Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Flowering in November 2011

Communities > Forums > Australian and New Zealand Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Australian and New Zealand GardeningReplies: 163, Views: 799
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

November 1, 2011
3:45 PM

Post #8872320

The Philadelphus mexicanus effectively didn't flower last year; there were perhaps a handful of individual blooms at odd times of the year, and none during the designated flowering period. This year it's back to form with lovely arching sprays of flowers. Its orange-blossom perfume is lovely and wafts well thru the garden.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ
Click the image for an enlarged view.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 1, 2011
8:47 PM

Post #8872764

love my green lavender.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 1, 2011
8:49 PM

Post #8872767

Cestrum, I have a philadelphus somewhere in this corner of the cottage garden.
Looks like I will have to go in on search mission and move it out to where I can enjoy it.
This colorful chaos was not the original plan.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 1, 2011
8:51 PM

Post #8872769

A corner of the iris garden. I have roses, kniphofia and agapanthus around the fenceline.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

November 1, 2011
10:04 PM

Post #8872845

Oh, I do like the smell of that green lavender, unlike any of the others although I can imagine that it mightn't appeal to everyone. The leaves have a very unusual lavender smell. Jean, if your philadelphus is scented your nose should lead you to it when it flowers, perhaps a bit later this year.
Love colourful chaos!

Nothing new is flowering so here's another of the same old :-)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

November 1, 2011
10:06 PM

Post #8872847

I meant to post a smaller photo, less grainy that way.
It is of course one of my native hibiscus, 'Barambah Creek'. The one with furry (non-prickly) leaves, Dianne :-)
By nothing new I meant nothing that I haven't posted photos of recently; the photo itself is new though (taken this morning).

PS Look at the difference in quality between those two photos although both are the same size.

This message was edited Nov 2, 2011 3:07 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

November 1, 2011
10:27 PM

Post #8872856

Here in comparison is Brick Red. (Yes, it's really pink ... I didn't name it LOL)
Is looking lovely now that there are more blooms on the plant. Still just as prickly, though.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

November 1, 2011
10:30 PM

Post #8872860

This is the closed bud of Brick Red, just before it opens. I'm hoping you can still see the prickles in the reduced image.
The colour of the bud is always darker than the opened flower, which then fades as it ages during the course of the day. It lasts longer in shade.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

November 1, 2011
10:31 PM

Post #8872863

My Iochroma is flowering for the first time...I have 2 different ones...could you ID it for me Jean?
Grandiflorum or Cyanaum...it says purple on both tickets...

Very pretty pics, Jean..especially the first mixed one...
I don't know the green Lavender...must look out for it and have a sniff.

That Philadelphus is a lovely plant,cestrum...the mexicanus perfume always reminds me of "Californian Poppy" hair oil that men used way back when...
I have P.virginalis and a smaller one P.manteau d' hermine...

Brick red is a pretty pink, so very soft looking...in spite of the prickles...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

November 1, 2011
10:33 PM

Post #8872864

The bud is as pretty as the flower,cestrum...a nice lipstick pink.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

November 1, 2011
10:33 PM

Post #8872865

As a comparison, here is Abbey's Tangerine this morning. (You have a cutting of this one, Chrissy.) The bud is still opening and it's growing in shade, so the flower is darker than when it's fully open and growing out in full sun. Having them all in flower at the same time has prompted me to don my bee costume and start cross-pollinating :-)

PS That Iochroma is flowering beautifully, Dianne--you must be thrilled!

This message was edited Nov 2, 2011 3:36 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 2, 2011
1:56 PM

Post #8873521

Dianne, there are quite a few similar Iochromas . Look on BGI and you will see mine and also lots of crosses.
I wouldnt worry about a name as they are all pretty. . Watch out though, they tend to reach for the sky. but do respond extra well to pruning back.
This is my original purple which is I. grandiflora.
The bottom of the tube is wider than yours as you see.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

November 3, 2011
5:25 AM

Post #8874335

seachange it looks like Iochroma cyaneum
deep purple corolla and white margins & tips

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

November 3, 2011
9:43 PM

Post #8875703

Yeah, they come in a few different colours...
I have that one and this colour cyaneum:
http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s1315912.htm

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 3, 2011
10:05 PM

Post #8875714

Beautiful pictures- my Iochromas are very slow this year ...loving yours everyone.
I have my edible Pomegranate just starting up ...I love the fruit and the flowers !

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 3, 2011
10:06 PM

Post #8875715

Matching my favourite Boge-well almost

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 3, 2011
10:08 PM

Post #8875716

And the common old geranium that I love.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

November 3, 2011
11:27 PM

Post #8875742

Thanks for the ID, DN and Lucas...
Now I have to wait for Grandiflorum to flower to tell the difference...I would imagine that you can tell by the size of the flower...grandiflorum...
I love Pomegranites too, Chrissy...such an attractive fruit...

Here are my Nashi blossoms, I am hoping to get thru without the Pear and Cherry slug...this year I am fighting back...I don't want to spray them so it looks like they will be getting talcum powdered.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

November 4, 2011
12:31 AM

Post #8875758

Well, it's a bit extreme even for me, but sprinkling talcum around your flowers is one way of adding fragrance to the garden LOL

Bougainvilleas are glorious, flowering all thru winter and needing no attention at all. (Except pruning, if space if tight.)

My Bauhinia corymbosa is in flower again. It's a shrubby climber but apparently has been planted as a groundcover on the nature strips in a Brisbane suburb. (I can't find the website where I read this.)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

November 4, 2011
1:04 AM

Post #8875780

Iochroma cyaneum.

Thumbnail by lucas13

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

November 4, 2011
1:08 AM

Post #8875782

Blc. Beautiful Morning

Thumbnail by Marleneann

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

November 4, 2011
1:09 AM

Post #8875783

Iochroma australe alba.

Thumbnail by lucas13

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

November 4, 2011
1:12 AM

Post #8875786

Arum dioscoridis.

