed shirt...

Birder when I got snowed in last year I made a ton of that bird stuff with the peanut butter, we had one of those commerical size thing of peanut butter and I spent the day making those, they are all frozen away and waiting for bad weather. Yeah I have heard because of trade, price of corn and bad crop year they are gonna get us on peanut butter. I rarely eat it and DH can't eat it anymore. (Corn prices are huge so everyone is planting corn instead of peanuts so I heard).

Will how is the climber I gave you doing? I had forgotten about it.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 2, 2011
1:52 PM

Post #8873514

In this photo you can see the stone block exterior walls peeking out. How can you cover that up? It prolly was insulation issues, but still.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 2, 2011

Post #8873516

Oh I got rocks alright! Here is my small car haul! You're not with the rock police are you, happ?! And besides, I'm beautifying the roads with my pilfering!

I've been emailing the realtor about that house, the buyer's agent sounds alright, but the listing agent sounds like a real peach. He or she says they didn't think that house is on the historical registry, when indeed it is.
And she/he says that's not vinyl siding, I'm pretty sure it is. Most realtors are so self-convinced that potential buyers will try anything or make up bad stuff about a property to get it cheaper that they won't even consider something like the siding isn't appropriate for a historic home. In the second email to the buyer's agent, (I'm sure he is sharing with the listing agent) I posted links and photos establishing the facts, I haven't heard back.
But I'm guessing their in quite a tizzy now. For one, I mentioned how the city could require that a new owner recover the original siding. I was polite and everything, it is a little disappointing all the "updating" that has been done to this 141 year old home. I've told them that I'm not even interested in buying the house at this time. I told them it looks like a dollhouse now, it does, I'm pretty sure it's because of that nasty shiny siding, of course I didn't say nasty!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 2, 2011

Post #8873517

Hi happ, that climber is doing great, it isn't blooming this year but it will probably will next year. It's on one side of that arbor and the 'Penny Lane' Rose that I'm getting in April is going on the other side.
The Cleomes shot up good, their done blooming now but it put on quite a show for a while. Haha! Unmodernized might be a word! If McMansion and ginormous are, unmodernized just might be!
I still have to mow, so disregard the taller grass and the leaves. I have yet to put the blade back on the pushmower after I sharpened it on my Mom's bench grinder the other day.

Hi Bernie! I bet it's getting cold in MN., it is getting cold here!

Speaking of costumes, this little kid trick or treated as a little Iron Man, it was cool! This little Iron Man looking up with his bag open, I tell you, it was comical!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 2, 2011
2:51 PM

Post #8873573

omg, that house has either two air conditioners or two heat pumps, that in itself is scary. Being stone I wouldn't think insulation would of been such a big issue, was it all stone? Some small towns probably don't have any rules on old houses...Plattsburg had this building not sure what it was but had a balcony that looked down below, some guy used it to store construction stuff in it. He was trying to sell it, I kept telling DH I wanted it, because it had the signatures of women who worked as nurses during the civil war written in the wood on the balcony. The building didn't sell, but did catch fire and burn down to the ground...so sad to lose that piece of history.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqdBOlkCUKw

This short youtube shows just a inkling of the beautiful houses in Plattsburg. He doesn't tell you a thing about David Rice Atchison from Plattsburg who served as President for a day...
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 2, 2011
5:57 PM

Post #8873832

Yep, Will and I are both getting Penny Lane. I am also getting Westerland. http://pickeringnurseries.com/web_store.cgi?cod=09wes

It is RAINING!!!!! Whooo hoooo!!!! And snow behind it!!! Don't get much better than this!!!

Will, next year get a bag of candy to have on hand just in case. lol. Just make sure it's a kind you like. lol
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 2, 2011
6:37 PM

Post #8873880

I don't think I posted the ghost that was out when we were trick or treating, this guy was on stilts and stood about 10 feet tall. He would stand still then when folks would turn to go down the sidewalk he would walk up behind them...it was soooo funny. I don't know where he got all that fabric my gosh. This guy could walk on these stilts as well as I can walk normal.

Thumbnail by happgarden

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 3, 2011
3:26 AM

Post #8874251

Rusty,
I can't believe you didn't have a lot of Trick or treaters. Nice kids to only take what the sign said.
Grinning over the dogs baking. I'll bet it sounded just like they would come rushing out the door any second!
I think your pumpkin is really cute. I'm not good at arts and crafts.

Birder,
That would explain the mush!

We too, just bought a large jar the other day. I buy the generic chunky PB, raisins and oatmeal for the bird cakes. I need to make mine up pretty soon too. Since I have a long wooden feeder with the cage on the bottom, two store bought cakes don't fit. By making my own, I can make it fit.

Pepper,
Grinning! You are so adorable!!

Will,
Yep. Put me wayy up there!
Don't get the big rock if it's too much to handle by yourself. Put your back out once and you're done for.
Oh yeah, they wanted big candy!! For all they knew, you left to go to a Halloween Party and weren't home.

Happ,
I think everyone who does Halloween parties or goes T or T should dress up. That's the point of it all.
So that's why the PB is going up in price. We do eat it, but the grandkids could take it or leave it.

Will,
It's a beautiful stone foundation. What a shame.
Cracking up over you catching the realators!
Very nice haul of rocks!
The kid sounds cute. I had a little one who's suit was all muscles. Cracked me up!
The rose looks great!

Happ,
Awesome houses!
Oh my, what a shame to have lost the names and the house!
Yayy David Atchison :o)
The ghost looks like he's wearing construction stilts. They use them for ceiling work and do get around pretty good. But what an awesome idea! I'll bet he had so much fun and those scared did too!

I can't wait to see how much rain we got! I had taken the guage in when we were freezing, but put it back out anticipating rain.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 3, 2011
7:47 AM

Post #8874529

My bird suet is crumbly kind of like cookie dough. I guess I could "compact" it. I hadn't really thought about it. My recipe just says to make it like cookie dough and set it out for the birds. My recipe calls for cornmeal instead of oatmeal. I don't know which is cheaper, but I am thinking the cornmeal. It also calls for raisins, sunflower seeds, and coarsley ground peanuts, peanut butter and lard. I can't always find the peanuts or the sunflower seeds. If anyone knows who routinely carries them, please let me know. We had a robin visit our bird bath yesterday. It's kind of late for her to be around. I also give my birds mealworms, suet cakes and woodpecker popsicles. Well, they're not really "popsicles"--they are rectangular sunflower seed blocks you hang up. Woodpeckers love them.

Pepper---really nice costume.

We received rain early this AM. It's suppose to rain off and on all day today. It's suppose to be rather chilly and windy today, but nice for the weekend.

I planted more tulip and hyacinth bulbs yesterday. I have a pkg. of tulips and a pkg of hyacinths that I am going to try to force. I doubt they will do much. I don't really have a good set up for forcing bulbs. I just crave that early flower bloom in January and February. I have crocus I still need to plant. When the bulbs go on sale, I am going to buy some crocus to put on my folk's graves. You're not suppose to put stuff on the graves due to the mowing, but I figure the crocus will be gone by the time they start mowing. Grave sites look so barren and boring.

I still need to pot up my Amaryllis. Then, I think I will be finished with the planting for this year.

I do intend to start some plants from seed this spring. I have done winter sowing in the past, but I hope to refrain this year. I get bored and then, here I go--with the winter sowing. I have much better luck with perennials from seed than I do annuals. The annuals are so small, by the time you set them out, it's too hot, and you have to really baby them. I think I would rather pay two bucks for a six pack and get them in the ground sooner. Trouble with that plan is, I always buy more than "a" six pack--I buy many six packs!!

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

November 3, 2011
10:51 AM

Post #8874808

As I read this and it terrible lost all the libraries books lost and destory on May 22 tornado :

http://www.joplinglobe.com/local/x57155019/Joplin-library-lost-1-200-to-1-500-books-DVDs-in-May-22-storm
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 3, 2011
10:53 AM

Post #8874809

I am gonna have to try the pizza stone crust apple pie, thank you for telling me what happened. I am in hopes these apples aren't too mushy to begin with, some were a little old but not horrible.

I love annuals also but gosh it sure gets expensive if you can't find some good prices, I usually go to the farmers market in kc in the spring but I sure drop alot of money. I know a nursery and they buy the plugs and then baby them up a month or so to sell. Problem with plugs you have to buy a whole sheet of them, the price is good but that many of one thing is usually more than I want. You will have to transplant them a couple of times before they are really ready to sit out. Don't get me wrong I understand the cost, fuel to heat is not cheap, but like everyone my income is not going up.

Birder my suet is like what the suet cakes are like, I hadn't heard of the crumbly and I used corn meal and some oat mill just for the heck of it. I get alot of woodpeckers and cardnials in the winter. The cardinals against the snow are so beautiful.

No snow or frost at my house last night but alot of high winds and alot of rain, finally!

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 3, 2011
2:23 PM

Post #8875024

Rusty that is one of those things you don't think about! Books out of print are irreplaceable. Insurance is always something, there is some rider or something you did/didn't do, so you miss the qualifications.

When I lived in the city I used the library all the time and was shocked to hear Clinton County doesn't participate in the library funding so in turn we have no libraries up here...

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

November 3, 2011
3:04 PM

Post #8875088

Well, I have a over thousand of books in my house now and I going to get start sell it sooner I get all ready for and it will be in eBay...

Freeze Warning:

http://www.accuweather.com/us/mo/joplin/64801/watches-warnings.asp

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 3, 2011
5:51 PM

Post #8875338

Birder, Feldmans and other feed stores carry sunflower seed year round. For peanuts ( not shelled) I found this online source that carries a 25Ib case. http://www.nutsonline.com/nuts/peanuts/jumbo-raw-intheshell.html They have other kinds of nuts too. I think the prices are pretty reasonable.

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 3, 2011
7:58 PM

Post #8875558

Ewww.. sorry to hear about the loss of so many books. Makes you wonder how many photo albums, paintings, old family papers and just important papers got ruined the same way.

Yes indeed, no back trouble for me if I can help it! If I can get my 2 wheeler (dolly) to it, I think I can maneuver it okay, maybe I can get a 2 second burst of strength, long enuff to get it into my trunk! I've already picked it up, but only momentarily, that's how I know it's gonna be a sonofagun! I'll take gloves and a big belt to hold my guts and stuff in! If it's too heavy I'll leave it, its not worth getting injured.

Haha happ! That little head ghost looks like those funny people with the little heads in Beetlejuice. Years ago, I laid under my friend's parked car in his driveway and grabbed little kid's ankles to scare them!

