Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Flowers: azaleas doing weird things

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 16, Views: 77
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 5, 2011
1:38 PM

Post #8877808

im hoping someone looking through the forum can help me figure something out. my azaleas put out one or two flowers in fall. this year there are more than usual. does anyone know why, and better yet, if it affects blooming in spring? ( theyre supposed to bloom in late winter/early spring here central florida 9b. and they are evergreen used alot here. i apologize for lack of pictures) thank you for your time.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 5, 2011
1:40 PM

Post #8877811

Mine, up here in zone 7, have done it and no harm comes to spring flowering. Rest easy.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 5, 2011
2:08 PM

Post #8877845

really? i know this spring i still got lots of blooms, but i was still left wondering if there wouldve been more if the didnt flower in fall. - thanks! are you in nassau or suffolk, im guessing on the south shore? because i know only long island and the city is zoned 7a, but ive never heard of southold. im from queens and i moved here recently.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

November 5, 2011
2:22 PM

Post #8877873

Hi Coastalzone, we had the same thing happen here UK, we had a very wet early spring which did the Rhododendrons / Azalea's good but just after flowering was over end April / May, the tale end of a Hurricane from USA struck here and the force stripped all the GREEN leaves /flowers etc from tree's and shrubs perennials etc, by end June, I noticed new buds break so I gave them all a feed (acidic Soil feed) and then the shrubs Azalea's Rhodo's etc began to flower again, not all over flower but gave a lovely colour to the shrubs, anyway, I feel sure they will be able to flower again next spring, they have worked so hard this year to recover premature leaf fall, second flowering etc, so the feed wont be wasted eh.
Don't know IF you have noticed but every few years my Rhododendrons don't flower as well as normal but the following year they just give a wonderful show, I always dead head all the dead flowers as these shrubs make the next years flowering buds as soon as the flowers are done, therefore I don't want the shrub to use up energy making seed heads as I wont want that.
Hope this helps you out a little and saves you panicking, just give them plenty water as they have outdone themselves. good luck, WeeNel.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 5, 2011
3:05 PM

Post #8877910

My husband and I were both born and raised in Queens County, coastalzonepush! We're on the North Fork, Suffolk County, just 14 miles from the end of the island, Orient Point. We were zone 7 long before Nassau got the designation.

This message was edited Nov 5, 2011 6:20 PM
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

November 5, 2011
3:08 PM

Post #8877912

There are several varieties of azaleas. Mine only blooms in Spring but there are the new ones that blooms all the time.

Belle
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

November 5, 2011
4:48 PM

Post #8878022

Mine are like yours Bellieg, flowering spring to early summer, mine are well established with some Rhododendrons and Azaleas 20/25 years old, so I am really knowledgeable in when they flower and any diseases they show signs of, have a friend who used to bread them before he got old and gave up.
This has been a really strange year climate wise everywhere, my brother / sister-in-law live in Canada and their area has had a really cold winter, staring earlier, slow spring and very hot summer, and I have got friends in other countries who have complained about the strange changes to the weather that in turn has affected there garden plants, trees and veg.
I watch the world weather forecasts and there really is a difference in the climate and no one now believes there is global warming when you look at how cold the winters have been last few years and how wet it has been in many areas who never experience such things, other areas complain of drought so whatever is going on, our plants are telling us things are a-changing eh. good luck. WeeNel.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 5, 2011
5:15 PM

Post #8878056

hello WeeNel, thanks for your input, now i know i can just let them do their thing, and wait to see the blooms in a few months. it is very true about the climate changing. its been quite a year here, extreme drought, tornado outbreak, severe flooding, hurricane irene, snowstorm in october...etc etc the list goes on, but we cant complain, we have to deal with it. thanks, again.
hello Belle, im not sure what azalea it is because they were already here when i moved. but i know its not one of those new varieties that bloom for months on end. thanks for your input as well.
pirl, really! what part were you from? im from south ozone park area. and thats interesting, because some maps zone the entire long island for 6, some do 7, and some are mixed. cornell has a pretty good one on their site.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 5, 2011
5:48 PM

Post #8878088

What a coincidence! I only moved from South Ozone Park when I was 5 and they took all the homes on the block for Idlewild - now JFK. We moved to Springfield Gardens and I went to high school in Jamaica.