Thumbnail by lucas13

77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 4, 2011
1:57 PM

Post #8876570

Dianne, look at Maurice , he is certainly beautiful.

Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 4, 2011
2:00 PM

Post #8876576

My first lilium for this year.
This is , I think, Nellys Pride.
I bought it as Orange Art.
Serves me right for trusting the eBay seller. I wonder what the other one ,I bought with this, will be.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

November 4, 2011
2:25 PM

Post #8876606

Yes Jean, Maurice is very pretty...
So is that Lilium...unusual too.

The Iochromas are a great plant Lucas...aren't they...they are producing some pretty colours OS.

Beautiful orchid, Marlene.

Clematis and Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

November 4, 2011
4:07 PM

Post #8876736

Jean, was the seller DVD DJ-he really needs reporting for advertising shonky/mis-spelled and incorrect plants..The last bulbs i purchased had basal rot and collapsed in packaging,..,so i divided the scales and next year should have a lot of bulbs,..,keep an eye on my lily thread this year, as i will have 1st blooms of Californian asiatic crosses and you can earmark them if i get 'double up's'.-Anthony

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 4, 2011
4:10 PM

Post #8876740

beaut pics everyone !
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

November 4, 2011
5:43 PM

Post #8876883

Name and shame, Anthony--shoddy sellers deserve it!
Meanwhile, I've just collected my first calendar made from my own photos. I've been taking digital photos for 9 years and have never printed one on proper photo-quality paper (just ink-jet, and even that rarely). So I took advantage of Big W's half price calendar offer to give it a go. The worry is that my camera is also 9yo and most of my photos are less than 1MB. But I'm really pleased by the results. I had one made for myself, with a second as a present (with different photos). Now I'm wishing I'd made two more as extra presents! The offer has expired but if you've been thinking of trying it for yourself, I highly recommend it. Just be aware that it takes two weeks, and that if you're using portrait-shaped images you'll need to create a landscape image by joining two of the portrait photos at home (i.e. you can't do it at the store).

PS The photos are not grainy; I just forgot to reduce the image before posting.

This message was edited Nov 5, 2011 10:44 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

November 4, 2011
5:50 PM

Post #8876896

That grainy photo irks me: here it is again.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 4, 2011
7:18 PM

Post #8877004

Yes Anthony, I had already bought a couple when you warned me earlier this year. Never again.
Still a pretty flower though.

Lovely idea with the calendar cestrum. Your pics look great
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 4, 2011
7:20 PM

Post #8877006

Wow your own calender ! how cool .

Sorry to hear you gardeners have some bad experiences by buying on line, you should complain. If there is something wrong with what they sold you, a good supplier should replace the wrong or ruined item.
In all the years we have been in the spare parts field we have always done whatever was required to keep the customer happy if at all possible, in this era of cyber interaction it is really important to have a good name, cyber word of mouth is really good advertising, if the supplier does the wrong thing people will get to know pretty quickly.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

November 5, 2011
4:54 PM

Post #8878032

My potted Malabar spinach is full of berries. I think perhaps it's been stressed in the pot. (The other one is planted out somewhere in the netted brug bed.)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 5, 2011
5:47 PM

Post #8878087

They like warm shade cestrum ...soak some of those berries to see the beautiful colour they give. Pretty little blooms and berries.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

November 5, 2011
5:57 PM

Post #8878096

Great calender cestrum...

Look what I bought at Bunnings this morning...
Abutilon double pink "Tutu".
I have never seen a double Abutilon...It is lovely...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

November 5, 2011
6:04 PM

Post #8878102

Oh no, what have you done, Dianne! I have seen photos of doubles, haven't been able to get one, and will now have to go to Bunnings to see it for myself! And you've bought it in flower, so you really have got what's on the label. BTW, what does the label say--how large does it grow? (I'm sure I could squeeze another one under the old clothesline ...)

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

November 5, 2011
6:09 PM

Post #8878107

I hadn't even seen a pic of them, cestrum...I was gobsmacked when I saw this one...it was the only one amongst the singles..
It grows to 2 mts and the rest of the label reads like an ordinary Abutilon...full sun or part shade suited to pots..
If there is pink, I wonder if there is orange/yellow or red...
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

November 5, 2011
6:13 PM

Post #8878110

I'll be happy with just one :-) I left that old clothesline in the ground because it was near impossible to dig it out. But the sheer number of plants growing around it might end up achieving what I couldn't do. I'll see if I can get down there next week. Just for this one (last) plant, I swear LOL

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

November 5, 2011
6:33 PM

Post #8878135

If you can't get one, as soon as mine grows I will send you a cutting...

Did you see the Gardening Australia program last night...there was a vine on there called a Clock vine.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1800/#b
It was remarkable...grow that over the clothes line...though you probably already do...LOL

I checked a couple of sites that have a good range of Abutilons and Tutu is trademarked and the only double that they keep.

This message was edited Nov 6, 2011 11:35 AM
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

November 5, 2011
6:40 PM

Post #8878144

No, no, no, no cuttings LOL
If it's there, I'll buy it. If not. I'll consider it money--more importantly, space!!--saved LOL
I'll leave it in the hands of fate ;-)
Seriously, I am not accepting plant material!
Have taped GA but not yet watched although, checking out that url, it's not one I grow. Or wasn't growing, last time I looked ... who knows what's going on under there :-)

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

November 5, 2011
7:12 PM

Post #8878181

My mistake...I thought that you meant Brugs...anyway it's here if you have a change of heart...
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

November 5, 2011
7:43 PM

Post #8878249

You're very kind to offer a piece of your baby, Dianne.
I hope it flowers well for you ... I'm sure it will :-)
77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 5, 2011
7:58 PM

Post #8878270

Naughty woman, that Dianne. Now shes got Cestrum on the run to Bunnings I am going to just have to look myself when I get to Bunnings soon.
I must run out and tell hubby we really need to get over to Mt Gambier soon, Thats my nearest Bunnings.
I've never seen a double before either. So very pretty.
I took cuttings from my abutilons earlier this year and now have a nice lot of little plants.
Cestrum, I made sure I did the variegated one and there are lots of lovely roots coming from the bottom of the tubes now.
I really should do a few more . All my cuttings have done well in the greenhouse and are ready for the great outdoors now.
This greenhouse gets any sun all day so is warmer in winter than any of the others.
Jean.

