Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Seed Germination: Black Pearl Pepper

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 8, Views: 76
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Windy
Belleville , IL
(Zone 6b)

November 2, 2011
9:57 AM

Post #8873284

I purchased a lovely container containing a Black Pearl Ornamental pepper plant. It is really pretty and I want to sow seeds next year. How do I collect the seed. The peppers which start out a deep purple eventually turn red. This is probably the time the seeds are ripe. How do I extract the seed? Do I totally dry the red peppers?

Thumbnail by Windy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

November 2, 2011
3:59 PM

Post #8873651

Peppers are easy. Pick a pepper when it is really ripe and cut it open. It's easy to rub the seed off onto a paper plate or aluminum pie tin. When they are completely dry you can put them in what ever you want to store them. I use pill bottles.
Windy
Belleville , IL
(Zone 6b)

November 2, 2011
5:39 PM

Post #8873800

ty
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 3, 2011
11:59 AM

Post #8874858

Please be careful so you don't touch your eyes, nose,well any mucous membranes after handling peppers . Unless you know they are sweet peppers. I wear gloves and still manage to mess it up. Lol. My teenage son, who knows better, went to the restroom after cutting up some Jals. He ended up setting with an icepack on his lap for an hour. And he thinks I'm embarrassing!

If you have any extra seeds you would like to trade please dmail me. I have many varieties of peppers but that is one I haven't tried. Please let me know, you cansend me the pod and I'll deal with the seeds. Lol
mraider3
Helena, MT

November 6, 2011
4:02 AM

Post #8878504

1lisac, I did the same thing almost fifty years ago while working for a city greenhouse. The parks director assigned me the task of planting hundreds of Christmas pepper plants which he distributed to city workers and church friends. I can't describe how painful that was, but I will never forget the incident. I would however suggest a double layer of those disposable gloves when working with the hot hot peppers. I have found a single layer to sometimes be ineffective. Even cooking hot peppers can be a dangerous thing. I use six to ten chopped cayenne peppers in my version of mom's green bean dish. I start with 1-inch squares of bacon and the chopped peppers before adding green beans, potatoes, and onions. When heated bacon splatters, the addition of hot peppers can be extremely dangerous. You must wear safety goggles when preparing this dish.
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2011
6:21 PM

Post #8894841

Mine self-sows right in the pot, so I don't think they are too difficult to germinate.
Windy
Belleville , IL
(Zone 6b)

November 17, 2011
7:13 PM

Post #8894948

Are you referring to the Black Pearl pepper, Kay? If so, does it come true from seed or is it a hybrid?
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 18, 2011
5:16 AM

Post #8895282

Yes, Windy - the black pearl ornamental pepper. I pull out the extra seedlings, so I don't know if it's true from seed or not.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 18, 2011
12:44 PM

Post #8895824

According to the DG PF this pepper is O/P so it should come true to seed, unless it is grown close to another type of pepper and they X polinate

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America