Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Seed Trading: CLOSED: DJ'S SEED ROBIN'S IN FLIGHT PT 3

Communities > Forums > Seed Trading
bookmark
Forum: Seed TradingReplies: 415, Views: 2,799
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 7, 2011
10:16 AM

Post #8880186

WE CAME FROM HERE :2011 FALL SEED SWAP PT 1
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1210221/#top

WE CAME FROM HERE :2011 FALL SEED SWAP PT 2
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1226307/#new

Well Our Robin is getting ready to fly within the Next few weeks so as promised the "FLIGHT PLAN IS" As Followed .
all I Ask is that if you see that you are going to be gone within that week that it is to land to please
POST & LET US KNOW We can reroute then send back to you.

ROBIN WEST ROUND 1

----LEFT THE NEST-------- NOV 7TH
-------------------------------------------------LANDED -------------TAKE OFF
# 1 NF293--------NANCY--------------------------NOV 9 TH -----------NOV 14TH
# 2 ORDAIRYGIRL------TESSA---------------NOV 16 TH-----------NOV 17TH
# 3 MINNESSIPPI---------STEPHANIE------NOV 21 ST---------NOV 22 TH
# 4 MELLEN1954-----MARY ELLEN-------NOV 25 TH-----------NOV 28 TH
# 5 MOMCAT-----DEB -----------------------NOV 30 TH--------DEC 3 RD
# 6 DIAMOND9192001-------ANITA------ DEC 8TH --------DEC 10 TH
------------------------------------------
SECOND TIME AROUND WEST TO EAST

# 7 IGROWINPA------- LINDA---------DEC 12TH------DEC 14TH
# 8 CAROLYN22----CAROLYN-------DEC 17TH------DEC 19TH
# 9 GARDENSEEDER-----SUSAN------DEC 22-----DEC 27 TH
#10 CRIS316--------CRIS--------DEC 29 TH-------JAN 4 TH
# 11 WIND--------DIANA-----JAN 6 TH-------JAN 10 TH
# 12PFG---------PAM--------
# 13 BLUESPIRAL--------KAREN
# 1 BIGTROT---------DONNA-----
# 13 AMANDAESQ------AMANDA-----
# 14 ANSONFAN--------GEORGE------
# 15 MRSSPEEDSGARDEN------SHIRLEY-----
# 16 POISONDARTFROG-----ALANA-----
# 17 DEEJAY9-----SUSIE------
---------------------------------------------------------------

ROBIN EAST --------------NOV 7 TH
---------------------------------------LANDED----------TAKE OFF
# 1 POISONDARTFROG----------NOV 9TH---- NOV 12 TH
# 2 MECHELLET--------------NOV 14 TH-------NOV 25 TH
# 3 MRSSPEEDSGARDEN---NOV 28 TH---NOV 30TH
# 4 ANSONFAN------------------DEC 1ST-----DEC 5 TH
# 5 AMANDAESQ------------DEC 8TH ------DEC 12 TH
# 6 BIGTROT-------------DEC 14TH --------DEC 15 TH
# 7 BLUESPIRAL-------DEC 20 TH -----DEC 21 ST
# 8 WIND-------------------DEC 23---------DEC 30 TH
# 9 -- PFG-------------JAN 4 TH--------JAN 5 TH
# 10 GARDENSEEDER------JAN 7 TH--------JAN 9 TH
# 11 CAROLYN22
# 12 CRIS307
# 13 IGROWINPA
-----------------------------------------
SECOUND TIME AROUND EAST TO WEST

# 14 DIAMOND9192001
# 15 MOMCAT
# 16 MELLEN1954
# 17 MINNESSIPPI
# 18 ORDAIRYGIRL
# 19 NF2932
# 20 DEEJAY9

**************GAME 3 FLIGHT HOME GUESSES************

. ONE Who Comes closes WITHOUT Passing the LANDING DATE Will WIN .

NF2932---------------DEC 29th.
MONKEYMOMR----------------JAN 15 TH
MRSSPEEDSGARDEN ------JAN 25 TH
BIGTROT --------FEB 13 th
MOMCAT--------FEB 14 TH
POISONDARTFROG------FEB 17 TH
ANSONFAN------FEB 6 TH
PFG----------------------FEB 24 TH
MELLEN----------MAR 18 TH
CAROLYN-------MAR 2ND
GARDENSEEDER63-----MAR 6 TH
CRIS316---------MAR 20 TH
MINNESSIPPI---------MAR 21

This message was edited Dec 14, 2011 7:58 AM

This message was edited Dec 14, 2011 2:58 PM

This message was edited Dec 14, 2011 7:42 PM

This message was edited Dec 17, 2011 3:19 PM

This message was edited Dec 22, 2011 8:25 AM

This message was edited Dec 22, 2011 7:58 PM

This message was edited Dec 27, 2011 12:10 PM

This message was edited Dec 27, 2011 12:46 PM

This message was edited Dec 28, 2011 7:56 AM

This message was edited Dec 30, 2011 9:49 PM

This message was edited Jan 11, 2012 10:20 AM

This message was edited Jan 12, 2012 8:52 AM

Thumbnail by deejay9
Click the image for an enlarged view.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

November 7, 2011
2:40 PM

Post #8880526

>> Does anyone have a trick for printing labels?

Three methods - see which you like best. I used the "table" method while I was doing this more often.

Now, I just print addresses onto white paper and use a glue stick plus Scotch tape or mailing tape to glue them down..

Always start with narrow page margins, like 0.5", to waste fewer labels. You might need to tweak the top margin to make the first row of labels "fit".

Word has a feature that is supposed to be "easy to use". That was the first thing I gave up on!
"Tools | Letters and Mailings | Envelopes and Labels | Labels | Options |
select Avery or other company | select your size of label "
Then good luck - I've never actually done it this way myself.

You could set up as many "columns" as there are columns of lables on one sheet.
Hopefully you can tweak your left margin and column widths to match the labels left-and-right closely enough.

Tweak the font size until 5-6 lines are just as tall as one row of labels. (12-14 point font?)
Then type on only 3 of the lines, allowing 1-2 blank lines between each label.

If it doesn't come out even, make the 3 printable lines whatever size is easy to read (12-14 points)
and then make the blank lines as wide or narrow as necessary to give yourself enough white space between rows.

"Format | Columns | Three"

Type in address text for one full row and one full column.

Set your Zoom to 100%, and hold the labels in front of the screen to see where the ink will fall.
"View | Zoom | Percent | 100 "
"View | Print Layout"

(Click on the page break until it shows as a real gap between pages, not run-on from page to page. Now you see the whole page as it will print, with margins. "Print Preview" may give you the same view.)

In order not to waste sheets of labels while tweaking the lines and columns to the right size, once I'm close,
I print the whole thing onto plain white paper, and then hold that up against the sheet of lables to see how close I got.

Indeed, you can print all the address text onto plain white paper, and then just use a Xerox machine to copy the addresses onto the page of labels. Kinkos would probably help at that stage. I had to do that becuase a sheeet of labels wouldn;t fit through the printer I had best access to.

"TABLES" are what I used to do until I got lazy and bought a glue stick and 2" clear tape.
But if you don't already fiddle with Tables, it's not worth learning it.

I make a "Table" in Word with the exact right spacing so that each cell in the table fits one label.
It's smart to allow a big margin between labels, so if you're off, the printed area still falls inside the label.
This example is for three columns of labels, 1.5" high

"Table | Insert | Table | 3 columns | 12 rows | Fixed Cokumn Width 3 inches"

(click anywhere inside the table)
"Table | Select | Table |"
(right-click inside the highlighted table)
"Table Properties | Row | Specify height | Exactly | 1.5 inches"

"Table Properties | Column | Preferred Width | 2.5 inches"

You can force each cell to have its own big margin if you want:
"Table Properties | Table | Options | set margins"
UNcheck "automatically resize to fit contents"
UNcheck "allow spacing between cells"
under "Table Properties | Table", UNcheck Preferred width" - that might make it harder to adjust column width.

I use the white-paper-and-glue-stick-and-tape method now.

Corey

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 7, 2011
8:37 PM

Post #8880976

Corey - My "trick" for making labels is so stupid it hurts. First I start by buying a box of Avery #8160 labels. They are 1" X 2 5/8" size (30 labels per sheeet) 75 sheets to a box.

Then go to your Microsoft Word Processor, enter the Tools, down to Labels, then Label settings, enter the label setting for Avery 8160 and the format is already set up on the screen for you. I did have to premake a few different ones for my Save file to get the line format and font size just right. Once you type in the information you want it's easy to cut and paste or copy the text into other boxes, takes just a little time and patience to get it right.

I use mine to label everything from seed packets to addressing 100's of Christmas cards at a time. I can crank out my list in seconds. The Avery sticky labels are the absolute best.

Al

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

November 8, 2011
10:24 AM

Post #8881577

I've seen your tidy labels on tomato-seed packets since my first seed trade here in DG.

>> Then go to your Microsoft Word Processor, enter the Tools, down to Labels, then Label settings,

That sounds like this one, only easier and simpler:
"Tools | Letters and Mailings | Envelopes and Labels | Labels | Options |
select Avery or other company | select your size of label "

My guess is that you have an older version of MS Word than I do - they only make things MORE complicated and harder to use. Mine is 2003.

I did try to use that feature once, then gave up.

I use "tables" a lot to make double-sided labels for seed packets (plain paper, no sticky side). Therefore it was natural for me to tweak one table to fit the size of labels that work was throwing a bunch of away (is that gramatical?)

I agree: once the template is ready, copy-paste takes seconds. I find I like to tweak each address to make the print as large as practical, and often change a state name to an abbreviation, just so I can make the last line bigger.

However, the printer I have free access to won't feed labels, they seem too thick for it. So I have to print a plain-paper version, then use the "Mahogany Row" Zerox to transfer ink onto the sheet of labels. Too much work: so now I use a glue stick plus tape instead.

Still, anything is better than handwritten. I can;t read it, let alone postal clerks or scanners.

Corey

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

November 8, 2011
10:50 AM

Post #8881597

Wow! I've unleashed a torrent! I ended up using the Avery method. In Word>Tools>Labels, I saved an un-filled-out page as a template. Then from the saved page I can fill in each label separately, copying and pasting for as many multiples as I want.

Thanks for all the input!

Pam

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

November 8, 2011
12:06 PM

Post #8881696

Great! Maybe some day I'll try that "Tools | Labels" method again. It might be easier than it seemed.

If I print one page with a lot of addresses, I always save that doc somewhere (or copy-paste that page into a saved doc). Then, when i try to remember who I sent something to, or what their adress was, I often have a copy somewhere.

poisondartfrog

poisondartfrog
Barbourville, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2011
2:37 PM

Post #8883363

It's he-e-e-re. I will report back when I have had time to open it. I would like to get it back out tomorrow but I will be working from dawn 'til dark so it will probably be Friday or Saturday.
It is raining and temps are falling into the 50's tonight so I will treat myself to a lovely Cappucino and a leisurely perusal of the box later in the evening.
Alana

NF2932

NF2932
Winnetka, CA

November 9, 2011
7:29 PM

Post #8883906

Hi Susie... the robin has landed in Winnetka, California. Looking forward to the weekend with the seeds... I'll post again on Monday when I send it back out and make sure I send you the confirmation number... thanks for all the instructions ... they will be most helpful. Have a great evening everyone!! -:) Nancy

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 9, 2011
7:30 PM

Post #8883909

hope you find lots of goodies :))

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 9, 2011
7:39 PM

Post #8883932

NANCY THAT WAS QUICK I DIDN'T THINK YOU WOULD HAVE IT TILL THURSDAY.

WHEN ROBINS LAND ON "WEDNSDAYS " WE TRY TO GET THEM BACK IN FLIGHT BY FRIDAY OR SATURDAY
BUT IF THE ROBINS LAND ON A THRUSDAY TO CAN KEEP THEM TILL MONDAY .

IF FOR ANY REASON SOMEONE CANNOT GET IT BACK IN FLIGHT RIGHT AWAY PLEASE LET US KNOW .
HAVE FUN & GN ALL

poisondartfrog

poisondartfrog
Barbourville, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 10, 2011
2:34 AM

Post #8884261

The kitchen towel Susie sent said "simplify". That's perfect. I have been working toward that for a couple of years now. My family thinks I have gone far enough, but I've found that less really is more-more time, more freedom, more space.
There are some very nice seeds in here. I found a couple of commercial packs that I want a few seeds from so I am going to open them and put the opened pack in a little baggie to keep it together
I'm not sure if you meant to put in any seed envelopes or baggies, Susie, but I did not see any so I will add a few just in case someone needs them.
Time to get on the road but I will post and send you the DC when I get it back in the mail tomorrow or Saturday.
Alana.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 10, 2011
4:18 PM

Post #8885185

Ty ALANA I'm Sorry thought I had put the zip;locks in for everyone to use so sorry guess i was in to big of a hurry to get them mailed . Hope you enjoy the towel did you take a card ??? dose not matter witch one just hold onto it till end of the robin .

MECHELLE & ORDAIRYGIRL Are Next will you check in please to let us know your ready for the landings :))))

ALSO If you would like a chance you WIN A Nice Give at the end of the robin take a wild GUESS AS TO WHEN THE ROBINS WILL LAND BACK HERE AT MY PLACE > all guess must be in by NOV 30th .

If your watching us for the fun of it Please feel feel to take a Guess . REMEMBER NOT TO COUNT SUNDAYS Or HOLIDAYS .. ONE Who Comes closes WITHOUT Passing the LANDING DATE Will WIN .

well good night all
susie

poisondartfrog

poisondartfrog
Barbourville, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 10, 2011
4:51 PM

Post #8885228

Susie, maybe you put envelopes in the same Robin twice. (that's something I would do,easily)
At any rate, the box is ready to go and I was planning to take it to the PO in the morning but I was just reminded that tomorrow is Veteran's day so there will be no mail.
I will get it out on Saturday, for sure.
bigtrot
Upper Marlboro, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 10, 2011
6:57 PM

Post #8885396

January 23rd is the date that the Robins return to Susie.
mellen1954
New Providence, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 11, 2011
7:17 AM

Post #8885804

My guess:

March 1

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 11, 2011
7:25 AM

Post #8885814

BIGTROT --------JAN 23rd
MELLEN----------MAR 1

Just waiting for the pies to get done last load of wash is about done then i can go play in my house in the dirt with a few seeds :)
ya all have a great day .
susie
ansonfan
Polkton, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 11, 2011
3:02 PM

Post #8886321

My guess is February 5th.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 11, 2011
6:11 PM

Post #8886517

GEORGE THE 5TH OF FEB IS ON A SUNDAY Ooops sorry for caps mail can not be delivered on sundays or Holidays so you must choose a weekday that the mail will be delivered :) try again please :)
have a great weekend
susie

poisondartfrog

poisondartfrog
Barbourville, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 12, 2011
4:10 AM

Post #8886747

I will guess 2/17.
I am not working today and will be taking the seed box to the PO as soon as it opens this morning. Susie, I will email you the DC number later today.
Have a good weekend,
Alana
ordairygirl
Nyssa, OR
(Zone 6a)

November 12, 2011
4:53 AM

Post #8886758

Been out of town this week. Traveled about 3 hours away to do "real" parent teacher conferences for my virtual online students. But, I'm home now and ready for the robin to head my way. Looking forward to adding the seeds I've collected and exchanging for varieties to try. Looks like Nancy in California is planning on sending it early next week.
Tessa

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 12, 2011
3:45 PM

Post #8887502

TESSA GOOD TO HAVE YOU BACK YES IT SHOULD TAKE FLIGHT ABOUT monday SO IF ALL GOES RIGHT YOU SHOULD HAVE THE ROBIN ABOUT WEDS OR THURSDAY .

MECHEELE l You should have the robin on Monday .
Sure had a HOUSE Full today Everyone is gone once again so nice & Quiet here tonight & SO OFF To Enjoy it :)
G N All
ansonfan
Polkton, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 13, 2011
2:29 AM

Post #8888043

Sorry about the date goof- please change to the February 6th. Thanks
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

November 13, 2011
3:21 PM

Post #8888680

I'll pick my birthday, 2/24. Probably too late, but you never know...

Pam

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 13, 2011
4:53 PM

Post #8888862

EVENING ALL just sitting here with daddy waiting for him to say he wants to go to bed then i can relax for the night ;) I bought me a new 2012 calendar & as soon as I go out to my place I will write these guesses in my book Ca hardly way to see who is going to be the winner.
well daddy is head back to his bedroom so you all have a great evenig will be back in the morning .
susie

BIGTROT --------JAN 23rd
MELLEN----------MAR 1
ANSONFAN------FEB 6 TH
POISONDARTFROG------FEB 1 TH
gardenseeder63
Concord, NH

November 14, 2011
4:31 AM

Post #8889428

march 6th
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 14, 2011
4:34 AM

Post #8889433

I'll pick DH's birthday - March 2nd.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 14, 2011
4:56 AM

Post #8889455

GM All you early birds :) WOKE VERY STILL & SORE AS IF MAC TRUCK HIT ME :( but will work out the kinks then I Want to start a few seeds not sure what yet just to give color for the winter months will let you know as they grow .
let us know what your going to grow .
back later today .

BIGTROT --------JAN 23 RD
ANSONFAN------FEB 6 TH
MELLEN----------MAR 1 ST
CAROLYN-------MAR 2ND

This message was edited Nov 14, 2011 10:35 AM

poisondartfrog

poisondartfrog
Barbourville, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 14, 2011
5:22 AM

Post #8889485

Susie,
My guess was 2/17, not 2/1.

