-
AuthorContent
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 2, 2011
5:59 PM

Post #8873834

Is it me, or has the past year flown by? I can’t believe it’s already time for our Christmas exchange! Thank you so much, LK, for volunteering to Co-Hostess

Among the suggestions of gifts below are several clever ideas many of you submitted. When you sign up, pick TWO categories by the numbers you’d like to RECEIVE and also let us know if you’re allergic to any foods or scents. Also mention the type of decorations you like or don’t like. Your Secret Santa may choose to send more than the two categories you pick.

1. Receive a Stuffed Stocking, either bought or homemade.

2. Receive an Ornament, a decorative Santa, Snowman, or Snow Woman. It’ll be up to your Buddy to choose which one.

3. Receive a minimum of six bows along with a plain wreath, homemade or bought. You as the recipient will be able to change the bows during the coming months and decorate the wreath to your liking.

4. Receive a new decorated Red or Green Garden Trowel or another new decorated gardening tool you can display inside or out. Again, it’ll be your Buddy’s choice.

5. Receive a small artificial tree decorated with traditional or non-traditional items. Non-traditional items could include shells, mirrored tiles, pine cones, feathers, sprays of flowers and leaves, or a combination of these or other items you have in your craft stash or imagination. It’s totally up to your Secret Santa how your tree will be decorated.

6. Receive food or non-food items. A few food items could be cookies, cakes, brownies, chocolates, pickles, and jams. Non-food items could include soaps, potpourri, fuzzy socks, or dish towels. Just for suggestions. Your Buddy will surprise you with their choice(s).

7. Receive a Glass Jar Candle with the scent of your Buddy’s choice.

8. Receive a regional cookbook OR several recipe note cards OR a magazine, new or used, that features Holiday recipes. Again this option will be left up to your Buddy.

9. Receive a mystery gift that begins with First Initial of YOUR User ID.

10. Receive a Large or Small garden flag OR Wind Chimes…your Buddy’s choice.

As always, our goal is to have fun as we celebrate another Christmas together and enjoy each other’s company! Put your thinking caps on, use your imagination, and brighten someone’s day with a box of gifts whether they’re on the suggested lists or not.

Fine print…..

If you have not participated in a swap I’ve moderated, prior to posting, please D-mail me your name, address, phone number and email address for my log.

All participants need to ensure your subscription is paid through January 31, 2012.

The value of the gifts you send should be around $20, excluding Priority Mail with a Delivery Confirmation Number.

Sign-Up ENDS Saturday, November 6th, at Noon.

You'll receive your Buddy’s name shortly afterwards in a D-mail from either LK or me. Reveal your Secret Santa when you receive your package. Please Priority Mail your package with a Delivery Confirmation number no later than the week of December 5th. If you are mailing fragile items, please insure your package. Keep your receipt handy or D-mail the Delivery Confirmation number you used to either LK or me, depending on which one of us assigned your Buddy. NEVER post tracking numbers directly on our threads.

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1226690/

This message was edited Nov 4, 2011 7:11 PM

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
Click the image for an enlarged view.

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 2, 2011
5:59 PM

Post #8873836

Reserved for participants.

1234dottie / Dottie -- > #2 I love ornaments. Snowmen are my favorite. #4 Any kind of garden tool. #10 I do not have any kind of garden flag, I also love windchimes. Would love to have Surprises.

Bettypauze / Betty -- > absolutely no preference. Cannot receive plants or food across the border.

Carolyn22 / Carolyn -- > I don't like vanilla scented things, but love cinnamon. Would like a stocking stuffed with homemade items or things such as gardening tape and seeds. The other ideas all look good too.

ClanCampbell / Chris -- > #2- I like Santa Clauses best, I guess- really, no preference here
#10- don't really do flags that much, but everyone knows how much I love windchimes :-) (hint,hint) :-)
No allergies, but I don't like food smelling candles (like apple pie, etc) - would rather have something scented like flowers or vanilla (hmm, guess that might be food scented) I once found a victorian rose/vanilla candle that I LOVED.. and they quit making them LOL.

Cris316 -- > Would love to receive any of the items. Numbers 2, 6, 7 or 9 especially.
Allergic to bananas. Love vanilla scented items (candles, sachet, etc)

Crit / Patti -- > #6 is first pick. Second picks would be:
#2 I like snowmen/women
#5 Up to my buddy
#8 I love cookbooks and other people's recipe's that they like
#9 I'm a C. If you opt for cactus, I like unusual hens/chicks, odd cactus like living rock, etc. I'm not especially "asking" for cactus, just wanted to throw that in, in case. It is ALL up to my buddy
#10 Would like to start getting yard flags, but don't have any of the holders that they go on. I also love windchimes.
No allergies. Love food, chocolate, jams and clay thingy's. (hint hint. And that's a C! ) Don't care for cinnamon type scents. Use scentsy warmers more than candles. Like scents like Thunderstorm, Enchanted Mist and Rainforest...or for Christmas Poinsettia Pine.

