Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

November 1, 2011
8:47 AM

Post #8871779

Just, just in time!!!

November 2011
1st-2nd. Good Days For Planting Peas, Squash, Corn, Tomatoes And Other Aboveground Crops, In Southern Florida, Texas, And California.

3rd-4th Kill Plant Pests On These Barren Days.

5th-7th Favorable Days For Planting Aboveground Crops. Extra Good For Vine Crops, Where Climate Allows.

8th-9th Neither Plant Nor Sow On These Barren Days.

10th-11th Plant Root Crops, Where Climate Permits. Good Days For Transplanting.

12th-13th Any Seed Planted Now Will Tend To Rot.

14th-15th Best Planting Days For Fall Potatoes, Turnips, Onions, Carrots, Beets And Other Root Crops, Where Climate Is Suitable. Also Plant Seedbeds And Flower Gardens. Good Days For Transplanting.

16th-19th Poor Period For Planting. Kill Plant Pests, Clear Fencerows/land.

20th-22nd Favorable Days For Planting Root Crops. Fine For Sowing Grains, Hay, And Forage Crops. Plant Flowers.

23rd-24th Plant Carrots, Beets, Onions, Turnips, Irish Potatoes And Other Root Crops, In The South. Lettuce, Cabbage, Collards, And Other Leafy Vegetables Will Do Well. Start Seedbeds. Good Days For Transplanting.

25th-27th Poor Planting Days.

28th-29th Good Days For Planting Peas, Squash, Corn, Tomatoes And Other Aboveground Crops, In Southern Florida, Texas, And California.

30th Kill Plant Pests On This Barren Day.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

November 2, 2011
4:20 PM

Post #8873691

Thanks again, Cristina!

I appreciate the time that you take out of your busy schedule to do this for us.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

November 3, 2011
5:55 PM

Post #8875346

Hi Evelyn,
you know, we all have to make time to do all the thing we have too. Hope that the weather is not do bad for you and you could do some planting, I am starting planting out some of the seedlings that are growing its true leaves and transplanting some vegetables I did started in pots. Our Spring is going on well so perhaps by X'mas I may be able to have my own grown produce like potatoes, carrots, new onion, beets, lettuce and other, I hope so.

Cristina
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

November 3, 2011
6:32 PM

Post #8875398

It is starting to sprinkle. Hopefully, it will just be rain, but there is a chance of snow. I did not finish all my planting as some are in the nursery area behind the fenced in area. Otherwise the deer would have a feast, as I do not put repellant on any food plants. I haven't planted the root crops yet, and I still have more peas to sow. Hopefully all will be well.

I am glad that you are doing your gardening, as it is good therapy, would you not agree?

CHEERS!

Evelyn
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

November 13, 2011
7:58 PM

Post #8889129

Hi Cristina, I am curious to know if you ever plant potatoes in the fall in Chile. Most people plant their potatoes in the spring here, I think. But I have been given a box of potatoes to plant and don't know if I should just store them in the shed for the winter or go ahead and plant them before the cold weather and see if they come up in the spring. Any ideas about it? Thanks, Sonna
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

November 15, 2011
5:06 PM

Post #8891840

Sonna, over here the winter are cold but no as cold to have snow, and yes potatoes are planted in Autumn and Spring and around this time we are getting new potatoes from the ground, lovely.

I know potatoes do better in cool temperature, they do produce more tubers, if you plant them and cover well with soil and cover the potatoes with another layer of dead leaves, well-rotted sawdust, or other organic mulch material. You can use grass clippings or any other mulch available. Then add the necessary soil to fill the row and even hill up the row slightly. During the winter those mulch material will compost and you will, for sure get a beautiful potato crop.

Give it a go and let us know. As gardener we just have to try!
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

November 15, 2011
5:17 PM

Post #8891861

Great idea, Cristina!
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

November 19, 2011
6:29 PM

Post #8897762

Thank you for the response Cristina. (I have been busy lately cleaning the garage and painting the bathroom - that's why I don't answer right away sometimes.) The next few days are supposed to be favorable days for planting so I'll try to get those potatoes in the ground. I have some compost but I don't know if it is enough. Do you think it would be okay to use horse manure? Will that cause the potatoes to rot or have some other bad effect?

We had an amazing day here today (Sat. Nov 19th) because it was 80 degrees (Fahrenheit) and not very windy. A bunch of us ladies took the kids to the park to play and walk around the lake - great exercise! Anyway, hopefully it will be warm again tomorrow to get the potatoes planted...
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

November 21, 2011
10:42 AM

Post #8899980

Horse manure or any manure has to be a bit dry and aired, if it is fresh any manure is too strong, If I have to used I would put it not on top but just besides , see

potato , cover of dirt, on top of soil put the manure, so I would make sure that with the cold weather it will mature the manure out, then cover the manure with some mulch and wait for the best

just try it, nature is marvelous and forgiven and the best teacher ever
I did have to see where Iowa Park is located to figure out if it get very cold in winter and it does , I do not think your potatoes will rot with the manure but the soil will be enriched with it.

Good luck
cristina
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

November 21, 2011
1:28 PM

Post #8900220

Okay, I'll do that. Thank you again, Cristina!
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

November 23, 2011
7:46 PM

Post #8903496

I think I will try it as well. When spring comes, it is still cold and then the summer is hot.
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

November 24, 2011
4:51 PM

Post #8904208

I went ahead and planted the potatoes the last two days. If they grow, that's good. If they don't, that's okay too. I just added more compost, leaves and green sand to an area that will be ready for something else in the spring. Hopefully they are not GMO potaotes: I couldn't tell since they were not marked as to what kind of potato they are.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Gardening by the Moon Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Moon calendar? nivlac 13 Jul 11, 2007 5:46 PM
Welcome to the Gardening by the Moon forum dave 67 Dec 27, 2008 6:47 AM
Those who know how to read an almanac defoecat 81 Jul 10, 2007 1:03 AM
Moon Phases threegardeners 9 Jul 11, 2007 9:59 PM
Here's what I'd started last year .. Magpye 24 Jul 21, 2007 4:40 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America