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

November 5, 2011
8:11 PM

Post #8878288

You too, Jean? I remember your saying that you didn't have any room either :-)
Look what you've done, Dianne LOL
(But have you seen any abutilon seedlings, Jean? Because, with your collection, you might get an interesting new hybrid there.)
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

November 5, 2011
8:46 PM

Post #8878323

Actually, I do have one, just a tiny cutting from ebay sold under the name of Pink Swirls. They're still available: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Chinese-lantern-abutilon-pink-swirls-double-TUBES-/230692719733?pt=AU_Plants_Seeds_Bulbs&hash=item35b65b8c75
I wonder if it's the same as the one at Bunnings? There's nothing like seeing the plant in flower when you buy it. So perhaps I won't make that trip after all as I only need one double to scratch the itch :-)

The seller also has a very pretty double-pink form of Hibiscus syriacus, which should do well in cooler climates: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hibiscus-syriacus-double-pale-pink-TUBES-/250923847516?pt=AU_Plants_Seeds_Bulbs&hash=item3a6c3a0f5c

This message was edited Nov 6, 2011 12:51 PM
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

November 5, 2011
9:39 PM

Post #8878369

Here it is, my small Abutilon 'Pink Swirls'. (Disregard the label; it applies to one of the other abutilons growing here.) It's actually grown well--those large top leaves are new. It came in a tiny tube with very little top growth but, when I planted it out, I saw that its roots had filled the tube.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

November 5, 2011
9:43 PM

Post #8878373

I keep confusing hibiscus and abutilon, which makes it rather hard to keep track of what I have! Anyway, while I was there (I mean, poking around in the 'abutilon spot' under the clothesline), I found this yellow abutilon in flower. It looks rather plain; I much prefer the Vesuvius/lookalike.

This message was edited Nov 6, 2011 2:09 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 5, 2011
10:03 PM

Post #8878386

Cestrum, you are awful. Putting that eBay abutilon up in front of me.. grrrrrrrr.
I went and bought one straight away.See what you ladies have done ... lol
Its a conspiracy to make me have yet another collection .
I have seen no sign of pods on any of my abutilons, but the cuttings are looking good.
The dwarf seedlings are getting second leaves too.
Jean.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

November 5, 2011
10:07 PM

Post #8878390

No need to go to Bunnings now, Jean :-)
Although, you do realise that the postage for two plants is the same as that for one? (evil laughter ...)
77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 5, 2011
10:12 PM

Post #8878392

Yes, I have dealt with them quite a bit before . Always nice plants too.
I thought with the postage the same why only buy one plant ... big grin... I'm not so silly...
I can hear your evil giggling ...
Dianne, watch out for that woman. She is trying to lead us astray ...
Jean.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

November 5, 2011
10:15 PM

Post #8878393

(Trying???) Maybe Andrew Wilkie should think about introducing pre-commitment cards to ebay LOL
So, what did you buy?

This message was edited Nov 6, 2011 2:17 PM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 5, 2011
10:20 PM

Post #8878398

The dwarf pink abutilon and two, yes, two, dwarf hydrangeas. I needed them. ... I did, I did really
Jean.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

November 5, 2011
10:22 PM

Post #8878400

Andrew Wilkie! Andrew Wilkie! We need help here LOL
77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 5, 2011
10:22 PM

Post #8878401

Maybe I need another double abutilon. .hmmmmmmm
You know, in case one dies...
Jean
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

November 5, 2011
10:26 PM

Post #8878404

Jean (aka Noah, who needs two of each).
It won't die.
Truly :-)

Hang on, I see: postage for 4 is the same as for 3 plants, is that it? You're on a slippery slope here, Jean, because postage for up to NINETEEN plants is only a dollar more than for four. Better quit while you're ahead!

This message was edited Nov 6, 2011 2:29 PM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 5, 2011
10:57 PM

Post #8878419

aaawwwwwwww...do I have to stop ???????
I can fit more tubes in .. ( until they grow ) LOL...

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

November 5, 2011
11:26 PM

Post #8878428

It is the same as mine only Tutu is registered...that's why they are calling it Pink Swirls...good buy.
I grew a few of the H.syriacus...the flower is just like the double Abutilon only larger...a very hardy, pretty plant..

I think that you did need those Hydrangeas, Jean...mind you after looking at that site, I only just got out by the skin of my teeth without buying anything...
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

November 6, 2011
2:20 PM

Post #8879165

Very disciplined, Dianne :-)
I see that all the Pink Swirls abutilons have sold out ... Jean?
77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 6, 2011
2:38 PM

Post #8879185

No...No... Not me, I only bought one.
Really I did.. I was nearly going to get two though...
Lucky I jumped in quickly, wasnt it ?
Maybe Dianne snuck back in ???? hhmmmmmm

Heres my spuria iris "Cinnamon Stick "again. Love the way the flowers grow up the stem. Its about 6'high now.
Very easy to look after and very pretty.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

November 7, 2011
1:10 PM

Post #8880356

Not guilty...I resisted.

I am thinking of taking my computer off me...I shouldn't be allowed to look at plant sites...
maybe I could block the tempting sites.
LOL
That Spuria is very spectacular, Jean...it must look great in your garden..

I bought this Arisaema a few months ago...it's a bit hard to photograph it's long, whatever it's called.
I haven't looked it up yet...