Cville_Gardener / Carole -- > #4 and #10
I don't care for santas, elves, reindeer, angels, stockings, holiday ornaments and so forth. We don't put up a big tree.
Not allergic to anything but not wild about a lot of overpowering scents. Cinnamon, vanilla and citrus are my faves.
Do like small decorated trees (the funkier, the better), yard art, gardening items of all kinds, mobiles, stained glass, dark chocolate, soup fixins, pastas, and coffees/teas (especially organic).

deejay9 / Susie -- > I Would love any of these #2, #3, #6, or #9 but truly anything for my new home. Love rainbow colors. I have a small white tree so I have my hands up for Mini oddball ornaments for my tree from any one :) Love crafty people.

froggies_girl / Julie -- > My preferences are #6, 9, 1, 4, or 5 (I'm collecting New Orleans Saints items and their team emblem, the fleur de lis). Hyacinth, paperwhites, or other bulbs are fine. Buddy, I'm putting specifics but I'll love whatever you send. And I'd love a book that the children and I can record favorite Christmas traditions. Can be handmade or bought.

FruitOfTheVine / Susan -- > I'm picking #9 and #10 but would be just as happy with Surprises. Also love dark chocolate, jarred candles, and homemade jams or jellies. Don't send me a Fruitcake...lol, and I can't stand Chocolate Covered Cherries.

happgarden / Joyce -- > #2 and #9 Anything is ok with me. I am traditional bright red/bright green/and white Christmas person. Love surprises & homemade jelly.

irisluvr0252 / Debbie -- > Sorry, I can't pick just 2!
#2, 6, 8, 10...out of these 4 I think I would go with #2 and #8 but would definitely be happy with anything my buddy chooses!

jab91864 / Julie -- > I will be easy, whatever my buddy wants to send. No allergies or major dislikes.

joeswife / Debra -- > Surprise me.

lizrainey / Liz -- > #6 and #10 -- No rose smell, no coconut or cheese.

mandy97 / Mandy -- > I think I'd like #6 and either #1 or #8 - buddy's choice. I'm not a fan of floral scents, but do enjoy fruit and cinnamon scents.

Mud_Elf / Kris -- > First choice would be # 5. I would like the mini-tree as it can be our Christmas tree for this year. I would love a cowboy or beach themed one.. The cowboy is for the long suffering Ralphie. My second choice is #10 as I can always use more yard art.
Need to say we are in a tiny place so any types of scents over power us so no candles or anything like that PLEASE. And we are on restricted diets so food is out too.

purpbutfly / Cindy -- > I would rather be totally surprised. Let my buddy decide what she wants to send me. No candles though because I make candles myself. Would like to have a butterfly tree.

ridesredmule / Char -- > #5 and #9 and #10. I can't stand smelly candles. I'm not a candle lover. Can't even go into one of those perfume places. Lord help me around those cinnamon brooms that almost take my breathe away.

Robynznest -- > #2 and #6. I love snowmen. I am allergic to oranges and most citrus fruit. Even the smell of an orange makes me sick. Other than that I'm pretty easy. A snowman and loads of dark chocolate will pretty much make me a very happy camper.

rouxcrew / Joy -- > #6 and #9

taters55 / LK -- > No specifics, just what ever my buddy wants to send.

warriorswisdomkathy / Kathy -- > #10 (would adore windhimes, hint hint) #5, if possible a traditional (it's been 5 years since I've had a tree and most of my lights and ornaments were aquired by my daughter and family. Love various Santas and or #6. I didn't see anything about any elves, if my trade partner has one to spare that can dig and plant I would forever be grateful.

Staying to chat...

AmandaEsq / Amanda
rvnsbrk / Neener

This message was edited Nov 6, 2011 9:01 PM

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 2, 2011
6:15 PM

Post #8873848

O.K. Christmas is in the air.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 2, 2011
6:24 PM

Post #8873860

I am afraid to look outside cause I am afriad I will see Christmas in the air (snow) rofl.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

November 3, 2011
3:36 AM

Post #8874257

^_^

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 3, 2011
3:41 AM

Post #8874258

just came in to take over with daddy so jim could get some sleep i was up most the night also .
Doc came into the room & said he could not get to the tumor as big as daddy;s prostrate is & said that the tumor is a slow growing type so it might be another yr or two possible 3 yrs before anything becomes of it & to remove it now he would few better doing the surgery up in grand rapids where his own surgical staff is & he would be there if any bleeding occured .
we have opped not to put him through any unnessasary radical surgery at his age he is 98 & he has a better chance seeing that 100 mark without the surgery .

ok so we will get our names this weekend ??? looking forward to this one well guess i better get off here daddy will be ready to get up soon
back later i the day

