Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

What are you Making - Late Fall 2011?

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1225613/

Last thread was getting long and we still have over a month till Winter

Did this Drunkards Path by hand. Was gift for my cousin who is like an older Sister to me.

Thumbnail by Qwilter
Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Very nice. I wish I hadn't lost all my pictures when my computer quit. Hope my son was able to fix it. I'll know in a couple of weeks. I've been finishing up some embroidery so I could pack up all the thread and stabilizers. Made pretty good progress yesterday. Now to go through all the scraps and pick out just what I really want for the applique selection. The rest will go to the thrift shop. I don't want to be a hoarder when someone else will use it up. I know when I get to FL there will be bags waiting for me. I have been working on a shirt for our Thanksgiving family gathering, trying to remember back to where we spent it each year. I've been embroidering a patch for each year. I've started with the most recent and working my way backwards. Can't remember the first year although I do remember it was in Ky in the new house. This year we have two foreign exchange students joining us. Here's my shirt

Thumbnail by mittsy

Close up of left embroidery

Thumbnail by mittsy

close up of right embroidery

Overview, back.

Thumbnail by mittsy

Happy Thanksgiving embroidery.

Thumbnail by mittsy

2010 Pigeon Forge. TN

with picture

Thumbnail by mittsy

2009 KY

Thumbnail by mittsy

2008 Vero Beach

Thumbnail by mittsy

2007 Owensboro

Thumbnail by mittsy

2006 Port Orange, FL (Hannah's first Thanksgiving)

Thumbnail by mittsy

Sorry, close up of right embroidery. I must be doing something wrong as the pictures aren't always attaching.

Thumbnail by mittsy

2005 and Owensboro, KY will be embroidered on the front under the scarecrows. I won't attach 2011 until we arrive as I don't want to jinx it. I've also got a beading project going, the only thing I seem to be good at is dropping and losing the tiny glass beads. I think I drop about three out of every four. I sure can't thread a needle without a needle threader or my optics. I am happy to report the wax dip is really working. I think everyone with arthritis in their finger joints should try it.

(Barb) Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

How often do you dip your hands Mittsy? And where can you buy the wax?

(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI(Zone 5a)

I had on a wax dip of weeks ago. It felt awesome, good effect on pain for a couple days. My hands were soft too. Yup, I might need one of these. I don't know if I could manage to get it all going without help though. Took 2 techs to get it all set up.

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Nah Karen, you can find a way to leave it "set up" and then it won't be so time consuming etc.

(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

I have one of those wax machines! They are so nice. I get my wax at Sally's beauty supply. it is pricey, but it last a long time!

It wasn't that set up I was worrying about, what they did was the wax melted in a bag, in a ziplock bag. After that was on my hands, they put on big long mittens of double terry cloth with velcro straps on top to tighten. After I was done cooking, they removed the terry, then worked the other bags off to keep most of the mess in the bags. Then (and this was a delightful part) they got hot towels out of the steamer and cleaned the remainder of the wax off.
I'm sure you don't do it just like that at home but I do worry about making a mess (I'm extra good at that).

Awwwwwww I see.... I just never got the full Deluxe treatment so I never experienced such an elaborate process! LOL

I got a chuckle out of your expression "after I was done cooking"!!!

I wash my hands really good and scrub my nails (still trying to pull a few more weeds) before dipping. I dip three times to get a good thick coating. Then I put the plastic bag on and then the terry gloves. I secure the velcro the best I can. I then lay on the bed and watch tv for 20 minutes to a half an hour. I put the wax back into the melter. (always frugal). It peels off easily and completely. My sister can get the wax at the beauty supply and it comes in different scents. She likes the lavender. Says the vanilla makes her want to eat something baked like cake or cookies. Her DH always came in looking for her "hidden" baked goods. He could smell them. She stopped explaining it after a few times. I do it about 3 times a week. It really helps.

This message was edited Nov 5, 2011 1:14 PM

"hidden" stash huh??? hehehe, "dip HIM" that'll cure him!

Thanks for the tips Mittsy. I really think I "need" one of these.

I turned in the 8 tops I quilted and 2 I made today. And I did not breing any home to work on.
Now I can start working on some much neglected projects of mine.

Mittsy - I will find my sewing machine in the next 2 days and get your blocks made.

I had a wonderful day today. Norm took me to "A Quilter's Gathering" which is an annual quilt show here in NH. It is a big show with over 150 quilts to view and three big rooms full of vendors selling everything from fabric to machines to whole cabinet setups. I had so much fun and the best part was just as we were leaving. I met our Cherrific and her Mom!!!! I knew she would be there somewhere and all the time I wandered the show and the vendors, I looked for her. You might know it was just as we had to leave!! She spotted Norm (I had sent her a picture of us) and she knew I had to be around close by. Now that I use O2 all the time and use a walker when I'm on my feet a lot, I was easy to find!! We only had a moment tor two but we will make plans to do coffee soon. I was thrilled to meet her.
Here is one of the very many quilts that I just loved. Thought you all would love this one too!!!

Thumbnail by Quilter5bdsr

And there was one made by a quilt teacher from Cicero NY where our dear Mittsy spends her summers. Her name is Jo Coon. Do you know her Mittsy?

And this is the last one I'll post. It was made by 10 women; each one doing a panel...

Of course, I bought my share of do-dads too but I must say again, what a wonderful show. If you ever get a chance to go to one of these show, I suggest you do as they have incredible examples of our craft. I'm in total awe of some of these machine quilters and in total reverence for those who hand quilt... Just absolutely beautiful work.

Thanks for sharing the pictures. I so appreciate you all that take pictures and share with us your projects and sights.

(Marion) Havana, FL(Zone 8b)

Interesting information (and comments) about the wax treatments. Especially love the "cooking" part Karen. I might just have to check one out as it is really expensive here to have it done.

Mittsy, I love the embroidery you have done for your Thanksgiving shirt--fabulous idea!! Are you leaving for FL in a couple of weeks?

Great pictures from the quilt show Barb. Love the one the 10 ladies worked one--incredible.

That panel is AMAZING!!!!! So glad you had a great time.

You all know I was only being my silly self with the cooking thing. Actually the tech was extremely careful of the temperature.

Yep, and we were just enjoying your silliness, thought the "cooking" comment was very cute!

Lexington Park, MD

Barb Thank you so much for sharing the photos of the quilts. I just love the 10 panels. Amazing. To go to a quilt show is on my list of things to do next year.

Wonderful photos, Barb. I think Jo Coon was a member of the Plank Road Quilters. I used to belong to it but they do not meet during the summers so I dropped my membership. I do love my group in FL, Rocket Quilters, they just closed their membership at 125. (Because of the room we meet in at the library, Fire Marshall sets the limit). The 10 panels made by 10 different women is awesome.

(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

WOW, I agree, those quilts are awesome. Thanks for sharing and so glad to hear you got to meet Cherrific !

Cherrific is a sweetheart and you must ask her to share a picture of the Mondo bag she made. Fantastic job....

Longboat Key, FL(Zone 9b)

this years christmas runner. A little mod. i fell in love witht his grey fabric but...

Thumbnail by helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL(Zone 9b)

close up
back will be with the grey and in a quandry about the binding, the glitzy white? the stripe? grey? or perhaps going with pink?

This message was edited Nov 6, 2011 8:04 PM

Thumbnail by helenethequeen

Helene - you do such good work and that grey looks great.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.