This message was edited Nov 8, 2011 8:14 AM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 7, 2011
1:18 PM

Post #8880374

Walking past this White Iceberg rose on the way to the irises, I couldnt resist its perfection.
I moved it last year and it is now growing over an old fence post at the edge of the irises. So beautiful.
I also have the pink and burgundy Icebergs.
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 7, 2011
4:58 PM

Post #8880703

Dracunculus vulgaris.
The flies are having a ball around it. It is now out int he garden after I moved the old shadehouse. . Seems to like it out there .
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

November 7, 2011
5:01 PM

Post #8880708

Looks like a friend for my Arum dioscoridis above, Jean.
It also stinks.
My Dracunculus is yet to flower but looks very healthy.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 7, 2011
6:33 PM

Post #8880822

Lucas, I have another couple of aroids with similar leaves etc, but they havent flowered as yet.
I love the speckled trunks on this one.
Jean
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

November 8, 2011
12:08 PM

Post #8881698

Mmm, stinky plants: not for me!
Buddleja fallowiana ‘Lochinch’, one of the buddlejas that is still healthy. It's growing in a large bucket, no doubt with its roots in the soil, but I'm not moving it because I've lost so many buddlejas: this one is staying where it is as it's obviously happy here.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

November 8, 2011
1:05 PM

Post #8881782

Some lilies in my garden. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

November 8, 2011
1:07 PM

Post #8881784

another Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

November 8, 2011
1:08 PM

Post #8881788

don't forget the pink. colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 8, 2011
1:31 PM

Post #8881817

lovely Colleen.
Pretty buddlea , Cestrum
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

November 8, 2011
3:01 PM

Post #8881939

wow guys some of your plants are amazing hay
have fun growing
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

November 9, 2011
3:19 PM

Post #8883430

One of my poor cunjevois has had its leaves decimated by some type of caterpillar. I just haven't been able to catch it as it hides during the day and I don't want to spray, plus keep forgetting to go out at night with a torch to catch it. Anyway, while watering this morning I decided to hose straight down the stem in the gaps where the leaves attach to the stem (petiole?) and couldn't believe it: several large light-green caterpillars started wiggling out. I squashed them and continued watering the other plants and a while later happened to look at the cunjevoi again: I counted about 15 caterpillars that were wiggling their way out. If only I'd thought to hose them out before they skeletised the cunjevoi!

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

November 9, 2011
3:26 PM

Post #8883455

So I decided to hose down the other cunjevoi. There were only some snails in that one, plus what I thought was a grasshopper. I tried to flush it out and grab hold of it, but it ended up attaching itself to my finger with its legs. Then, it grabbed hold with its pincers and bit down on my finger thru the thin latex glove--I yelped (it hurt!) and tried to shake it off, but it was clamped down and refused to let go. Finally I managed to get it off and even take this photo.

I'm always conscious of the creepy crawlies in the garden but never thought I'd be attacked by a 'grasshopper' LOL (Any idea if it is a grasshopper?)

This message was edited Nov 10, 2011 9:26 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

November 9, 2011
3:34 PM

Post #8883469

Before the drama with the vicious grasshopper, I was hosing outside and suddenly from next door came the heavy, deliciously sweet perfume of my neighbour's dwarf sugar palm, Arenga engleri. It's a mature palm and when it flowers the breeze brings it straight to me. I have the pleasure of the perfume without having to find space for it in my garden: the perfect arrangement! But as I made my way further along the garden, I detected another fragrance beneath the sweetness of the arenga: unmistakeably Michelia champaca. But I just couldn't see any flowers on the nearest tree. Eventually I had to put the hose down and investigate, where I found 5 flowers on the front of the tree. It's a funny fragrance in that when you smell the flower itself, it's smells like a floral cologne but not necessarily one of the better ones--it's OK. But when you smell it wafting in the air it smells quite lovely!

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

November 9, 2011
3:37 PM

Post #8883474

Both champacas are full of seed and the seedlings germinate like grass wherever they get water. I yanked this one out from one of my brug pots. I'd plant them all, if only I had the space ...
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

November 9, 2011

Post #8883477

OK, here's the champaca seedling I pulled out from one of the brug pots this morning.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

November 9, 2011
3:40 PM

Post #8883483

The Rondeletia splendens is still spot flowering. The fragrance (with a hint of lemon) is so elusive. Most of the time it doesn't seem scented, regardless of what time of day I've sniffed it. But lately it's been perfumed every time I've smelt it.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 9, 2011
5:42 PM

Post #8883739

Do you suppose your neigbhour might be interesting in parting with some of her sugar palm seeds for a Brug cutting or two ? it sounds pretty good
http://www.florida-palm-trees.com/dwarf-sugar-palm-tree/
I wouldn't mind planting some into pots to take with me when I move, palms grow so slowly it would not be a problem.
Fragrant palm blooms huh ? is that why they are called Sugar Palms I wonder ? I would know they are fresh, and not old dead seeds like you tend to get when you buy them online.

Ouch your poor finger, I have read about those biters ...I carry scissors and tweezers when I go on a bug hunt, generally grab with the tweezers then snip any biters. It looks so ugly up close ...I bet they are those huge ones we get here that can jump over the 6ft fence. UGH !
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

November 9, 2011
6:29 PM

Post #8883792

Jump? They fly! A friend of mine says she'll be out standing in the garden when what seems like a wren darts past ... except that it's a grasshopper.
Oh well, it was fighting for its life. Just unfortunate that I couldn't grab it properly behind the head like I normally do, and that I wasn't wearing my thick gardening gloves either. The cat likes stalking them--I hope none of the pets gets bitten!

The smell is intensely sweet without being cloying--it never smells 'off'. And it wafts beautifully. I think my neighbour mentioned that it was very slow growing and I have an idea that it also takes a long time to start flowering. So you could be in for a *long* wait to smell that perfume, but I'll ask if he will be able to spare a few seeds when they ripen. I don't have any photos of it because I can't even see it--but boy, I can smell it :-)

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

November 9, 2011
7:09 PM

Post #8883854

That Sugar Palm sounds lovely, at least the perfume does...

