Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Saving Seeds: Molded Galeux Seed

Communities > Forums > Saving Seeds
bookmark
Forum: Saving SeedsReplies: 2, Views: 14
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mraider3
Helena, MT

November 3, 2011
4:26 AM

Post #8874289

I got a bit hasty is saving seed from the Galeux pumpkin this year. I placed the saved seed in a jar before thoroughly dried and I noticed some mold growing on the seed. I removed the seed and place them back onto a dish to further dry. Most of the seed has some mold on their exterior. I have two questions: (1) Is the seed damaged beyond recovery; (2) can the mold be safely removed, or is it even necessary?

Garden_Sass
Central, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 6, 2011
3:29 AM

Post #8878486

I'm no expert on moldy seed however I have read lately about the use of hydrogen peroxide to decontaminate seeds. You might look into the ratio of HP to water used for that purpose. I have used 19 parts water to 1 part bleach to decontaminate Rex Begonia whole leaves before propagating them.
mraider3
Helena, MT

November 6, 2011
3:45 AM

Post #8878494

Good point busterharrell. I have used diluted hydrogen peroxide in germinating tomato seeds and it works well. All the seeds are now dry enough to return to their package and stored until next season, however most of them have dried black mold spots. I will soak the seeds overnight in a diluted solution of H202 before planting planting them. Thanks

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Saving Seeds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Beans Crossing ragamuffin 2 Dec 25, 2007 7:28 AM
Angelonia tiG 12 Nov 11, 2007 1:19 PM
'homemade' dessicant? patfrompa 4 Dec 16, 2010 7:09 PM
cant find cats whiskers seed berrygirl 16 Jan 7, 2008 4:34 PM
Mountain laurel seeds txjaks 3 Jul 8, 2008 5:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America