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 3, 2011
3:42 AM

Post #8874259

see your another early bird miss carol :)))

jsxtiger

jsxtiger
(jax) Dundalk, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 3, 2011
4:09 AM

Post #8874276

nah, taters! thunk i jost sit this one out...under the table! yall have fun, now!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 3, 2011
4:38 AM

Post #8874295

Susie - sounds like a good idea. I didn't think they liked to do surgery once a person was into their 70's. I hope Daddy is not in any discomfort.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 3, 2011
7:38 AM

Post #8874515

Susie, don't work too hard today. Sending prayers for your Dad!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 3, 2011
11:12 AM

Post #8874828

doc says daddy is in better health them any of his 50 & 60 yr old patients. this is why he is ok with removing the tumor so that it won't grow but he could not get to it without special instruments that he did not have here & he would feel much better with his own staff .
this is why he did not go through with it here . witch is ok . with us daddy is in no pain with this .. but now will just stay with cathater
& Is doing well with it .
pastor is in with him now so i came out for a coffee break :) ya all have a great day also going well here today :)
susie

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 3, 2011
11:51 AM

Post #8874851

Bless you dear girl and your wonderful Daddy...

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 3, 2011
3:17 PM

Post #8875111

Susie, you are so lucky to have your Daddy. And we are lucky to have him in our lives every day. I do not have a father so I am kinda adopting him,, hope you do not mind!! It has been so much fun to read about him over the past 2 years, I always get a chuckle when you post about him when he is well and now that he is sick I worry for him too. So like I said he is family. Hope this makes sense as I so rarely do..lol

Been working all day on future swap buddy's stuff!! And Lk has been craking the whip on me for molds,, so back to work..

However I will share my pressie from my sweet Ralphie!!

Thumbnail by Mud_Elf

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 3, 2011
3:21 PM

Post #8875117

(((Susie))) sending hugs to you and your Dad.

GAgirl, are you in girlfriend?

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 3, 2011
3:40 PM

Post #8875133

He's pretty Cool most of the time But Lately now he's been wearing us out :) He just cannot sleep going to go give him one of my
special HOT TODDY Tonight To help him Sleep . elfie those little guys are very cute .
well jim wants me so gotta go back later "MAYBE " GnAll

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 3, 2011
4:04 PM

Post #8875165

Kris, those are so cute!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 3, 2011
5:47 PM

Post #8875324

Love the little Gnomes Kris. So cute.

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 3, 2011
5:53 PM

Post #8875341

Dang it's getting harder and harder to get on DG lately and I have high speed DSL.

Elfie I feel the same way. Susie your daddy is our daddy, too. You're a very special lady to take care of him and bless his heart, 98 years young. He might just try to out live you.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 3, 2011
5:57 PM

Post #8875352

Yes, mine too and I'm an old woman...
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

November 3, 2011
6:28 PM

Post #8875390

Hey Fruity,
If you mean the house...no...another holdup on the granite. Won't be in(granite) til end of next week...so we are another week behind. This is really getting old!!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 3, 2011
7:12 PM

Post #8875450

You have to be so tired of hold-ups before you finally get to move in. What I meant to ask was if you're joining us for our Christmas Swap? Sure do hope so :)

Anybody else out there lurking, come on and join us. Sign-up ends Saturday at Noon.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

November 4, 2011
3:28 AM

Post #8875813

Sorry Fruity...misunderstood.

I just can't right now...even though I would love too!! I just have too much going on right now. Still haven't had my GH moved yet. The guy was supposed to come today,but I haven't had time to move all the plants out of it and forgot I needed to have the electricity disconnected. Bah humbug! Anyway, he's coming next week (fingers crosssed). I am so afraid the weather is going to change before I get it moved. Supposed to be in the 80s most all week next week so if that will hold true, I 'll be ok. Thanks for thinking of me. Definately next time.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 4, 2011
3:38 AM

Post #8875815

GM All Just haven my coffee waiting for everyone to get up. Munchin on a donut sure wish i had not made them now for they make so many .& are like Potato chips cannot eat just one . well i hear jim moving around so you all have a great day I Hope to be able to go shopping this weekend.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 4, 2011
5:19 AM

Post #8875868

Morning Deejay,, Give Daddy a kiss for us all!

GaGirl.,, Sure wish you could join us as it is always more fun with you in a swap. I would come help ya move that problematic GH. But I would probably just move it way further west that you have plans for...heehee...

My hands be hurting today.. Might have worked them out a bit much yesterday.
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 4, 2011
5:59 AM

Post #8875924

Elfie I love your little elves. Gorgeous work.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 4, 2011
6:33 AM

Post #8875959

Elfie, I take TriFlex I get at GNC to help me move my hands. If I didn't I wouldn't be able to do anything. It is a oval tablet. Don't want to be without it or my Copper bracelets..