Be careful cestrum, the insect population might be fighting back...
I've had it, if the snails ever decide to attack...
Has your mystery perfume decided to waft yet?...whatever it is it must be getting taller by now, hopefully...it may show itself this year.

I like your Rondeletia...I have R.amoena...pleasant perfume...

This is Golden Eagle a deciduous Azalea...not perfumed like Pink Ball...but very pretty.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 9, 2011
10:09 PM

Post #8884208

Bottlebrush are all flowering madly . This is one corner . Lots of colors in them spread around the garden.
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

November 9, 2011
11:50 PM

Post #8884231

Beautiful flowers everyone. Cestrum I can just about smell the perfume of the Sugar Palm the way you describe it. MMMMMM Jean your plants are late flowering aren't they. The bottlebrushes around here have flowered and finished about a month ago. They were really lovely this year. lots of flowers. Here's another lily called "Blackbird" Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 10, 2011
12:53 PM

Post #8884981

Colleen, I am always late here with flowers. Even down in town , things come out way before mine.
The bottlebrushes though, seem to spot flower quite a bit during the year. Some are done and some are still opening.
Must get out and grab a pic of the green one again. It didnt flower last year.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

November 10, 2011
9:24 PM

Post #8885562

Here's my "Grace" Jean...it is much stronger this year and stands tall above the other shrubs..

Blackbird is very pretty Colleen...I remembered it from last year...

This year is the best year that I have ever seen for native Frangipanis "Hymenosperum flavum"...all around Geelong to Bacchus Marsh..they are in flower from top to toe and the perfume...wow.
Even my dwarf ones are doing themselves proud...
Like the Bottlebrushes along the main roads...flowers everywhere.

It's been a very floriforous Spring...if that's the way to spell it...the spell check says NO...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 12, 2011
8:38 PM

Post #8887918

Rose Bantry Bay this morning. She is so lovely and will soon be back all over the new trellis.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 12, 2011
8:39 PM

Post #8887920

Very cute canna ' Little Devil '

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 12, 2011
8:40 PM

Post #8887922

Acanthus . I do like these for the statement they make. Foliage is pretty too until it dies off in summer.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 12, 2011
8:42 PM

Post #8887926

How about the color of this iris and look at the horns too. I grew it from seed given to me a few years ago.
Definitely a keeper.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

November 12, 2011
8:58 PM

Post #8887949

Beautiful everyone. Jean how are the Cannas that I sent going? Colleen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 12, 2011
9:33 PM

Post #8887979

Colleen, I truly didnt look at the labels to see which is doing what.
I had them all out in the garden in pots , but lost a few during winter with all the rain. I have moved them back under the tree now and they are all doing well . I was very surprised to see the flower pop out overnight. I hadnt even noticed a bud.
I will go and look to see if yours are still growing. The pretty one I got from eBay.
Jean.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

November 12, 2011
9:44 PM

Post #8887983

rhipsalis i have had for over 20y and still no name but i love this little 1

Thumbnail by SolMan

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

November 12, 2011
9:47 PM

Post #8887988

Rhipsalis Fl

Thumbnail by SolMan

77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 13, 2011
1:14 PM

Post #8888552

Colleen, I looked at my cannas, and yours are all growing except a red one.

I ended up with over 30 rhipsalis and aporos in with my epi collection when I bought it.
I have slowly got rid of them but there are still a few hanging around ( literally) . I hung them all on the tank stand.
I have thin ones and fat ones but prefer the epis in that type of plant .
Some of the rhipsalis pictured
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

November 13, 2011
3:24 PM

Post #8888683

Pachystachys lutea, one of the 'shrimp plants'. Not something I would have bought because I'm not crazy about the bright plastic-yellow colour of the plants sold in nurseries, but I couldn't walk past a whole group of them in a council planting. Still a small cutting but pretty in flower.

This message was edited Nov 14, 2011 9:25 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

November 13, 2011
3:30 PM

Post #8888695

Now have a look at this.
I broke the piece of the original stem of Pachystachys lutea into two cuttings. One is growing in a sunny spot; that one is shown in the previous photo.
The other one is growing in shade ... can they possibly be the same plant? And yet, my records say this was the 2nd cutting from the stem of the council plant.
Even the underside of the leaves are different--dark purple.
Are my records wrong?
They must be! So what is this thing then??

This message was edited Nov 14, 2011 9:37 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 13, 2011
3:47 PM

Post #8888719

Looks a bit like either a justica or a salvia species, cestrum.
Jean
77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 13, 2011
3:49 PM

Post #8888722

Kniphofia around the irises. Look spectacular in real life. Pics never show the full effect.
I also have lots of clumps of the dwarf yellow which flowers prolifically.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 13, 2011
3:51 PM

Post #8888727

Very pretty rose "News " which is a nice purple , better than pic shows.
I also have the double . "Great News"
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 13, 2011
3:54 PM

Post #8888734

Found this rose blooming down behind some other plants. I planted a couple of unknowns there a few years ago and promptly forgot them. This one is similar to Double Delight in having the white inside the petals.
Not as much but very pretty.
I must move it up with all the others. Too pretty to be hidden away.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

November 13, 2011
4:24 PM

Post #8888780

You're right, Jean!
I've tracked it down. Not a Pachystachys at all, but one that came to me labelled Justicia carnea (with a pink flower).
However, looking at photos online, the dark leaves seem more like Justicia aurea (with a yellow flower).
I guess we'll know when that bract shows some colour.
Meanwhile, Dianne, I have beans from those seeds planted in the new brug bed. My mother in Melbourne says that her beans are flowering and she's likely to be harvesting them by Christmas, which is a first for her as they've never been ready until the new year in the past. My lot are likely to be dead by Christmas!

