Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Fun Feature: Follow the Progress of our Gronomics Elevated Planters #7: This surprised me

Communities > Forums > Article: Fun Feature: Follow the Progress of our Gronomics Elevated Planters #7
bookmark
Forum: Article: Fun Feature: Follow the Progress of our Gronomics Elevated Planters #7Replies: 1, Views: 10
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jazzy1okc
Oklahoma City, OK

November 4, 2011
3:43 AM

Post #8875817

In the heat of the summer, even in-ground tomatoes and cucumbers have a tough time staying hydrated around here. But you managed to grow both tomatoes and cucumbers in these raised beds this summer so I'm very impressed! I thought that to withstand the heat both plants would need much more "root room". Did you use patio varieties of both plants?

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 4, 2011
5:40 AM

Post #8875885

Terry's were patio varieties (determinate) Mine was an indeterminate tomato, but it was a cherry tomato. I doubt that a full sized beefsteak would fare as well in the conditions. The planters are deep; the ones we planted the tomatoes in were 11" deep, so they had a good amount of root room. When I pulled the tomato out, the feeder roots were spider webbed all across the planter. The roots didn't infringe on any of the other plants though. I did have to water every day and water deeply.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Fun Feature: Follow the Progress of our Gronomics Elevated Planters #7 Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I have really enjoyed this series Cville_Gardener 2 Oct 29, 2011 1:34 PM
Strawberries in waste high boxes. CountryGardens 1 Oct 29, 2011 5:43 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America