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 4, 2011
7:35 AM

Post #8876048

TriFlex,, humm will check.. Thanks for the info!!
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

November 4, 2011
7:46 AM

Post #8876069

LOL Elfie I have an 8 x 16 glass one also that needs to be moved, but it may have to stay behind. I will be sad if it does.
Heading to Athens to the GA game, supposed to be COLD. Have a great weekend!!

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 4, 2011
7:58 AM

Post #8876092

I wanted very badly to join this swap, then DH just a few minutes ago, burst my bubble.
He said, knowing me, I won't settle with just $20 worth and will go overboard. Then he reminded me that there are some commitments in Dec. to take care of.

It's a strange adjustment from being carefree on gifts once upon a time...

So.. forgive me.. but I'll be lurking.

This message was edited Nov 4, 2011 11:19 AM

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 4, 2011
7:59 AM

Post #8876093

Ohhhh,, I may have to try to talk Ralphie into coming to help move that to my,, oh I meant your house...lol
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 4, 2011
11:28 AM

Post #8876354

Leave a greenhouse behind, oh no way! They would be prying my bloody paws from the doors! LOL

Can't wait to get my name, so exciting.

I always go out the Friday after Thanksgiving, but now alot of stores are starting at midnight, good grief, that means I wouldn't get any sleep for 2 days... rofl. Someone else is going to have to cook Thanksgiving, so I can rest for the marathon... ;)

Well figured out we have a great craft show the 12th of Nov, then saw a sign there is another in Ks that same weekend, then a great one 19th of Nov, and last but not least there is one the Dec 3rd.

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 4, 2011
2:58 PM

Post #8876658

(((Jayebird)))

Just so our players know, LK and I have split the list of participants. Her name is on mine and my name is on hers. Secret Elves At Work, ya know. We are shooting to send names out Sunday afternoon around 5 o'clock.

LK, that's 5 PM my time an hour ahead of you after we 'Fall back' Saturday night...LOL Does that make sense?

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 4, 2011
4:18 PM

Post #8876756

Sure does. 4 PM my time.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 4, 2011
5:27 PM

Post #8876866

Poor Elfie don bin working her fingars to dA BONZS TODAY.. tIRED eLFIE.. NEED TO JOIN jAX UNSDER THE TABLE AN GUZZELE SUM bAILEYS,,,

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 5, 2011
8:43 AM

Post #8877562

Ya all gonna get drunk!!!☺ Then you can work that clay!!!!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 5, 2011
9:25 AM

Post #8877596

Waiting under the table to get my name,,,

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 5, 2011
11:31 AM

Post #8877703

One more day Kris! Then everyone will have names!

jsxtiger

jsxtiger
(jax) Dundalk, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 5, 2011
12:52 PM

Post #8877760

...come on lil elf! taters done says her gonna keep us supplid with bailey's!!!!!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 5, 2011
3:10 PM

Post #8877914

Look what I did today!!!

Thumbnail by Mud_Elf

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 5, 2011
3:43 PM

Post #8877943

aww that is adorable! is that coleus in the corners out front there? where did you find that gorgeous trunk? that fence is really neat, did you make that too?

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 5, 2011
3:58 PM

Post #8877962

Trunk $1.75 at flea market. fence is part of a "make it Christmas" crafts from hobby lobby,, stepping stones are from wall tile strip from home depot. Bench was a gift from ChooCoogal in our mini swap, and plants were from her too. Not Coleus, a tini sedum? Total cost under $5.00.. I be frugal...lol
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 5, 2011
4:09 PM

Post #8877978

Very Nifty Elfie!

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

November 5, 2011
4:34 PM

Post #8878004

She's a nifty thrifty, I do agree. ^_^

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 5, 2011
5:19 PM

Post #8878063

Beautiful!! Love it, Elfie.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 6, 2011
4:59 AM

Post #8878561

Elfie

That is adorable. You are so talented...

I used to do crafty things and I think that pretty much fell by the wayside. One thing I used to love to do was to press flowers and make pictures - I would enjoy getting back into that again...

purpbutfly

purpbutfly
(Cindy) Marysville, CA
(Zone 10a)

November 6, 2011
5:32 AM

Post #8878613

WHOO HOOO we get our names today!!!!!!!

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

November 6, 2011
5:49 AM

Post #8878635

Deejay, prayers for you and your Daddy! Glad you have a good doctor who cares about what is best for him.

Elfie, that is adorable! So very unique!

Got some things lined up for my buddy for this swap but gotta wait to get the name to make sure I get the special things she wants!

Wish you all a blessed day, julieanne

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 6, 2011
6:23 AM

Post #8878678

Thanks everyone. I am going to work on a Christmas themed one next. I bought the prettiest baby Norfolk Pines at Home Depot last week!!

Trying to stay out from under the table,, Jax has been a very bad girl keeping this mud elf drunk all weekend,,,lol

Thumbnail by Mud_Elf

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 6, 2011
10:34 AM

Post #8878954

Sign-ups have ended.