I'm hoping Mechelle gets the box today. Sometimes those Post Office predictions are a little optimistic.

Mechelle,
I have lost my debit card. The last time I saw it was near the box as I was preparing it, so I could have conceivably knocked it in there. If you find it, would you let me know?
There is no security danger at this point-I've already contacted the bank, but I sure would like to know what happened to it.

Thanks, Alana

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 14, 2011
7:40 AM

Post #8889666

Gottcha alana thank you for the correction :)
One day i gave my brother my card to go to town & Buy Our Lumber we needed He came home could not find my card he back tracted all his steps nothing so i went to my bank reported it cost me $5. to replace it then about 3-4 days later he got into his wallet & Found my card . so learned my lesson do not take card out of my wallet :) till i have to use it .

well coffee is gone so off to put up a few cuttings . ya all have a great day .

susie

NF2932

NF2932
Winnetka, CA

November 14, 2011
11:56 AM

Post #8890001

Hi Susie (and Tessa) ... the robin has taken flight again. I went to the post office during my lunch (literally just got back) and will d-mail you the confirmation number. I followed your very helpful directions. :) Nancy

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 14, 2011
1:17 PM

Post #8890125

TY hope you enjoyed playing :)

NF2932

NF2932
Winnetka, CA

November 14, 2011
1:59 PM

Post #8890196

Thank you... I'm having a great time with this robin! Nancy

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 14, 2011
5:14 PM

Post #8890438

good to hear Nancy also would you like to take a guess asa to when the robins will return home no matter witch one lads 1st as long as your guess is the closest . you will win a gift .
so get your guesses in just dont count sundays or holidays

NF2932

NF2932
Winnetka, CA

November 15, 2011
8:57 AM

Post #8891192

Susie... I'll guess December 29th. Nancy

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 15, 2011
9:45 AM

Post #8891250

I rec'd a note from mechelle the robin landed yesterday , she said the robin will fly out friday or sat but i have ask her to get it out by wed or thursday . the robin is allowed to spend 3 days at each stop. if there is a ILLNESS Or BAD WEATHER OR A HOLIDAY Then you are allowed a couple extra days . this is the way we have always run the robin so please if your going to be away when the robin is do to you let us pass you till you get back then you are welcome to have it sent back to you .but let me know .
well off to get my eyes checked forgive the typo's cannot see well today .
susie

gottcha nancy

NF2932---December 29th.
ANSONFAN------FEB 6 TH
MELLEN----------MAR 1 ST
CAROLYN-------MAR 2ND
ordairygirl
Nyssa, OR
(Zone 6a)

November 16, 2011
1:20 PM

Post #8893069

Robin has landed in Eastern Oregon. Haven't had a chance to open it yet, but do plan on going through it tonight and having it shipped back out tomorrow afternoon. Its like early Christmas!

Tessa

NF2932

NF2932
Winnetka, CA

November 16, 2011
2:19 PM

Post #8893143

Tessa... glad to hear that it arrived safely! Nancy

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

November 16, 2011
2:50 PM

Post #8893196

I thought I felt a Movement in the Force.

Corey
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 16, 2011
4:54 PM

Post #8893337

I say 3/21...
mrsspeedsgarden
Franklin, NC
(Zone 6b)

November 16, 2011
7:32 PM

Post #8893511

Yeah the robin should be heading my way shortly.
My Grandson had to decorate or color a turkey as a school project. His Mom called me today and was worried about what they could do with the turkey. I suggested she glue seeds on it and gave her all different colors and shapes of seeds. It turned out great and I hope he wins. We have a craft store here that makes flowers out of seeds and they are gorgeous.

Shirley

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 16, 2011
8:08 PM

Post #8893560

Shirley : I Bet that would be neat wish she could get a picture of that :)turkey :)
GOTTCHA MINNIE :)
TY TESSA FOR LETTING US KNOW .

SHIRLEY I HAVE NOT HEARD BACK FROM MECHELLE YET SO I DO NOT KNOW IF IT WENT OUT TODAY OR NOT . WILL LET YOU KNOW IF I HEAR BACK.

NF2932---December 29th.
ANSONFAN------FEB 6 TH
MELLEN----------MAR 1 ST
CAROLYN-------MAR 2ND
MINNESIPPI ---------------MAR 21st

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2011
4:43 PM

Post #8894713

I HAVE ADDED A COUPLE OF NEW MEMBERS FOR ON THE EAST ROBIN THEY ARE WIND & BLUESPIRAL
SO i hAVE TO ASK AMANDA & CRIS IF YOU CAN PLEASE WATCH YOUR DMAIL FOR I WILL BE SENDING YOU THEIR ADDRESS SO YOU CAN SEND THE ROBIN TO THEM HOPE YOU WON'T MIND.

SO IF ANYONE WOULD LIKE TO TAKE A NEW GUESS AT THE ROBIN YOUR WELCOME TO DO SO .

HAVE A GREAT EVENING EVERYONE .
bigtrot
Upper Marlboro, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 18, 2011
4:04 AM

Post #8895234

I'll go with Feb 13 with 2 new members...more fun!!
ordairygirl
Nyssa, OR
(Zone 6a)

November 18, 2011
5:24 AM

Post #8895286

The robin is on its way to Minnesota from Oregon, shipped it yesterday afternoon. Will get you the confirmation number later today Susie, its out in the car and it snowed a little last night so I don't want to go out there in my robe =) So much fun to go through all the seeds. Occasionally had a little zone envy, but found plenty that will work in my garden.
When talking with the post master they are having issues with delivery confirmation tags falling off during shipping. I had a lost package for the Neck of the Woods swap due to this (luckily it did show up eventually). Maybe tape down the edges of the tag to help prevent this. Just an FYI...maybe it will save you from some Christmas shipping stress as well.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 18, 2011
5:46 AM

Post #8895304

Mechelle can you please check in & let us know if the robin is going out today Please. ???
susie

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 18, 2011
5:53 AM

Post #8895308

good idea tessa we had snow flurries yesterday nothing stuck all gone this morning sunny but very strong winds moving in . have a great day all

NF2932---December 29th.
ANSONFAN------FEB 6 TH
MELLEN----------MAR 1 ST
CAROLYN-------MAR 2ND

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

November 18, 2011
6:20 AM

Post #8895331

Hi everybody!! Susie TY for squeezing me in...I'm still trying to figure out how it works and how many seed packets I need to have ready. And I'm a bit confused about posts I saw of people buying large boxes. Do we resend the same box or do we have to have a new box to transfer it all into? Your robin is quite active! I hope I can figure it all out before the bird flies to NJ :)

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 18, 2011
6:34 AM

Post #8895348

WIND DON'T LET THE POST SCARE YOU all the info is in the robin & will explain what to do so do not stress it is easy . as i said in the dmail just add what you can but try to have a few type that may not be in the robin already . there are many seed packs with hundreds of seeds in them just take out what you can plant . & seal it back for others to try.

well off to get some baking done ya all have a great day susie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 19, 2011
7:58 AM

Post #8896774

Oh Susie - what are you making this time?

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 19, 2011
9:37 AM

Post #8896851

well carol My Brother & I Have started our HOLIDAY Baking this year we can work together Not sure if that is good or bad yet will let you know after i get off the scales On NEW YEARS EVE.

Yesterday he made a Rich DARK CHOCOLATE FUDGE & His PEANUT Butter FUDGE I Made my FABULOUS FUDGE, & Also MY CHEX Party Mix 's two types so far.

we have two Bake sales comming up for a few Groups to raise money so we donate much of it there .
usually he baked at his place & I at mine Now we all live as one & Work together & It is Great .

well off to fix lunch soon so you all have a great day .
susie

MECHELLE ARE YOU OUT THERE Please give us an update .
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 19, 2011
9:43 AM

Post #8896861

Susie

Sounds wonderful. I know last year, I discovered the bark recipes. I think I have my daughter totally addicted at this point.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 19, 2011
10:35 AM

Post #8896914

WHAT IS THE bark ??? hOPE ITS NOT A PUPPY , YOU HAVE MY ATTENTION NOW :)
ansonfan
Polkton, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 19, 2011
11:53 AM

Post #8897051

Just checkin in to say hi to everyone. I've been here all along, just watching from afar. Its been in the 20s here last couple of nights after several days in the 70s and everyone around here is crying 'mercy'! But my plants are all put up and my cats sufficiently fattened up so I guess I'm as ready as I can be. Hope everyone is keeping warm and having sweet dreams about turkey and dressing and such. George
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 19, 2011
2:26 PM

Post #8897336

Bark is candy...

Here is the one my daughter is addicted to. It is quick and easy to make. Since trying this recipe, I have started collecting other bark recipes...

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Cranberry-Almond-Bark

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 19, 2011
3:05 PM

Post #8897369

CAROLYN THANK YOU FOR SHARING :) going to have to try this one :) anyone else have quick & Easy to do for the holidays :)

you all may have noticed that I Added names to the one list so we can tell who is who is the robin for the new members who maynot have traded with us before . I Hope your all ok with it .

well it is that time of the night see whats going on in the world you all have a great evening
ansonfan
Polkton, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 20, 2011
2:07 PM

Post #8898824

Thank you Susie, it is much easier to tell whose tree the robin is in.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 20, 2011
4:12 PM

Post #8899043

evening all well still no word from Mechelle i hope she is able to get the robin back into the air tomorrow .
the robin is to fly to mrsspeedsgarden/shirley
well daaddy is wanting to go to bed so you all have a great evening
mrsspeedsgarden
Franklin, NC
(Zone 6b)

November 20, 2011
4:26 PM

Post #8899070

Yes waiting for that robin here.
Carolyn I will try that candy bark as well. I host a cookie party each year and that will be perfect.

I guess Jan. 25th on the robins return home.

Shirley
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 20, 2011
5:06 PM

Post #8899118

I understand one is on its way to me! YEAH! I am ready and waiting.
Snowed here 2" yesterday. Today I made 2 pumpkin pies and pumpkin bars from the puree I had left over from last years pumpkins. Pies are for Thanksgiving, but the bars are nummy - still warm too.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 20, 2011
7:12 PM

Post #8899265

Shirley

I would be interested in what you think about the recipe. I double the recipe when I make it.

Minnesippi - pumpkin pie sounds good! Bet it smells good too.
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 20, 2011
7:23 PM

Post #8899276

between the pie, the pumpkin bars and the chili...wehw!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 21, 2011
3:38 AM

Post #8899567

Steph- I have already eaten enough to survive the winter. HA! But I admit and not ashamed to say that I am looking forward to some rhubarb/strawberry pie and maybe a sweet potato pie for thanksgiving this week.

That reminds me that I'd better get across town to my favorite fancy high end healthy food store to see if there are any left. The rhubarb is a tradition I discovered quite by accident the first year I took that pie back with me to PA for our family dinner. My mom loved strawberries and tho' I'd never had rhubarb I figured it would still be HALF good. My grandfather and I practically ate the pie by ourselves. :D

Last year I had my first taste of sweet potato pie, and I am amazed that I have only gained 25 lbs since last spring (MArch 2010). I'll have to get back to the gym this winter. With my hand hurt this season I got to be a slug. Often can but this year can't joke that it's all muscle.

Have a great week everybody. My stomach is growling thinking about pie. HA!!!

A.

poisondartfrog

poisondartfrog
Barbourville, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 21, 2011
3:58 AM

Post #8899572

I have not had strawbery-rhubarb pie since I was a teenager! Oh man, with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream...
Next year I need to freeze some rhubarb!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 21, 2011
6:01 AM

Post #8899656

I have the strawberries if someone has the rhubarb we can meet & Bake :) hehe well it is starting out to be a sunny but cool day 28* here this morning . i hope to get my batch of sugar cookies made up wanted to do it last night but just didn't get to it .
well i do hope the east robin can get back into flight today .
susie

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 21, 2011
10:08 AM

Post #8899939

We do talk a lot about food on DG, don't we? :D
mrsspeedsgarden
Franklin, NC
(Zone 6b)

November 21, 2011
4:20 PM

Post #8900457

Alana I have not had strawberry & rhubarb pie since I got married and left home either. Just something I don't make I guess.

We have strawberry farms here and I like to go and pick strawberries but don't desire to plant them myself. I remember all the weeds I had to pull in the strawberry garden we had at home.

Sweet potato pies are my favorite but I don't care for pumpkin. Might as well talk about cakes to YUM...Black Walnut cake is my favorite and my Mom always made it for my Birthday in Dec.

Shirley
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 21, 2011
4:45 PM

Post #8900527

Black Walnut cake sounds good. Shirley - can you send the recipe?

Have you looked at the recipe forum? There is a thread on fancied up cake recipes. I have tried some of them and they are really good.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/449839/

poisondartfrog

poisondartfrog
Barbourville, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 22, 2011
3:09 AM

Post #8901089

I would like that recipe too, Shirley, if you have it. I have black walnut trees and am always looking for new recipes to use them.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 22, 2011
5:25 AM

Post #8901168

GM Black walnut is my dads favorite cake thats what he gets o his Bithday jan 25th & It seems as someone her choose jan 25th as for the robin to arrive home.

ANSONFAN------FEB 6 TH
MELLEN----------MAR 1 ST
CAROLYN-------MAR 2ND

WELL Still no word from MECHELLE yet as to weather she sent the robin out yet or not has anyone else heard from her.
this is not like you mechelle trully hope you can contact us soon to let us know if all is ok ,
i have added my phone # to the robins so that anyone can contact me if there computer goes out this way i can post on the thread for you.
lets hope we can hear something today .
as of now i'm going to pack up a few things we have for the bake sale so jim can take it over to the church waiting for daddy to wake yet he had a bad night. will check back in later when i can.
susie
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 22, 2011
5:51 AM

Post #8901196

Robin landed yesterday!! Havent had a chance to look through it yet. I brought it to work in hopes I can dig through it :) Very excited!!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 22, 2011
6:58 AM

Post #8901270

Shirley

I too would like that recipe...

Thanks
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 22, 2011
10:35 AM

Post #8901497

There is a baggie with seeds (obviously -lol) marked "Mary Poppins"
Can someone please tell me what it is?

Hibiscus? Rhodi?

Thanks

NF2932

NF2932
Winnetka, CA

November 22, 2011
1:11 PM

Post #8901677

Minnesippi... I'm sorry... I don't know.. I wondered what it was also... I believe Susie may know as it was in the box when I received it. Nancy

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 22, 2011
1:26 PM

Post #8901693

oh ya know those might have been in from the seeds swap spring 2011 so they might be hibiscus would have been in the tropical baggie i think I just added all that was left if anyone whated to try them.

super in the oven then off to bingo you all have a great evening .susie
mrsspeedsgarden
Franklin, NC
(Zone 6b)

November 22, 2011
5:21 PM

Post #8901981

Oh how exciting to hear there are other black walnut lovers on DG. My Uncle cracks me 6 quarts a year and I eat them by the handfuls.

Black Walnut Cake

1 Box White Cake Mix (Prepare as directed)
1 1/2 cups black walnuts chopped
1/2 cup black walnuts chopped extra fine
3 egg whites
2 1/4 cups sugar
7 1/2 tablespoons cold water
2 1/2 tsps light corn syrup
1 tablespoon vanilla

Prepare the cake mix as directed on box and add 1/2 cup of the chopped fine black walnuts.
Separate the batter into two round cake pans and bake per directions on box.
Combine unbeaten egg whites, sugar, water and corn syrup in upper part of double boiler.
Place over rapidly boiling water. Beat constantly with electric mixer for 7-12 mintues, or
until frosting will stand in peaks. Remove from heat; add vanilla; beat until thick enough to spread.
Frost half the cake and add 1/2 cup black walnuts to icing. Place the other half of cake on top and
use the remainder frosting to frost top and sides. I take the rest of the walnuts and press them into the icing
on the sides of cake and sprinkle on top.

I hope this makes sense...I don't write down alot of recipes just remember the way my Mom made it.

Shirley

poisondartfrog

poisondartfrog
Barbourville, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 22, 2011
5:49 PM

Post #8902000

Sounds yummy! Thanks Shirley-I will give that one a try very soon.

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

November 22, 2011
6:16 PM

Post #8902015

Our black walnut got a blight from tiny beetles that came I suspect from firewood. We just had to have the dead wood cut severely back :( The bark is peeling now too. No more fresh black walnuts here...actually the squirrels will miss them more than us I'm sure.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 22, 2011
6:48 PM

Post #8902037

Shirley

Thank you for the recipe!

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

November 22, 2011
7:12 PM

Post #8902063

>> There is a baggie with seeds (obviously -lol) marked "Mary Poppins"
Can someone please tell me what it is?

It's Pratically Perfect In Every Way!

Plant Files lists a Daylily hardy to Zone 3, a Triumph Tulip, a tropical Hibiscus and a Rhododendron shrub hardy to Zone 5.
Four different genuses: Hemerocallis , Tulipa , Hibiscus & Rhododendron.

I'm sorry that doesn't narrow it down much!

Are Daylilly seeds big, black and round like Cala lilies seeds?
Maybe Hibiscus seeds are flat, brown and smaller?
The Rhodie was listed as a hybrid that wouldn't come true from seed.
Do tulips even HAVE seeds?