I liked that Walmart commercial for candy where the little girl takes way more than one piece that the sign said and she says, "I can't read".

Those 2 units appeared to be ac units, maybe one for the upstairs and one for the downstairs. I googled, "Goodman" from the photo and they manufacture ac and heating units, but it looked like they're ac units for sale.

I'm not really one to get excited about "ghosts" in old houses, B&B's or motel/hotels, I think they say that alot to try to get business! Now, if I one day have an old house and there's ghosts in it, maybe I'll think different then!

Haha! A bag of candy eh?! I do like a good piece of candy on occasion!

Oh yes, lots of rain yesterday! I was glad to see my plants out there get a good soaking this time of year, it has been so dry.

No, the living room light was on bright when they came trick or treating when the porch light was off, and they may have seen the shadow of me getting up to go across the room. I think I know who it was, it was a neighbor guy's vehicle, he's a jackbutt anyway!

I watched that video, happ, it was pretty interesting on the historic houses in Plattsburg, MO. As far as I recall, that house was all stone, that made it stand out even more. How I wish it was closer and I had the finances and stuff to get it!
I don't know if the realtors feel caught or anything, their ignoring me now, they just don't reply to my email. When I said I'm not really interested in the house, when they read that, they may not have even read anymore. I think realtors are only interested in their commission, they'd prolly sell you a polished dog turd, they don't care. For any litigious realtors out there who think of suing for slander, you'd lose, because that's opinion only, hence the 2 words "I think"..lol Hey, I watch Judge Judy!

Yeah, what a shame for such an old, historic house to burn down and everything in it. Old houses have such a history to me, I too am partial to them. Now, not so crazy about buying new roofing, new wiring and all the maintenance that comes with an old house!

Speaking of age, I saw that Giant Sequoia in the Giant Sequoia National Forest in CA. fall, they didn't know why the celebrity tree fell, maybe the saturated ground they said. They showed it on the ground, it is huge. A tourist captured it on video falling, quite a spectacle. They said they know a tree that falls in the forest does indeed make a noise!

Eeek, you make your own suet cakes?! Not me, I'll have to buy them and I have five suet cages! I can only make toast.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 4, 2011
11:54 AM

Post #8876373

Rusty have your read all those books? I love to read but I am not a fast reader. The real problem if I find a book and start reading, I lose alot of sleep because if it is any good I can't put it down...LOL If anyone likes true stort thies and mountain climbing (love reading about it have no desire to do it) read INTO THIN AIR. I know they made a movie about it but the book is amazing...

I think I lived in a haunted house one time. The front door would open and close on it's own (finally had to leave it locked all the time), and the blinds would go up on their own, kitchen cabinet doors would open and close at random. It made my X kind of crazy so he was always trying to find why these things were happening, we changed the blinds, he measured and leveled everything, but it never stopped. The most distrubing was our two big dogs we had them since they were pups and they would sit at the entrace of the hallway and cry and cry cause they wanted to come to the bedroom but didn't want to come down the hallway, then all of sudden they would make a bolt for the bedroom, running as fast as they could, feet flying everywhere, you sure didn't want to get in their way, then when they had to go back down the hallway the same thing would go on, they would sit in the bedroom and cry and cry, then go flying down the hallway. The house had a crawl space and my X thought there must be something under the house causing the dogs to be so weird, so under the house he went (no way was I going) but again nothing. At first it was distrubing but then you got kind of use to it. One evening at home a friend was waiting for me to change clothes when the front door opened and the cabinet door opened, then closed and she went running out of the house and refused to come back in...LOL We lived there about 2 years before moving to Texas and to the day we left, it was still going on.

I had bought the house from an estate and ask my Mom (she knew the people) if gentleman had died in the house, Mom asked, then came back and told me, No that he hadn't, then looked at me and said, now I don't know about his wife...rofl. So she assured me for about 1/2 second...LOL

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 4, 2011
5:33 PM

Post #8876872

There is a ghost at the old 1912 building in Odessa too. My dad has heard him talking him before and a friend of ours has heard him too. He's a very friendly ghost though. I hate being in the building at night though. 3 stories of brick and at least 5 different sets of stairs is not my thing at night. lol

Happ, I would have run out too but would have come back in once I figured out what was going on. lol

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

November 5, 2011
5:35 AM

Post #8877357

happgarden wrote:
Rusty have your read all those books? I love to read but I am not a fast reader. The real problem if I find a book and start reading, I lose alot of sleep because if it is any good I can't put it down...LOL If anyone likes true stort thies and mountain climbing (love reading about it have no desire to do it) read INTO THIN AIR. I know they made a movie about it but the book is amazing...

Yes, I do read sometime that I have old, used and new cookbooks, gardens, quilting, cross stitches, crochets, and some fictions...

This message was edited Nov 5, 2011 7:35 AM

This message was edited Nov 6, 2011 8:41 AM
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 5, 2011
8:18 AM

Post #8877541

Pepper: thank you for the website for the peanuts. They have raw "Spanish" peanuts but not "red skin" peanuts. I sure don't know the difference. They're about $4.00 for 5 pounds. I really don't know the prices. I usually buy a large bag and that lasts the entire winter. I get the bag and run them through my food processor. Then, I have the peanuts ready for the season. I haven't completely searched all the resources around here, but they don't have them at Lowe's or WM. I wonder if the local co-op would have them. BTW, have you noticed all the Indian Moths flying around the sunflower seeds for the birds in WM and Lowe's? I keep my seeds outside in a big metal trash can with a metal lid.

We have a restaurant called Logan's and it offers peanuts one can shell while waiting for your order. They have Indian Moths flying around in their restaurant. I have talked to the manager about them. He said they have someone come in routinely. The bugs have been there for at least six months. We have quit eating there. I think it's kind of unsanitary.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 6, 2011
4:25 AM

Post #8878536

I use to have parrots and we always kept their seed frozen, because there are always some kind of insect larvey in the seeds and if the seed gets warm the larvey will hatch and walla you have a bug. I am guessing the only way to prevent this is to spray the crops so much it wouldn't be good for the birds. In the bird magazine on parrots, they go so far as to tell you to check where fruit is produced because there are countries that use pesticides that we no longer use here in this country and are very bad for breeding parrots. So I am not sure which is worse, too much pesticides or bugs...ewwwwwh! ;)

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 6, 2011
6:07 AM

Post #8878658

Summer picnics have lots of bugs & people still eat outdoors.
What is an Indian moth by the way ?

What about sweet corn. People can't stand the worm in the ear,
but don't want chemicals spray on the corn or GMO seed used.
I guess don't eat sweet corn.

Happy regular time!
Bernie
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 6, 2011
11:25 AM

Post #8878989

I must admit, I do like those ghost shows though. Not so much for the ghosts because they are always "inconclusive", well, most of the time anyway. I've seen a couple shows that were well documented with recordings or images of sounds or specters. What I really like is the history and footage of the old "haunted" houses or whatever it is. My Grandparents that have been married for 68 years, have always lived in the same house, it is 105 years old now.
I never thought about that much because it was just my grandparents' house, but it goes way back. They are funny, I went over there yesterday to play my Grandpa chess. When I was leaving I gave my Grandma a kiss on the cheek and my Grandpa says, "what are you doing kissing my wife?!". My Grandma says, "hey, he's my Grandson!"! I smiled and said, "listen to Grandpa getting all jealous!"! He gets all competitorlike from playing Chess and I think he forgets I'm his Grandson! I was lucky to win the tiebreaker of 7 games! He has a mild case of Alzheimers, but he realizes pretty quickly that we're related. He still drives on occasion, now the condition of their car is another story!

Yes, what is an Indian moth? I know what an Indian motorcycle is and an Indian Summer!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 6, 2011
5:22 PM

Post #8879405

Indianmeal Moth: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indianmeal_Moth
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 6, 2011
6:28 PM

Post #8879477

Thanks Pepper, I see, a Pantry Moth. I hope I don't ever have to share my food with no steenking moth!

I did some 75 percent off shopping at Lowes. I have gotten prolly 10 or 12 plants recently from there. My latest acquisitions are 2 'Golden Globe' Arborvitaes for 88 cents apiece, I planted them today.
They are small but not tiny. Boy, I hope all the planted plants look better in the Spring! I got two Porcelain Vines, they were cheap too. I know their invasive but I don't plan on planting them in the ground.
They are just so attractive with the blue speckled berries and all! Their kinda like the song of the sirens, only their song was, "buy me buy me!"!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 6, 2011
7:18 PM

Post #8879587

I can't believe you got them for 88 cents!!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 6, 2011
8:19 PM

Post #8879663

I know, me either! I figured it on a calculator, they took the 75% off the 50% off price of $3.49! Hehe.. I'm not complaining, but if I ever have to return them, thats all I'll get back, boohoo!
They do what they want I guess when stuff is cheap. They are interested in clearing out for Christmas trees. I asked the cashier lady if hanging baskets were 75% off too, the manager guy overheard and he says "no" then right after that he says, "yeah why not!"! So I got a big, lush Wandering Jew (the purple striped one, Judio errante) for $3 even, from $9 something, I've always wanted that Wandering Jew, it's so pretty. It's so full, you can't see the hanging planter it's in! The flash on my camera makes dark photos sometimes, I took a total of 3 photos and this one turned out best believe it or not! The flash on it leaves some to be desired!
Will

This message was edited Nov 6, 2011 11:29 PM

This message was edited Nov 8, 2011 7:38 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 8, 2011
6:13 AM

Post #8881311

Boy Will you are going like a bandit...if you break off some wandering jew stalks will you throw them in dirt or water for me? I use to have a huge one I started from two broken stalks and it got mealy bugs and by the time I realized it, it was way toooo far gone...That is such a great plant.

Anyone need an adorable puppy? I have two that wandered up to my house and are so darn cute. They are black lab mixed. I have already taught them to "sit". I will pay for their shots and deliver, I mean you can't beat that bargin, they are both males... I just do not need 6 dogs otherwise I would be tempted to keep them. They seem to love everyone, altho at first they wouldn't come to us (could be because of the other dogs) so DH was leaving food in the field for them, I was so glad we had them last night and they weren't out in the field. Think they were happy also, especially when they heard the coyotes...rofl.

The wind was horrible last night and sheets and sheets of rain...good grief. Looks like another black day.