Just waiting for 5 o'clock to send out my end of our matches.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 6, 2011
10:35 AM

Post #8878956

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh...so exciting!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 6, 2011
11:10 AM

Post #8878974

By 5 o'clock,, I may be passed out under dat table...
ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 6, 2011
11:49 AM

Post #8879010

Getting a bucket of water ready to throw on Elfie, just in case..

Friends help friends, ya know ^_^

purpbutfly

purpbutfly
(Cindy) Marysville, CA
(Zone 10a)

November 6, 2011
1:07 PM

Post #8879081

Hi Ladies!!!
Been busy making candles. Got a pot of beans cooking now. Doug says I am making him hungry with beans and chocolate scented candles, lol ^_^

Thumbnail by purpbutfly

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 6, 2011
1:51 PM

Post #8879135

Looking good there Cindy anf yummy on the beans and chocolate.

This time change has got me all twisted around. I don't remember what clocks got changed and what didn't. Not even sure if the computer changed by itself. sheeeesh! I'm gonna have to get up out of my comfy chair with this nice warm heating pad and go check the clocks for the earliest set one. hope dh didn't change any of the same ones or I'm in real trouble. lol

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

November 6, 2011
2:29 PM

Post #8879177

Woo hoo, I have my buddy's name and the swap is ON. ^_^

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 6, 2011
2:31 PM

Post #8879180

Names have been sent out ladies. Start your shopping, craft making, and get ready to pack your boxes! ^_^

Please let me know if you did not get a name?
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 6, 2011
2:41 PM

Post #8879187

Ho Ho Ho! I got mine and have sent names to the Elves that were on my list too. Thank you, LK!

Looking good, Cindy. Wish I had smell-a-vision and a big bowl of your beans. Cornbread is already cooked here.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

November 6, 2011
2:49 PM

Post #8879203

LOL. You sound like Emeril Lagasse. :-D)))

I am thrilled with my name. Yes, indeed. Getting this box together will be mucho fun!!! ^_^
ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 6, 2011
2:52 PM

Post #8879205

Got my name... now to get a few more things together :) Love this swap!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 6, 2011
3:03 PM

Post #8879215

Got my name. Thanks,,,

Uh,, I think I missed something. Are we to send from at least two of the items up top? For some reason I have been thinking that we were picking from one item that our buddy wants.. Am I wrong?

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 6, 2011
3:23 PM

Post #8879239

Got my name, now the fun begins...I love being Santa's helper!!!

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 6, 2011
3:41 PM

Post #8879264

This is going to be sooo much fun!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 6, 2011
3:44 PM

Post #8879269

Everybody please see the second block above to find the person you're sending to and the choices, if any, that she has made.

Most all of us picked 2 items we would like to receive. It's totally up to the sender though to pick from their list OR senders are free to do your own thing.

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 6, 2011
5:06 PM

Post #8879386

Got my name! Now to get busy helping Santa!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 6, 2011
5:25 PM

Post #8879407

YeeeeeeHawwwwwww Charley got his name and is so excited..
Cris316
Port Norris, NJ
(Zone 7b)

November 6, 2011
5:41 PM

Post #8879420

Gosh I almost forgot about posting my likes & dislikes.
Would love to receive any of the item #'s 2, 6, 7 or 9 especially.
Allergic to bananas love vanilla scented items (candles, sachet, etc)
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 6, 2011
6:01 PM

Post #8879442

Cris, I'm so glad you're joining our Christmas party!

lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 6, 2011
6:45 PM

Post #8879530

got my name!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 8, 2011
6:04 AM

Post #8881301

Poor Elfie,, hands be hurting from all the work done yesterday,,, Gonna be a long day today playing with all my pretties!! I am having a lot of fun with this one!!!

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 8, 2011
6:16 AM

Post #8881314

Yeah, I am going to have alot of fun also, took a day or so for the light bulb to light but I have it figured out now...excited!

jsxtiger

jsxtiger
(jax) Dundalk, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 8, 2011
3:03 PM

Post #8881941

...i beez busy keeping lil elf outta trouble...wit the bailey's...under the table! did sumbodies call me???

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

November 8, 2011
3:16 PM

Post #8881953

Did yall know that Queen Anne's - the company that sells chocolate covered cherries- is now making chocolate covered blueberries? Wonder what they are like? Hmmmm?

love, julie
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 8, 2011
3:54 PM

Post #8882009

Making my list and checking it twice...

ewwww, can't stand Fruitcakes...lol...or Chocolate Covered Cherries. Surely their chocolate covered blueberries must taste better unless they still have that ooey gooey sweet icky filling. To each his own though.

What Christmas songs or hymns do you all enjoy listening to and why?