Corey

minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 22, 2011
7:21 PM

Post #8902083

They are small black ball seeds...I didnt recognize them. Maybe someone else can figure it out. I am putting the robin in the mail tomorrow - I am done :) WOO HOO! Thought it would take me longer, but I went through all the seeds today at work (hee hee). The blessings of a holiday week I guess. But what will I do tomorrow? Oh yah...update my seed list! ;)
Deliv Conf # sent to susie already.

Stephanie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 23, 2011
1:41 AM

Post #8902342

Steph

Have you checked the seed database? Just click on the letter you think the name of the seed starts with...

http://www.theseedsite.co.uk/db.html
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 23, 2011
6:20 AM

Post #8902487

I had no idea that DB existed :) Thank you. I did not see them (just looking up what I thought they might be).

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 23, 2011
7:14 AM

Post #8902538

I rec'd note from MechelleT & Hopefully robin will be back in flight today . I May not be able to get on much for a few days daddy is not doing well right now ,will try to check back in later this evening .

susie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 23, 2011
8:39 AM

Post #8902631

Oh, Susie - Daddy comes first...

Hope he is well enough to enjoy Thanksgiving.

poisondartfrog

poisondartfrog
Barbourville, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 23, 2011
8:46 AM

Post #8902641

I am sorry your father is not feeling well Susie-glad to hear the Robin is resuming it's flight.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 23, 2011
1:24 PM

Post #8903017

Well Quite a day ty all Had to call ambulance & Take daddy into the hospital they run some test & well they say there is nothing that can be done but to bring him home & Let God Take him when its time may be week 6Mo's a yr they just cannot say when god is ready for him .

my sisters are over with daddy now & I Just had to come out to my little getaway. & recoop :)

anyway Mechelle didn't actually say when the Robin would be back in flight except soon . well i rec;d my THANKSGIVING Box today So I Need to go say THANK You :) Ya all have a great evening & will try to get back again later after everyone is gone & We Get daddy settled in for the night .

susie
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 23, 2011
1:35 PM

Post #8903026

Susie, just wanted to send you my prayers and let you know that I will keep you and yours in my heart.
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 23, 2011
2:01 PM

Post #8903059

Praying for your family.
Igrowinpa
Beaver Falls, PA
(Zone 6a)

November 23, 2011
3:17 PM

Post #8903168

Corey, Daylily seeds are large, black, shiny, and rounded, but not perfectly round most times. The seeds I have that are big, black and round are my Canna seeds. My hibiscus seeds are perfectly round, smaller than daylily seeds and are brown - and not shiny.

Hope this helps,
Linda
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 23, 2011
4:54 PM

Post #8903338

Susie

please know you and your family are in my prayers. I hope Daddy is not in any pain.
mrsspeedsgarden
Franklin, NC
(Zone 6b)

November 23, 2011
7:42 PM

Post #8903490

Susie-So sad to hear about your Dad. I know you have taken care of him for a very long time. God bless you all.

Shirley

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2011
6:28 AM

Post #8903771

GM HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL P&T WITH ALL OF YOU ALSO .

Daddy is in NO Pain thank goodness . & he is looking forward to a fresh APPLE PIE & Ice Cream for lunch says that is all he wants but i know he will eat pot roast also :) well it is going to be a sunny day in the 60's so they say right now it is 45 with a little cloud cover.

wishing you all a great day
susie
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

November 24, 2011

Post #8904042

Susie, I'm glad your daddy has perked up and is looking forward to his treat.

My family is cooking away, I've already done my part, now enjoying a sip of wine...
Happy Thankfiving to all!!

Pam
ansonfan
Polkton, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 24, 2011
12:30 PM

Post #8904068

Happy Thanksgiving to you all. I hope you all have a warm and fuzzy holiday.
mellen1954
New Providence, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2011
5:41 PM

Post #8904258

Happy Thanksgiving to all here. Susie, made me sad to hear about Daddy. Seems like many of us have "known" him for as long as we have known you. He is part of the family. You have been a wonderful daughter.

Duh! mrsspeedgarden, are you my friend from the other site? If so, I am just now putting it together. LOL

Looking forward to the robin arriving. I ordered some new varieties from Thompson and Morgan on Tuesday or Wednesday. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the order gets here when I have the robin. They were having a sale on everything at the site including the new seeds. Many of them have way more seeds than I would ever use, and I would be happy to share with the robin. Time will tell.

We had a nice day with my family.
ME
mrsspeedsgarden
Franklin, NC
(Zone 6b)

November 24, 2011
6:15 PM

Post #8904290

Hi Mellen...Yep that's me...Thought you knew...I know Susie does. That is too funny, all this time you did not know this was me. LOL

Honestly I think this was the best Thanksgiving ever. 35 members of my family and friends got together and had Thanksgiving Dinner.
There was so much food I good not sample it all. Some of the crazy ones have left to go shopping all night and all day tomorrow...NOT ME...They couldn't pay me enough to fight those crowds.

Shirley
gardenseeder63
Concord, NH

November 25, 2011
4:48 AM

Post #8904758

blessings to all

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 25, 2011
6:27 AM

Post #8904862

GM ALL Mellen the robin can possible land there today or tomorrow so you will have it for the weekend don't think the seeds will be there in time to share in this one but you can share in the next robin coming to you :) Maybe or lets hope :))))

daddy is sitting here next to me having some tea with me :) before i help him to his chair . yes guess i have shared my daddy with many of you & with your blessings & chat it helps me get through the long days. ty all

also wanted to share that hazzards seeds is having a sale also .
http://www.hazzardsgreenhouse.com/

I have sent Mechelle another dmail to see if the robin was sent out will let you all know when i hear back well off to get a few things done then go pick margaret up at the trai station this afternoon .
ya all have a great day
susie
momcat
northeast, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 25, 2011
7:37 AM

Post #8904919

Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving. If Mellen should be receiving the robin in the next day or so, that means that maybe by next weekend, I'll have it!!! Yeah!!!

I'm just spending the day playing on my computer, listening to the traffic reports from around the shopping malls!! My kids were heading out at midnight for sales, but haven't heard if they got anything they wanted, yet!!

Deb
ansonfan
Polkton, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 25, 2011
11:41 AM

Post #8905194

Wow Susie, 50% off is a good deal with those prices. Good time to stock up on perennials.

Glad that your Dad is doing ok Susie, and that you can have him home with you. My prayers are with you.
mellen1954
New Providence, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 25, 2011
2:46 PM

Post #8905460

The ROBIN LANDED TODAY! WOW is all I will say. I will have it back in the mail on Monday.

Shirley, Big DUUUUHHH!!!
ME

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 26, 2011
4:38 AM

Post #8906122

Just rec'd Message from MECHELLET Robin is in flight & Should land On MONDAY At MRSSPEEDSGARDEN
sorry can't stay busy day back later for an update :)

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 28, 2011
4:12 AM

Post #8908611

GM To all well its going to be a partly sunny day they say :)

Happy SYBER Monday My Money will be Staying in the bank :) for the day :)
Well Robin east is once again about to land today at Mrsspeedsgarden I Have added two new DG members
to the List Bluespiral & Wind .

I would like to ask everyone to Please have what seeds you have ready for when the robins land At your Home
its time to go get daddy up for the day so you all have a safe a great week. :)
susie
mellen1954
New Providence, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 28, 2011
9:51 AM

Post #8908969

The robin will fly today to Deb in IL. Going to the PO after lunch. It is FULL! and so FUN!
ME
momcat
northeast, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 28, 2011
10:30 AM

Post #8909007

Yeah!! I can hardly wait!!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 28, 2011
10:54 AM

Post #8909045

ANYONE ELSE WANT TO TAKE ANY GUESSES AS TO WHEN THE ROBINS WILL RETURN HOME ??

I SHOULD HAVE TOLD YOU TO TAKE TWO GUESS FOR THERE ARE TWO ROBINS BUT REALLY DOES NOT MATTER
FOR I WILL STILL GIVE A GIFT OUT FOR BOTH ROBINS FOR THE TWO PLAYERS WHO COME CLOSEST TO THE DATE THEY LAND. HERE ARE THE GUESSES SO FAR .

*******NO MORE GUESSES AFTER THURSDAY DEC1 ST***********

ANSONFAN------FEB 6 TH
MELLEN----------MAR 1 ST
CAROLYN-------MAR 2ND
momcat
northeast, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 28, 2011
10:59 AM

Post #8909053

Put me down for valentine's day! Feb 14th!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 28, 2011
11:31 AM

Post #8909083

mmmmmm HOPE THERE IS CANDY HEARTS FOR ME IF IT DOSE LAND ON VDAY :)))))

FORGOT THE LIST ;)

MOMCAT--------FEB 14 TH
ANSONFAN------FEB 6 TH
MELLEN----------MAR 1 ST
CAROLYN-------MAR 2ND

This message was edited Nov 28, 2011 2:34 PM
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 28, 2011
11:57 AM

Post #8909110

Susie - you forgot me...I had said 3/21

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 28, 2011
12:22 PM

Post #8909137

SORRY MINNE
MOMCAT--------FEB 14 TH
ANSONFAN------FEB 6 TH
MELLEN----------MAR 1 ST
CAROLYN-------MAR 2ND

This message was edited Nov 28, 2011 5:45 PM
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 28, 2011
12:33 PM

Post #8909147

Its okay :) you've had a few tings goin on lately.
Hope all is well - or at least better.
mrsspeedsgarden
Franklin, NC
(Zone 6b)

November 28, 2011
7:28 PM

Post #8909674

The robin has landed and what fun I have had going through all the wonderful seeds. Thank you Mechellet for the Garden Flag and the Christmas towel. My garden should have lots of nice veggies next year due to all the veg. seeds in this robin.

Shirley

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

November 29, 2011
4:57 PM

Post #8910684

Susie, good luck to you and your Daddy both. He is lucky to have you!

>> Corey, Daylily seeds are large, black, shiny, and rounded, but not perfectly round most times. The seeds I have that are big, black and round are my Canna seeds.

Now that I think about it, I probably am thinking about Cana seeds like 1/4" black bowling balls.

mellen1954
New Providence, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 29, 2011
5:28 PM

Post #8910713

I forget to comment about the 'Mary Poppins' seeds that were in the robin. I am positive that they are hibiscus seeds so I marked them as such. If that is not okay, let Deb know, and she can just mark through it.
ME

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 30, 2011
7:39 AM

Post #8911287

GM To all what a beauty full sunny day :) Christmas songs on the radio , snow on the ground, what a great time of the year :)))

Mellen that is fine for i do think you are right .

ANSONFAN you are next on the list are you watching Please let us Know today if you can please . you might have the robin landing at your doorstep about friday or saturday :)

Momcat: should see the robin landing today :))))

well off to get some baking done to warm up the house :)
susie
ansonfan
Polkton, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 30, 2011
9:37 AM

Post #8911399

Hello everyone
I'm here and watchin the skies for the red red robin to come flying over. Its almost like watching for santa claus, especially with that talk about snow and holiday music, I'm about to throw my damper wide open! But no kidding I'm really excited about the robin, and I've been going through seeds to see what I can share with everyone.
I do have an appointment on friday morning so if the package comes on that day I may be a little late reporting it, but I'll report it asap.

This has been a really quiet swap, and without a chat thread I don't know what kinds of seeds everyone is hoping for, but I'll try my best.
mrsspeedsgarden
Franklin, NC
(Zone 6b)

November 30, 2011
6:22 PM

Post #8911950

ansonfan the robin is on its way...have fun.

My DD finally found her a Doberman, we have been looking for a long time and everyone is excited. A dog house arrived big enough for an elephant. This dog is going to be spoiled rotten.

DH retrieved my Christmas decorations from storage so need to get busy putting out Christmas.

Shirley
ansonfan
Polkton, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 30, 2011
8:07 PM

Post #8912070

I think I may get the tree up by the weekend, but that will be about it. I plan to play in the seeds the rest of the time hehe.
gardenseeder63
Concord, NH

December 1, 2011
4:52 AM

Post #8912246

ohhhh i cant wait fly robin fly!!!!!
momcat
northeast, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 1, 2011
6:05 AM

Post #8912311

Sorry I didn't post last night, but I had to work really late. The robin arrived, I can't believe how many seed packs are stuffed into that box!!! I will go through it today, and try to get it in the mail tomorrow afternoon.

Oh, and I love the towel!!

Deb

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 1, 2011
6:19 AM

Post #8912327

OK GM ALL 1ST DAY OF DEC SO AT 12 AM THIS EVENING THERE WILL BE NO MORE GUESSES AS TO WHEN THE ROBINS WILL LAND BACK HOME .

********GET YOUR GUESSES IN IF YOU WANT TO PLAY ALONG***********

IF YOUR WATCHING US & NOT ON THE ROBIN'S FLIGHT PATH YOU MAY STILL TAKE A GUESS AS LONG AS YOUR ADDRESS IS IN THE EXCHANGE SO I CAN SEND YOUR GIFT IF YOU WIN .

JUST BE A PAID UP DG MEMBER & ADDRESS LISTED .

WELL YOU ALL HAVE A GREAT DAY SUNNY COOL DAY HERE .

NANCY / NF I THINK YOU SHOULD RETHINK YOUR GUESS SINCE YOU DIDN'T CONSIDER THE HOLIDAYS & WEEKENDS
LAYOVERS .HEHE
SUSIE

MOMCAT--------FEB 14 TH
ANSONFAN------FEB 6 TH
MELLEN----------MAR 1 ST
CAROLYN-------MAR 2ND
mellen1954
New Providence, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 1, 2011
6:41 AM

Post #8912347

With the addition of people, please change my guess to March 18.
Thanks, Susie.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 1, 2011
6:52 AM

Post #8912358

will do Mellen ty

MOMCAT--------FEB 14 TH
ANSONFAN------FEB 6 TH
CAROLYN-------MAR 2ND
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 1, 2011
10:12 AM

Post #8912542

I wanted to put in a guess. January 15th, Watching this thread is so much fun. Robyn

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 1, 2011
11:05 AM

Post #8912582

MOMCAT--------FEB 14 TH
ANSONFAN------FEB 6 TH
CAROLYN-------MAR 2ND
ansonfan
Polkton, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 1, 2011
12:28 PM

Post #8912681

The Robin has landed in North Carolina! Boy oh Boy so many seeds, can't wait to dig in.
Thank you Shirley for the very cute "breeches". So I'm going to get busy, talk to you soon.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 1, 2011
1:29 PM

Post #8912760

WAY cool george have a ton of fun with it you got NEW BREECHES :)))????? Going to model for us ????
super about ready back to getting super have a great evening everyone .

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 1, 2011
3:51 PM

Post #8912928

GET YOUR GUESSES IN HERE BEFORE "MIDNIGHT'
BAKING COOKIES BACK IN THE MORNING.

MOMCAT--------FEB 14 TH
ANSONFAN------FEB 6 TH
CAROLYN-------MAR 2ND
CRIS316---------MAR 20 TH

bluespiral

bluespiral

(Zone 7a)

December 2, 2011
1:24 AM

Post #8913383

Hello All,

Susie invited me to join a couple of weeks ago, and this is my first time to check in. She mentioned the box would arrive possibly around Dec 20, and I have been madly cleaning and packing seeds. If the box were to arrive tomorrow, I have enough seeds prepared that I could mail it off to the next person in the next business day.

Soooo, if I have begun checking in on the thread too late, that's all right - I understand. I have to keep my seeds on one floor of our house and the computer on the floor above, so it's hard to visit on 'pooter and work on the seeds at the same time.

Anyhoo, this swap looks like fun and I hope I have not made my appearance too late.

Question: Is it possible to designate seeds to each other in an envelope marked for them and put it in the box when mailing it, with a pretty good chance of said recipient getting his/her envelope of seeds?

Thanks again for the invite Susie and not to worry if I have posted here too late.

karen

This message was edited Dec 2, 2011 6:29 AM

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 2, 2011
5:35 AM

Post #8913466

GM Karen you are not late there is still two landings before you .

I just ask that member will Please post a week of or before the robin is to land so we know your watching for them
I try to keep up with the landing & take off dates for you all can know when its close to you .

well i have cookie dough waiting for me so you all have a great day
susie
mellen1954
New Providence, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 2, 2011
8:27 AM

Post #8913623

Karen, Welcome...yes, it is fine to include the seeds in identified envelopes as long as those people come after you in the robin, of course.
ME

bluespiral

bluespiral

(Zone 7a)

December 2, 2011
8:55 AM

Post #8913659

Thank you Susie & Mellen

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 2, 2011
2:12 PM

Post #8913989

sorry i forgot to answer your question Mellen ty for the heads up for karen .

karen as long as you see the robin is going to others after you on the list witch the robin will be going out west next & If you have seeds from someones list sure by all means you can share , I Just ask that NO ONE Sends any PLANT's or BULBS This is just all SEEDS Oh & A Towel in this robin .

well Brother is cooking tonight so guess i will go see what we are haven :) Back later .
susie
bigtrot
Upper Marlboro, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 2, 2011
3:42 PM

Post #8914100

Hi Karen,

I'm watching and waiting for our robin and I'll be sending it your way - maybe as early as next weekend. Welcome.

Donna
momcat
northeast, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 3, 2011
7:30 AM

Post #8914724

The robin is on it's way to Anita!! I wasn't able to make it to the post office after work yesterday like I planned, but I was there when they opened this morning. My daughter is moving in to her first apartment, and was waiting for me to get home from work, so she could borrow my van. She promised to have it back quickly, but by the time she got home, it was too late for the post office.