Generally most of Suffolk, all of Nassau and the five boroughs are zone 6 but we're way out here surrounded by water and we even have a longer growing season than the South Fork/Hamptons.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 6, 2011
11:36 AM

Post #8878993

oh wow! well i have no idea that even happened - the airport part - i went to catholic school there and in kew gardens. - that snow was a surprise right! well my family say only an inch or so fell in the area and the rest was just melted and rain. -- you know its weird because they almost always zone for 6, but its never been below 5ish really. i always listen to the 7 rules since you can easily manipulate the urban heat thing. cannas and gladiolus over winter easily, right.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 6, 2011
1:29 PM

Post #8879108

My older sisters and I all went to Dominican Commercial, catholic all girls school in Jamaica.

We just got our first frost this morning, Nov. 6th, and that's the earliest it's been in over 20 years. For us zone 7 is ideal - not too hot and in winter it's the same cold everyone gets. We didn't get any snow from that sudden storm just before Halloween. The warm air around us seems to cancel snow for us most of the time. The hardy glad's remain outside but the one and only canna will have to be dug if I'm to save it.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 7, 2011
1:57 PM

Post #8880454

wow, first frost. i never really paid attention to that there, you know youre just so used to it. and you get a general idea of when bulbs should be planted and things like that.--- yeah i figured that the snow wouldnt do much out there, like you said with the surrounding ocean. i wish my part of queens was closer to the ocean, the little bay area doesnt do much in preventing the backbreaking blizzards. shoveling isnt much fun lol. people often forget that the new york that everyone knows is all island. definitely not tropical. strange enough i feel somewhat landlocked here, the beach is couple hours away on either side... --- i see, did you plant any spring bulbs this fall that you would like to share about? i miss them lol
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 7, 2011
2:34 PM

Post #8880514

Jamaica Bay was at the end of our block in South Ozone Park. Here we're on a peninsula so we have water to the south, east and west of us.

There are a lot of daffodils waiting to be planted but first I have shrubs and other plants to get in the ground. We're due for almost 70 degrees tomorrow!
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 7, 2011
3:17 PM

Post #8880579

oh i see. jamaica bay's smell is a bit too strong for my nose :p but i remember the nice salty smell when it rains and the wind comes off of the water. you know i like the sound of your location, i prefer being near the water. was hurricane irene bad for you guys? i know they evacuated rockaways.
wow, thats amazing weather! shrubs are great, nice anchors. daffodils are one of my favorites. i liked to plant them with hyacinths that bloom the same time.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 7, 2011
3:29 PM

Post #8880597

Hyacinths are heavenly but the deer like them so I have to protect them here.

Irene was hideous. We lost three trees, suffered a totally crushed Crape Myrtle that was 20 years old (but it is bouncing back) and lost so many branches on the Tardiva hydrangea. They evacuated most of the south shore - they got hit much worse than we did. At least we didn't have a drop of water in the basement.

Here's a small example of how Irene changed part of a garden here:

Thumbnail by pirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 7, 2011
7:32 PM

Post #8880893

oh yes, for a second i forgot about deer :p
aww! thats terrible, its such a beautiful garden...not so much with half of a tree on top. old crape myrtle too! i hope everything recovers/recovered with ease for you. and *phew! basements, always a concern. thats a great before and after picture though.
i noticed today that my azaleas are putting out even more blooms, sigh.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 8, 2011
4:56 AM

Post #8881218

Think of how many flowers are on a typical azalea in spring. You'll never notice that 50 bloomed in November.

The Crape is rebounding but the stump will get a makeover.

Thumbnail by pirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America