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 8, 2011
4:01 PM

Post #8882023

I like the big church Choirs for Christmas. Just love the sound.. Drat,, now I am going to want to hook up the Zune to listen to music tonight,,, Thanks Fruity...lol
On a side note,,, Elfie has been painting today,,, lots of Christmas spirit here on the pond!!

Thumbnail by Mud_Elf

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 8, 2011
4:33 PM

Post #8882093

Love the old Christmas songs, Bing Crosby, Elvis, all those and all the Christmas old movies, my fav has to be Chevy Chases Christmas, that is my family...rofl. I play all the old movies has I am getting out Christmas decorations, I have lots of music boxes and I love winding them up and letting them play.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 8, 2011
5:15 PM

Post #8882156

I like pretty much all the Christmas carols from all the different eras, but in the last couple of years I have really enjoyed listening to Pavarotti or the 3 Tenors - especially when they do things like 'O Holy Night' - that was my Mom's favorite and Ava Maria... Fruity - DH already thinks I am weird with some of the music I listen too - but now I'll be listening to them before Thanksgiving and he will really think I have lost it. Hmmm... perhaps I have lost it and I am the only one that doesn't realize it!

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2011
2:59 AM

Post #8882591

I don't think you've lost it, Carolyn. I enjoy Pavarotti, operatic style music, 3 Tenors, etc. very much. 'O Holy NIght' would have to be at the top of my favorites list. I like all the old Christmas hymns and most of the newer songs as well. Hard to choose beyond that one.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 9, 2011
4:31 AM

Post #8882637

I love any Christmas songs, but I love Bing Crosby and Harry Connick Jr. My favorite song is Little Drummer boy, as it states in the song, I have no gift for you other than my music... Just to back up my theory, Christmas does not have to be all about expensive gifts.

I love fruit cake, and chocolate covered cherries. I don't like blueberries.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 9, 2011
4:38 AM

Post #8882646

Carole

It is hard to choose - I was thinking about this and I was raised on Harry Belefonte's Christmas music when I was a child. I need to see if I can find that out on CD - there were different songs that you just don't hear now - 'A Star in the East' goes through my mind.

I also love Sachmo and Ella Fitzgerald. They must have had some Christmas music as well. I picked up a Christmas CD with the Rat Pack a couple of years ago and like that. I have always like Dean Martin...
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 9, 2011
4:40 AM

Post #8882649

Linda - I have never been a fruitcake fan either - but I love the big dates you get at Christmas and I stuff them with cream cheese and walnuts and roll them in sugar. I could eat those like potato chips!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 9, 2011
5:49 AM

Post #8882712

I be fruitcake fan!! Fruit of the vine cake that is,,,lol
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 9, 2011
5:54 AM

Post #8882716

Not a fan of fruitcake at all, or many of the dried fruits.
Looked like Christmas at my house last SNOW! I was shocked! Suppose to be 60 today...rofl.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2011
6:10 AM

Post #8882750

Love rum or bourbon soaked fruitcake but not overly wild about the others.

Carolyn, I remember that song about a star, a star ... shining in the East. It is a lovely song indeed. :)

LK, our Christmas is very modest with little or no gift-giving. ^_^

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 9, 2011
6:23 AM

Post #8882766

Certainly looks a lot like Christmas here..office is in a mall, just decorated a 50' tree, setting up Santa's sleigh and more trees, winter wonderland..guess santa will be arriving in a few weeks. Then my SIL who loves music has Christmas Carols playing..I'm sitting here doing Christmas quilts-decorative beading etc.

With going to Buffalo last weekend, going again this weekend and the shopping I've already got done I'm ready..lol

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2011
7:23 AM

Post #8882837

LOL. It pays to get done early.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 9, 2011
8:50 AM

Post #8882932

Wondering if anybody has heard from Di (janestone?). My understanding is she has relatives that have been ill and she is their caregiver... She has been in my thoughts a lot lately...

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2011
8:55 AM

Post #8882937

I have not in awhile, but I saw her picture in one the RU threads in the RU forum. Don't recall which one. It wasn't from too long ago, I don't think.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 9, 2011
9:06 AM

Post #8882954

Good news. If she is out and about that is good. I know how hard it is to take care of somebody that is ill and I don't wish that on anybody.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 9, 2011
1:26 PM

Post #8883280

We are not decorated for Christmas yet Betty, I wish our Thanksgiving was earlier, cause I would be done by now...LOL
I usually decorate the weekend of Thanksgiving, I start after shopping all day on Friday...I love the crowds, the bell ringers, family, friends, just about everything. I love giving gifts and have to admit I like getting them...rofl. Course there are those one or two people that are hard to buy for, but that is always fun challenge.