It's really amazing the amount of seeds packed in to that box!! Great variety!! This is one of the best robins I've been in!!

Deb

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 3, 2011
8:20 AM

Post #8914782

Ty Deb & isn;t it fun to sit at your kitchen table or middle of living room floor & search through the variety :) i'm already searching for seed
specials for next fall to share .;) hope everyone is haven a great weekend it is rainy here today very cool so staying in playing games
between laundry loads :) love this one hope it comes in for ya .

anyone like mah jong http://www.freegames.ws/games/boardgames/mahjong/freemahjong.htm
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 3, 2011

Post #8914882

I love majong. I play on pogo. They have one with animal tiles that I love.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 3, 2011
10:22 AM

Post #8914892

this one is full screen no commercials , play online or off any time . & more of a challenge. once you make a move that is it :) no way to undo.
ansonfan
Polkton, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 3, 2011
10:37 AM

Post #8914901

Hi karen
Glad that you are here!!!

Susie, my bad - I didn't get the robin in flight this morning - but it will give me a little more time to go through my stash and see what I can add in. I will post a pic of my beautiful breeches very soon.
I'm having a lot of fun playing with the seeds, staying up late and looking up stuff on DG!

bluespiral

bluespiral

(Zone 7a)

December 3, 2011
11:43 AM

Post #8914938

Hi Debra and George, nice to see old gardening & trading cronies here too. Are you two the ones who enabled Corey & Poisondartfrog? just kidding - I think the passion for gardening & trading just comes naturally, although I believe enablers exist because some folks just don't know how mesmerizing various aspects of gardening can be.

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

It's frigid outside. Dh and I just spent some time looking for the hose nozzle to wash off some dahlia roots before we store them for the winter in our cellar. We turned everything upside down looking for that nozzle. First one to guess where it was gets some Black Peony Poppy seeds earmarked for him/her when I send the box onwards. Any one want to guess?

karen

bluespiral

bluespiral

(Zone 7a)

December 3, 2011
2:13 PM

Post #8915147

Donna, next weekend will be perfect - I'll have more seeds ready for it. Should I be dmailing you my address?
ansonfan
Polkton, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 3, 2011
3:27 PM

Post #8915214

Don't tell me Karen, was it on the end of the hose hehe.

bluespiral

bluespiral

(Zone 7a)

December 3, 2011
3:53 PM

Post #8915243

George, you're CORRECT! You have now won a pack of Black Peony Poppy, which you eventually would have gotten anyway :) Methinks the only prize dh & I get would be some kind of booby prize...a pack of dandelion seeds? lololol

Well, hopefully once I get past a certain couple of seed swaps, I can focus on decluttering and organizing around here. I may not play games on purpose, but I love to lose myself in a mystery - so those will be off-limits until better order is established around here. (My favorite mystery writer is Elizabeth George, in case anyone else loves the genre and might have more suggestions of their favorite authors?)
ansonfan
Polkton, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 3, 2011
4:03 PM

Post #8915258

Hey Karen I had an unfair advantage, finding my reading glasses too often on top of my head hehe!

Now for those North Carolina Breeches I promised: Well done MrsSpeedsGarden!

Thumbnail by ansonfan

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

December 3, 2011
4:08 PM

Post #8915262

adorable! so creative!!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 3, 2011
4:12 PM

Post #8915264

that is fine george is no problem Monday is fine . Let us Know how you enjoyed this robin or if you think we can improve on it :)
karen won't be long now & You will be able to enjoy the fun:) Hope you have lotsa coffee or Hot cocoa :)

susie

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 3, 2011
4:13 PM

Post #8915266

OMG How Funny Those are just way too cute Just what I Need for these cold Mich Nights :) HEHE thank you for sharing with us .

bluespiral

bluespiral

(Zone 7a)

December 3, 2011
4:20 PM

Post #8915274

Susie, a cup of coffee, box of seeds and all the thous on this thread oughta make my day next weekend - looking forward to it very much.

There is a dg member who says her dh dresses to avoid arrest, I'm trying to imagine how those breeches would look in a police line-up? too cute lolol
ansonfan
Polkton, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 3, 2011
5:37 PM

Post #8915357

Shirley I'm sure my Mom will get a big kick out of those too. She will be 81 this month and really appreciates that kind of creativity. I don't think those are going to be seeing any dirty dishes anytime soon :)
mrsspeedsgarden
Franklin, NC
(Zone 6b)

December 3, 2011
5:48 PM

Post #8915369

George...So glad you liked the breeches...I bought that one as a pattern and now make them. Very talented folks who think up these crafts. Thanks for the picture so others could see. I hope to make all my Aunts and Mom a pair of breeches for Christmas. LOL

Shirley

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 3, 2011
5:52 PM

Post #8915374

WOW Shirley that is fantastic. No pressure to perform, George. ;)

Can't wait and can't believe I'm next!

A.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 4, 2011
5:29 AM

Post #8915729

yep Amanda you are up next on the list . mail is going to be moving slower now so please DBL CHECK That the address lables are on right & THAT The CONF # Is intact & that you send me the conf# that you are using . make sure all baggies are back into the robin before closing it up .

well off to get my day going will check back in later
susie
mellen1954
New Providence, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 4, 2011
8:44 AM

Post #8915882

Shirley, Those britches are so CUTE! LOVE 'em.
ME
ansonfan
Polkton, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 4, 2011
6:07 PM

Post #8916462

Susie, I'm all packed up here and ready to go to the PO in the morning. I have to tell you that I practically had to sit on the box to get it shut!! Well the 2nd time anyway. The first time I got it all taped up and ready to go and looked over and saw your pack of stuff on the table, I thought how in the world am I going to get that in there. But I did and everything worked ok. Your labels and seedpacks have not yet been used, but I went ahead and add another pack of seedpacks just in case. I really enjoyed the robin. It was lots of fun and I got a lot of seeds that I will use this year, and put some in that I hope everyone will enjoy. (I tried not to duplicate too much). Amanda keep your eyes on the treetops hehe
mrsspeedsgarden
Franklin, NC
(Zone 6b)

December 4, 2011
6:53 PM

Post #8916544

Thanks Mellen...glad you like them

Shirley

poisondartfrog

poisondartfrog
Barbourville, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 5, 2011
6:47 AM

Post #8917026

Shirley, I am planning to serve your black walnut cake to guests this weekend coming. Thank you again for the instructions.

Karen, don't be so quick to disparage the lowly dandelion. I have been looking for the white flowered race for a few years now. I don't suppose anyone has that one tucked away?

Alana

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 5, 2011
7:03 AM

Post #8917044

white dandlelion ???? ours are yellow but they turn to a white fluffy seed ball & Fly all over around here come digg up all you want this spring :)

Are we still using the same MED FLATE RATE Box I Started with ??? How is it looking ?? we might have to change to a new type
of package for or robin PLEASE LMK . well off to town back later .
susie

poisondartfrog

poisondartfrog
Barbourville, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 5, 2011
7:31 AM

Post #8917069

Taraxacum albidum to be specific, just in case someone has it.
momcat
northeast, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 5, 2011
8:15 AM

Post #8917124

The box was in pretty good shape when it left here. It's been taped over quite a bit, but it's holding up pretty well. I noticed that my post office had good a supply of the flat rate boxes available in the lobby.

Deb
ansonfan
Polkton, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 5, 2011
12:37 PM

Post #8917421

Deb I picked up one (medium flat rate box) from the post office and it was different from the one the came here. That one opened at the end, and the one I got opened at the top, so the shape was a little different, but it worked out fine.

I also want to take a minute to sing a little praise for Mechelle. She added a LOT of expensive nursery seeds to make the robin better and it was GREAT!! Not to mention the many different seeds she added from her own garden and stash. Thank you so much Mechelle. I love herbs and they are always at the top of the list for my planting. I pray that your nursery will be blest greatly for your gift. That doesn't take away from the many many seeds that Suzie added; there is a great vareity of seeds and a lot of fun to go through. You guys obviously put a lot of effort in to make this Robin a success and you did just that. YOU ROCK!

Oh yes, the robin took flight this morning and is on the way to see Amanda. Have fun!!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 5, 2011
4:48 PM

Post #8917754

YAY! Can't wait. ;)

A.

bluespiral

bluespiral

(Zone 7a)

December 5, 2011
11:08 PM

Post #8918266

Alana, I like wild plants too, but my gardeners have all fled the castle and there's no one to pull dandelion roots for me lololol.

Anyhoo, dandelions do have a certain beauty - Durer, 1503 - http://www.the-athenaeum.org/art/full.php?ID=23711

And did you see this in last year's North American Rock Garden Society ( www.nargs.org )seed list? -

2803 Taraxacum albidum white 30cm 212
2804 Taraxacum faeroense yellow flr/black lvs 15cm 212
2805 Taraxacum pamiricum white 10-15cm 80

fyi - the seed list at www.nargs.org goes up this December 15, and it's not too late to join. They profess to prefer alpines, but really, they are paradise for many different habitats and garden styles - including cottage gardens. I hope they never change.

Alana, you must have a fascinating garden to be populating it with white dandelions. How do/would you grow them? I know these are very economically useful plants - I can imagine a permaculture type of garden where these would be at home...or an old-time physik/medicinal garden. Are you growing or working on creating anything like that?

Amanda & George - you too really know how to build suspense.

Trying very hard not to tease Alana about white-flowered kudzu,
karen

poisondartfrog

poisondartfrog
Barbourville, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 6, 2011
5:41 AM

Post #8918393

Ah Karen! Thank you! I have never paid the slightest attention to NARG. I have two types of drainage in my garden; none, and next to none. The result is clearly unwarranted tunnel vision on my part. As soon as I have 30 minutes to really examine that website I am going to dig in.

My garden is messy and unabashedly loud and overblown, but to my familiar eye it has little themes. One vignette is "A Spellcaster's Botanique". No serious Sorceress should be without one.

Kudzu? Kudzu smothers my area. It has encroached on and obliterated some beautiful natural stands of Lobelia cardinalis, Echinacea tenesseeinsis, and many other species, very close to my home. Last summer I slowed down to see if a motorist pulled to the side of the road was someone I could help and found not a stalled vehicle, but a photographer documenting the bizarre and evocative shapes of trees and shrubs shrouded in it's green veil. She was spending her summer studying it's habit. We are sworn enemies, Kudzu and I, despite the deceptive pureness of it's blossom.

This message was edited Dec 6, 2011 8:58 AM

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 6, 2011
7:24 AM

Post #8918485

alana is this what you are chatting about lost ya from dandelions to KUDZU

http://www.jjanthony.com/kudzu/

poisondartfrog

poisondartfrog
Barbourville, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 6, 2011
7:48 AM

Post #8918517

Susie, that is it exactly. Those malevolent creatures are the stuff of nightmares.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 6, 2011
10:45 AM

Post #8918704

don't know as we have that here thank goodness for we have many other creepers to get a handle on :( as like dandellions funny when i started out in gardening over on another site few yrs back there were many members who would sed me email asking for the dandelion plants , I i was in a group trade one time where a lady sent me the plant well not to hurt her feelings i just through it into the burn barrow .

we also have BURDOCKS here oh my what a mess if the go to seed. well I just finished 8 mini loafs of PUMPKIN CARROT BREAD MMMM
Good so daddy says he is my taster :) now to get my rest till my brother gets home with my Mincemeat ,

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 6, 2011
11:09 AM

Post #8918729

FYI - you'll pay a lot of money for a bunch of fresh dandelion leaves at an organic food store. They are very nutritious!

I have saved seed from my front lawn this season for my green iguana, Rita, because these greens have many of the nutrients she needs for good health. So THERE!!!

A.

p.s. This is NOT a seed I will be putting into the Robin. :P

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq

minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 6, 2011
11:18 AM

Post #8918734

She sure is pretty A :)
I used to have 21 lizards (yes, all at once - along with 3 snakes, rats, mice and crickets). Now I just have 2 dogs, 2 cats, 3 (available ) kittens and the kids...I think that's enough.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 6, 2011
11:36 AM

Post #8918765

Mandy

I just love Rita - how big is she?
ansonfan
Polkton, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 6, 2011
11:45 AM

Post #8918779

Amanda, does that thing come with a saddle? I admire anyone who collects reptiles, but I have to keep them in my dreams. They give me more than my share of cold chills there hehe.
I do love the mod sharpies though! I have a collection of those myself. Thats my weakness - office supplies oooohhhh.
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 6, 2011
11:54 AM

Post #8918793

When I still had my iguana I'ld put him on his lease and take him from one yard to the next to eat the dandilions. Best dandilion control ever. Robyn

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 6, 2011
3:38 PM

Post #8919115

well i just got home I looked at my cell & Saw that anita had called to say robin landed at her post office & She will pick it up tomorrow when she gets off work & will ltry to get it back into mail by thursday when she has to be back to work .

WOW These robins are Really Flying theyt might be home by NEW YEARS :) HEHE NOT .

No REPS Here i cannot handle seeing a snake or it is in my dream & I Hate that . well it is time for me to sit back & Get tuned into the world news ya all have a great evening .

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 6, 2011
3:45 PM

Post #8919131

See?! I knew not everyone disparages dandilion! One summer Court fed poor Rita burdock. Turned out it was not on the list of good good stuff for her, but I was traveling for work and had no idea. Fortunately she showed no long term problems. ;)

The picture above was taken in spring 2009 so she is a fair amount larger. Saddle and other accessories not included (that's part of the fine print). At the time I thought the Sharpie would help for size comparison, but as the years pass it becomes less helpful. I think right now she's lost weight because of the egg-laying behavior (they stop eating) but typically between 6-7 lbs and about 40" long.

Steph - you got me beat - Court used to have bullfrogs which he would feed with crickets until I outlawed the practice. Then I happened into a pair of breeding hissing Madegascar cockroaches - what fun!!! Could not fathom feeding small mammals, though this past spring I brought in a dead bunny as a gift to a rescued Crow in my living room. Yes Yes, freakish, I know. But the look on my neighbor's face when she came in and saw that was priceless - I have never seen her speechless. :D

Well, I worked myself into such a frenzy over the thought of the Robin landing here today that I ended up with a migraine and had to sleep most of the afternoon away. Hate that, but the headache is gone, and no Robin. :/

Maybe tomorrow!!! :D

A.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 6, 2011
3:47 PM

Post #8919135

Cross-post. This one's for you, Susie. :D

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq

minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 6, 2011
5:07 PM

Post #8919199

Oh no! Amanda. Calm down ;) (I want it back - and do it again and again though, so I cant really tell you to calm down now, can I?!) Lol.
This is so much fun. I want to do it over and over again...not that I have the time - I just love seeds & gardening and it is something to look forward to when it is 14* outside...

Hope your headache is gone - and stays gone. It will be there...dont fret :)
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 6, 2011
5:14 PM

Post #8919208

14 degrees? Yikes! You need more than seeds in that kind of weather.
bigtrot
Upper Marlboro, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 7, 2011
10:21 AM

Post #8920064

bluespiral - do you have a "want" list? When the Robin leaves here I thought I'd look and see if I had anything that you would like...can't find your list. Want to help me out with some hints? Donna

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 7, 2011
11:49 AM

Post #8920177

Blah. No sign of the Robin today. Only wrens and jays.

A.
ansonfan
Polkton, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 7, 2011
1:36 PM

Post #8920347

Amanda I wonder if this is due to changes they are making in the USPS. It should have arrived by today, but that means you should definitely have it by tomorrow.

minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 7, 2011
4:17 PM

Post #8920580

Changes (according to my news anchor) dont take effect until next spring...
If it went through the Memphis area (or there abouts) it would have probably gotten delayed. They got 4" of snow. LOL!!
They've gotten more snow than MN so far this year!

ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT!!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 7, 2011
4:27 PM

Post #8920599

You know, GEorge and I could have met halfway and it'd only have been a couple of gallons of gas. ;)

bluespiral

bluespiral

(Zone 7a)

December 7, 2011
7:29 PM

Post #8920808

Donna - thank you for asking about my seed wishes. Since Amanda may not get the box until tomorrow, Thursday, at the earliest, at this point, I hope it's okay if I hold off until Friday getting back to you on that. The headache gremlin has struck here too grrr. But my seeds are ready to add to the box any time.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 7, 2011
7:32 PM

Post #8920812

yes it should have been there today but looks as it will be tomorrow for sure . & Don't worry about getting it back out till Monday if you need.

Processed through USPS Sort Facility
December 07, 2011, 5:56 am
GREENSBORO, NC 27495

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 7, 2011
8:16 PM

Post #8920879

Crazy. O well. In the meantime I have a cat to look for. Don't know how, but this one may be on the loose. You can see from the photo he tends to be trouble. In this pic, he went out the bathroom window to the roof. Come home Willie!

I'm sick. :/

A.

p.s. Of COURSE it's not his fault, but Court says he only went out once this morning and no sign of Willie. I know he was in the living room when I went to bed at 4 in the morning. Ay aye ayeyayay. :/

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq

ansonfan
Polkton, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 7, 2011
8:50 PM

Post #8920949

Amanda I was thinking jiust about the same thing, I could have driven it there in just around 3 hours and then I could have stopped by winston salem and visited my neice hehe.
But after that info from Susie, if you don't get it tomorrow, you march right down there and tell me what for hehe.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 7, 2011
9:07 PM

Post #8920975

Durn it - there goes my chance to meet another DGer. :/

The good news is that I found my stupid cat. Had to bundle up and pace around the neighborhood with a flashlight, but I feel so much better now. That giant lump in my throat will take a while to go down, tho.