I came up for a new motto for OKlahoma, Need some excitement move to Oklahoma where everything is rocking and rolling...! Heck they may fall into the ocean before California...last I heard from Crit she was ok. So was glad of that.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 8, 2011
4:31 PM

Post #8882088

Haha! A bandit! Yes I am! Sure happ, I'll do that, I made five starts today, I hope they take! I could also make some for a Spring RU if we have one. If anybody else wants one just let me know, I'll have plenty. If this Wandering Jew is anything like my other just purple one, it will grow alot every year, I'm not worried about cutting on it.
Thanks, but no puppies for me, happ! Yeah, OK. is really getting a variety of natural disasters. I saw their tornado on the news, it was a big one, good thing it didn't damage much!
Plenty of rain lately here too, a good soaking for my collection of plants now!
Thanks for posting happ, I was starting to think I'd have to talk to myself here!
Will

This message was edited Nov 9, 2011 11:14 AM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 8, 2011
4:59 PM

Post #8882130

No pups here. We're having trouble with the one from next door coming over and stealing stuff.

I'm just loving the rain!! We need it so bad.

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 8, 2011
6:20 PM

Post #8882226

Hehe.. Pepper, I can just see your neighbor dog carrying off that planter with your cat in it! Yeah, that rain is a soaker, I'd like to carry on the Lowes tradition of watering until their blue in the face! I hope the leaves don't get very soaked because I'd like to start raking them up soon.
The city here is funny, they only give you a few days to rake before they stop picking up yard waste, after Nov. you have to store them and hope the bags of leaves or whatever stays intact until April the following year, I've had to do that before. I think they do that on purpose! They probably want to say, "oh, we pick up yard waste here!"! The one very most popular time that they are needed for leaves, they conveniently stop doing it for the year! I like calling them in December and telling them, "oh, I see, now that the leaves are down, your not picking up yard waste!" I see residents here raking them into the street and who can blame them?! They don't accept yard waste in the trash.

This message was edited Nov 9, 2011 11:14 AM
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 8, 2011
6:41 PM

Post #8882253

The pup next door is almost full grown and my neighbor doesn't like to feed or water her dogs more than once a day. After that they are on their own. So they come over here and eat the cat food and knock over the water bowls. We have one that is a combo with a water bottle and behind it a bowl for food. The pup took off with it the other day. Luckily we heard him so my dad raced outside to meet him and got the stuff back. I have had them knock over my planters before but luckily not break any of them. They ever break my planters my neighbor will never hear the end of it. lol.

Our biggest problem is possums. They are mean and aggresive and love cat food. lol. We have a momma who comes by with her 6 babies and eats everything and she likes to use the big cat house for her and her family. Not fun dealing with them.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 9, 2011
2:11 PM

Post #8883328

Will I am usually out here lurking...rofl.

I had snow this morning! Glad that is over for the winter... ;) Had all the snow I wanted for the year 2011-2012...

Yeah I doubt anyone takes them, and I will have 6 dogs...again! At this rate I will never get to retire. They are cuties, and they finally figured out what the dog house is for. Just when I get big old Sam the lab grown up here come these two. None of the other dogs do rain, they want in the garage and will willing go to their kennels. Wet and cold is not their thing...rofl. These two are always crashing and jumping all other each other...they are so funny. It is dark when I get home from work so it will be this weekend before I can get pics of them. I tried this morning but that didn't work out so well.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

November 9, 2011
4:44 PM

Post #8883633

Went to new grand re-opening Walmart today and it's so neat one not like old just more different and I look 'wow' that is long store... I just love this fresh new store!

get free tote bags, some else free samples and free ice cream... Parking lot so full! I has fun with my step-son's families...

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 9, 2011
5:43 PM

Post #8883740

Glad you finally got a new Walmart Rusty!!! Glad you had fun with your family too.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 10, 2011
5:38 AM

Post #8884374

Birder,
Robins will stay year round if there is a nice timber nearby with berries to eat.
I really need to get my suet cake going as the nuthatch and chick a dee are here already. Junco too!
I think the crocus is an exellent idea! I never ever thought of that! I'll bet crocus start appearing in cemeteries after this :o)

Oh Rusty,
That is a terrible loss! Especially the kids books. I'll bet they were good, old, stories. What a shame!

Carole,
I have taken to buying annual seed I know will grow easily. People start petunias and I've never tried them since I heard they were tempermental. I'd love to start them tho, and will give it a try eventually.

Will,
Those dollys sure do a load of work, heh heh :o)
We used to use it for bringing the large 7 gallon water jugs into the house. Sure saves the back and the arms!
Cracking up over the kids ankles. I'll bet it startled him :o)
Well, pooh on the jack butt neighbor. If you chose not to give out, it's your business. Lights out means the candy is out!
''In my opinion'' is another loophole, LOL!

Happ,
I think I would get sick and tired of closing things after the ghosts, LOL! Leave the cupboard door open and you or DH are sure to smack their head on it. And we both have. It makes you embarrassed first and mad after. I believe the dogs tho. You can't make a dog, much less two, act like that for no reason.

Birder,
Raw Spanish peanuts are used in peanut brittle.
Ewww, I wouldn't eat with moths flying either. They'll lay eggs in the packaged products.

Happ,
You need to realize where all store bought fruit is from too, for the same pesticide or contaminated water danger.

Bernie,
To see the bugs wriggling in the flour, meal or cracker box puts you off your appetite. Corn worms, I break them off with the part they are eating :o)

Will,
I didn't realize your Grandpa was a bit alzheimers. Or else I forgot because he plays chess so well.
88 cents?!! Awesome!! I would have paid the $3.49!
I used to have the WJ and I loved the color. That one is gorgeous and healthy and full! You were a smart shopper, LOL!

Happ,
Those poor puppies! I would be sooo tempted to take or keep them! Dogs like that don't walk into your life every day. Surely they ran from someone's home. Keep your ears open. They may be thrilled to find them alive.

Pepper,
Grrr to the neighbor's dog who runs freely and steals.
Possums. Oh yeah. They show a cat who is boss. Trick is to feed after daylight and pick up before dark. It was the only way we kept the skunks, possums and raccoons out of the cat boxes.

Happ,
Grinning! We had snow yesterday too and nothing stuck. I held each baby up to the window to see their first snow.
I'm so glad you will keep them. They came into your life for a reason. I can't wait for pictures! ''Jumping Jack Flash'' sounds like a good name for one of them, LOL!

Rusty,
I'm glad you had a good time at the Walmart opening! I'll bet the store looks fabulous!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 10, 2011
8:13 AM

Post #8884534

Oh like the name jumpin jack flash, that's alot to get out tho when I am mad cause he have eaten, tingled on, dug up, chewed, and/or jumped on something...rofl.

Good deal Rusty on the new Walmart, bet it was packed and probably will be for quite awhile. They got that opened just in time for Christmas didn't they.
Hummmm, suppose it was planned that way... ;)

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 10, 2011
2:09 PM

Post #8885077

Ack, possums! There is a big one hanging around here at night, it got into a trash bag 2 days ago that was on the porch overnight and it spread trash everywhere. The other aide here did that to make me look bad but it backfired on her..lol She set it out on the porch like as if, "well, if he ain't gonna take it out soon enuff, I'll set it on the porch for everyone to see!" She was showing me! So, anyway I saw it out there and I thought, "oh, this is great".
Well, I forgot about it and it got tore into that night. I didn't set it out there, so it backfired on her! Her and me get along fine, but she'll do things like that every now and then kinda in a joking manner. She did that again this morning but I put the 2 bags in the can as soon as I could. It looks like I've concluded it was a possum without really seeing it do it, but we've seen it on the porch several times before. This is a residential neighborhood too! There is deer tracks in the mulch too! I can tell deer because they make this distinguishable hole in the mulch with their feet! I'm just glad that they don't seem to be stepping on my plants, they are probably EATING them!!

I love Walmart too. It seems odd, they are such a big corporation and all, but it's kinda fun to browse the aisles on Sat. nite when you don't have anything to do. I remember in North AR. as a kid, Walmart was the thing back in the seventies, my uncle there is a retired Walmart asst. mgr. Hehe! Walmart came up in Joplin in time for Christmas! Walmart does have some Christmas spirit, and all those Walmart employees in Joplin, I'm sure they are happy to be back to work. One thing is for sure, they have the money to rebuild!

Thanks for the compliment on my Wandering Jew, billyp. I hope it does okay this Winter with minimal light. I'm gonna start calling it by it's botanical name Judio Errante, "Wandering Jew" seems discriminatory!
Yeah, I agree, my Grandpa is a very happy go lucky type, he knows he's forgetful. Sometimes when we play Chess I'll say "I'll let you take that move back", he'll just forget pieces are in jeopardy sometimes or move a piece into jeopardy. And then after I've let him take the move back I'll lose! But, I'm never nasty, I'll just say "good move" or "good game" and shake his hand. Sometimes I'll spot him a piece and then I'll lose but that's okay, it is fun for us both.

I once took a half eaten bowl of cereal to the grocery store to show them all the worms that I had just eaten! They thought it was funny! I remember this one girl there says, "yum, protein", I just smirked, I wasn't amused, I was disgusted!

Can you believe my TropiCanna is still looking good outside in a pot, even the foliage! I am waiting for the foliage to die off before I cut the stalks and bring the pot in the garage for the Winter, but it keeps looking good!
That's my other Wandering Jew next to it, it's a hardy houseplant, so it's not coming in either until about the same time, I read they can tolerate like 15 or 20 degrees F, it's used as a ground cover in some more southerly locales. I got this photo of them today, they are under the eaves, maybe that helps keep the frost and the cold off them more.

There must be something to the black mulch heating plants up because the four Banana trees in the black mulch are still green and stuff like it's Summer, the 2 not in the black mulch are drooped over, (the foliage).
Maybe those 4 are more likely NOT to succumb over the Winter! I hope that's the case because that's my "tropical spot"!
Will

This message was edited Nov 10, 2011 5:40 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 10, 2011
5:01 PM

Post #8885234

Will, your Judio Errante is very pretty. Judio Errante was one of the first house plants I ever had. I have a couple of pink cannas in pots I purchased from Lowe's on their half price rack. I, too, am waiting for the foliage to turn black. I will dump the soil out and put the tubers up for the winter. I save a lot of the "mesh" bags that one gets with various fruits, veggies, bulbs, corms, etc . I put the tubers, etc. in these bags to stores over the winter. It works well for me.

So, If the Spanish peanuts are for peanut butter, what are the "red skinned" peanuts for?? I don't really care for peanut brittle, but I sure do like spiced nuts!