Last year I took a name off the Christmas tree in our home town, an elderly gentleman a little older than my Mom, we went shopping together for him, I think she had as much fun as I did...went to lunch, bought stuff, then found better stuff at better prices, so we took the first stuff back...rofl. That is pretty normal for me...I think I return about 1/2 of what I buy before Christmas. I either find something better or get a better price. I do have a stash of Christmas presents in my storage room of things I have bought and liked but then found something better that year. Good thing cause I am pulling stuff out of the Christmas stash this year to cut down on costs. I buy all year long also, especially if I know they collect things. One sister loves Betty Boop and the other Coca Cola and each of their kitchens are done up in their collections.

What do you collect besides plants...rofl?
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2011
4:45 PM

Post #8883636

Does anybody else enjoy listening to Mannheim Steamroller? There's nothing like their Christmas music rocking in the background while I'm cooking or decorating to put me in the spirit, Love the old classics too and a lot of hymns. And who doesn't love Elvis? Pavarotti and the 3 Tenors, OH MY GOSH, hearing them gives me goosebumps. So does Mariah Carey's rendition of O Holy Night. Course around here, you have to sprinkle in some good old-fashioned Bluegrass tunes too. One of hubby's favorites is "Christmas Time's A'Coming"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXfBYXElPII

You mean what do I collect besides dust bunnies? lol Off the top of my head, European glass paperweights, Italian pottery, interesting handwoven baskets and handmade glass beads, old kitchen gadgets, reference books and miniature books new or old, seashells, wine corks, Victorian postcards, Christmas ornaments new and vintage, Occupied Japan figures, rusty stuff like old sprinklers, metal chairs and racks for plant stands and garden ornaments, Wheat Pennies, flags I change with the Seasons, and wind chimes just to name a few...I'm sure there's more...lol I have a vintage Coca-Cola chest I dearly treasure that belonged to my parents and remember taking it on picnics and vacations when I was a little girl. Would love to start a Jim Shore and a Department 56 Snowbabies collection, one of these days...when we move to a bigger house. lol

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 9, 2011
5:00 PM

Post #8883658

Hmmm not really collect, perhaps rusted art for my garden but I am a gadget person for crafts/tools, lol. Always something I think I need!

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 10, 2011
7:11 AM

Post #8884473

We started talking about collections at work and found out I work with a gentleman that collects vintage credit cards, especially from defunct companies and he thought he was the only one who did that until the internet came along and he found out he is not alone…. , he brought them in and they are all in albums, a lot from one time stores here in the city…they were a riot to look at.

I don’t think I collect multiples of any one thing. Probably the closest I come is I have started this interest in glass flower frogs. Did you know they use to make them out of all kinds of shapes, frogs, statues, quail you name it…. Oh yeah I do have cookbooks, even tho I don’t cook very often and above my kitchen cabinets I have a shelf that runs around and I have a lot of advertising and vintage things like butter churn, coffee grinder that kind of stuff.

Oh I know I collect stray dogs...up to 6 and counting...rofl! No wonder I don't have any money!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 10, 2011
7:20 AM

Post #8884481

I have enough critters. DH would have a fit if I brought in another critter. But I love them all.
Nutcracers, dh and I have lots of nutcrackers. Teddybears. I've started back to Miniatures. Made some this morning. Just got them baked...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 14, 2011
11:13 AM

Post #8889947

Was wondering if anyone might be interested in joining us over in Cottage Gardening. There is a seed swap we are trying to get together and looking for more to join. Also same forum another discussion group on outdoor seeding in fall. Hope all are doing well, am still busy planting, weather good on the plains but the mts. have been getting dumped on and a bit breezy (115mph), whew, glad I live east of the mts. Kathy

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

November 14, 2011
8:21 PM

Post #8890665

I love "older" Christmas music- nothing like Nat King Cole's Christmas Song.
Taters, Little Drummer Boy is another of my fav's, as well as Faith Hill's O Holy Night. I don't like the newer stuff; seems like every singer puts out a Christmas album just to make money. I do not enjoy it, and don't waste my time listening to it or my money buying it. I have to admit the kid in me loves the chilldren's favorites, like Rudolph, Frosty, and I love the Peanuts Gang when Linus recites the Christams story from Luke and then they sing Hark the Herald Angels Sing.
Having trouble with my 13-year-old failing 3 classes at school. He lives with his dad and there is not much structure in the home. So, I am spending a lot of time trying to keep on top of him. Also, my mom was admitted to the hospital today- atrial fib and very high blood pressure 190/130. They kept her and her blood pressure was dropping and her heart rate had stabilized when I came home earlier.

love, julie
Cris316
Port Norris, NJ
(Zone 7b)

November 15, 2011
4:55 AM

Post #8890941

I'm a craft person so don't "collect" anything - HA. My house is sooo stuffed with every pattern,
attachment and gadget under the sun. Sewing & cooking stuff. I've made all kinds of Halloween
and school play costumes, bridesmaids gowns, curtains, stuffed toys you name it.
Then on the cooking side I do all that fancy lacework & flowers for cakes.
Each year I make cookie plates at Christmas for neighbors & friends with no repeats
unless requested. It usually takes me all year of testing out new recipes to figure out what I'm finally
going to include. This year I'm putting some candy in other than just fudge. Toffee brittle & candy ribbon
bows for the top of the tray.