G'night all.

A.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 8, 2011
5:21 AM

Post #8921132

amanda happy you found your cat . & hope that the robin will land today , have a busy day here today so i might not get back in till this evening . ya all have a great day
susie

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 8, 2011
6:47 AM

Post #8921204

Have you seen the Hallmark commercial for the Christmas ornament hanging on the tree that has a countdown to Christmas?

That's what it's like waiting for the mailman today. :D

2 hours, 3 minutes, and 48 seconds, 47, 46, 45, 44 . . ..

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 8, 2011
8:57 AM

Post #8921367

OK GUESS IT LANDED SHE STOPPED COUNTING :) LUNCH TIME HERE GOT TO GO ENJOY THIS HOT CABBAGE SOUP
BACK LATER.
SUSIE
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 8, 2011
9:19 AM

Post #8921390

Amanda

I am so glad you found your cat...

Let us know if the eagle has landed!
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 8, 2011
11:33 AM

Post #8921541

Okay - which one of you shipped me your headache? :(
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 8, 2011
12:16 PM

Post #8921602

Wasn't me - I still have it!
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 8, 2011
12:56 PM

Post #8921658

Eagle landed for Amanda!! YEAH!!

Who ever shipped it (the headache), air shipped it...

This message was edited Dec 8, 2011 3:57 PM

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 8, 2011
1:09 PM

Post #8921677

I shipped the headache in exchange for this magnificent box of seeds. It's a round robin - only seemed fair.

Thank you George for the happy towels and cute card. You did a fine job of getting those seeds back into the box. My crazy neighbor lady was here already and she went thru it as I was doing my Zoo Chores. I am going to be leisurely with it, but not too...

Thanks for all your hard work, Susie. What a great project.

Loveya. Meanit. ;)

A.
ansonfan
Polkton, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 8, 2011
2:37 PM

Post #8921808

Glad to hear the package got there safe and sound. Something to do on a cold cold night.

bluespiral

bluespiral

(Zone 7a)

December 8, 2011
5:44 PM

Post #8922031

Amanda, if you don't get the box out till Monday, that will be fine with me. I just got out of minor surgery - nothing serious - but durnit when I have fun, I want to enjoy having fun while I'm at it. I'll feel better in a few days.

Glad you found your puttycat.

Susie, or anyone - does anyone have a great cabbage soup recipe? I am definitely gonna find a place to grow nettles next spring - collected some seeds earlier this past summer. When cooked, nettles are one of the best pot herbs around - minus those stingers.

Donna - I'm gonna echo George at this point and enjoy the box for it's surprise aspects. But I look forward to talking plants and gardens with y'all - I know I need to go back and read previous threads.

karen

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 8, 2011
6:28 PM

Post #8922081

1 head of red cabbage
4 cubbed carrots or enough for your family
1med to lg red onion
2 peeled potatoes diced
2-3 stalks celery diced
6-8 c water
3 TBLS Beef base
1 LB ITALIAN TURKEY SAUAGE sliced
3 bay leaves remove just before serving

MMMMMMM GOOD

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 8, 2011
7:03 PM

Post #8922112

Ha hahahahahahaha

I have been going for at least 3 hours now.

:D

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 9, 2011
5:15 AM

Post #8922363

karen good luck with the surgery,
AMANDA : HOPE YOUR HAVING FUN IN THE SEEDS

WELL off to get a few chores done so you all have a great day;
susie

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 9, 2011
7:53 AM

Post #8922520

I was in the seeds into the wee hours and had to put them away.

I have to thank George who must have looked at my wish list because he put in a few that I have been coveting for years. Thank you soooo much.

Maybe it's because I'm a novice that it's taking me so long to go thru the seeds and take a tiny few here and there. Then before I went to bed last night I had to stand in front of my own seed collection and re-assess. It's so much fun either way.

I am going to just look longingly at the seeds all over my kitchen counters today while I dance around them doing the chores that I missed yesterday. :)

xoxo
A.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 10, 2011
5:20 AM

Post #8923604

GM to all well Mother nature has Locked me into my new house this morning she has frozen my doors shut yep No way out till my hearter thaw out the doors :) Hehe I didn't turn on the propane heater over by the doors when i went to bed last night for it was warm in here with just the electric one :) I usually turn it on about 4 am go back to bed but i didn't .

with all the plants & Moisture i have in here it caused the doors to freeze up ; so my excuse for not making breakfast this morning or getting daddy up is I'm locked in & no way out :) guess she Knew I needed a break :)
I have both heaters going & they are still air locked shut :)sure if a fire was to happen they would not lock up like that :)

so guess i have learned that I Have to have my other heater going also or cut back on my plants what do you think is going to happen ??

well off to read some more :) HEHE Amanda have fun this weekend :)
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 10, 2011
6:41 AM

Post #8923701

I'm passing this on because it worked for me today. A doctor on TV said that to have inner peace we should always finish things we start and that we all could use more calm in our lives. I looked around my house to find things I'd started and hadn't finished. So I finished off a bottle of Merlot, a bottle of Chardonnay, a bodle of Baileys, a butle of wum, tha mainder of Valiuminun prscriptuns, an a box a chocletz. Yu haf no idr how fablus I feel rite now. Sned this to all who need inner piss. An telum u luvum.

:D
S.

bluespiral

bluespiral

(Zone 7a)

December 10, 2011

Post #8923756

Also, send some silver and gold glitter to all who have started decluttering and cleaning projects back when dinosaurs roamed and still have not finished - glitter is fun to sprinkle on those Mt. Rushmoots that by now have evolved from those dustmoots in the lower strata.

iluvu2
mt. mcRushblue
ansonfan
Polkton, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 10, 2011
10:06 AM

Post #8923902

Karen are you over at Stephanie's house??? I think you got in some of her Merlot hehe. Stephanie, Susie could have used some of that alcohol to free up her doors! Anyway, I imagine after finishing all of those projects you may need rehab hehe.
Seriously though, Susie, when you get your doors opened up, please put it at the top of your 'to do' list to find something that will pry your door open in case of an emergency, or at least something strong enough to break the glass if you need to get out. A crowbar might do both. One of the most tragic circumstances in life is to be stuck in a building and not able to get out. I live alone as well and so that makes it even more of an issue. Welcome to saturday morning preachin hehe.

Amanda, I'm glad that I put something useful in that box. There's just no telling what another gardner might like. I guess I've poured through those seed catalogs enough over the years that I'm finally learning what is something good to plant, and what is something that was renamed from last year, or the pic is a close-up cause the plant looks crappy from a distance. I really wish the seed companies would raise their standards. I can't tell you how many times I got tricked into ordering something that I thought was something else. Us DG'ers should get together and start a movement to stop mis-representation in the industry. It would benefit a lot of people in the future. I know for a fact that a very large percentage of gardners don't have the resources to waste.
I'll have to shut up now or take a collection hehe.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 10, 2011
11:23 AM

Post #8923995

Steph I loved your post. O how it applies to me. Now off to finish going thru that box of seeds . ... ;)

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 10, 2011

Post #8924042

yes george you are right & there is a crowbar in there but There was no fire so i really didn;t want to break out the glass door , however it is now unstuck & I Cleaned out the tracks & will spray some w-d 40 in the tracks so that they cannot freeze up again.
& will remember to tur on the propane heater in early morning :)

well guess i should walk down & get the mail . hope everyoe is haven a great sunny day .

susie
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 11, 2011
8:20 AM

Post #8924913

If I actually would have done all of that, my headache might be gone...unfortunately, it is not :( Day 4...however, it is supposed to be 40* today :) Huge difference from 4* on Friday!
I've had the patio door freeze shut before - makes it interesting to try and let the dogs out. Front storm door has been snowed shut too. Good thing we can always get out the garage. But if the dogs get out the front, they run...stoopid dogs.

On my list of things to do this winter - actually "plan" a garden bed. I usually just "throw" stuff in the ground where I have an opening. And if I have time (cutting it close) get some seed assortments together to give as gifts for the siblings and parents. My sister is only able to container garden because the lady they are renting from will not allow anything in the ground except grass. Beautiful home, no landscaping. Its a travesty. She gave me many iris when they moved because she couldnt bring them with.
Off topic question - who pulls their iris up in the winter months? I do not - never have - but it made me wonder if I should be? I generally dont plant anything I have to pull out - I have too many other things to do. I did pull my canna and my amaryllis, but that is it. Was going to push the amaryllis for the holidays but never got around to it, and only pulled the canna because I intend to find it a new location. Oh well.

Cookie decorating for the kids @ Nana & Papa's today. I was going to wrap gifts this morning (they spent the night) but this headache is killing me :( Wish I knew what caused them...Dr's cant figure it out either. Starting to think that trip to the Mayo might need to be added to the list.

Have a good day y'all
bigtrot
Upper Marlboro, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 11, 2011
10:04 AM

Post #8925071

Carolyn22 - when I get the Robin I will put in a pack for you. I have a small trade of Dusky Salmon that I got in Sept. I'll share it with you and then if either of us has extra seeds next fall we can share with the other - deal? I also have white Angelonia for you (which was going to be a surprise) but since I saw your post for DS I thought I'd better let you know since you sounded close to self destructing without DS.

When I got the trade for DS, the note with it said that it needed stratification so I am going to try my seeds in my new winter sowing project. Seriously I only have about 10 seeds so don't be disappointed but between the 2 of us we should be able to grow them.

Donna
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 11, 2011
2:33 PM

Post #8925393

Minne - Best of luck with your headaches - I too am a headache sufferer and quite often it does not matter what I do - the headache ends up going away on it's own. My headaches seem to be worse in the spring and fall with the unsettled weather and the lows that come through.

Donna - I did not mean to sound like I was going to self destruct - that is actually funny. Thank you so much - you are such a kind lady. I do have an extra packet of the red/orange ones if you are interested.

Susie - I hope you have a cell phone with you when you retire to your new home. That way, if you need to call for help, you can.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

bigtrot
Upper Marlboro, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 11, 2011
3:07 PM

Post #8925425

Carolyn22, can you tell me where our "WANT" lists have gone? I am sure that I remember you asking for single color portulaca, etc... Is this just another old lady issue for me??? - I also have some notes on things that others requested and now I can't find where I got the info from. I think I need some mint tea to calm my nerves or maybe I'll just go to bed and start a new day tomorrow. :)

PS. I checked and you sent me enough of the red/org for a planting this spring. Many thanks.
Donna
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 11, 2011
3:21 PM

Post #8925440

Donna

a request in a single color of portulaca sounds definitely sounds like something I would say - but I too, don't remember and I am not even sure where to look. Apparently I sent you the Maltese Cross seeds already - does not say much for my memory... ^_^

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 11, 2011
6:33 PM

Post #8925575

Hey everybody!

I have had such fun with this box of seed. I guess I need to get out more.

The robin will take off from GSO tomorrow afternoon. I'm still working tonight on my contributions. :D

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 12, 2011

Post #8925930

thanks for update amanda . & I'm sure that Diamond/anita will have the east robi in flight today going to the west so frist in line is
LINDA/IGROWINPA so with both taken off today hope they land on weds @ linda's & Donna"s
I'm also a headache sufferer , had to cut back on trying to finish off unfiished projects so guess my bottle house will take a few more years .
well gotta go get off here

Thumbnail by deejay9

minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 12, 2011
6:29 AM

Post #8925970

You could start working on your tree susie :)

Thumbnail by minnesippi

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 12, 2011
8:16 AM

Post #8926088

oh cool stop with the great IDEAS & chores already )))
mellen1954
New Providence, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 12, 2011
9:16 AM

Post #8926218

WOW...now that is a bottle tree! Yours, of course, Minne? Have you had yourself checked for migraines?
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 12, 2011
9:36 AM

Post #8926252

LOL - no, I cannot claim this one...might try one next year though. My sister posted it on FB although I dont believe it is hers as she does not have a blue house...

I've been checked too many times to count. :/ they are still scratching their heads.
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 12, 2011
10:11 AM

Post #8926286

That is a cool tree. Where do you store something like that the rest of the year?
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 12, 2011
11:06 AM

Post #8926349

I"d hafta leave it in the yard :)
Or recycle it and start over the next year...

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 12, 2011
1:04 PM

Post #8926575

Or it could be your wine rack, 'cept you'd have to hang the bottles upside down.

LOOK OUT DONNA!!!

The east robin is in flight. I had so much fun with it ladies I can't tell you, but you probably know already. :D

I packed in flower seeds for those of you who like 'em. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Susie I will send DC by separate mail.

A.
ansonfan
Polkton, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 12, 2011
2:08 PM

Post #8926645

I got a feeling that tree might cause all the winos in the neighbood to come callin lol

All of you headache sufferers, you might consider growing these herbs next year

Feverfew - A tea made from the leaves helps with migraines
Lemon Balm - A tea made from the leaves helps with headaches
Rosemary - A tea made from the leaves helps with headaches
Valerian - the root of the plant takes away pain.
(Info from Johnny's Seed Catalog)

This message was edited Dec 12, 2011 5:42 PM
bigtrot
Upper Marlboro, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 13, 2011
5:31 AM

Post #8927494

Amanda - I think I'll take a few naps today so that I am fully rested when the Robin gets here. Can't wait, from what everyone is saying, I'm excited!!
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2011
12:18 PM

Post #8928033

Hi all! I lost this thread some how. Susie, were you trying to get rid of me? LoL I got the Robin and mailed it . It should have landed yesterday. I hope the packing was okay. She is packed full and needed a new box.

Susie, I will dmail the confirmation number.
Igrowinpa
Beaver Falls, PA
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2011
1:21 PM

Post #8928104

Anita, I contacted Susie last night. The West to East Second Time Around Robin landed yesterday. Thanks so very much for forwarding it to me. I'm having a great time looking at the seeds!

Linda

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 13, 2011
3:25 PM

Post #8928257

Donna - better make sure you have coffee/caffeine too - I spent more than one sleepless night in that box!!!

gardenseeder63
Concord, NH

December 14, 2011
4:45 AM

Post #8928931

oooohh cant wait !!!!!! here birdie birdie
Igrowinpa
Beaver Falls, PA
(Zone 6a)

December 14, 2011
11:48 AM

Post #8929468

Carolyn and Susie,

The West to East 2nd Time Around Robin is in flight today. I think I saw that you were looking for Campanula (Bell Flowers), Carolyn, and there is a pack of Fuji Blue Bell Flowers in the baggie that has my name on the outside that you can look at.

Hope you all enjoy the West to East 2nd as much as I did.

Linda

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 14, 2011
12:00 PM

Post #8929482

TY LINDA carolyn might have it tomorrow way flights are going :)))
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 14, 2011

Post #8929699

Can't wait! Glad the robin is coming before Santa gets here!
bigtrot
Upper Marlboro, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 14, 2011
3:14 PM

Post #8929704

Robin landed 10 min ago = 6:01pm I can't wait to open it and I'll be working all night.

Susie, I'll check all instructions before mailing again and touch base with you if need be.

I've got to go now play with the seeds. Thanks,
Donna
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 14, 2011
3:23 PM

Post #8929714

I don't think little kids get as excited about Santa as we all do with seeds. I watch for the mailman more than I ever watched for Santa. I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one.
gardenseeder63
Concord, NH

December 15, 2011
4:42 AM

Post #8930292

I'm sooo excited,I've been practicing how long it would take me to tackle the mailman!! lol

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 15, 2011
5:11 AM

Post #8930316

gm all the robins are really flying . west robin is in the east now :) Just wanted to let you all know that , the towels you see in the robin as you get the second robins land at your home will be coming back to me so they will have quite a trip :) hope that is ok & they don't take up to much room :).

well have a recheck of my eyes this morning so everyone enjoy the robins . will check back later 55* here this morning.
susie
bigtrot
Upper Marlboro, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 15, 2011
11:58 AM

Post #8930759

Whew Ė Iím at the PO and I put in extra mailing labels and confirmation slips because I think we need them. Iíve taken my tape gun so that I can wrap it all up and itís only 2pm. Iím so clever, except that I left my completed mailing label and confirmation slip on the kitchen counter. I remember Ansonfan did something like that. No problemo, I just rewrite them and Bluespiral you should get Robin on Saturday.

Carolyn, I will send to you separately. There is so much in that box, I am still overwhelmed even after a long night and a hard morning of seed envy. Some of you put in so much and some were very rare, at least I thought so. But I have so much to learn.

When looking up some (most) names that I did not recognize I came across ROS, and after several googles it struck me that it was probably Rose Of Sharon. I hope so because I took a few of those seeds because the Lavender Chiffon looked so pretty and I can grow ROSís. Then there is the problem of chaff. You will notice that my seeds have an abundance of chaff, sorry. I do plan to improve. Does Newbie status count in this group? Honest Iíve read about seed cleaning but still my seed doesnít look like the lovely clean seeds that yaíll sent me.

Amanda I love your towels and they are so timely. We have a full house Christmas and New Years and somehow there are never enough dishtowels. Hugs. I also wanted some of your nice clean seeds but some of them require shade and moist and I have neither. I did collect a very substantial number of Sun Lovers and Drought Tolerant. And Susie, I have been wanting Kiss Me Over The Garden Gate for ages Ė well at least since this summer when I started gardening. I figure if it is close to being a weed, I can grow it. :)

Sorry to run on but Iíve had little sleep and Iím still wound up about how all these seeds are going to perform for me next year!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 15, 2011
12:33 PM

Post #8930808

Hey, Donna!