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 13, 2011
4:27 PM

Post #8888784

cestrum , my justica has pink flowers and leaves similar to yours
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

November 13, 2011
4:30 PM

Post #8888790

Yes! The leaves look the same, don't they, with purple undersides. (The shade has probably produced the extra large and dark leaves on mine; yours looks like it's in brighter light.) We'll be sure when it flower but it's almost certainly Justicia carnea. Thanks for the ID :-)

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

November 13, 2011
6:28 PM

Post #8889020

My beans running up the Brugs were stripped of all their leaves by Jean's slugs...I thought that I had the snails under control...they are only allowed out the front...
Then came the slugs...they allowed me to harvest quite a few Sugar peas before they cleaned them up too...I replanted bean seeds in another place..too tempting near the Brugs...
They don't touch the Salvias or this Philadelphus virginalis...
I have bought some plastic gloves to pick the slugs up with...yucko..

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 13, 2011
6:32 PM

Post #8889024

I believe in sharing Dianne. If I have sluggies, everyone should.

I found an ugly brown caterpillar on one of my epis this morning.
I should have let him munch them after the poor flower show this year lol.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

November 13, 2011
6:37 PM

Post #8889030

So do I Jean, so you can expect some extremely voracious little green caterpillars in the next post.

They have arrived and started chomping on my seedlings...
News is beautiful...

cestrum, I have never had peas this early so I can understand how pleased your mother would be about her beans..mine new planting will see flowers shortly too.

This message was edited Nov 14, 2011 1:42 PM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 13, 2011
7:54 PM

Post #8889123

Okay Dianne, in exchange, I'll send a couple of dozen Harlequin Bugs. grin , grin,,
Jean.

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

November 13, 2011
8:05 PM

Post #8889141

Peas, did you say? Mine just shrivelled because a spring sowing was too late for them. The bird netting keeps the caterpillar population down, although some cabbage moths still manage to fly thru the holes and lay eggs. But not as many as would happen without the netting. And I scattered snail pellets because ... well, we have sister-snail gardens so no need for further explanation! It's just lovely to be able to forage in your own garden.

No bugs for me, thank you ladies :-)

BTW, it seems that AustPost has been taking my seeds on scenic routes instead of sticking to the highways. I posted brug seeds last Tuesday, if anyone is still waiting for them ...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 15, 2011
8:20 PM

Post #8892085

I hope you tropical kids won't laugh, but to me this is a real beauty.(common up there of course, but not here)
It was taken in windy pre storm conditions this morning. Sorry it's so dark.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 15, 2011
8:26 PM

Post #8892096

in the jungle

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 15, 2011
8:36 PM

Post #8892114

My Jacaranda tree is huge but it is a pretty dark grey sky(as usual). I am in the jungle despite possible snakes ...looking up into the tree, this is only half of it because I cannot fit it all in.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 15, 2011
8:39 PM

Post #8892121

then The almost black and white picture of the huge Ice Cream Bean tree (I grew it from a seed ) ...love it, and will miss it.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 15, 2011
8:42 PM

Post #8892127

The giant cactus that crashed in a storm and is busy making a forest of cacti where it fell. Gulp. It has a very pleasant edible fruit that looks like a plum. Those babies are about 8/9 ft tall.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 15, 2011
8:46 PM

Post #8892135

it's so dark my pictures look like black and whites, this cactus looks like a totem pole sitting watch over the triffids in the jungle.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 15, 2011
8:49 PM

Post #8892142

The big white Bird Heads on the White Bird Of Paradise.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

November 15, 2011
9:25 PM

Post #8892169

OMG Chrissy. My B&W bird of paradise is in my SH. I'd better get it out of there before it gets any bigger. Colleen
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

November 16, 2011
3:45 AM

Post #8892299

Hi guys,
would any of you know the name of this plant????

Thumbnail by SolMan

77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 16, 2011
12:33 PM

Post #8892998

Sorry Shaun, no idea, but I wouldnt want to grab a piece . very spiky , but pretty.
One of our ladies will know.
Jean

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

November 16, 2011
12:45 PM

Post #8893012

Don't recognize it, Shaun...cute but a bitey...I have enough trouble with Roses and Epis...

This little plant is Verbascum."Pink Kisses"
A very dainty little thing.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

November 16, 2011
2:31 PM

Post #8893166

[quote="DeadlyNight"]Hi guys,
would any of you know the name of this plant????[/quote]
The leaves/thorns remind me of a carissa but the flowers are too large and feathery ...

Here is Fuchsia triphylla, one of the fuchsias that is supposed to be more suitable for warmer climates. It's growing in dappled light in an eastern aspect and regularly watered, so it has the best of conditions. I'm just underwhelmed by the flowers.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

November 16, 2011
2:34 PM

Post #8893171

A cunjevoi in flower. Has a musk-lolly smell but isn't strong in my garden: I thought it would be much better.
When hosing down the stem to deter the caterpillars that can defoliate the leaves almost overnight, I found another one of those biting grasshoppers hiding along the stem. Didn't have thick gloves on so I left it alone!

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

November 16, 2011
3:16 PM

Post #8893242

Shaun have a look under "Pereskia". I have one but mine is different to yours and I have never seen a flower on it. It's in the Cactus family. Colleen
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

November 17, 2011
2:42 AM

Post #8893798

thanks for all the help in ID of my plants
i don't know if it is "Pereskia" the flower reminds me of Evening primrose
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

November 17, 2011
3:09 AM

Post #8893806

Shaun, the Pereskia is known as the rose cactus. Have a look at "Pereskia horrida" Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 17, 2011
4:15 AM

Post #8893836

http://www.cactus-succulents.com/pereskia_portulacifolia.jpg ...getting closer ?
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

November 17, 2011
4:41 AM

Post #8893854

look simualr but not the flower is delicate

Thumbnail by SolMan

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 17, 2011
6:03 AM

Post #8893934

http://cactiguide.com/graphics/p_weberiana_b_600.jpg warmer ?
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

November 17, 2011
2:17 PM

Post #8894534

its all about the stigma
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

November 17, 2011
3:34 PM

Post #8894647

Buddleja x weyeriana. Turns out that all my B. davidii hybrids had died, but this surviving weyeriana is one of my favourites.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

November 17, 2011

Post #8894649

Hibiscus El Capitalio sport.
Haven't been able to successfully pollinate any of its flowers so far.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

November 17, 2011
3:44 PM

Post #8894657

Mirabilis jalapa 'Limelight', named for the light-green colour (technically 'chartreuse') of its leaves.
Aka 'Four o'clocks' because the flowers are supposed to open around 4pm. They open much later in the warmth here.
So far I haven't been able to smell the perfume: it's not there when I sniff in the late afternoon when the flowers haven't opened yet, and is gone by the next morning (although most of the flowers are still open). Probably because the temps are so high.

