Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Texas Gardeners Stay Busy Through Fall: THANKS!

Communities > Forums > Article: Texas Gardeners Stay Busy Through Fall
bookmark
Forum: Article: Texas Gardeners Stay Busy Through FallReplies: 2, Views: 22
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

November 4, 2011
10:16 AM

Post #8876280

Great and timely article for us Houstonians!

I'm underway, but, you've tipped me off that there's STILL time to plant LOTS of stuff before the 12/20 frost date!

Hugs!

Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

TexasTam
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 4, 2011
11:30 AM

Post #8876356

Thanks and you're welcome, Gymgirl! Not sure the Almanac's predictions are all that reliable, however; we got a pretty good frost here in DFW this morning, but I'm not sure if that qualifies as an official freeze. Regardless, we're not supposed to get quite that low until around 11.15, so it was early by anyone's standards.

Stay warm and happy gardening,
TexasTam

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

November 4, 2011
12:10 PM

Post #8876387

Tam,
Even if we dip into the 30s here, it's usually just overnight, and the next day gives us enough bright sunshine to warm up to the mid-40s or so. Perfect temps for my brassicas!

And, if it does threaten to be in the low 30s to high 20s for more than a couple nights in a row, I just throw sheets over my hoop. The plants stay nice and toasty overnight, and enjoy the next sunshiney day! Last year, we had 4 nights in a row of temps in the high 20s. When it goes that low, I water down everything before throwing the sheets over the hoops. Haven't lost anything to frost yet (except maybe one mustard green plant got mushy, as I recall...)

Hugs!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Texas Gardeners Stay Busy Through Fall Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great Article on Texas Gardening dfw_buffalogal 1 Nov 7, 2011 9:39 AM
Questions about DFW area tx_flower_child 2 Oct 8, 2012 9:54 AM
Hardiness Zone Map DesertRattess 1 Oct 12, 2012 11:10 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America