I'm so impressed that you turned around so quickly with the Robin! Like you, I had some chaff on some of my seeds. I figure I'll improve for trades, but when I save seed for my own purposes I never have to think about that.

Glad you liked the things I sent. Just got lucky, I guess. :)

Looks like we are getting ready for another Robin coming this way - you'll barely have a chance to catch your breath.

Hurrah!

A.
ansonfan
Polkton, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 15, 2011
12:41 PM

Post #8930827

I want to share this with some of you because I wish someone would have told me way back. It really helps with getting the chaff out of most seeds. (Some are just about impossible)
You need a baking pan, one that is like new and very smooth and with low edges, like a cookie sheet.. Put your seeds, chaff and all on one end of the pan and tilt that end up with your knee. Then just use your fingers and tap a drum beat on the bottom of the pan and most of the time the seeds will just magically crawl out from under the chaff and slide to the other end. Works like a charm.
bigtrot
Upper Marlboro, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 15, 2011
1:40 PM

Post #8930894

George, Thanks, I am going to try it because you had some amaranth seeds in the trade and they were so tiny, pretty and clean!! I also put some amaranth seeds in the box and mine are easily recognized because of the red chaff and yellow pollen. All help is welcome.

Now since I'm coming clean - is there a way to tell seeds from chaff? I even have trouble with zinnia seed which are big enough but isn't easy for me to tell seeds from seed coating. Or Mexican Sunflower, they have a similar chaff that comes off when I coax out the seed.

Susie, If this isn't the place for this discussion, please let me know.
ansonfan
Polkton, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 15, 2011
1:44 PM

Post #8930902

Donna that is part of the reason for the pan method. The seeds are heavier than the chaff, even though you can't tell, and they will present themselves when you start tapping the pan if the seeds are good and ripe.
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 15, 2011
2:25 PM

Post #8930954

Who can I ship this headache to? I'm done with it!! (Yes, its the SAME one from last week!!)

I use old 'fashioned' sifters - of various sizes...then i use the pan method (or a tray, or a box lid ~ you lose some with the lid though~ )
I also sit in the garage when Im smoking and use a pencil eraser to pick them up if they have decided to "fly" all over my workbench.
I have just learned (this is pretty bad I know) what the seed from echinacea looks like! LOVE the seed site!! Very helpful! Is it bad that I exported the whole database so I can print them on my label packets? :)
ansonfan
Polkton, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 15, 2011
2:42 PM

Post #8930985

Very clever Stephanie, doesn't that take a lot of your memory?

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 15, 2011

Post #8931080

Try getting some different size screens cut them into squares , also i use kitchen culendars, or even the kitchen sieves .

minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 15, 2011
4:23 PM

Post #8931085

no, I have them saved in a word document. its 12 pages, but I can cut & paste into my labels, add my own flower photo and vwaa-laa :)

These are what I use - multiple sizes

Thumbnail by minnesippi

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 15, 2011
6:42 PM

Post #8931233

Donna - are you familiar with the seed site? If you scroll down to the bottom of this page - you will see zinnia seeds. This site is great and has over 600 different types of seeds. I have it bookmarked on my computer. http://www.theseedsite.co.uk/db58.html

Minne - I have the same issues with headaches -not unusual for them to hang on a week of more for me either.

As far as separating the seeds and chaff - I like to use an empty spice jar with the plastic snap on top. I just pour my seeds from a paper plate into the spice jar, put on the cap and then shake away. This separates out most of the chaff from the seeds.

Looking forward to the robins!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 15, 2011
8:31 PM

Post #8931421

Some seeds, let's say Asters, do not separate easily from their flower parts or fluff. George, Steph - amaranth and celosia-type seeds fall easily from the flower heads. Plants with seeds covered in a protective sheath like northern sea oats (chasmanthemum latifolium) or mexican sunflower (tithonia) are not as readily removed.

There is special equipment to separate the seed and their coating. The collander/screens work well in some instances, in others, not so much. This is my first year trading thru DG. When I collect seed for myself I either direct sow or store and dry seed often with coating and/or fluff still attached.

The solidago and aster seeds I included in the Robin have what I consider to be fluff or chaff attached. I guess maybe I'm just lazy. Or ill prepared!!!

I just hoped Susie wouldn't yell at me. :D

xox
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 16, 2011
1:40 AM

Post #8931650

Amanda

You make a very good point. I was very surprised the first time I saw Japanese Anemone seeds and I wondered at the time if I was supposed to separate the fluff and the seed. I decided it would be next to impossible, so planted as is. The other thing that goes through my mind is when these seeds self sow out in the wild - they drop and blow around with the fluff and chaff. Mother Nature is not descerning as to how much fluff or chaff is included with the seeds.

bigtrot
Upper Marlboro, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 16, 2011
3:59 AM

Post #8931685

Carolyn, thank you for the link (no I didn't know about it). It's great, I wish it had a search to go directly to the seed but as I was looking for clematis I learned about a lot of other seeds while clicking the "Next" button.

Have a great day everyone and all headaches are here-by banned!!!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 16, 2011
4:30 AM

Post #8931701

Donna - if you go to the home page and then scroll down, there are different subjects you can click on. Click on database and you will be able to scroll down from there and there is an alphabetical key, in which the seed pictures are classified.

minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 16, 2011
10:06 AM

Post #8932035

Donna - spend an hour and poke around on the site. I think I spent about 4 total - clicked on EVERY link that was there. The kids section is nice too :) Even for "big kids" like us.
They should add into the site the best way to clean the seeds - maybe we all submit our cleaning ideas to them :) I went as far as buying an adjustable screen at the hardware store - slides bigger to fit little windows. Havent used it yet, but the plan is there.
Milk weed is fun (LOL) I prefer to clean those wet/fresh as opposed to waiting until the pod splits and I chase them all over the place, because I took a deep breath and didnt "aim" away when I exhaled. I may just put the loveseat out in the yard this spring and see what a beautiful garden grows from it. There are SO many seeds in it. OH! Duh, vacuum the couch Stephanie - then dump the canister in the compost. (Im blonde, can you tell? - I claim 9 day headache as my excuse though) Come to think of it - that might be a good way to clean seed. dump them on the floor, use the Dyson to clean it up and all the "fuzz" should be up around the top with all the dog hair. Seeds in the bottom. Good in theory. I will let you know if I try it and it works.
Oh good grief...I will go now...:)
Here is a cute idea for straw bale gardening I found on pinterest.com - start planning...I am :)

Thumbnail by minnesippi

diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 16, 2011
10:28 AM

Post #8932045

Carolyn and Mellen I forgot to put your seeds in the box. Will you please email me your address? Gardenseeder, I sent all of your seeds in the Hog Wild seed exchange. I hope that was okay.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 16, 2011
10:45 AM

Post #8932058

Anita

I need to send out yours as well. It dawned on me that you are ahead of me in the robin - another 'duh' on my part.

ansonfan
Polkton, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 16, 2011
1:13 PM

Post #8932264

Steph I really like the shoppingl cart. No good for us rural people though.
I have used straw bales for growing tomatoes. Its a lot of work getting them ready but it was the best tomato harvest I've every had.

I appreciate all the input on seed cleaning, I'm always looking for more info, it seeds like every seed type has its own demands
As far as chaff goes, we clean it to be neater, but its actually good to plant the chaff with the seed. Its just some more compost
that will feed the seed once it starts growing. I always leave the chaff with the seed if I'm keeping it.

BTW what is the hog wild seed exchange?

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 16, 2011
2:41 PM

Post #8932412

Steph - how cute is that!? Like George, think it's a lot of work and gets messy in a small space. Don't have that kind of room here. I thought going vertical this year would be the dealio but with the hurt hand it didn't work out any better than the hay bale would have. ;)

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 16, 2011

Post #8932435

I think those are straw bale right ??? for I also tried growing but mine didn't do well not sure what I did wrong . but i might try again this year. .I have a place where i can get straw for $2.50 a bale in all other places they charge $3.50 to $5. a bale.

well off to get my mail done you all have a great weekend .
susie
bigtrot
Upper Marlboro, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 16, 2011
5:01 PM

Post #8932534

Stephanie - I am so glad that I ask about seed cleaning. I was laughing so hard when I read about your dyson and dog hair...it was like you were really talking about our house. I had to go get my husband and read it to him. We are still laughing.
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 16, 2011
6:12 PM

Post #8932600

Whew! glad Im not the only one Donna!!

I love the cart idea - can move it around in the driveway to optimize the sun. I can see the kids rolling it down the street though. I do want to try the straw bale thing next season though. Need to find some before the snow comes so it can season over the winter. I have at least a week before the snow is even in the forecast...looking like a brown Christmas in MN. (Weird but I really dont mind the weather right now)

Off to watch movies with the kids and DH.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 17, 2011
9:29 AM

Post #8933139

Minne

We lived in a suburb of Minneapolis when I was a little girl - the weather was always extreme there. I do remember the tornadoes more than anything else though. I was 5 years old and terrified! I still have an occasional nightmare about tornadoes this many years later.

The robin landed here this morning. I just got up - (I know), so I am just seeing it. I have not opened it yet, but am looking forward to it. I am really happy that it arrived on a weekend. Last time I went through it quickly to get it back in the mail...

bluespiral

bluespiral

(Zone 7a)

December 17, 2011
11:40 AM

Post #8933253

I never would have thought it was possible to get this excited over a box of seeds this late in life. But, alas, mailman has come and gone without leaving a box here. I always thought Zen was an interior place of perfect balance, but I'm beginning to think excitement may have its Zen aspects too - I've gone from being a perfect 2 year old to an imperfect 65 year old in seconds this afternoon. If I had that much fun without the box, it oughta really be something with the box.

lol
karen

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 17, 2011
12:29 PM

Post #8933293

KAREN THIS IS WHAT THE CONF # SAID SO IF YOUR MAIL HAS COME & GONE THEN YOU SHOULD HAVE IT MONDAY
FOR SURE . WELL OFF TO BAKE MORE COOKIES FOR THE COOKIE MONSTER "DADDY"

December 15, 2011, 8:44 pm
CAPITOL HEIGHTS, MD 20790
Expected Delivery By:
December 17, 2011
Delivery Confirmationô

bluespiral

bluespiral

(Zone 7a)

December 17, 2011
2:10 PM

Post #8933359

Thank you Susie. Cute about the pooch hair, Donna - I wonder which makes a better germination medium - dog or cat hair? I'll try not to send any of St. Ray's sheddings along with the seeds. (Our rescue cat was named by our vet, who found St. Ray parked on the sidewalk in his carrier in front of the door to her clinic - very sociable and fluffy and sings for guests when they come over)
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 17, 2011
3:35 PM

Post #8933432

I couldnt say if dog or cat hair is better - I am not about to try and separate the two! :) The birds arent picky, the seeds shouldnt be either. Im sure there was some of both in the box when I shipped it. In the tape for sure. I emptied the Dyson 6 times vacuuming today. Maggie - my choco lab is shedding something fierce. Coming out in clumps...eeewwww
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 17, 2011
4:29 PM

Post #8933499

Definitely shedding time here as well. My long haired cat is matting and that happens when she sheds. Poor thing.

minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 18, 2011
11:23 AM

Post #8934401

Thought they were supposed to shed in the spring...whats with that? I have more hair rolling around the floor now that I have in the last 6 months! YUK! Sometimes Im glad I have wood floors, sometime I wish I had carpet...SHAVE EVERYONE!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 18, 2011
12:48 PM

Post #8934469

My husband would be happy if we shaved them all...
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2011
2:27 PM

Post #8934581

Years ago I had a persian who would not let us brush him so I took him to a friend who had sheep and she shaved him. It took four of us to hold him and after he was the funniest looking creature on the planted. My brother thought it was a great idea and tried to shave his. I think he's still recovering. What get me is my shorthair sheds more than the longhairs. Of coarse with three women in the house, it's the human hair that is the worst.
ordairygirl
Nyssa, OR
(Zone 6a)

December 18, 2011
2:31 PM

Post #8934585

I was going to organize my seed stash today...one of those "I'm ready for Christmas Break" activities. I managed to get everything out of their bubble envelopes and sorted to vegetables, herbs, annuals and perennials into shoebox size plastic tubs. I'm really wanting something more useful...I know when planting time comes I'm going to digging and cussing that I can't find the packet I know I have in there. How do you organize your seeds? I didn't really realize how many I had collected this summer and know its going to take a lot of effort to get them all started. But really looking forward to reclaiming my back yard with flowers and paths instead of dead grass and weeds.
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2011
2:34 PM

Post #8934592

I've number each packet of seeds and then listed them in a notebook with basis info. Size, space, light. So I look for what I want in the book and then look for the number packet. Right now the seeds are in a box together but I'm planning a trip to the dollar store to look for some kind of box or holder that I could set them in like a filing cabnet. Did I mention how OCD I am?
Cris316
Port Norris, NJ
(Zone 7b)

December 19, 2011
4:07 AM

Post #8935168

DeeJay - just checking in verbally so to speak so you know I'm
waiting - thought I'd get the box for Christmas but don't think with
the mail being as it is & a few in front of me thats going to happen.

Ordairygirl, My seeds have their own mini-fridge and I do the same thing
but use open top organizers. However, I use plastic baggies & have the
seeds separated by size so I know which "row" to put them in. 2"-24",
24-36" and over 3'. Trees, shrubs, vine types and bulbs are grouped in
their own box. Veggies have another, and lastly herbs. Then I rely on
my computer spreadsheets to keep me organized. When I'm out of a seed
I mark it OOS but still keep the information so I remember to fertilize and
how much water it needs.

Once in the garden I group the heavy feeders & those that need
lots of water. The first couple of years were really intense but having done
all the pre-planning and sorting has worked out well for me. Hope this helps.
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 19, 2011
6:02 AM

Post #8935256

My flowers are alphabetical by common name in one box, veggies the same in another. Keep the flower seed in plastic baggies - in the seed packet if I have one - or I staple them to a 3x5 index card that has a picture and information on it.They have a dresser drawer in the basement - and a shelf in the garage, and then there are the bags and bags of seed I have yet to clean...I have LOTS to do this winter!
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2011
6:09 AM

Post #8935260

Ordairygirl, I organize my seeds in alphabetical order. I keep them in a binder in the bottom of my fridge. I have to binders, one for trading and one that I will plant in my garden. I can hardly wait to start wintersowing.
gardenseeder63
Concord, NH

December 19, 2011
7:00 AM

Post #8935318

i think in next! HERE BIRDIE,BIRDIE LOL

bluespiral

bluespiral

(Zone 7a)

December 19, 2011
12:03 PM

Post #8935691

Sorry to say that mailman has been and gone and left no box.

Trying to think of something pleasant to say...tum tum de dum...at least it isn't lost :)

and Cris, you won't be rushed trying to get it out before Christmas - maybe you'll have more "leisure" to play after Christmas day?

I'll check in again tomorrow

Karen

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 19, 2011

Post #8936108

ok KAREN do you know where that sorting station is maybe you can call them if it is not there tomorrow . this is what the conf# is saying

December 17, 2011, 9:06 pm
LINTHICUM HEIGHTS, MD 21090
Expected Delivery By:
December 17, 2011
Delivery Confirmationô

GARDENSEEDER Robin West is headed your way should be there by weds we hope

bluespiral

bluespiral

(Zone 7a)

December 19, 2011
8:16 PM

Post #8936400

Susie - all righty - we'll wait and see what happens tomorrow and then go from there.

It doesn't seem too worrisome to me yet, since our box did not arrive at Linthicum until around 9:00 pm on Saturday, and it is now Monday, only 3 business days from when it was last dropped off. Hasn't delivery taken 4 days recently in at least one case?

We'll stay on the lookout.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 19, 2011
8:22 PM

Post #8936406

Holy Cow! The robin's right around the corner!!! I'm getting nervous again.
gardenseeder63
Concord, NH

December 20, 2011
5:45 AM

Post #8936717

YAAAAAAAY! whata christmas present!

bluespiral

bluespiral

(Zone 7a)

December 20, 2011

Post #8936851

Thought you folks would like to know the box is here. DH's theory is that the post office is making separate trips each day with packages separated from letters, which would have had them out and about before 9:00 am this morning, as opposed to their usual delivery time from 2:00 pm to after 5:00 pm.

The address label from Donna was intact, so I don't think any third party interfered with the box.

I'll send my woohoo's once I can open the box later on today - there are a few things I've gotta do first. But the box is fine, and I know I'll be swinging from "chandeliers of joy" once I can assuage my curiosity about what's in there.

I'll try to get it back to the PO tomorrow.

Is it just me, or does anyone else ever muse about what Pandora was feeling in the moments leading up to the actual event of her opening The Boxe?

lol - Amanda & Susan

Susie - whew!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 20, 2011
8:00 AM

Post #8936855

Gm all just got home had to go for my blood work this morning & get new tires put on the car slid through two stop signs the other day hardly any snow on the ground but my car would not stop so its was time for new ones.

just brewing a fresh pot of coffee everyones goe but daddy & i so good time to get my forums checked :) sure hope the east robin land safely today the conf #still says the same as before stuck in LINTHICUM HEIGHTS, MD 21090 since December 17, 2011, 9:06 pm .

well when jim gets back today he is building me a new stand with lights so i can start my seeds in jan i have a few i want to start now
will keep you posted as to how it is looking when it is done :)
susie

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 20, 2011
8:03 AM

Post #8936858

cross post good that it is there have fun with it :)

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 20, 2011
9:13 AM

Post #8936913

I wonder if we have been busted in MD for swapping seeds?
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 20, 2011
1:05 PM

Post #8937069

LoL @ Amanda I confessed to my post office a long time ago. I am a seed-a-holic!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 20, 2011
2:59 PM

Post #8937193

I played 'True Confessions' with my post office too. I had to know how many others she had. Apparently there are a few...