This message was edited Nov 18, 2011 9:54 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

November 17, 2011
5:43 PM

Post #8894789

[quote="cestrum_SEQ"]Buddleja x weyeriana. Turns out that all my B. davidii hybrids had died, but this surviving weyeriana is one of my favourites.[/quote]

That's bad luck cestrum...I know how fond of them you are...that B x weyeriana looks very nice...
I bought Black Night and Pink Delight last year, fingers crossed so far so good...they are just beginning to flower..

I had no luck with the Mirabilis, it grew but never flowered...now it's disappeared...I saw something growing in it's place, turned out to be a fig shoot...oh well.

Shaun...delicate, poppy texture like white flowers with 5 petals...thorns ... leaves that look small, oval and in pairs...looks like a succulent...I still can't find it either.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

November 17, 2011
5:55 PM

Post #8894809

Dianne, I had both those B. davidii cultivars, both now dead. It's the old combo of heat + humidity that did it. I don't think you have that problem, so they should be hardy in your area. No need to keep your fingers crossed! My non-davidii buddlejas are doing well though, eg. B. crispa, Spring Promise, x weyeriana (one of them, anyway: the other died), B. madagascariensis. So the buddlejas have self-selected themselves for my climate :-)
Don't give up on the mirabilis yet--they might still reappear. Although I lost several seedlings last year. (It seems they're not bulletproof until they become established.) It was lovely to see the new leaves as the survivors re-emerged this spring, much bigger than last year and with many more flowers on them. I think these are here to stay LOL

Here are two of my oleanders: Madonna at top, Judy's single yellow at bottom. The yellow is so pale it's really cream at best--perhaps it will colour up as the season progresses--but it's still very pretty. Only the Madonna is scented (lightly, so far).

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

November 17, 2011
6:40 PM

Post #8894865

cestrum...I still find it amazing that 4 o'clocks have a perfume...all those years considering them a pest...if only I'd known...lol...my mother loves them, but even she had no idea...mind you neither of us ever sniffed them at night...

There was a true yellow Oleander released a couple of years ago and Judy was trying to buy one...I hope she found it.

Your "Spring Promise" is always a picture.
I love these Petunias.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 17, 2011
7:59 PM

Post #8895002

Dianne the 4óclocks set a tuber underground in the cooler temperatures and will come back up when it is warm again, you should have them come back up for Christmas. They smell delicious ! from about 4 onwards, but allow for daylight savings (that means 5 around these here parts ) One tuber I dug out was about the size of a loaf of bread. It had been there for many years of coarse.
So don't put stuff on top of the place they grew until you check for the underground tubers.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 17, 2011
8:22 PM

Post #8895034

cestrum I still have all the ones you sent me if you need some back :)
They like my sand ! it rains all the time here and the humidity is a shocker,
it's why I love the sand so much.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

November 17, 2011
8:32 PM

Post #8895046

I have now enough for life, I think LOL
But Dianne might like some ...

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

November 18, 2011
12:14 AM

Post #8895166

My Fig has told me in no uncertain terms that it will not share it's wine barrel with anything that grows to the size of a loaf of bread...if mine does come up Chrissy, then we may have to consider moving it...
I will be content to watch cestrum's grow from here... ¦◄)
77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 18, 2011
1:16 PM

Post #8895925

Chrissy, the only 4 oçlocks that grow here are the 3 bright pinks that came up a few years back and regrow every year. I have spread seeds of them but they will only grow in the one place. That place is now nearly covered by the giant kangaroo apple which I am not moving.
i tried digging a couple of the other pink ones that were there and moving them. They died.
I do have one other growing next to my trellis. I think it must be one of the many seeds you sent . It is mostly yellow with some pink. Not another one has shown its face anywhere here. .
Triffids dont like it here for some reason even though I try my best to encourage them. The only triffids that like here are the wallflowers, 2 species geraniums and nasturtiums.
Jean.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

November 18, 2011
5:21 PM

Post #8896190

What I like about this type of mirabilis is the darker splotching on the light leaves, a little like a green variegation.
Interestingly, this seedling has the most of this 'variegation' even though they are all are growing in a row in the same bed.
Perhaps it's a natural variation in seed-grown plants. The leaves, even without the splotching, are attractive on their own.

This message was edited Nov 19, 2011 11:22 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 18, 2011
6:14 PM

Post #8896239

Yours are very early cestrum. mine haven't started up yet but any time now,usually 3/4 ft high and in full flower for Christmas.
Smells just so delicious ...The lemony jasmine fragrance fills the garden at dusk as they open .
Interesting leaf difference, as you say pretty even without the blooms. Every flower gives you a seed.

Dianne it takes a few years for that tuber to grow so big, so you have plenty of time.

Jean yes I have lots of yellows splashed with reds/pinks and corals and the other way around too. I get no plain ones at all.
It's a very old strain. For the first time last couple of years I have white, with the odd splash of red (I call it my Dexter 4óclock). Sing out if you want any fresh seeds this year, the seeds need to be fairly fresh. I would send in January and if you plant straight away they have time to grow before Winter.

