Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Brugmansias: cuttings

Communities > Forums > Brugmansias
bookmark
Forum: BrugmansiasReplies: 7, Views: 129
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

November 2, 2011
10:03 AM

Post #8873290

What does this look like to you I can't believe some one would send this

This message was edited Nov 3, 2011 5:21 AM

Thumbnail by Danasplants
Click the image for an enlarged view.

bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 2, 2011
10:36 AM

Post #8873321

That is a pretty pathetic cutting! Herrenhauser Garten always had very corky bark as the wood matured. I've seen injuries do that also. When I had a power outage late January, those damaged branches that survived developed that look. Fred is very good at diagnosing problems. Maybe he can chime in and tell you if that could endanger you collection. At the very least, I would isolate the cutting.
Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

November 2, 2011
11:07 AM

Post #8873338

I think no one should send such a thing if you want to chance it ok as far as I am concerned nothing is worth the risk
gaseedgrower
Hollywood, FL
(Zone 11)

November 2, 2011
11:28 AM

Post #8873364

You need to let whoever send that cutting know that she/he shoudn't send those again to anyone. If it carries that dreadful SB it can easily wipe out an entire collections.
Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

November 2, 2011
12:04 PM

Post #8873406

oh they know i sent a nice note I said you must be new at this guess who they buy from "Peter"
xeriscape8321
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

November 2, 2011
2:29 PM

Post #8873552

Personally that does not look bad...it looks like a cutting from a branch that is transitional...becoming corky...SB looks much more menacing...dark and infective looking...some plants like pink smitty, or peanut get that corky look but not dark or infective. When you see stem blight it is usually obvious...this cutting to me just looks transitional...but i would isolate it if you have doubts and watch it closely...personally from experience, i think it's just getting ready to transition to a corky phase...there is no blackening or darkening as far as i can see...looks more like injury than infection...but when in doubt...ISOLATE!!!

This message was edited Nov 2, 2011 4:30 PM
Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

November 2, 2011
3:53 PM

Post #8873642

No here is the 3 cuttings I have Felicity its does the cork thing too this is not that. Not where the plant was hurt scraped nope this is something else. This person sent me 3 different sets of cuttings different plants they all have it proably don't even know to clean the clippers between plants

Thumbnail by Danasplants
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 3, 2011
4:51 AM

Post #8874302

I agree with you, there are a lot of new brug growers and they have no idea how fast they can be infected using the same cutters without putting them in some salution befor cutting another one, I always had a dish of bleach and water and laid the clippers in it after every cut, even on the same plant.

Doris

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Brugmansias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
it you take cuttings from a blooming plant.. arlene 52 Dec 21, 2010 12:39 PM
Great Brugmansia hybrids fast Brugmansia 24 Jul 8, 2013 12:49 AM
How Many Other Canadian Brug Lovers Are Here? Ladybug 30 Aug 7, 2010 8:24 PM
Labeled Parts - 2nd try poppysue 15 Jan 8, 2010 2:19 PM
parentage monika 80 Nov 14, 2011 6:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America