Flowering in November 2011

West of Brisbane, Australia

The Philadelphus mexicanus effectively didn't flower last year; there were perhaps a handful of individual blooms at odd times of the year, and none during the designated flowering period. This year it's back to form with lovely arching sprays of flowers. Its orange-blossom perfume is lovely and wafts well thru the garden.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ
Merino, Australia

love my green lavender.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

Cestrum, I have a philadelphus somewhere in this corner of the cottage garden.
Looks like I will have to go in on search mission and move it out to where I can enjoy it.
This colorful chaos was not the original plan.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

A corner of the iris garden. I have roses, kniphofia and agapanthus around the fenceline.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Oh, I do like the smell of that green lavender, unlike any of the others although I can imagine that it mightn't appeal to everyone. The leaves have a very unusual lavender smell. Jean, if your philadelphus is scented your nose should lead you to it when it flowers, perhaps a bit later this year.
Love colourful chaos!

Nothing new is flowering so here's another of the same old :-)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

I meant to post a smaller photo, less grainy that way.
It is of course one of my native hibiscus, 'Barambah Creek'. The one with furry (non-prickly) leaves, Dianne :-)
By nothing new I meant nothing that I haven't posted photos of recently; the photo itself is new though (taken this morning).

PS Look at the difference in quality between those two photos although both are the same size.

This message was edited Nov 2, 2011 3:07 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Here in comparison is Brick Red. (Yes, it's really pink ... I didn't name it LOL)
Is looking lovely now that there are more blooms on the plant. Still just as prickly, though.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

This is the closed bud of Brick Red, just before it opens. I'm hoping you can still see the prickles in the reduced image.
The colour of the bud is always darker than the opened flower, which then fades as it ages during the course of the day. It lasts longer in shade.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ
Clifton Springs, Australia

My Iochroma is flowering for the first time....I have 2 different ones....could you ID it for me Jean?
Grandiflorum or Cyanaum.....it says purple on both tickets....

Very pretty pics, Jean..especially the first mixed one....
I don't know the green Lavender.....must look out for it and have a sniff.

That Philadelphus is a lovely plant,cestrum...the mexicanus perfume always reminds me of "Californian Poppy" hair oil that men used way back when....
I have P.virginalis and a smaller one P.manteau d' hermine...

Brick red is a pretty pink, so very soft looking....in spite of the prickles.....

Thumbnail by Seachanger

The bud is as pretty as the flower,cestrum......a nice lipstick pink.

As a comparison, here is Abbey's Tangerine this morning. (You have a cutting of this one, Chrissy.) The bud is still opening and it's growing in shade, so the flower is darker than when it's fully open and growing out in full sun. Having them all in flower at the same time has prompted me to don my bee costume and start cross-pollinating :-)

PS That Iochroma is flowering beautifully, Dianne--you must be thrilled!

This message was edited Nov 2, 2011 3:36 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ
Merino, Australia

Dianne, there are quite a few similar Iochromas . Look on BGI and you will see mine and also lots of crosses.
I wouldnt worry about a name as they are all pretty. . Watch out though, they tend to reach for the sky. but do respond extra well to pruning back.
This is my original purple which is I. grandiflora.
The bottom of the tube is wider than yours as you see.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Croydon, Australia(Zone 9a)

seachange it looks like Iochroma cyaneum
deep purple corolla and white margins & tips

Victoria, Australia

Yeah, they come in a few different colours...
I have that one and this colour cyaneum:
http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s1315912.htm

Sydney, Australia

Beautiful pictures- my Iochromas are very slow this year ...loving yours everyone.
I have my edible Pomegranate just starting up ...I love the fruit and the flowers !

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

Matching my favourite Boge-well almost

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

And the common old geranium that I love.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Thanks for the ID, DN and Lucas........
Now I have to wait for Grandiflorum to flower to tell the difference....I would imagine that you can tell by the size of the flower...grandiflorum.....
I love Pomegranites too, Chrissy....such an attractive fruit....

Here are my Nashi blossoms, I am hoping to get thru without the Pear and Cherry slug...this year I am fighting back...I don't want to spray them so it looks like they will be getting talcum powdered.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Well, it's a bit extreme even for me, but sprinkling talcum around your flowers is one way of adding fragrance to the garden LOL

Bougainvilleas are glorious, flowering all thru winter and needing no attention at all. (Except pruning, if space if tight.)

My Bauhinia corymbosa is in flower again. It's a shrubby climber but apparently has been planted as a groundcover on the nature strips in a Brisbane suburb. (I can't find the website where I read this.)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ
Victoria, Australia

Iochroma cyaneum.

Thumbnail by lucas13
Sunshine Coast, Australia

Blc. Beautiful Morning

Thumbnail by Marleneann
Victoria, Australia

Iochroma australe alba.