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

November 18, 2011
6:24 PM

Post #8896252

Native hibiscus, lovely large Brick Red with the much smaller Cha's Mist, which I'm not crazy about.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

November 18, 2011
6:30 PM

Post #8896258

The only thing I like about Cha's Mist, apart from its toughness, is that it isn't as thorny as my other native hibiscus. The leaves actually feel like coarse sandpaper, but they're not very attractive and the flower is small and boring. I find that the caterpillars like all my native hibiscus--not even those tiny bristly hairs on my other native hibiscus (that can really sting if you squeeze down on them without gloves) don't seem to deter the caterpillars. They must taste good.
I didn't see this caterpillar until I went for a closeup of the flower.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

November 18, 2011
6:41 PM

Post #8896267

[quote="chrissy100"]Yours are very early cestrum. mine haven't started up yet but any time now,usually 3/4 ft high and in full flower for Christmas.
[/quote]

Yes, everything starts sooner here because of the sustained heat. But it also finishes sooner in many cases (e.g. my beans). BTW, I've just picked a seedpod from my Brick Red native hibiscus and, according to the label, it was pollinated on 14 October: only 5 weeks to maturity! Now to sow them and see if they are actually viable (they look good).

Hibiscus Tye-Dye Wind, yesterday.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

November 23, 2011
9:22 PM

Post #8903585

Lovely hot pink, cestrum.

Here are 2 different Hydrangeas, love them both.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 23, 2011
9:37 PM

Post #8903594

Have your seeds come up yet cestrum ? are you getting all the rain too ?

Dianne those Hydrangeas would love all this wet. I used to grow magnificent ones in my last garden, but they do not like it here, I do not know why. Very pretty.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 24, 2011
5:38 PM

Post #8904255

I just love these little darlings and they are loving the rain, so bright and cheerful just like glass ornaments. They give me great joy.
Elaine please tell Helen that for me won't you ^_^

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 24, 2011
5:40 PM

Post #8904257

It's a wet wet jungle out there

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

November 24, 2011
9:09 PM

Post #8904555

Chrissy, what is that grey leafed thing hanging down..it looks like Palm fronds...
I love the Parrot too...I just repotted mine this afternoon...good description, glass ornaments...

This little Sinningia is growing really quickly..the soft grey leaves were on the base when I bought it a couple of weeks ago and they have shot up...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 24, 2011
9:14 PM

Post #8904571

Chrissy, I still have my parrot here too. I took cuttings a while ago which are all flowering now.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 24, 2011
9:28 PM

Post #8904602

Dianne it is the skirts of two Washington Cotton Palms ...They don't shed their dead leaves, they looked so innocent when my grandchildren bought them with their pocket money for me about 15 years ago and I had to plant them. At first I hated that skirt look but they have aged into a lovely old aged antique grey jungle look, they were only about 4" tall then, just seedlings.

I love mine Jean ...they sit just outside my back door and always look beautiful.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 28, 2011
2:11 PM

Post #8909229

A mystery plant. The plants just grew this year out in the orchard garden. I have never seen them before. I didnt plant any seeds like this. I thought maybe weeds at first, but left them to see what turned out.
Very unusual coloring and pretty too. I hope they self seed .
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 28, 2011
2:13 PM

Post #8909231

The whole plant. They have grown to about 18"high.
Many little black fluffy heads which open to have these cute flowers with spots.
Reminds me of the old fashioned pincushion flowers.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

November 28, 2011
2:35 PM

Post #8909267

LOL, Jean...
They are from the seeds I sent you...Scabiosa Crimson Clouds...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

November 28, 2011
2:38 PM

Post #8909271

They sure do self seed...at the time I said just throw them in...they'll do the rest..
I didn't like to ask how they were in case they hadn't come up.
But I am very pleased they have...now you will have them forever and all over the place.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 28, 2011
2:46 PM

Post #8909286

Shows how my mind works, Dianne.
I should write everything down these days. I never thought any more about the seeds. I love them and i do hope they self seed everywhere.
Funny how we look at a plant and seem to know if its a weed or not. I had a feeling these were definitely not weeds.
Now I can collect the seeds and throw them around .
thanks .
Jean.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

November 29, 2011
12:57 AM

Post #8909959

I had a blue scabiosa & resorted to round up when it just went crazy & tried to take over the entire garden!
I have seen it in pots & now wish I had some...
although I have to say the crimson is way prettier.
Might have to look for seeds & give that one a go.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

November 29, 2011
9:56 PM

Post #8911055

here is a baby that just popped her head out in the last 2 days
arisaema candidissimum
PRITTY PRITTY

Thumbnail by SolMan

77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 29, 2011
10:00 PM

Post #8911060

That is so pretty Shaun.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 29, 2011
10:07 PM

Post #8911069

What a cute little thing ...my pic is common but cute granny plant

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 29, 2011
10:08 PM

Post #8911071

and Mandy amongst the succulents

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 29, 2011
10:12 PM

Post #8911079

Summer jasmine with the spider making a parcel out of a bug all neatly tired up in web ready for dinner later ...he had a good look at me but kept wrapping up the bug.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

November 29, 2011
10:40 PM

Post #8911115

rose 'Yours Always'

Thumbnail by dalfyre

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

November 29, 2011
10:46 PM

Post #8911118

My A.candidissimum has just poked it's head thru, Shaun...I was wondering where it was, it's the last to flower this year...your's looks lovely...

Love Mandy, Chrissie..I have the pink too...the flower suits those leaves.

Gorgeous Rose, Teresa...any perfume...I don't know that one.

More pink...Alstromerias

This message was edited Nov 30, 2011 5:56 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

November 29, 2011
11:01 PM

Post #8911122

like the alstromeria. I am looking out for it to be offered at The Warehouse again to put in pots on the terrace.
Mum has the yellow but is trying to eradicate it as it is so invasive.
Might try & grab a bit for a pot.

I put my trellis up & tied the sweet peas to it, they are now starting to flower & look really nice...

Thumbnail by dalfyre

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

December 1, 2011
1:51 AM

Post #8912191

Great thread everyone ...we have moved to December ...Christmas Countdown ...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1232114/ walk this way ---------->

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 219 Aug 22, 2014 8:21 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America