Rusty, glad to hear WM is back in business in Joplin. I bet people really missed the store. I buy some groceries and bird seed from them. Rusty, ice cream! Yum! I love ice cream.

We're suppose to receive our first hard freeze tonight. Yuk! I hate the cold, cloudy, winter days. I am lining up some projects to do over the winter.

Robins don't usually stay here all winter. We saw about 25 feeding on the neighbor's lawn. We do see them in late February. We have bluebirds here year around. I feed the meal worms. I love watching them, and they are so beautiful. I consider them a real treat to have in our gardens. I was watching the female bluebird from my kitchen window while sipping my coffee this Am! We also had Cardinals, Flickers, Downy woodpeckers, chickadees, Blue Jays, Titmice, Nuthatch and Carolina Wrens. The little Carolina Wren got into our garage this AM and I had to open the g. doors to let her back out. They're such silly birds--always getting into something. They remind me of cats--always checking something out. Every summer they make their nest in the most unusual places--and always very close to human activity.

Possums! Can't they just be shot?

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 10, 2011
5:36 PM

Post #8885284

Birder, you can shoot possums all you want and they will just keep coming. We have a never ending supply of them. Sometimes they are aggressive and other times they aren't. But man alive they are stubborn!!

Billy, we feed the cats once, sometimes twice, in the morning, once when we get home and again when we go to bed since they are hungry again. Every animal in the neighborhood knows when we feed them and they come running as soon as they think it's safe. They hear the food hitting the bowl. lol
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 11, 2011
1:46 PM

Post #8886208

Thanks birder! My TropiCanna still looks like that photo up there, I was out there a while ago.

Shoot a possum?! We can't shoot in the city limits, I don't think I could shoot it anyway. I'd end up shooting my foot like Barney Fife!

I made a "2 dead leaf Bananas" and a "still 4 alive leaf Bananas in black mulch" photo! The Banana tree under the watering frame thing can't be seen too well because of the Persimmon's trunk but it has black leaves like the one to it's right. I have no explanation for the four in mulch to still be green other than being in the black mulch or maybe being on the West side of the house, altho I can't see how the West side would matter, unless a cold East wind has been blowing or something. Also, there is considerable more sun on those four this time of year. I'm not complaining, that is cool how they are still green!

I'm still working on all that clutter! Some of the clutter is actually planted plants with the labels still on them, I'm a firm believer on leaving labels on plants for a long while so they can be easily identified without trouble, and I'd have trouble!

So you store the dried Canna tuber, birder? I think I will too, that will save so much room, garage room is in short supply! One tv station says 68 tomorrow, we'll see, I may paint that living room window frame white outside.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 11, 2011
2:53 PM

Post #8886308

Will, I take most or all of the dirt off of the canna tubers.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 12, 2011
9:00 PM

Post #8887951

Well, I never got the oomph to paint the living room window frame, I petered out! I put my pants on inside out, put on my old, painted on painters shirt, old shoes and even had the paint and brush out, then afternoon came around and I felt like taking a nap! I slept from 1:30 to 3:30, so I figured I'd do it another day! I put together another little picture frame instead, that's much easier!

I've got a mesh thing for a few bulbs, I think it was a hairnet at one time. I don't think it's being used anymore, it had old cat dung stuck to it, I don't think that was it's intended use!

Dang, now so long till Spring, I've got plans for plants! Well, it'll be March 20th before you know it! I kinda also look at Dec. 21st like it's a sign that Spring isn't far away, the days get longer again!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 13, 2011
5:16 PM

Post #8888927

I just bought me some more bulbs at Wally World today. lol. Carnaval de Rio tulips, pinkish alliums and Margarita tulips for almost half price. Just gotta plant them this week!!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 13, 2011
7:06 PM

Post #8889052

Here is my $2.44 Harry Lauder's Walking Stick-wannabe Big Twister Bush! About 10 feet behind it is a blurry Ozark Witch Hazel plant, it's blurry so you may not be able to see it.

Bulbs are half price at Wally World eh? I may have to check that out!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 14, 2011
4:34 AM

Post #8889432

Happ,
Laughing over the long name too! I always hear the Stone's song when I say it or remember the movie ''Whoopie Goldberg'' was in by the same name.

Will,
I'm glad you and the Aide make a friendly competition out of things. My trash never goes outside unless it's in a bag in the tub, with a lid! I haven't cleaned up trash but once, and then it was a stray cat. That's what made me suggest we put food out because someone was hungry. Later we started taking many hungry pregnant cats or their grown kittens to the Humane Society! A cat will tear into the bag to eat and I think animals rip the bag and spread it, so you are right.

I agree, I never liked the plant name too much myself either. Maybe the history of the name would make it sound less discriminating.

Fun, and you are making wonderful memories with your Grandpa. It will also strengthen your character and help you if you decide to pursue caring for someone else someday. Caregivers are in great demand.

It's amazing how many people say the fronds, leaves, etc. are still green on their plants this year.

I sure hope your tropical spot is a success. It will be fun to see it develop!

Birder,
Laughing. I used to save the orange netting and never knew what to do with it. Now I do! Paper sacks are what I'm using, but the netting would be ideal since they are in the dark anyway! Live and learn :o)

As near as I can tell, they are different peanuts, but I can't Google an exact answer. The Spanish are mainly for cooking with.

I think we have all your birds except for the titmice. I really can't wait to see the feeder activity when the snow is on the ground.

Pepper,
Laughing over the food hitting the bowl! You can't hardly win this battle can you!

Will,
Clutter or not, things are looking good!

Cracking up over the good intentions and the nap!!

For me, it's getting thru February before I see the promise of spring.
Pepper,

Laughing over the last minute bulbs! Jealous too of the spring color you will have next year, or at least the year after :o)

Will,
Neat ''Twister!'' Very neat price!!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 14, 2011
4:56 PM

Post #8890406

Thanks billyp, the aide and me get along fine. Today, I was kidding her again and she was telling me about bills and I say, "what do you spend all your money on, weed?!" She got a laugh out of that! She tried to act all insulted but she couldn't help busting out laughing when she was trying to give me a comeback!

Patience has always been one of my strong points, it takes patience to be a caregiver sort, I have plenty of experience I suppose.

Thanks billyp, that "tropical spot" is coming along, I have more driftwood to add to it yet. There's plenty of driftwood here, oddly enuff, my friend's Sister is a big driftwood nut. I think she's been to the beach in VA. just to get driftwood! I must admit that driftwood up there in the second photo 6 posts up is quite interesting the way it's all spiraled and twining around itself.

Thanks, I hope that Twister Bush gets real big and twisty! I need to power-wash that privacy fence or scrub it or something to get that green moss off of it, that's like what happens before the fence rots away.
Will
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 14, 2011
4:56 PM

Post #8890407

Pepper: We have trapped 'possums, called the police, they come and haul them off--to somewhere? and that's that. We don't get that many. I wonder what the predators of possums are? We get a lot more coons than possums. We also get squirrels. I wouldn't mind any of them if they would leave my bird seed/food alone. I am not to excited to make the peanut butter mixture for them.

Billyporter: It seems Spring starts here in February. By that, I mean, I mainly see buds swelling on trees, and possibly brave little Iris riticulata, and some crocus, but it has to be a warm, sunny February and late February. It's always exciting to see those first shoots break through the ground! The flowering bulbs are so showy and welcome.

We haven't seen the juncos yet. It's too early for them.

Oh Will, I too watch for the day when the days start getting longer. To me, it's even worse when DST ends. I am trying to get up at 6:30 or so in the morning. With DST, it was 7:30. So, I am going to bed earlier, (9:30 vs 10:30) and getting up earlier. I am one of those that the lack of sunshine affects my health (SAD). It sounds weird, but I can really tell a difference with the short, cloudy, overcast days.

This year, I have promised myself this year, I am going to find more beauty and more positives during the winter season. Maybe we can make a list of the good things winter offers! It does give us a reprieve from the "work" in our gardens.

My son wants to have smoked pork loin for Thanksgiving Dinner!! He said stuffing and roasting a turkey with mashed potatoes, gravy and all the sides just isn't worth all the work. He doesn't think traditional T. dinner tastes all that great. I am not sure what to think of that. I am so glad he's coming home for T., I don't really care what I prepare! Turkey and all the fixings is such a tradition, however.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 14, 2011
5:30 PM

Post #8890457

We can't call the cops to take care of the possums. We live in the country and the cops would just laugh at us. We have some issues with them anyways so unless it's super important. We just scare them off or shoot them. Pretty much the only options we have out here.

Squirrels are a pest when the feeders are up but we have mostly squirrel proofed them so we just get our entertainment watching them watch the feeders. lol. We have one feeder that we don't chase them out of and they share it with the birds. Coons aren't really a problem here either. We see them occasionally but that's about it. We see and smell the skunks more often but they don't come up to the house.

Billy, the tulips will bloom this spring if I get them planted this week. lol. There will be a ton of color and fragrance down there when they bloom. I have hyanciths and daffodils down there too. They will be moved next year if needed to a better spot.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 15, 2011
5:55 AM

Post #8891004

Will,
Weed. I'll bet she did crack up :o)

I think driftwood is the coolest thing! Laughing at myself. My elderly relative had a piece that was in a floral arrangement so it's not even real. But, I took it anyway and it sits in the garden by my newly planted little iris. It's pretty small, but I still like it :o)

We have algae on everything! You never used to see it anywhere, but now people have new vinyl siding and it's green half way up. DH bought a small brush that attaches to the hose I think. He just wets the walll and scrubs it all off. For a year.

Birder,
This was very interesting.

http://opossum.craton.net/faqs.htm

On occasion I have had crocus bloom at the end of February, but late March, eearly April are the norm.

I was always thankful didn't have SAD. It's real. Do you use sunlamps?

Winter.
It gives me an excuse to look at flower books, make garden seed lists, look over the seeds I have in all the tubs, do research on the computer, and finally sit down with a cup of hot tea and a good book. I already have a container of Dove chocolates by my bed :o) And while reading, if I nap, so be it!

I do walk the treadmill and lift weights during winter too.

Tradition smadition. They also ate fish and berries :o) I am not a fan of turkey either which is why I am also heating up a ham. Loin sounds delicious! The smells coming from the kitchen, the pies and desserts, the snacking, company. those things are what is important.

Pepper,
Shoot one animal and DNR will find their way to your door, LOL!

We have one agent for our county, ''Timber Tom.'' He seems to be everywhere, LOL!

Well, I can't wait for pictures! Spring flowers sound wonderful and that's why I just can't find a season to die in. I look forward to everything, LOL!