I didn't discover you can actually freeze cookies until my daughter grad from college in '06. Talk
about crunch time !

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 15, 2011
5:42 AM

Post #8890989

Elfie collects,,humm,,, blue glass, fairies, hosta's, (wants to collect Sedums), and every gadget and supply known to man for any type of crafts,,,lol...

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 15, 2011
6:13 AM

Post #8891029

whe is the mail out date on this one ?????

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 15, 2011
6:28 AM

Post #8891039

Please Priority Mail your package with a Delivery Confirmation number no later than the week of December 5th.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 15, 2011
6:35 AM

Post #8891048

Thanks Taters!! Can you talk?? ( on the phone??)

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 15, 2011
7:35 AM

Post #8891115

yes!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 15, 2011
8:23 AM

Post #8891159

Cris, your cookies sound wonderful! I love those kinds of gifts...I use to quilt, knit, cross stitch, crochet, paint, stained glass, sew, you name it I think I tried it and loved them all. Still love them all, but somehow I don't have any time any more...should be saving me alot of money, but I don't know where that went either...LOL

I did figure out one thing I collect , when we went shopping I found a Santa in an Airplane! I do have quite a collection of those, guess I forgot because they are not out yet ;) Some years they are hard to find and some years I find too many..LOL. This santa when the propeller spins it lights up as it goes around it displays different messages, like HO HO HO, Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and of course Santa is singing and bobbing up and down. He is soooo cute. One year my sisters went together and got me the big blow up Santa in the airplane that goes outside, he is great! I put it up and it scared the dogs so bad, plus it is soooooo windy at my house I had took it down, I might try it again this year.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 15, 2011
12:47 PM

Post #8891480

I decided to purchase a few goodie plates for gifts when I was in Buffalo..going in a few weeks again, thinking of picking up more and doing some baking or finding a bakery..loved the poem and the spirit of giving..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

November 15, 2011
12:52 PM

Post #8891494

Very lovely. ^_^

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 15, 2011
12:57 PM

Post #8891500

How Pretty, You did these?

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 15, 2011
1:13 PM

Post #8891517

Love those plates Betty!
lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 16, 2011
4:12 AM

Post #8892324

Betty,my Christmas dinner dishes lol
is that pfaltzgraff winter berry pattern?

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 16, 2011
5:54 AM

Post #8892429

love that plate, Betty. I have my grandmas and great auunt effies plate collection, they had them on the walls.. now they are all wrapped up..

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 16, 2011
6:28 AM

Post #8892471

No bought them, will fill with goodies and pass on to DIL's and neighbors..
OMG can't believe just how quickly Christmas season is coming..my Christmas shopping is done, however the quilts I'm making was perhaps a bit more than I should have tackled..
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 16, 2011
10:48 AM

Post #8892831

Oh wish someone in my family made quilts, omg I would be soooo happy.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 16, 2011
11:13 AM

Post #8892879

Well if DIL's don't like them I can always send the 3 I'm doing on your way..lol
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 16, 2011
11:39 AM

Post #8892921

Betty I am sure they won't like them so bundle them up and just send them south! rofl... I currently only have 2 beds but will go out this weekend and buy another...rofl...
Once in a great while, someone in my family will make me somthing but it is pretty rare, I just cherish those gifts!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 16, 2011
12:18 PM

Post #8892979

SLIDE Over Happ Those Quits sound as if they just might be heavy enough to keep me warm in my new place :)) its 77* in here right now with no heater on & It is sunny 40* out side . my brother just came in from hunting & Said turn the heat off open some windows . told him to go out take his hunting duds off :) hehe

it is nice in here today but not sure what the wintery months are going to be like yet :) well off to get ready for BINGO With the girls soon .
susie

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 16, 2011
3:16 PM

Post #8893241

Love that brother while you got him. My brother used to aggravate me all the time. Makes me smile and happy for you. How's Daddy????
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 16, 2011
6:27 PM

Post #8893435

My Mom's plate collection she had hanging on the wall behind her stove is packed up too, Debra. But the quilts she made eons ago still keep me warm :)

What size bed do you have, Susie?

All you elves, come on over to our new room:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1230282/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
ZZ's - Star-Studded - 'Tomato Seed Round-Robin'. ZZTOPSOIL 335 Aug 8, 2007 11:54 PM
CLOSED: Any newbies wanna start a round robin? kaykay1010 134 Dec 14, 2010 6:31 PM
Spring Fever RR Crimson 146 Apr 13, 2007 12:08 PM
Houseplant Swap snboyken 146 Apr 30, 2007 12:59 PM
Yesterday's News Robin's Resurrection sign-up here Gourd 284 Jul 11, 2007 4:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America