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 20, 2011
3:28 PM

Post #8937213

but not as huge as ours ROBIN I Bet :)))))
WELL I HAVE ALL MY MATERIAL NOW FOR THE SHELVES But my brother was called away again to help another friend in need so we will try to get the shelves up tomorrow he promised me :) so my place is in a mess till tomorrow :))) but that is ok . i things to do till then
like get some sleep :) hehe chat soon GN all.

Thumbnail by deejay9

bluespiral

bluespiral

(Zone 7a)

December 21, 2011
2:52 PM

Post #8938487

The robin flew around 2 pm this afternoon. I am just amazed at the bounties everyone has shared - not just numbers of seeds - but unique plant & garden passions are showing as well in what everyone is sharing.

There was an herb that I took a pinch of - don't know if the gardener sharing that one knows a bit of history with that one. Back in the late 1800s to early 1900s, before the USDA as we now know it came into existence, procurement of unusual economically useful plants, in some cases, was done by plant hunters financed by private patrons/entrepeneurs.

One of the plant hunters was David Fairchild, and his travels took him everywhere. But one of his stops was in Timbuktu. It was the custom there, when parents arranged a marriage for their offspring, for the groom's family to present the bride's family with an ankle bracelet. Her family had to fatten her up until her ankle filled the bracelet, at which time she would be considered ready to marry off. The requisite fattening recipe was milk, honey and the herb a member of our group shared in our swap.

(This makes me wonder about a "woman's place" and cultural continuity between that custom and the Venus of Willendorf - a ~23,000 year old stone sculpture that fits into the palm of a human hand - somewhere I also read that this artifact has been found from northern Europe down to the Mediterranean. )

Does anyone want to guess what the herb was?

I had so much fun with this robin, in spite of feeling pressured by Christmas preparations being put on hold for those 12 hours. I certainly feel inspired to be a better seed saver.

ps - On page 2 of the instructions about order of robin destinations, I followed the directions to send Wind the box next, after which Cris316 will be next.
gardenseeder63
Concord, NH

December 21, 2011
3:14 PM

Post #8938502

no robin yet... dumb mailman lol
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 21, 2011
3:33 PM

Post #8938526

What is the herb? I'm going crazy

bluespiral

bluespiral

(Zone 7a)

December 21, 2011
4:36 PM

Post #8938575

Monkeymomr, I better stop teasing Alana - the herb was foenugreek. Given the wide range of habitats over which artifacts similar to the Villendorf Venus have been found, I suspect, that if women/girls were deliberately fattened up for ceremonial purposes, that recipes and ingredients would vary between the Mediterranean and the Caucasus.

I'm curious about how foenugreek is used now - anyone know?

I might be off-line for a while - many thanks again to Susie and all for this wonderful box and may you all have a very merry, safe and healthy holiday season.

karen

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

December 21, 2011
4:41 PM

Post #8938579

I better check and see if it is getting near coming to me yet... it may be getting closer ^_^

Happy Swapping Holidays to everyone!
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 21, 2011
6:28 PM

Post #8938663

Headed to the plantfiles to look up that herb. Good night all
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 21, 2011
6:35 PM

Post #8938672

Nothing in the files. Will hit the web.
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 21, 2011
6:50 PM

Post #8938684

The herb is used in lots of curries and is suppossed to help increase in the production of breast milk. Something new learned everyday.

bluespiral

bluespiral

(Zone 7a)

December 21, 2011
11:22 PM

Post #8938999

Monkeymomr, thanks - I'll have to poke around and see what I can find on foenugreek, too.

Donna, you're right, I love blue and always wanted to make a "blue" garden - something along the lines of the color mix in petunia 'Alladin's Lamp'. But it hasn't happened yet - I'm starting to think in terms of 4' diameter circles or other shapes of equivalent area that I would treat like large pots. Each pot would have as huge or as small a variety of plants as possible, centered on a particular color with companions chosen for echos or contrasts in color or form. Then I would take the primary color of each "pot" and do a color run based on the dominant color of each pot. Probably with a "pot" centered on blue, the next pot might be centered on yellow, but the overall intensity of color in the yellow "pot" would be very pale - like a pale moon against a dark night sky next door. That "dark night sky" next to the "pale moon" pot could be a monster canna with black-maroon foliage on the side away from the blue cluster (unfortunately, I lost that canna grrr). A color run is any sequence of colors a gardener might fancy, but it would be possible to choose a sequence based on the color wheel.

Y'all should see the way Donna packed that box. As I unpacked it, in a very tiny space, I put each item as I went through it into another box exactly as it was in the box, but upside down. So, all I had to do when it came time to repack was to just dump the whole business upside down into the original box and voila - instant repacking. Although my seeds were placed near the bottom of the repacked box.

This is all just an excuse to stuff as many different plants into a tiny space as possible, since I am no longer as fit as I was when I was young.

But, Donna, I loved the tea towel you sent, and yes that would be the color I would have chosen.

If I can't get back before Christmas, wishing everyone a merry season.

karen
bigtrot
Upper Marlboro, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 22, 2011
5:39 AM

Post #8939108

foenugreek- I did not put these seeds in the box but I do have foenugreek (1/4 cp) seeds in my cupboard. My husband gets terrible colds and I make him tea with these seeds and it really loosens up his chest. Therefore I'd say it has expectorant properties. Does not taste good and turns some body excreations orange (TMI).

Karen-your garden "pot" overwhelm me. I'm still trying to grow things. Color coordinating is in the distant future for me. :) I'm also hoping that by next years Robin I will recognize a lot more plant names and I won't have to look up so many.
Donna

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 22, 2011
9:19 AM

Post #8939296

ok as promised here is the after I shut lights off to get a better picture I still have to get a few More shelve boards but after the New year.
well been transplanting & Now Time to go spend time with daddy . ya all have a great day .
susie

Thumbnail by deejay9

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 22, 2011
3:47 PM

Post #8939669

Busy day everyone?

I tried to stay off the machine and stay busy and I accomplished that. Bluespiral - I looked at that herb when I received it but wasn't aware of the historical/mythical properties. ;)

I guess many of us will be busier and busier so I'm sending my wishes for happy holidays too.

xoxo
A.
gardenseeder63
Concord, NH

December 22, 2011
4:48 PM

Post #8939730

the robin landed tonight cant wait to go through it!!!! happy holidays all

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 22, 2011
4:58 PM

Post #8939742

Hurray! Thank GOODness. :)
ansonfan
Polkton, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 22, 2011
8:54 PM

Post #8940062

Hey Susie
Thats some good-lookin shelves you got there. How about sending that carpenter down my way when you finish up hehe. Got a question for you since I see your shelves; do you use bottom-heat to germinate your seeds at all? I have a home-made contraption in my house that will hold up to 16 flats (though I haven't used near all of that space at one time yet), and up to now I haven't used bottom heat at all, but this year I'm thinking about buying one of those very expensive heating mats and I wonder if its worth the too-high price. I would like to start some geraniums. Is there a lot of seeds that require bottom heat? Sorry to go off-topic.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 23, 2011
5:18 AM

Post #8940238

well i ordered one of the heat pads so i will let you know but as for heat on the shelves NO just the heat from the lights is all they will get .
so i will see what happens & let you know what works best. this is my 1st year to go all out inside so to speak :)

my biggest problem is between my heater the plants i Have way to much humidity in my place so i have to go buy an dehumidifier
today . well off to read a few more forums then off to town .

have a great day all & merry christmas to all .

susie

poisondartfrog

poisondartfrog
Barbourville, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 23, 2011
5:26 AM

Post #8940243

Great looking shelves Susie! You are a lucky gardener.

Fenugreek leaves are used in money spells. There are a few traditons regarding Fenugreek and the enhancement of monetary wealth including tossing a few leaves in cleaning water to spread it around the house.

ansonfan, I don't know what you are growing, but bottom heat is an economical way for me to start seeds in the greenhouse. Root temperature is more important than ambient temperature for most plants and with bottom heat I can keep the air temperature much lower than I could without it, using less energy to maintain the seedlings. I don't keep my house very warm either and I find a heat mat useful in the window when I start seeds there, too.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 23, 2011
5:35 AM

Post #8940252

ty lalana OH Please send me a few of those leaves i could use a few extra dollars around here :))
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 23, 2011
6:36 AM

Post #8940304

What's the average temperature of the heating pads 70/80 degrees?

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 23, 2011
9:18 AM

Post #8940482

I think 80 but don't quote me , i took my heat pad out of the box today had it all rolled out Only to find you cannot use it without a thermostat control witch it didnot come with ,& was not explained in the add for the mat . so ontop of the $80+ there will be more going out for a control ot sure but maybe it would be cheaper to just order the plants ;( tried to call the comp & they are closed till after christmas .

well daddys about done with his lunch & so guess get him back to his chair then off to get dishes done.

susie

diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 23, 2011
9:50 AM

Post #8940538

You're right Susie, the plants are probably cheaper to buy. LoL Does anyone have Lantana seeds?
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 23, 2011
10:46 AM

Post #8940588

I have a little Miss Huff lantana i could share but it's not very much. Let me know. Robyn
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 23, 2011
11:16 AM

Post #8940618

Robyn, that awfully nice of you. I would love to have a sampling. Have you ever tried to start Lanata inside?
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 23, 2011
2:02 PM

Post #8940796

No, but I'm going to try winter sowing it. The lady I bought the seeds from said that even if I wait to start it in the ground next spring, it grows fast enough that it will be great. Remind me after the holidays and I will send you some. I will probably only be five to ten seeds. I only ordered a small amount. I fell in love with the pictures. I'm hoping next year to have some of my own seeds from her. I'm getting some yellow lantana in a trade and if theres enough of that I will send some of it too.
Cris316
Port Norris, NJ
(Zone 7b)

December 23, 2011

Post #8940921

Diamond,
I too have lantana seeds - think I have a pic in my have list
if you want to have a look. Can send them to you since the list
flips. Let me know.

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

December 23, 2011

Post #8940922

Hi all... guess what I got? Yahoo!!!! >>>> The Robin East has landed in Mt. Laurel, NJ

THANKS so much Karen (bluespiral) for the Christmas card and Sunflower towel. I love them. We're cat lovers here. The card is so cute. We put the dish towel to use already! I may try to do Karen's repacking "flip" technique so that I can fit everything back in the box. It's so packed and weighs a ton. So many wonderful seeds. I need vacation time to sort thru it all. I'll try my best to go thru it over the holiday weekend so I can mail it back out to CRIS316 asap! And, who put the seed envies w/ labels in there for us to use? That was so nice.

Happy Holidays!
Diana
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 23, 2011
4:42 PM

Post #8940941

Dont quote me - I saw it on Pinterest I think - use rope lights under your trays for under heat. I have no idea how hot they get or if it even works. Sounded like a nice cheap alternative.

Opened 1 gift each last night because my DD went with her dad for the holidays. I got a food processor :) SO, I made more salsa today. SLICK!! Made this batch spicier than the last two. AuGratin taters are on the menu tomorrow. Bringing them to dinner at the BIL & SIL's place.

Made my DM gift today. Waiting for DH to get home with my stencils so I can finish. It will look something like this when I am done...its a growth chart. She currently is using a door for the grandkids. Not very mobile... :) I think she will love it.

Thumbnail by minnesippi

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 23, 2011
5:35 PM

Post #8940976

Stephane . My GM used her Kitchen wall to Messure us when we would go for summer vacations @ her place she cried when she had to sell her Home she had her favorite recipes also on her Kitchen walls she ran a Boarding House we would go for a week to visit sure miss her cooking :) often wonder if the people tht live there ever kept some of the recipies :)
she put our names by the inches .
back when there was nothing but the kitchen wall :))) & This will be nice for grandma for she can move rom room to room :)

Diana TY for posting we know the Robin will have a great time at your home this weekend :))) Plenty of time to rest up before his NEW YEAR Stop :)))) @ Cris's :)

well was a long day & its time to relax Have a safe & Happy Weekend & MERRY CHRISTMAS

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 23, 2011
6:52 PM

Post #8941073

Hey Steph - I have seen Christmas lights also used to heat cold frames and other homemade outdoor seed starting contraptions. I have been using one of my cookie cooling racks as a cooling rack for my computer. Once when I had to set up a hospital fish tank I put it on top of the cooling rack and the heating pad slid right underneath. That might offer the added warmth w/o or with less risk than sitting a tray directly on a pad.

My thoughts.

OR since the temps in my iguana's room are always 70 deg. and higher, I will start all my seeds in there this year. What will I DO with all these new plants?! Stay tuned. ;)

A.
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 23, 2011
9:10 PM

Post #8941168

I love that growth chart. What a wonderful gift.
gardenseeder63
Concord, NH

December 24, 2011
5:18 AM

Post #8941308

had a great time with the robin thank you all will try to get to po today if not monday happy holidays all!! ps there were no cards to take out for the game?
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 24, 2011
6:37 AM

Post #8941375

Oh! - funny you mention the cards. I didn't see them either, but forgot about them... I was confused enough by the towel. The older I get, the less I seem to 'get it'
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 24, 2011
7:48 AM

Post #8941461

And here is MY version of the growth chart :) Very happy with how it turned out. I think she will be thrilled with it.

Thumbnail by minnesippi

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

December 24, 2011
11:04 AM

Post #8941605

nice growth chart gift :)

has anyone grown tree okra or have any info about it? I never heard of it before and love okra's blooms and plants

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 24, 2011
11:16 AM

Post #8941613

here is what ii found http://permaculture.tv/tag/tree-okra/ not sure if it will help ya or not :)
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 24, 2011

Post #8941615

The growth chart turned out beautifully.
momcat
northeast, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 24, 2011
12:50 PM

Post #8941685

Wishing everyone here a wonderful Christmas!!

Deb

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 24, 2011
1:59 PM

Post #8941750

I think that most heat mats can be used without a thermometer unless you need one specific temperature. Mine advertised that it would raise soil temp by 10-15 degrees above room temperature. That room is alwys cool (55-60, at most 65) so adding 10-15 degrees was pretty safe.

I put drywall under the heating pad so more heat was retained. On the other hand, I use one small pad to try to keep two trays warm, so only the very center of each tray gets the full benefit.

Corey

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

December 24, 2011
2:41 PM

Post #8941767

thanks Susie, I had seen that, but couldn't find much more info about it. I'm wondering if there is another name besides okra tree to look up...

so many seeds, so little time, but I love it!!!

Merry Christmas!!
ansonfan
Polkton, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 24, 2011
11:25 PM

Post #8942045

I admit I can get confused pretty easy, but keeping up with these robins has me completely turned around.
Thanks to everyone for all the tips about heating the trays, I'm going to try the rope lights since I have one and see how it goes. And Steph, if you have a pattern for the growth chart, may I have a copy. I really like that and would like to share it with a few nieces and nephews.

I do hope everyone has a very warm and fuzzy Christmas, and don't forget to pray for our soldiers who are far from home.

I found a poem that I thought would be nice to share:

CHRISTMAS ROBIN by Stan Harrison

Jaunty little robin,
With your plume of glowing red,
Swinging on the washing line,
Perched upon the shed.
Don't know where you come from,
Or when you will appear.
But when the Christmas bells ring out,
I know that you'll be near.
We send a chirpy greeting card,
To dear friends nationwide.
And pray that each receiver,
Feels that happy glow inside.

Merry Christmas everyone, and to all a good night.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 25, 2011
5:03 AM

Post #8942132

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL JUST WAITING ON THE KIDS TO GET HERE DADDY'S SINGING TO US , 1ST CUP OF COFFEE GOT TO WORK ON ANOTHER . YA ALL HAVE A GREAT DAY
SUSIE
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 25, 2011
8:49 AM

Post #8942286

No pattern really on the growth chart. I used a 1/2" x 6" x 6' piece of oak - you can use wider and thicker if you want - stained it. Let that dry. Used a tape measure and marked, starting at 6" on the bottom, marked every 3" with a pencil. Then I taped off the "short line", the "medium lines" and the "long lines" - like a ruler has. Long lines are the foot markers, medium lines are the 1/2 foot markers, etc. Using a paint marker, I drew the short lines, pulled the tape, made the medium lines, pulled the tape, made the long lines. Then using either 1/2" or 1" stencils, used the paint marker and put the numbers on. Hung the picture hanger bracket at the 6' mark in the back - that way you can measure 6' on the wall, put your nail in and hang it at just the right height - 6" from the ground.
Hope that made sense. Here is another explanation from the link I got the idea from. http://naptimedecorator.blogspot.com/2011/10/ruler-growth-chart.html
I deviated from this to make it "mine" and to fit my moms house. And "added" a few helpers like the tape to keep my lines straight.

Merry Christmas! Sun is shining here today. Dont forget to feed your birds! :)
ansonfan
Polkton, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 25, 2011
1:37 PM

Post #8942462

Steph thank you for the instructions.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 25, 2011
7:37 PM

Post #8942699

Thanks for the poem, George, and to all a goodnight! :D

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 26, 2011
5:04 AM

Post #8942926

Nice Poem George ty for sharing, headed for the New year with new expectation & great ideas from all of you thank you for sharing your great ideas . its going to be 44 here today with sunshine so brother is going over to pick up some barn wood today so we can do some building will keep informed of our projects :)

well wishing you all a great day back later in the day .
susie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 26, 2011
5:54 AM

Post #8942965

I love that poem George. Did you make it up? I have always loved poetry.

