Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Sustainable Alternatives: solar power converter?

Communities > Forums > Sustainable Alternatives
bookmark
Forum: Sustainable AlternativesReplies: 12, Views: 116
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
SoFlaCommercial
West Palm Beach, FL
(Zone 10b)

November 5, 2011
6:41 PM

Post #8878147

howdy!

I see all these grow lights that people have to start seedlings. But I was thinking of getting a set of grow lights to do some onions and other stuff, since the day is shorter down here in florida for onions. But I know that the lights would probably make my light bill go bat-poop crazy, so I was thinking of using a solar panel, but need to get or make a converter to convert the power from a solar panel to AC/DC electricity.

any suggestions welcome.
MrPappyG
Glassboro, NJ

December 12, 2011
10:11 PM

Post #8927324

Go to The Mother Earth News website, there is a man who just developed his own converter there and it's very inexpensive, he makes his own panel's too...

SoFlaCommercial
West Palm Beach, FL
(Zone 10b)

December 13, 2011
6:11 AM

Post #8927526

awesome, mr pappy g - thanks!
SoFlaCommercial
West Palm Beach, FL
(Zone 10b)

December 13, 2011
8:52 PM

Post #8928767

mr pappy - where's that story? did a search on the site and only got a story from 2006, then 1997, then 1994.
jujubetexas
San Marcos, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 14, 2011
7:07 AM

Post #8929081

Inverters are pretty cheap for just one one solar panel. They will usually come with a package solar deal.
Here are sites with the cheapest solar panels. Look for an inexpensive inverter here.

http://www.ecobusinesslinks.com/solar_panels.htm
MrPappyG
Glassboro, NJ

December 15, 2011
11:31 PM

Post #8931633

SoFla... I read his article last month, and he said he might be getting shut down soon, I'll see if I can find it and send you the link.
SoFlaCommercial
West Palm Beach, FL
(Zone 10b)

December 16, 2011
5:11 AM

Post #8931727

Why would he get shut down? I didn't see an article on that site you have link for.

Is he in trouble for selling the panels or something?

I see that converters are cheap - but I didn't realize how expensive the solar panel is. :(
jujubetexas
San Marcos, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 16, 2011
7:55 AM

Post #8931896

Solar panels are at an extreme low price right now.
That link I sent you had them for 1.14 per watt. That is down 80 percent from seven years ago. You also get a fed discount on your taxes if that is still in effect. I received a 30 percent rebate on my costs when I bought mine a while back.
Remember that mono/polycrystaline panels usually will run at 80 percent capacity after 20 years.

Most people dont think twice about buying a new car every few years but dont realize that for less money, they could live energy free for the rest of their lives. The price of energy is only going up and the price of panels are only going down. It is a great time for solar energy.
MrPappyG
Glassboro, NJ

December 17, 2011
10:45 PM

Post #8933980

Unfortunately the People that BE, are finding way's to stop us from being self sustainable,...
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 4, 2012
5:12 AM

Post #9029133

I need some help with a homework assignment for a business class. I'm usually over on the recipe/gardening/Parking Lot area. And I've talked with one of the DG admin people to make sure it is okay to request help.

The homework assignment is a product interest survey that is on a made-up product. The product is a stand-alone structure that houses solar panels and also can be used for shade or rain shelter.

I have a number of gardeners but need some demographics in the solar/alternative energy area. The survey takes less than 5 minutes and the classroom assignment is due this week. If you would be interested in helping me out would you let me know?

Thanks

SusanKC
crittergarden
Pittsburgh, PA

March 19, 2012
6:38 AM

Post #9048424

Thanks for the link - I'll go check it out.
I want to build a chicken coop and the best place to put it will NOT work with an extension cord for the heat lamp...
Would really prefer to put heat under the floor tiles (dark, and with a good south-facing window) as heat lamps can cause fires...
I saw solar panels at Harbor Freight for about $150 but have NO idea how to hook em up.
Have recieved no replies to my query ay backyardchickens.com.
So thanks for the discussion here!
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 19, 2012
9:26 AM

Post #9048699

Here is a site that I've been on for solar information. You might find something there also. http://www.builditsolar.com/

You might find this interesting also. Chicken coup with living roof. http://kippenhouse.com/about.html
crittergarden
Pittsburgh, PA

March 19, 2012
2:28 PM

Post #9049108

Lots of reading to do there!

Yes, I've seen that green roofed coop. I'll probably green roof mine. I also saw some green roof birdhouses somewhere. Thinking of putting a few of those up, too. Pity I can't afford to do MY house!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sustainable Alternatives Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the sustainable alternatives discussion forum! dave 136 May 17, 2012 9:36 PM
Do you have green roofs in your city? frostweed 45 Apr 26, 2011 9:19 AM
First post! Home made organic fertilizer renwings 76 Mar 22, 2012 1:21 PM
Permaculture? darius 234 Mar 22, 2008 11:13 PM
Anyone use rainwater or grey water? spot8907 151 Jul 22, 2013 5:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America