Thumbnail by lucas13
Victoria, Australia

Arum dioscoridis.

Thumbnail by lucas13
Merino, Australia

Dianne, look at Maurice , he is certainly beautiful.

Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

My first lilium for this year.
This is , I think, Nellys Pride.
I bought it as Orange Art.
Serves me right for trusting the eBay seller. I wonder what the other one ,I bought with this, will be.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Yes Jean, Maurice is very pretty.....
So is that Lilium......unusual too.

The Iochromas are a great plant Lucas.....aren't they...they are producing some pretty colours OS.

Beautiful orchid, Marlene.

Clematis and Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow......

Thumbnail by Seachanger
rosetta TASMANIA, Australia

Jean, was the seller DVD DJ-he really needs reporting for advertising shonky/mis-spelled and incorrect plants..The last bulbs i purchased had basal rot and collapsed in packaging,..,so i divided the scales and next year should have a lot of bulbs,..,keep an eye on my lily thread this year, as i will have 1st blooms of Californian asiatic crosses and you can earmark them if i get 'double up's'.-Anthony

Sydney, Australia

beaut pics everyone !

Name and shame, Anthony--shoddy sellers deserve it!
Meanwhile, I've just collected my first calendar made from my own photos. I've been taking digital photos for 9 years and have never printed one on proper photo-quality paper (just ink-jet, and even that rarely). So I took advantage of Big W's half price calendar offer to give it a go. The worry is that my camera is also 9yo and most of my photos are less than 1MB. But I'm really pleased by the results. I had one made for myself, with a second as a present (with different photos). Now I'm wishing I'd made two more as extra presents! The offer has expired but if you've been thinking of trying it for yourself, I highly recommend it. Just be aware that it takes two weeks, and that if you're using portrait-shaped images you'll need to create a landscape image by joining two of the portrait photos at home (i.e. you can't do it at the store).

PS The photos are not grainy; I just forgot to reduce the image before posting.

This message was edited Nov 5, 2011 10:44 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

That grainy photo irks me: here it is again.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ
Merino, Australia

Yes Anthony, I had already bought a couple when you warned me earlier this year. Never again.
Still a pretty flower though.

Lovely idea with the calendar cestrum. Your pics look great
Jean.

Sydney, Australia

Wow your own calender ! how cool .

Sorry to hear you gardeners have some bad experiences by buying on line, you should complain. If there is something wrong with what they sold you, a good supplier should replace the wrong or ruined item.
In all the years we have been in the spare parts field we have always done whatever was required to keep the customer happy if at all possible, in this era of cyber interaction it is really important to have a good name, cyber word of mouth is really good advertising, if the supplier does the wrong thing people will get to know pretty quickly.

My potted Malabar spinach is full of berries. I think perhaps it's been stressed in the pot. (The other one is planted out somewhere in the netted brug bed.)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ
Sydney, Australia

They like warm shade cestrum ...soak some of those berries to see the beautiful colour they give. Pretty little blooms and berries.

Great calender cestrum.....

Look what I bought at Bunnings this morning...
Abutilon double pink "Tutu".
I have never seen a double Abutilon....It is lovely.....

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Oh no, what have you done, Dianne! I have seen photos of doubles, haven't been able to get one, and will now have to go to Bunnings to see it for myself! And you've bought it in flower, so you really have got what's on the label. BTW, what does the label say--how large does it grow? (I'm sure I could squeeze another one under the old clothesline ...)

I hadn't even seen a pic of them, cestrum.....I was gobsmacked when I saw this one....it was the only one amongst the singles..
It grows to 2 mts and the rest of the label reads like an ordinary Abutilon...full sun or part shade suited to pots..
If there is pink, I wonder if there is orange/yellow or red.....

I'll be happy with just one :-) I left that old clothesline in the ground because it was near impossible to dig it out. But the sheer number of plants growing around it might end up achieving what I couldn't do. I'll see if I can get down there next week. Just for this one (last) plant, I swear LOL

If you can't get one, as soon as mine grows I will send you a cutting....

Did you see the Gardening Australia program last night....there was a vine on there called a Clock vine.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1800/#b
It was remarkable.....grow that over the clothes line.....though you probably already do....LOL

I checked a couple of sites that have a good range of Abutilons and Tutu is trademarked and the only double that they keep.

This message was edited Nov 6, 2011 11:35 AM

No, no, no, no cuttings LOL
If it's there, I'll buy it. If not. I'll consider it money--more importantly, space!!--saved LOL
I'll leave it in the hands of fate ;-)
Seriously, I am not accepting plant material!
Have taped GA but not yet watched although, checking out that url, it's not one I grow. Or wasn't growing, last time I looked ... who knows what's going on under there :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.