-
AuthorContent
1_Lucky_Texan
Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 2, 2011
6:33 AM

Post #8873093

Anyone have a door that frustratingly drifts out from the wall when open?

tip; you can remove the center hinge pin, put it on the garage floor w'ever, and use a hammer to tap a slight curve into it. When you re-install it, it will create enough friction to keep a door in w'ever position you place it.
gen2026
Camden, AR

December 9, 2011
11:43 AM

Post #8922793

great idea! I have to try this!
1_Lucky_Texan
Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 4, 2012
7:25 AM

Post #9324272

I just did this again at mother-in-law's apartment.
gen2026
Camden, AR

November 5, 2012
11:28 AM

Post #9325406

By the opposite way - like a door that is almost pushed too that just opens completely back open on its own?? I assume it will since really you are just trying to get it to stay in the position you want it in...

Thanks!
Genna

This message was edited Nov 5, 2012 1:28 PM
1_Lucky_Texan
Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 5, 2012
1:18 PM

Post #9325494

yeah. it creates enough friction to hold a door in position.

So far, I haven't experienced any squeaking but I suppose that's a possibility.
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

November 6, 2012
6:07 AM

Post #9325896

Sometimes the door casing was not installed plumb or it has gone out of plumb. A small 2x4 and a hammer may allow you to tap the casing back to the correct position.
billnel
Corvallis, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 7, 2012
8:11 AM

Post #9326890

First thing, check that all the hinge screws are tight. This is the same thing you do if the door starts to rub somewhere.

As Bubba_M stated, the self swinging door is usually due to the casing not being installed plumb in the framing. However, it is usually impossible to tap it into alignment due to all the screws holding it in place. If you can do so, then the door is improperly installed.

To fix the problem generally involves removing the door and trim, removing all but one or two screws on the top/bottom and side that is out of plumb, tapping it into alignment, then replacing everything. Note that there are shims that may need to be replaced. If you don't know how to do all this, buy a book on installing doors.

1_Lucky_Texan
Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 7, 2012
8:25 AM

Post #9326909

sometimes, the ceiling fan breeze pushes our bedroom door partially shut, that's the only door I've had to do this trick with at our own home.

Of course, there are also mechanical and magnetic 'door stops'/clips that would help hold doors completely open. Occasionally, folks may need a door to remain in some mid-way position.

The bent pin trick is just quick and cheap. Not intended as a substitute for proper construction.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Home Repairs and Maintenance Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to Home Repairs & Maintenance Terry 19 Dec 7, 2014 11:16 AM
hiring help roxroe 16 Mar 27, 2007 9:04 AM
I hated trimming the grass along the fence jleec 15 Jun 6, 2011 6:47 AM
Hi! I'm new but have 2 questions Illoquin 7 Apr 5, 2007 6:48 PM
Eeek... mice! dreamingofeden 10 Mar 15, 2009 10:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America