I stayed in yesterday and made...white bread. Well, it was still delicious :o) I used a recipe from the first cookbook I ever had because it called for the same amount of evaporated milk I had left over.

DH hung a few Christmas lights.

Later I got out and walked around barefoot, stepping on bare dirt to get the last of the health benefits for the year. The mums are still soft and supple. The short reblooming yellow iris froze in it's tracks, but I have more fall color than I usually do :o)

I think we're in Indian Summer. I haven't really seen the small spiders that let out a long strand and float on it to new places. By evening the ground is just covered in strands. You have to look towards the sun to see the silks, but they are pretty glinting way up high.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 16, 2011
3:24 PM

Post #8893250

I finally got around to cleaning that last window on the outside. From inside, it really stood out, how filthy it was compared to the other two, it drove me nuts! I did learn something tho, probably 95% of the grime is on the outside! I even got a photo of the dastardly job yesterday! I'm trying to get up the bravado to repaint that window frame white, it's such an involved job and everything, I think I'm intimidated! I mean, working gingerly with paint, being careful with the paint, cleaning brushes and laying down stuff to protect everything and wearing old clothes, it's like a big operation! I'm not a painter, shouldn't I be excused from painting the house trim and stuff?! It really turned cold, but not for long, it's supposed to warm back up the next 2 days then turn cold and prolly stay cold. I have a TropiCanna and a houseplant Wandering Jew outside still, I expect they are still fine, I saw them yesterday. I'll prolly bring them in Sat. or Sun. after the warm snap.

Ok happ, show yourself!

Will

This message was edited Nov 16, 2011 8:18 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2011
12:40 PM

Post #8894384

Will,
I am not a painter either. First, I'm too sloppy and second, everything you listed just turns me away. I'd say washing them is as far as you need to go. Someday she'll need to hire someone to paint the trim as all of it will meed to be done at the same time. I'd stay out of painting anything you don't feel like doing. You do plenty of other things.

They are 100% ready to go into winter! I love clean windows!!

I spent the day at DD's yesterday and we sorted thru the toyboxes. Have to make room for Santa's stuff, altho, they don't get a lot from us, mainly because they have enough. They need ascessories for what they already have.

I've been making bread, honing my skills for Thanksgiving. I'll make rolls the day before. Pie too. I like to have those done because there isn't any oven room with a turkey and ham in there.

Oooh, I made myself hungry!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2011
5:49 PM

Post #8894800

Will, get a roll of butcher's paper and some painters tape, cover windows, cover about 6 inches of brick and you can mess up without worrying about paint getting all over stuff. You might get a little but paint remover on a q-tip can help with that. But don't do it if you don't want to. lol
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2011
7:12 PM

Post #8894947

Here are the Judio Errante (Wandering Jew) starts, on the bottom shelf, they are still looking good and I did those cuttings 9 days ago. I took several photos and they are all blurry, the camera apparently focused on the foreground, not the plants. I think I'm gonna make more, it's a beautiful plant.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2011
7:13 PM

Post #8894949

Here is the latest effort towards my backyard master landscaping plan, black plastic landscape edging as far as the eye can see! I just need about 2 tons of mulch to go in there and I'm set!
See the TropiCanna back there? The leaves on it still haven't succumbed to the cold!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2011

Post #8894950

Isn't this 'Goldflame' Spirea just beautiful in Fall color?! I can't wait till it gets big, right now it's a small Lowes special! How do you like that clump or plug of dead grass next to it..haha! That's how I plant sometimes, just "dig up a clump of grass and drop your plant in the hole" style!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2011

Post #8894951

Yes, yes, I do do alot! Oh stop it billyp, your making me have illusions of grandeur! Haha, like that episode of Seinfeld where Jerry says, "yes, I am very great, aren't I?!" But, I keep pretty busy, I must admit not all of the time. I can get alot done in 2 or 3 hours a day if I put my mind to it, then some days I'll have a project going and I'll just work til I'm ready to quit, then most days I'll get pathetically little done!
Thanks billyp, I hope I stay busy enuff most days.

Yes, she should hire painting work like that out. But, I too kinda shudder at the thought of what a contractor painter him or her would want. I'm kinda all about saving money and diy-ing if possible. All I've ate this week is 2 bowls of rice each day, today I'm only gonna have 1 bowl because I don't feel hungry..lol The 10 lb. bag of rice that I got Sunday for $3.48 is only 1/3rd gone now!
Today, a hospice nurse was here, when she was leaving she says, "something sure smells good", I said, "it's probably my rice" and I showed her my big bowl of rice..lol I was sitting right there on the couch eating it! She was probably grimacing inside! Haha, that's alright! I said,"I'm just kidding, it's probably that steak that she is cooking in there", which I'm sure it was..lol!
I have challenged the other aide here to a weight loss contest. Today I told her, "you go ahead and eat all those chips, how you gonna feel when I weigh less than you?" She's a good sport about weight talk. I don't normally dare bring weight up to people unless we are really comfortable with each other, I've known this aide for over 2 years. Believe me, I'm not trying to get slapped!
But, I digress, it is real nice when you have the extra money to hire stuff professionally done, or when one doesn't really have the know-how or equipment for the job. So, in my case stuff just doesn't get done..lol

Today, I planted a Mugo Pine that I got 3 days ago at Lowes for $1.75. Here it is in the photo. The yard here is just full of cheapo plants, maybe they'll look like something someday!

Wanna hear something funny, an Aunt who I don't speak to anymore, accidently dialed me from her purse this morning. I was in bed and she was talking to a coworker about something, she works at the IRS and I could tell it was the workplace. I was saying, "hello, hello, hi Magnusina" and no answer, I like that Aunt and I've told her so a couple years ago, but her husband (my Uncle, a blood relative) is a jackbutt, he burned me on several occasions, I just don't have or want occasion to interface with him anymore now.

Thanks Pepper, butcher's paper eh?! I was wondering where to get some sort of paper like that, that would be nice to have for painting jobs. Oh, I don't want to do it, but, that doesn't mean I won't muddle thru it eventually..lol

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2011

Post #8894952

Can you find all the plant specials in this photo, there's got to be near 40 somewhere there! They are hard to see, but by gosh they are there! Even my $3 Dwarf Alberta Spruce Living Christmas Tree from 2004 over on the right is putting on an evergreen show for all to see! It's the smaller of the 2 Dw. Al. Spruces, the other one was bought in 2004 too (but, she paid $20 for it then, I planted it), it was already a decent size then. That one is a testament tho that Dw. Al. Spruces DO grow back a pointed leader after being topped because of spider mites or whatever, in our case it was mites, they completely killed the top back in the day. Back then I was like, "it'll be ugly forever now", I'm happy to report that's not the case. Anyhow, just look for the labels in the photo, I leave them..lol
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2011
7:14 PM

Post #8894954

Oops, I forgot the photo of the Wandering Jew starts. -

Okay, disregard this post, I am losing my mind!

This message was edited Nov 17, 2011 10:15 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2011

Post #8894960

I won't comment on you losing your mind. :~p
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2011
7:19 PM

Post #8894961

And how about this 'Black Knight' Butterfly Bush from Pepper having a few leaves now? I was holding onto hope on it and sure enuff here it comes now!

edited for typo!

This message was edited Nov 17, 2011 10:24 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2011
7:22 PM

Post #8894964

I see! It is lost, it is harmlessly lost! Haha!
Will

edited for typos

This message was edited Nov 17, 2011 10:32 PM

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 18, 2011
3:40 AM

Post #8895221

Pepper,
CRACKING UP!!

Will,
The WJ will root readily in water, unless they did and these are potted up :o) They look nice!

Does your camera have a landscape/flower setting? I use landscape on pictures thru windshields and such, because it looks past those things.

Grinning, that is going to look really goos planted and mulched!

I'd sure paint the shed a light color tho. Talk to your friend. Maybe just the trim could be red.

Gorgeous spirea! Dead grass alright :o)

Will, we're all like that and yep, you are pretty great :o)

I love rice and made rice pudding the other day :o)

I doubt you have much weight to lose, make sure your weight isn't muscle. And eat some veggies!!

I have no doubt your plants will all look nice. Love all of them in the picture. Yep, next year things will really show up! Those bargains are totally worth it!

Funny about your Aunt :o)

Yep, that BB will make it now!

Walmart sells the Freezer Wrap/Butcher Paper. I keep it on hand. It's a looong box.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 18, 2011
6:29 PM

Post #8896257

Thanks, that Spirea is a stunner! Haha..that grass is dead alright, I rub most of the dirt out from under grass plugs like that to fill in the hole usually, that grass didn't have much if any dirt to grow in!
No, I don't have much weight to lose, maybe ten lbs. I definitely do want to keep what little muscle I have! I drink a Vanilla shake every day that's supposed to be loaded with Protein, we'll see!

I agree, billyp, about the light color for the shed. But we bought a custom gallon of paint though, I'm afraid there is no going back, it's the same color as the brick on the house, not real dark and not light, kinda in the middle.
I might be painting that shed this weekend because I want to get the Hostas, other shade plants and the Hyssop situated in there before it's gets real cold, I'd like to have as much as possible in the ground soon.

You like rice too huh Sally? I wish it tasted a little better myself, but I guess you can't have everything! Today, the other aide here was giving me some grief about all the pop I drink, she drinks water now she says! I said, "that's fine, you go ahead and wash down all your candy and your sandwiches with water!"! She just laughs. She says pop has 140 calories per can, which it does, but it doesn't have any fat in it I say. I'm hooked on pop though! I make sure to brush my teeth at least twice a day and I floss every few days. I don't drink just pop though, I drink 1 to 2 cups of oj a day, sometimes milk (not a fan), I really LOVE the shakes, it's worth getting out of bed for! And about 3 or 4 cups of water, not enuff I know. I have lost around 3 pounds this week! Yum, rice pudding, I've never had it, but I hear good things!

Walmart sells that butcher paper eh, I'll try to remember that when I go there to browse soon.

I'll try those settings on my camera sometime, it has those settings, I'm pretty sure I saw them before. I'll try that, thanks Sally.

Yeah, I wish I could visit with that Aunt without having to talk to my Uncle. The Uncle really isn't all bad, but I think he's got a yellow belly for one. I think he was supposed to be an heir to my grandmother's estate and I think he let this other Aunt (his Sister) and her Son (my cousin) have it all because they wanted it. I think he couldn't stand up and get his share for not only him but his wife too, the Aunt and Uncle spent money and gave gifts all the time to those grandparents years ago. I'm pretty sure, he was afraid my cousin would slap him about the face and ears if he didn't step aside, those are my opinions anyway. Since my Father had died, (their brother), I was kinda oL on anything myself.
Oh well, I've got world peace to figure out!

