Abused horses please tell me what you think?

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

My neighbors and I have been calling and Calling to get help for these horses. Does this look healthy?

Thumbnail by hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

Here is another view. He has not had two horses out of a pen in more than a year. He wasn't
feeding and watering one and it was tied up to a fence eating fox tails. They are all tied up and blocked from access and not easily viewed. I had to climb a ladder on top of my fence to take these. Kern County is doing nothing. I want to see if these look bad to horse people before I try sending pictures to the county.

This message was edited Nov 5, 2011 8:57 PM

Thumbnail by hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

Some are worse than others. Non can move around but this one that is in a small area and one was boney and tied to the outside fence on a dog length lead. He used to be fed by us neighbors and we watered him in the summer because he kept him on a lot with no water running, and his buckets would always be gone in the heat. We can't go on his property to feed them anymore. He decided to punish the horses with lack of freedom to roam because they were too easy to view.

Thumbnail by hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

The one on the fence has no shelter at all and the dapple grey one eats the wood on the structure. My neighbors saw it.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Yes and no. First, being in a stall doesn't mean abuse. Chewing wood could be cribbing, or just a naughty habit. The bay, from the pictures, doesn't look horrible. The grey may be a breed with high withers.. again hard to tell. I see some ribs on the grey. Maybe my phone is showing the pictures poorly.

Who are you "calling and calling"? Humane society? Animal control? Or just the local cops?

Richmond, TX

I agree that you would need better pictures to prove anything. Go ahead and report them to everyone including the ones A.Song suggested plus the SPCA and any equine rescue group in your area for advice.

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

We called all of the above. The department of Human and social services is in charge of the investigation but I don't know what happened. When the one horse was on the other property eating fox tails and without water in the sun all summer, they finally came out to see a couple of times. The last time when it was tied outside the property they said they were coming to take it with a trailer. We did not see him for a month and then realized he was tied up on his property, hidden. He did finally buy bales for them. He had none, so we all fed them in the neighborhood. They looked skinny and were all ribby. The teeth need to be floated because they can barely chew what you give them or even bite the food without dropping it. I had to chew some of the food for the one.

I know you are horse people and it is a different mind set when you are raised with livestock and such. No shelter in our harsh windy, 13-25 degree nights seems hard. Especially when you can't move to warm up. To be confined 24/7 and never move. Seems cruel to me, though it may not be illegal.

I can't get close enough to the other horses to take pictures. The dapple grey and one two of the others used to be very ribby and limp, but they do have water it seems now and I was seeing hay. Though he has blocked where he keeps it from view now. So who knows.

The horses ribs are showing it is not the picture. It's hip bones used to show but it does seem thicker there now.

Thanks for your input guys.

Richmond, TX

Well it sounds as if their care is improving. It would be good if you could check up on them periodically to see if it continues. It is always difficult to get cruelty/neglect situations corrected.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

If they have hay and water, and hips/ribs aren't sticking out, no, it's not abuse.

I know perfectly happy horses who don't freeze or die in northern WA, without blankets, and only a north wall shelter for windblock. I know some locally who don't have more than trees for shelter in the summer. They aren't abused, either. I also know an older horse who is missing some back teeth, and has a hekuva time chewing some hay and grain. He has had his teeth floated, but can't grow back what's not there. He is, however, not abused either, just had a rough previous life.

Standard of care for a horse is a personal thing. Some people love stalls. Some people hate them. Ask ten people what to build a fence out of, you will get ten different answers. Feed is almost worse. Horse people are our own breed. To each his own.

Unless they are totally without water, and are ribby/hips out, there really isn't much you can fuss about.

Sorry ..

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

Nothing to apologize about. However in the summer there were no trees or shade and no water in August heat. I know because my neighbor and I used to walk over with water and fill the one horses water. One time after I filled his bucket, an hour and a half later the water was gone again. Well, that is what I wanted to know. I won't be guilty of not asking those who know horses and blow it off unless I was sure. I can't see anymore so I can't really know a lot. I will watch though.

Thanks,

Dawn

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images