Thanks Sally, I hope those bargain plants look great in coming years or I've got some explaining to do!

This message was edited Nov 18, 2011 9:32 PM
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 18, 2011
7:37 PM

Post #8896341

Will, try coconut water. It's the hottest health trend out there now. lol.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 18, 2011
8:36 PM

Post #8896396

I'll look for that! I only can afford the vanilla shakes because I didn't buy it! It was bought for the elderly disabled lady but she doesn't like it and nobody else wants to blend it and wash the blender out, I am more than willing to do that stuff, because it is worth the deliciousness!

Here is my method of having houseplants in a house also full of cats! Aluminum foil and landscaping staples! I haven't had a problem with cats getting in them and laying down anymore, and using them as litterboxes!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2011
5:47 PM

Post #8897708

Well, the leaves on the TropiCanna have finally given in to the cold! It's almost time to bring it and that Wandering Jew in!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 21, 2011
7:23 AM

Post #8899741

I have been lurking, just not much going on for me right now...rofl. My laptop died so I have to use DH's, it has been kind of nice not to be on the computer on the weekend after I got thru with withdrawal... ;)

I would like to have a rice receipe where you put the raisin stuff on the top, not cooked in it. There use to be a resturant at the little Independence airport in a old white house and she served some kind of rice like pudding stuff with a raisin sauce over the top.

Will, on the shed, once it is painted, you can always add things (signs, ornamental things) to the shed to break up the "red". I am going to make shutters for my garden room out of pallet racks I have found for free, or make window boxes even if you don't have a window you can find an old window and hang it like a picture and put the flower box and/or shutters around it, and then with the plants around it, you might really like the brighter red.

I have all kinds of tropicals in bloom right now. Lots of brugmansia's and they smell wonderful at night. They only perfume in the evening. Only problem is I hate watering all winter long. I am horrible about it. It is like when people would have to fill ice trays in the old days...rofl, wasn't hard just no one would do it... ;)
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2011
5:12 PM

Post #8900566

Hi happ, welcome back, it's nice to see you again, you lurker you! Eeek! Your lappie died?! Ohhh, hope you get it fixed, what a bummer! That old shed! I keep procrastinating on painting it! I bought an electric spray gun a few weeks ago and I admit I am afraid to learn how to use it for the first time! I bought a gallon of thinner because it has to be cleaned immediately after using it so it'll keep on working. The whole operation has me a bit intimidated! I'll do it eventually, I am shooting for later this week, they are saying 65 both Thursday and Friday so I'll see how that works out for painting! I got two big branches to go around part of it tho for landscaping so I can move forward with filling that area around the shed full of soil and plant hostas and stuff that I got, but I need to paint it first before I do the landscaping around it, oh, woe is me! There is so much to do and I hate to put things like that off again till next year. The shed is slated to be the same color as the house's brick-work, kinda an orangey/red. I'd be all for a lighter color too, but my friend picked out the orangey/red, if it don't get painted that color it'll be my backside! The shed is supposed to be close to this photo of the house's bricks. How do you like that old ladder's repaired white legs..lol!

I like your photos of your Brugs, happ, they are like porcelain in bloom. You oughta get a good photo of one and put it in a picture frame in your living room, seriously, they are gorgeous. Don't use regular printer paper tho, get photographic paper, it's more expensive but it is great for printing photos, be sure to use the glossy side. I've printed out several good photos of stuff and framed them in an 8 and a half by 11 frame.

Where'd everybody go? Did I run everybody off!?

That Independence airport was cool! I used to live straight North of it in East Independence about 3 miles and planes were always flying way up, it was neat seeing planes all the time, sometimes bi-planes and historic planes would fly over. I remember, it was a big thing in the news, in 1993 it was purchased by a real estate developer and closed in 1993. It is now a housing addition, there is no more airport, Independence doesn't have an airport now. I remember, I thought Independence was duped. My great uncle used to have a hangar there for his glider.
He'd go up all the time and stay afloat for hours, just gliding. He'd sometimes fly over our house and circle and tip his wings, but he couldn't stray far from the airport, it always looked like so much fun. It was only a single seater, I never got to go with him, but it sure looked like fun, I don't think I have that kind of bravado myself! I think I know what restaurant your talking about happ, it was known for it's pies, I think it was called "Lonely Oaks Restaurant" or "Lonesome Oaks Restaurant", something like that. There was 2 big Oak trees there, they are still there, but the restaurant is gone, I ate there one time long ago.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2011
5:28 PM

Post #8900595

I'm here!! Went out of state over the weekend so haven't been on for a few days.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2011
5:42 PM

Post #8900617

Welcome back, Pepper!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2011
5:51 PM

Post #8900625

Thanks!! Am dead tired and feel like I'm catching a cold but not sure. Plus will be working everyday except Friday this week so won't get any rest. Gotta love it!! LOL
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2011
6:19 PM

Post #8900664

Oh, hope it's not the flu! I have a fear of the flu or something, I think it's just knowing some 36,000 people worldwide die from it every year! And a flu shot, I'm not even going there! But, I'll probably get one.
I'll probably get a shot, get the flu, and lay there thinking, "oh gosh, I'm gonna lay here and die of the freaking flu!"!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2011
6:51 PM

Post #8900735

Not flu, just a cold. When I get the flu I get it out of the blue and it knocks me down pretty quick. I'm just sneezing, my nose is acting up a bit and throat drying out faster than normal.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 22, 2011
12:57 AM

Post #8901049

Well, I'm up late because I could swear a flashlite was just shone on my bedroom window or else a transformer maybe blew and it had an effect of lightning on my window or it could have actually been lightning because I see it is raining outside now. But, I am an overly cautious and paranoid sort when it comes to suspicious activity around here. We automatically get a regular police report and they say car break-ins are common in this neighborhood. My friend just got a new car last week, a Hyundai Veloster. It's a slick looking car, but thieves probably don't know that car can't be stolen, it requires a "proximity chip" to start. I'm leaning toward a transformer blew or it was lightning tonite. I am paranoid maybe, but not nuts! I've already been outside to look around, nothing there that I saw. But, I'm gonna watch the aide leave soon anyway to make sure she gets going okay. I watch her leave alot, she probably thinks I'm a creep but I don't care. We've already went after her twice when she tried to take off walking at 3:30am, thanks to my watching, she lives 20 miles away!
Oh, I just can't seem to not worry about the flu! - http://edition.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/28/regular.flu/ My numbers were way low, they say it's a half million worldwide that die from the flu each year. I had a cousin die from Swine Flu in 09'. Last year, I walked into Walgreens with a dust mask on, I said "don't be alarmed, I might have the swine flu", the customers right there in line were looking at me like I was going to rob the joint, before I said something! The cashier just smiled! I went in there to see the urgent care thing they have, the minute clinic or something it's called. I was sicker than a dog, that's what folks do that don't have insurance, spend all your money seeing a doctor.

I stay up pretty late usually, if someone maybe shines a flashlite on my freaking window at 2:30am I get all nervous! Oh, what to do, what to do!!
Will

This message was edited Nov 22, 2011 4:02 AM
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 22, 2011
4:41 PM

Post #8901928

Will: I know what you mean about not wanting to start a new project. I put things off when I am not sure how to do things and how they are going to turn out. I usually try to think things through real well, and then, just get started! Good Luck on the painting. I am sure it will turn out nice.

Regarding not being on the computer: people are probably busy working on Thanksgiving Dinner, or traveling etc.

Flashing lights in bedroom windows would be scarey.

I am having 15 people at my house for Thanksgiving. Everyone is bringing a dish so that helps a lot. I am making the gravy ahead of time.

I smoked a pork loin today. I am going to serve it as well as turkey.

So, Pepper, what is the deal with the coconut water? I haven't heard about this.

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 22, 2011
5:43 PM

Post #8901996

I hope your right, birder, about it turning out nice, it could turn out a monstrosity too. But, I'll keep the cup half full and say I hope it turns out okay! I'd like to eventually replace those rotted boards to that old shed.
It's a cool shed, it's shaped like a little red barn! It's pretty roomy for a little shed. I wish they had constructed a floor for it initially, it just has the driveway for a floor and it gets rainwater and mud washing in it regularly, which stinks!

Yeah, it's pretty scary, having a flashlite shone in your bedroom window. I'm not sure that's what it was, but I think that's how thieves find out if someone is awake and alert nearby. In order to at least get to the inside of the car they'd have to break a window likely and that makes noise. I told my friend that I think her new car might be being targetted, I have convinced her to at least put The Club on it. One night last week, I was looking out the window like I do and I saw a vehicle parked across the street from where the aide was parked, and he/she was shining a flashlite. I didn't think much of it at the time, I thought it was just somebody she knew making sure she got in her car alright. But, last nite I asked her if she knew those people and she said she didn't. I don't know what's going on, it could be neighbors skulking around, there is some funny sorts around here.
I stay up late many nites and my bedroom is right by the cars and the driveway, they risk getting caught and they don't know it, I could also get rewarded with bodily injury for my trouble!
If you don't hear from me again, I got hornswoggled (walloped..lol) by a thief!
Oh well, what a tangled web we weave!
Will
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 22, 2011
6:16 PM

Post #8902016

Coconut water is the juice from a young coconut. Tons of good stuff in it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut_water

Worked late today. Had a big holiday rush and was extremely busy all day. Was truck day too. When I left after 7pm we still had alot to put up!! Only gonna get worse over the next 2 days!!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 23, 2011
3:21 PM

Post #8903172

Ack, the holiday rushes are back again! I remember going to Kohls one Black Friday a few years ago to get a belt, the end of the cashier line was about 50 feet from the cash register!

I didn't get bamboozled by car thieves yet!

I'd love to have a coconut tree! I hear even most of Florida isn't even warm enuff for a coconut tree. I think some parts of Fla. can have them tho.

I did get my cheap little black and white Harbor Freight camera and cheap 4 yr. old Walmart tv set up today, so I can kinda see the porch and some of the driveway and front yard goings on. Now I can see if somebody at the door has a sock full of pennies to hit me upside the head with! See me taking the photo?!

That Grubworm the cat on the right is always watching Bucky the cat. She charges Bucky when he isn't looking, but he is usually looking and will give her a hiss, he doesn't pick a fight with her, he's very gentlemanly.

Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 23, 2011
4:57 PM

Post #8903343

I will be out on Black Friday but only to Nebraska Furniture mart. We bought a kitchen island for my grandma and are gonna go pick it up. That's the only black friday shopping we are doing!! lol.

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 23, 2011
7:42 PM

Post #8903491

Nebraska Furniture Mart has some deals at Christmas-time. Last year, (about the second week of Dec.) I got the flat-panel tv in this photo and on the left for $199, it's a 26" non-big-brand-name tv. This year the tv deals are even better. I saw a 42" tv somewhere for $349 I think. Tv's that woulda been around $3,000 6 years ago are going for 3 or 4 hundred now. I want the little 15" one for $89 if NFM ever has them on sale again! I'm considering getting my car painted on Black Friday though this year. Maaco has a Black Friday deal going oddly enuff. I'd like to get my car painted before it gets any rust, which can't be far off.
How do you like my framed photo of a beat-up pier in Texas City, TX. (I think) in 1999? I thought that looked neat with the Pelicans sitting on all the broken pillars sticking up. A cousin, a friend and me did that on a big roadtrip to Mexico from here.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 24, 2011
4:45 PM

Post #8904206

Will, I saw WM had a 42" flat screen for $299 or something like that.

We are hoping to get a couch while up there but it will depend on what they have left in stock. All furniture is half off tomorrow. We aren't going til later in the day so hopefully we miss the worst of the crowds.

Pic is neat. Like the skull too!!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 24, 2011
5:50 PM

Post #8904268

Thanks Pepper. I see the deals are better on tv's than I thought even, being far enuff up in the waiting line to get one would be the problem I think for most people. For example, I saw Bestbuy has a 42" Sharp tv for $199 on Black Friday - http://finance.yahoo.com/news/black-friday-2011--deals-from-walmart--target--best-buy-and-more.html , they open at midnite tonight. They showed a waiting line on the news at the Bestbuy in Liberty, MO. for that tv, they got in front of the line by camping out there for a day or something. I don't have a place for a tv that big anyway. It's hard to imagine but half of America's population is going Black Friday shopping and this weekend, they say at that Yahoo news link. Walmart's deals on tv's appears to be a 32" for $188, a 51" plasma tv for $498 and a 42" Vizio 3d one tomorrow for $598. The Vizio 3d one sounds real nice.
The different times on them is kinda odd, seems like that would throw people off, maybe there's a reason for it.

I tell you, I do like me a good cow skull!

I got a photo of my 'Luna Red' Hibiscus labels. Did you know a regular staple goes thru those generic white plastic plant markers? I kinda have a feeling that those Hibs outside are already dead! There might be my labels there that I'm so proud of, but no Hibs! Missouri Conservation sent me a magazine of the seedlings for sale, there is some good deals in there too - http://extra.mdc.mo.gov/cgi-bin/mdcdevpub/apps/seedlings/search.cgi?record=all I'd be the Missouri resident to mail to if anybody wants some for their yard. I've ordered from them 3 years. Last, in 2010 I got a bundle of Blackberry bushes and a bundle of 25 also of Ozark Witch Hazel, they have all always proven well worth it. The BB bushes had berries on them this Summer and the Ozark Witch Hazels are really putting on size pretty fast now. I've got several Ozark Witch Hazels from there that are well over 2 feet tall now.
Will

edited for tippo!

This message was edited Nov 24, 2011 8:54 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 25, 2011
4:06 PM

Post #8905542

I did some Black Friday shopping and I didn't get any Black Friday deals but I got some real cheap houseplants. I got a photo of my 4 little plants and by little I mean quite small! Only one, the Fern, was 75 cents, the others were 50 cents apiece. Bucky decided to groom himself in the photo, sorry..lol I got that board there with the cherry finish to make a wall shelf. We need to find a place for some excess books that we got sitting around, as seen in a photo above.. lol The crowd is awful at Wally World. Boy, I think big, retail corporations are after every dollar, they musta had every employee there for Black Friday!
I did stand in line at Walmart to ask about 2 Goodyear tires, but ironically, they didn't have a deal in my tire size, which is odd, my tires aren't anything rare. If somebody got lucky tho, while the tire deals were still in stock,
they coulda got a heckuva deal, like $50 off per tire on even a 17" tire. I saw the list of deal tires, I couldn't believe 14" tires weren't even on it. I looked for the aide's car here too, they were out of 17" tires for her, and without a good price, they were $137 per tire. The deal 17" tires were 70 dollars something each, a big savings from regular, and decent tires, 50,000 mile Goodyears. I went to Lowes and was sorely disappointed in the garden center, there is NO plants, not even hardy ones, it's all Christmas trees. Well, except living Christmas Trees, Rosemary trees and Norfolk Island Pines, all dolled up with bows and stuff.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

November 25, 2011
4:25 PM

Post #8905572

Same as here all the christmas trees yesterday...

Windy all day...

I final sold some books from ebay and send shipping today...

One guy brought books from me that he's from India! shipping so costing! I had to send it because they need books for hospitals...
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 25, 2011
5:36 PM

Post #8905710

We went to Nebraska Furniture Mart this afternoon. Man that place was packed!! There were no parking spots so we ended up parking in the employee lot. Went inside to check out couches and recliners and didn't like any of them. Their selection for such a big store was tiny too. So we will look elsewhere for those. Got our kitchen island picked up for my grandma though!!

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 27, 2011
10:10 PM

Post #8908513

Hi all, I've been sick with the flu, it hasn't been terrible. I'm at about 70% wellness now. That's kinda the way I look at it. Yesterday, I felt bad, that was about 50% or less. At that degree of sickness you more or less just lay there. For example, I laid on the couch and had wallowed about half of the couch covers onto the floor and at 50% you don't feel like putting the cover back, like you normally would. So, the couch cover stayed on the floor overnite. Today, I felt better but only about 70%, good enuff tho to put the couch cover back. I think what I had was the one day flu, although actually that's deceiving, because, is it ever really only one day with the flu?
On late Friday, (the first day of my sickness) my voice was all deep and different and I was getting a scratchiness in my throat. And then, Sat., yesterday I felt bad, I was pretty much incapacitated, that was the one day part. I wasn't really diagnosed or anything by a doctor, but I've been sick before. This wasn't the 104 flu, where your paralyzed with sickness! This was maybe a 102 fever at most. I didn't even have enuff power to check my temperature. I haven't been in the disabled lady's room since Thurs. or Fri., I don't want to transmit my sickness to her if I can help it. I walk around the house spraying Lysol above my head as I walk and using hand sanitizer on my hands and everything I touch. I still don't know how I got it, I don't know of anyone who was sick. For example, in 2002, when I thought I felt bad enuff to die, my Dad was coughing all over me a couple days earlier as I was working on his computer. I remember calling him up when I was sick, I was like, "thanks for giving me the flu, I feel terrible"! I expect tomorrow I'll feel pretty normal, well, as normal as normal can be! I have alot to do before Wed. when my friend here's Sister is coming for 8 days for a visit from Virginia.

Selling your books on Ebay Rusty? I have 2 books on Craigslist right now. I like Craigslist because there isn't all those fees like Ebay. But, any way it's done, it's nice to have a way to get rid of stuff and still get some money back. We sometimes will run into stuff that has value and may have cost something significant back in the day, but now it's just in the way, so rather than throw it away, it can possibly be sold to somebody that is looking for just that thing.

I should be pretty okay tomorrow, probably just coughing all day. I guess I've been sick enuff to know the stages of sickness! First, the throat scratchiness, then the deep voice Barry White part, then the feverish, chills, weak sickness part where the virus is going to work, then the crushing headache with sweats where the sickness is exiting, then coughing where it hurts your throat, then back to reality! Did I mention the part where you rely on others in your house to have sympathy and understand that you can't do anything, or the constant runny nose and coughing, or needing others to bring you food and drink?! For example, I mentioned the couch cover being on the floor and how I didn't feel like picking it up and she says, "that's alright, it'll still be there when you get better!", that's pretty funny I guess, even when your sick! I need to be pretty back to normal the next 3 days, I have a ton of stuff to do in preparation for the Sister's visit from VA. The needing-to-be-cleaned-gutters or the needed new tires don't wait on sick folks!

I bet Nebraska Furniture Mart was a madhouse, they have some irresistable deals this time of year, you oughta keep checking back there up until Christmas, they'll likely get more stuff in.
Will

This message was edited Nov 28, 2011 7:31 AM
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 28, 2011
4:31 AM

Post #8908620

Haha, I went to bed around 12:30 am, but I haven't been able to sleep because of sweating bad. Oh, the life of the idle poor and sick! I don't mean to get on here and give you the play by play on my flu, everybody gets sick! I am passing time trying to get my bed to dry out a little from the sweat and maybe I can go back and get to sleep in a while. Well, now not so sure if it's any kind of, "1 day flu". I still feel pretty bad, but it's not really incapacitating for several days like I've had before. I suppose, if I had a job to go to I could still only miss one day of work and just make everybody else sick. That reminds me of this one job that I had a few years ago where there were hundreds of workers, all just sitting around entering data. It was quiet, except this one lady who was coughing all the time, (which went on for about 2 days) you could tell she was sick, but probably not having the sick time, she worked sick. She wasn't that close to me, I couldn't see her, but the people around her musta been cringing.

I always seem to get sick at the worst possible times. Back in 2002 when I got the awful flu, we had just got a bad icestorm like 2 days before that on Jan 31st, 2002, I was down with the flu from about Feb. 1st to Feb. 5th,
it was just me to clean up debris, all the other relatives claimed bad backs. This afternoon I'm supposed to go get tires bought and installed for the aide here and I haven't even been to bed yet, her shift is over in the afternoon. Please, I don't want alot of sympathy, everybody gets sick at some time or another, and some more often than others. My demise will probably be from getting sick or something like that! I can't imagine being elderly and having the flu like I've had a few bad times, that must be terrifying. Well, I should be all back to normal in a day or two, I could've gotten so much done in all these days tho!
Oh well, back to bed!
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 28, 2011
8:08 PM

Post #8909736

Will, sorry to hear you are sick. I hope it will pass soon. You know, you just have to take care of yourself: lots of rest and fluids, Tylenol and Chicken Noodle Soup, and Sprite. Yes, sympathy helps too. You want to know someone out there cares! So, just give into the flu, wait, and take care of yourself. The other stuff can wait or not get done. It won't be the end of the world if stuff doesn't get done. Every one will survive just fine. Take care~!

Thanksgiving Dinner went without a hitch. All the food was delicious, and we did have leftovers which I enjoy a lot. I have most of my house/refrigerator back to normal. I told my husband I did not want to cook for the next week! He said fine, but I think we'll both get hungry, and I know who will be doing the cooking!!

We're having rain, sleet, snow and wind. YUK!! It's not accumulating because the ground is too warm. It's going to be in the mid forties all next week. Three days ago we were in the sixties!

The birds are visiting our feeders more frequently.

I still have my Amaryllis bulbs to re-pot.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 28, 2011
9:32 PM

Post #8909900

Thanks birder, you are very kind, good advice, I love to receive encouragement. Oh, I too believe there is people out there! The lady aide here asked me if she can have my car if I die! I told her no, that'll need to be sold to pay for my disposal. She said it wouldn't pay for that, but I know it will! I agree that stuff will likely just not get done. I try to tell my friend here, "you know, I'm sick, you might consider doing something to help, this is crunch time if you want all that done before Wed.", she relies on me heavily, I am glad to help, I thrive on helping but I'm little help when I'm sick. I showed my sweat-shirt this morning where it was soaked thru with sweat from sweating in my bed. It's almost like when your sick, your family members are like bosses, you need to show some outward signs of sickness..lol Haha! I'm just trying to be funny at my own expense, they believe me when I say I'm sick! Like you said birder, stuff will just have to wait or not get done, besides, I think my friend here is coming down with what I have or hopefully HAD! She says she thought about calling her Sister and suggesting "this might not be a good time to visit, there is a lot of sickness here". Their Mom, (the disabled, elderly lady as we all know) could get sick too and that could really be nasty unfortunately. Boy, I would feel rotten if she got the flu as well, from my diabolical airborne Influenza. I literally have nowhere to go while I'm sick. I am on my second can of Lysol and my hands are sticky from all the sanitizer thats been on them. Oh, I know about Campbells Chicken Noodle Soup, I've had 2 cans of it, today and yesterday, my friend made it, it was just right. I've had fluids and Aleve too. Now, the rest is harder to come by! Altho, pretty soon I plan on going to sleep for at least 8 hours.
Amaryllis is a nice non-regular season flowering plant. I've heard about the snows and bad weather in South Missouri, I couldn't believe it, worse down there than here, altho, it is cold enuff here but it's been pretty quiet so far. I've also heard a very popular (and very accurate) meteorologist here say he thinks this will be an unusually bad Winter for weather here. - http://www.nbcactionnews.com/dpp/weather/winter/gary-lezak-2011-2012-kansas-city-winter-forecast-nov2011swp
Will

This message was edited Nov 29, 2011 7:32 PM

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

November 29, 2011
4:43 AM

Post #8910006

Well, got me for dry sore throat here... And It hit me 3 times again for every each week... So, got new medicine is Vicks Nature Fusion Cough (real honey)...
It work for me to smooth the throat...
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 29, 2011
4:31 PM

Post #8910664

Eeeww Rusty, a sore throat is painful, I've been lucky there so far, not alot of soreness in the throat but alot of coughing but it hasn't been too bad on my throat. What I had IS getting around the house, my friend is in the early stages of what I have, mine's almost gone I think. I'd say I'm about 85% back to normal. I got alot done today towards my friend's Sister's visit starting tomorrow, I'm running the vacuum cleaner in a bit and doing some other finishing touches on stuff. When I get throat lozenges I tend to eat them like candy, so I don't get them! loI I think they can actually be over-dosed on so shame on them for making them taste so good!
The last time I got cough drops I got Honey flavor and it didn't taste like Honey!
I'm going to get my shop at Harbor Freight Tools on pretty soon, they have a few knick-knacks that I can't pass up, and they are cheap knick- knacks too, I got a pocket full of coupons! After there I might go up and down the aisles at Walmart, but I doubt it. I know how it feels to be weak from sickness so I'll prolly hurry back to help my friend when she wants help, she helped me when I was down. She came home from work after she'd only been there for 3 hours or so, her boss is the one who suggested she go home. She worked from home pretty good. But, the change in the voice is a real good indicator of really being sick. I remember when I first was getting sick late Fri. nite, you'd think I was Barry White talking to the ladies! lol My friend's voice didn't get all deep like that, but it was much different sounding. I have an Adam's Apple you know, altho I am a pipsqueak my voice gets deep! On medicine, I still go with what my Grandfather used to say, "If you take medicine for a cold you'll get better in about 7 days, if you don't take any medicine you'll get better in about a week". Haha, I guess what he was saying is he knows too, there is no cure for the common cold! I was telling my friend that, (again apparently..lol) Cutting me off, she says, "yeah, I know what your Grandpa said, I know there's no cure for a cold but the symptoms can be relieved". I guess I'm just one for not relieving symptoms either, it'll be gone when it's gone I guess!

I still have 13 dollars and some change left on a Walmart gift card that I got from my part-time employer, for being a home healthcare aide. I can always whip that out if they ask me why I've been there so long and my cart is empty! I had a dream the other day, I was in the dollar store so long they had towed my car away! In that dream I got out to the parking lot and couldn't find my car! I went back inside and they were like "ot oh, we had that car towed". I remember I couldn't believe it, I told them good! I said "that it is a classic car and it's probably nicer than your car, if it has any damage on it your paying to fix it, I know that car inside and out"!
She says, "we thought it was abandoned because it's been here all day". I said, "yeah, it's been here all day because I was the first one in the store this morning"! It was an all black 1968 Dodge Charger, totally restored, although I don't really have one or never had, it's okay to dream isn't it?! I told her, "I can't believe you had my freaking car towed off". They were in tears, not so much because I was scolding them but because they felt so bad about it. I remember those cars well, as a kid, those kind of cars were everywhere, I was born in 1967. I remember going with my Dad cruising on a popular cruising road (Noland Rd., aka the "Miracle Mile") in his 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner with a 440 in it, that was so much fun. I wish that car was still around, but it's long gone. My maternal Grandma even had a 1970 Dodge Coronet with a 440 in it. But, it was a 4 door, it was just a grocery getter for her, cool cars were everywhere back in the day. We had so many cool cars that were just family cars, a Javelin, a 1964 Impala, the Roadrunner, I'm sure there's more that I don't remember. Even my paternal Grandma had a 1970 AMC Rambler. An uncle even had a Gremlin back in the day. Nothing really special about a Gremlin I guess but I always wanted to put a great big engine in one.
The memories of the roads then with all the gas-guzzlers and muscle cars is real nice!
Will
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 29, 2011
5:29 PM

Post #8910716

I heard we have a chance of the white stuff on Saturday night and Sunday. Not much accumulation but enough that we notice it. But they said also it's too soon to know for sure. I want it sooooo bad!!!! I wanna drive in it!! lol. Just not the ice. That's not fun. lol
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 29, 2011
7:12 PM

Post #8910851

Wow, the white stuff already! I like driving in it too. In the Dodge Durango, not so much my little car. I didn't have it last Winter, but it can't be too good in the snow. It's still got the dealer tires on it, so I think that means their pretty smooth. But, the plan is to get tires for it soon. Not too much joyriding in the Durango though, the gas mileage is still terrible. Yeah, ice and cars ain't a very good combination. In a1996 freak October snowstorm, a tree branch fell from snow on tree leaves and dented my old classic 1972 truck, in a bad 2002 icestorm, a branch (of many hundreds) fell from the weight of ice and messed up the sideview mirror of my small car. Here's what ice did to my Grandma's yard in 2002. -

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 29, 2011
7:17 PM

Post #8910857

I remember that storm like it was yesterday. That was a really bad storm. We couldn't get out of our driveway for several hours due to the whole yard and driveway being covered in branches.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 30, 2011

Post #8912015

That was one nasty storm. I'm glad that doesn't happen every year! Ahh... memories, although our family didn't really come together to clean up debris, I was the only one (besides my Grandma towards the end of the cleanup) that wanted to do the cleanup! It was a one acre rural property, it wasn't a residential yard like here. I'll dig up a photo of the place that I took then from the top of the street. That neighbor there in the photo with all the Emerald Arborvitaes had his residential power line severed by a tree branch, he was without power for a week. We were only without power for 2 days. In the photo, the place I cleaned up was where that brick house is and 2 other houses there, that's my 72' Ford truck in the photo, that's the little car that had one of its sideview mirrors messed up by a fallen branch. Hard to believe it will be 10 years since that storm in a couple of months!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 30, 2011

Post #8912016

This photo shows the final pile of sticks, it was huge. It made quite a grand fire! For scale that is my paternal Grandmother. She was only 5 feet tall but the pile was as tall or taller than her! She was the only other person in my family that didn't have a bad back.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 30, 2011
7:19 PM

Post #8912019

This one is from my house on the left side (West) of that earlier photo, thats the Maple tree in the earlier photo, very messy! The other photo here is the smaller sticks that my Grandmother and me raked up and burned in a big pile.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 30, 2011
8:16 PM

Post #8912075

That other photo doesn't show too good what it did to his Emerald Arborvitaes, they were bent to the ground, and this was when they were small. They were really a spectacle in the ice a few years later!
These 2 photos are 3 years apart. In the first 2002 photo, they were bent but the whole thing was bent the same way, in 2005 (the second photo) they were bent but right down the middle! These are the same plants, just different angles in the yard, see the Pampas Grass, it's all the same, it was wretched in the ice too. He didn't prune down the Pampas Grass or tie up the Arborvitaes for the ice.
That popular forecaster predicts that there will be more ice than usual here this Winter because of the way things are setting up North and South of here. Man, I still can't believe Don Harman of Fox 4 news here in KCMO committed suicide, I use to watch that channel because of him, he was entertaining.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 1, 2011
5:27 PM

Post #8913046

10 years!!! It still seems like yesterday!!! We had a brush pile that was at least 8-10 feet tall and just as wide. It's still out there in the pasture next to our house too. Alot smaller now due to age but still there.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 1, 2011
5:29 PM

Post #8913049

THREAD CLOSED!!! NEW THREAD!! http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1232174/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Central Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
You have to guess what this is - it's in my garden. LOL crystalnurse 181 Sep 22, 2010 10:54 AM
dahlias-How to store allysgram 18 Apr 18, 2007 4:39 PM
Stargazer Lily Bulbs Question cedarnest 19 Jul 3, 2007 8:42 PM
Let's go gardening! Terry 12 Jun 21, 2014 10:28 PM
Speaking of winter MaryinLa 5 Mar 3, 2007 2:28 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America