Hoping everyone had a wonderful Christmas. Cannot believe it is done with for another year. Looking forward to the new year and the new growing season.

ansonfan
Polkton, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 26, 2011

Post #8943226

I found the poem on the internet with google. Glad ya'll enjoyed it. I love poetry too Carolyn. I wish I had the talent to write it, but only to enjoy it is enough. I hope everyone had a great Christmas. My daughter, grandson and granddaughter live out of state and couldn't be here so I spent a quite day alone. It was still a beautiful holiday. I'm at the age now where I can appreciate solitude and quite time. I'm so thankful that I live out in the country and can go for a walk out in nature now and then.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 26, 2011
10:55 AM

Post #8943254

George

I grew up with all my family surrounding me during the holidays and the big family meals. I have had difficulty with the sizing down of family members that can attend the holidays as we are scattered all over the country. I do, however enjoy some solitude from time to time.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 26, 2011
3:32 PM

Post #8943482

evening all yes our family's are all scatter but mainly have their own KIDS & GRANDKIDS To share Christmas with Its to hard on daddy to have over 100 family members in a 3 room home :) so they all take turn visiting with him :)
I Also love the walk down the country road . or walk back in the woods .beside i do i do not ever feel alone when I Have all of my DG 's friends to chat with :)))

right now my neighbors wants to chat so i'll be back later
gardenseeder63
Concord, NH

December 27, 2011
7:24 AM

Post #8944050

good morning all the ROBIN IS IN FLIGHT to Chris in NJ. i added over 100 packs plus large bag of seeds for all to share, happy holidays all blessings ,Susan
gardenseeder63
Concord, NH

December 27, 2011
7:29 AM

Post #8944053

and thank you dj for the beautiful towel,xox

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 27, 2011
7:56 AM

Post #8944077

Wow Susan - thanks! Can't wait to see the west Robin coming down east. :)

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 27, 2011
9:42 AM

Post #8944205

SUSAN THE TOWEL YOU RECEIVED MUST HAVE BEEN FROM CAROLYN22 RIGHT ??? IN ROBIN #1 ???

susan / gardenseeder had robin
west to east RIGHT ??? & Mailing to cris316 ??? RIGHT

wind/diana HAS ROBIN EAST TO WEST & WILL ALSO BE SENDING THE ROBIN TO CRIS316 FOR WE HAD MISSED CRIS

SO PLEASE NOTE THE CHANGES I HAVE MADE AT THE TOP FOR THE FLIGHT BE FORE MAILING OUT ROBINS AGAIN.
WAITING FOR PAM/PFG TO CONTACT ME BY THURSDAY.

SO DIANA IF YOU HAVE NOT MAILED PLEASE WAIT & DMAIL ME 1ST OK TY.

PFG are you watching us yet please dmail me when you can.
well just a scant of snow this morning
ansonfan
Polkton, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 27, 2011
12:55 PM

Post #8944382

Susie I'm glad I'm not the only one :). I have tried my best to keep up with these robins and its not as easy as it looks!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 27, 2011
1:21 PM

Post #8944415

Now you all can see & understand why I ask you all to please POST when the robins Land & depart then we all can get confused :))
i love doing these types of robins but they are harder to do when you have two at one time so from now on if we ever do another it will be with one robin only :)

it dose help to date the robins as to when they land & take off so you can tell how far away from you they are .

some of you have the second robin before you get the 1st robin for the west robin is in the east right now so you will NOT get a towel
from that side .

you all might be wondering why cris was getting both robins this week well #1 robin i believe missed her & also pam/pfg has been gone but should be back this week just waiting to be sure she will be home so we can send the robin back up her way.

well off to finish up supper ya all have a great evening.
susie
gardenseeder63
Concord, NH

December 27, 2011

Post #8944694

oh ok thank you carolyn for the beautiful towel lol box is on its way to new jersey to cris316 no worries
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

December 27, 2011
8:15 PM

Post #8944997

Hi all- I hope everyone had a great holiday. Mine was busy with family and quite rewarding, heading home tomorrow and looking forward to it after being away for so long.

We had Internet problems for the last several days so I got behind on the posts, but it looks like everyone has been enjoying themselves one way or another and especially enjoying the robins. I'm getting excited about my turn-- it's my first ever!

So deejay, please schedule me in, I'm ready!

Best to all...

Pam

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 28, 2011
5:06 AM

Post #8945167

WIND?DIANA if you get this before going to the post office we need you to send the robin to PFG please let us know ok.

well yesterday i started getting all my suplies out cleaned up & ready to start planting a few seeds . can hardly wait
well off to get me day started ya all have a great day . will check back in later
susie
bigtrot
Upper Marlboro, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 28, 2011
5:40 AM

Post #8945191

GM, yesterday I was sorting seeds into 3 bags. Garden bag, winter sowing bag and a bag for looking up before I could do anything with them. I also cleaned some more seed to include in the next Robin. Thank you George and Stephanie for your tips on cleaning seed. Mine are 99% better than before and all the chaffe that was left I took out and spread along the treeline...maybe I'll be flowers back there too.
Donna
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 28, 2011
6:07 AM

Post #8945207

Thats great Donna. I was working on some last night too in the garage. The purple cone flower. Tedious, that's for sure. Also thought about what kind of chair I can sit in when I do seed, that I am able to just move out to the yard in the spring and just let the chair grow :) Havent come up with one yet...lol

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 28, 2011
7:01 AM

Post #8945256

Steph - I'm trying to see that chair growing.

I've been frustrated with static cling and my giant gallon bag of symphotrichium pilosum/downy white aster. Wonder if I had some of that static guard spray . . ... I have a small bouquet of dead plant branches with seed heads on them that I collected while up in the Blue Ridge Mountains a month or so ago. I am going to post pictures of them in the plant ID forum to see if anyone can help me to ID them. One's a solidago for sure, of course they ALL belong to the aster family, or do they?

It doesn't matter to me what they are - they're native wildflowers and that's good enough for me to know.

In the meantime, every now and then I get too close and brush up against them. When I brought them back with me I put them in my coffee travel mug and the back of my car is full of seeds, so I hope it doesn't get too wet in there. This past summer, some errant sunflowers sprouted under the cover for the spare tire. I should have let them go. :D

Have a nice day everyone. I know that the hope of spring and talk of seed starting proves that I am an optimist at heart, despite all the hard living I did when I was a crabby trial lawyer. Thank goodness. I suppose I'd rather be an optimistic seed starter than a pessimistic trial lawyer. Let me remember that the next time I get bummed out about finances. ;)

A.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 28, 2011
8:24 AM

Post #8945336

gardening has a way of putting good thoughts in our head rather then winter time blues ;) i've been out sorting through the seeds
that i want to get started on. in a couple weeks. right now have to go start lunch for daddy .

back later of as for the chair that will grow . I Once took an old lawn chair padded it with sphagnum moss watered it well & planted
vines & petunias along with other plants it was the talk of the yard . haven;t done it in years i should make another thank you for reminding me of that :)
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 28, 2011
8:55 AM

Post #8945368

I need a chair I can bring in the house in the winter - to sit in and do seeds...then move it outside when it warms up and just let it grow. I suppose, with the right batting, any chair would do :)
Cris316
Port Norris, NJ
(Zone 7b)

December 28, 2011

Post #8945799

DeeJay,
Got a message from Garden Seeder that the seeds were on my way.
I'm so excited I would do a happy dance if I could lol

Cris

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

December 28, 2011
5:51 PM

Post #8945875

Hi Cris, ...and lots more coming your way asap!!! Last weekend was Christmas and had to go back to work Monday =/ I'm trying to go as fast as possible. I'll let you know as soon as the Robin East takes flight. I'm waiting to hear from Susie (Robin traffic control). I'm hoping tomorrow, or most definitely by Friday (I'm off) at the latest ^_^

Diana

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 28, 2011
7:57 PM

Post #8946041

Geeez, Cris - I wouldn't want to be in your shoes!!! ;)

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 29, 2011
6:11 AM

Post #8946358

WIND Sorry i wasn't able to get back on last night , But Would like for you to please send the robin to PFG if you will PLEASE .
that way CRIS Won't have the exspence of two robins in one week . Please let us know you have the message . Please

Wishing you all a warm day :)
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 29, 2011
9:12 AM

Post #8946532

Hey, does anyone have any tips for eas cleaning of coneflower? I am so sick of pricking my fingers. LoL And does anyone have Joe Pye weed seeds?
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 29, 2011
9:36 AM

Post #8946556

I have joepye - TONS!! and I have been cleaning coneflower too. I put it in a paper bag and crunch it. Then sift it in a strainer, pur it out and separate. Just got done with a bunch of purple last night.
Cris316
Port Norris, NJ
(Zone 7b)

December 29, 2011
11:17 AM

Post #8946626

Received the box today and hopefully will get it back out Saturday.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 29, 2011
11:31 AM

Post #8946637

Minne -

that is a great idea. I always ended up pricking my fingers until I had no feeling left in them! Wish I had thought of that, but then that is what we are all here for isn't it...

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 29, 2011
1:20 PM

Post #8946794

Cris Please check with me before sending it out I'm trying to fix the route so no one has both robins in the same week same time so just waiting to hear back from wind as to when she is sending & If she got my message to send to pam / PFG. so then i will have her send to wind & Then the robin will be back on track . I HOPE :)))
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 29, 2011
1:53 PM

Post #8946836

So then tell me the easiest way to clean my beebalm...I have 5 cups of flowers to clean...for about 3 oz of seed...hot pink, purple, red, Jacob Cline...ugh. Not looking forward to these.
Cris316
Port Norris, NJ
(Zone 7b)

December 29, 2011
3:24 PM

Post #8946924

Sure will DeeJay.
gardenseeder63
Concord, NH

December 29, 2011
3:59 PM

Post #8946951

minnie,i put a few flower heads in a small brown lunch bag close it and and shake skake shake then i cut a very small hole in the bottom of one corner of the bag and shake over a paper plate and they drop out.hope this helps,susan
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 29, 2011
4:21 PM

Post #8946973

I have tried shaking...nothing. I am thinking about putting them in my coffee grinder. I have enough in order to give it a try and not feel the loss. Tonight I think I will be working on the culver's root...blistering my fingers again.

Anita, did you want JoePye? I can send you some. Just let me know.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 29, 2011
6:01 PM

Post #8947044

Steph - you have made me the happiest seed collector on the plant by sending me some VEronicastrum.

Loveya girl. Thanks - I didn't realize you had to bloody your fingers.

xox
bigtrot
Upper Marlboro, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 29, 2011
6:10 PM

Post #8947052

Stephanie, if you have any left may I please have some Joe Pye. Thanks.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 29, 2011
6:37 PM

Post #8947079

Minne

I did not get anything out of my Jacob Cline either when I was trying to get seed, however I did in my tall native monarda. Not sure if Jacob Cline disperses seed early or not. I do think mine has increased by runners.

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

December 29, 2011
6:56 PM

Post #8947089

Hi Susie, got your message. No problem. I'm headed to the po tomorrow! Packing the seed stuffed goodie box up now =) too bad there aren't strrrrrrrretch boxes lol. It's quite full.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 30, 2011
5:12 AM

Post #8947337

ok ty sorry for the confusion & hope Now after the holidays hope we can get him straightened out . its crazy here this morning so back later today .

susie
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 30, 2011
6:53 AM

Post #8947452

Amanda - no blood, just blisters - and I didnt know it until I was done ;) Its all good.

Anita - I will clean some JP and send it to you soon. Mine get about 10-12 feet tall.. :) Hope they do as well for you. If the seeds end up not working out for some reason, I can send you some roots in the spring...I may even be able to do it now. Its been warm enough that I dont think the ground is frozen.

Carolyn, my Jacob Cline - I can feel the seed in the bottom - and if I rip apart each one, I can get a seed. Which is why I thought about the coffee grinder. I will give it a try.

I was going through all my seed last night. My DH made a comment that it will be my job to "re-flower" the world in a year. LOL! I said, well, maybe that is my purpose in life :)
I really need to find an EASY way to store my seed. I keep changing my mind - rearranging - I WILL find a way that will make me happy...someday. I also need to remember not to completely rely on my mother's memory anymore. I am gaining flower/seed knowledge just as fast as she is losing it. Maybe I am stealing it from her. I do know I have about 10 or so baggies of seed that I have NO clue what they are...seedsite here I come. :)

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 30, 2011
7:33 AM

Post #8947514

all my unknown seeds are out in their own little BED that way if they come up & Bloom then i will ID Them & save the seeds .
I planted them in their own bed just in case there is something the is unwanted in them :)

today i hope to start some seeds this afternoon it is rainy here today & That tells me it will be a good day to play inside.
well washer shut off so ya all have a great day .

Pam you should get the robin about TUESDAY .
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 30, 2011
7:35 AM

Post #8947521

Minne

I am wondering if perhaps I got to my JC too late and the seed had all dispersed...

I do love monarda. I finally broke down and ordered some online. I had been looking for white monarda for so long. I had it once years ago and loved it. It is rather an elusive color for monarda...
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 30, 2011
8:49 AM

Post #8947612

Didnt know it came in white...hmm...might have to add that one to the list :)
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 30, 2011
9:17 AM

Post #8947650

Minne

It was on my list for quite some time. I finally broke down and ordered it...

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/88832/
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2011
12:23 PM

Post #8947893

Minne, I would love some Joe Pye. I can send a sase if you dmail your address.
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 30, 2011
2:03 PM

Post #8948023

Amanda ~ I found a new, easier way to do coneflower!! Good thing too, I found more (Green Envy). Started with 6 flower heads and got MORE seed from those than I did the purple with double the flower heads. Lovin the Green Envy for seed! Hope it comes true from seed.
Here are some pics of my process - in case anyone else is interested too.

I will send anyone joepye who wants it. SASE is fine. Im in the trade tracker. Dmail me if you cant find me.

First step was to take the seed head and 'mash' it in the sifter

Thumbnail by minnesippi

minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 30, 2011
2:08 PM

Post #8948036

then once I had all the seed heads empty, I poured them all into the sifter and tapped it onto the cookie sheet. Little at a time and picked up the seeds and put them in a dixie cup, pushing the chaf to the side

Thumbnail by minnesippi

minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 30, 2011
2:09 PM

Post #8948040

And from 6 flower heads, I got a 2x2 baggie full :)

Thumbnail by minnesippi

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 30, 2011
6:39 PM

Post #8948392

Steph:

You're a peach for giving us the blow by blow with pictures to illustrate. I guess I just need more sifters/colanders of various sizes. I was a little perplexed with my Verbena bonariensis, for example, but I used a metal tea infuser for those tiny seeds. ha ha

Have a good night.

A.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 31, 2011
8:25 AM

Post #8948812

Ok I would like everyone to Look over the route that is post at top for the robins
if someone has a printer & can add the new list to the old list I Would appreciate it .

Right now both robins are in the east

cris316 Has the Robin that STARTED IN THE WEST So she DOSE NOT ADD a Towel for the TOWEL in there is for me " FROM ANITA" CRIS will send to WIND

WIND-- Just Sent the EAST Robin out to PFG & Should have added a Towel to this robin

If your Not sure you have the east or west robin Look at the top of this thread or call me i have my PHONE # In the robin . But Just check where it started from

well i have a chest cold & Can hardly sit up today so off to lay back will try to get back on later today .

susie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 31, 2011
8:56 AM

Post #8948844

Susie -

Robin looks good to me. I was concerned about getting the Robin too close together, but now I don't think that will happen.

Feel better soon. I just got over that at Christmas...

Carolyn

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 31, 2011
9:25 AM

Post #8948886

Thanks so much for your hard work on this Susie - I have really enjoyed it and sorry for being such a slug keeping the east robin from the west for so long. You gals out west are really on the ball! :)
ansonfan
Polkton, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 31, 2011
12:23 PM

Post #8949021

Thank you Susie, this is the first time I have really known where the robins were at in weeks. It is really easy to get confused when there is two, I totally get why you don't want to do that anymore.
I hope you feel better really soon. My prayers are with you dear.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 31, 2011
2:40 PM

Post #8949207

thank you all sorry if i sound confused also but we had one that is no longer with Dg & I Stated you have to be a member to receive the robin so please check your Subscription. :)

& Then there was one on a vacation so had to reroute & There were not as many on the west coast for the robin as in the east. but it will work out .

My brother took me to the ER I Have a Brochial pneumonia so i have got to stay out away from daddy for a few days & so if i do not get on much forgive me , I think i have it back in order for everyone if not please LMK . will check back in here in the morning . GOOD NITE ALL
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 31, 2011
5:10 PM

Post #8949364

Susie, rest and get better. Happy new year everyone.

poisondartfrog

poisondartfrog
Barbourville, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 1, 2012
5:04 AM

Post #8949686

Susie, that is nothing to mess around with! Take it easy for a bit and get yourself healthy.
Happy 2012!
Alana
gardenseeder63
Concord, NH

January 1, 2012

Post #8949712

were all praying for you!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 1, 2012
1:06 PM

Post #8950248

Susie

So true - pneumonia is not anything to monkey around with. Please do take care of yourself. Hopefully Jim can fill in for you with Daddy.

Please feel better and know you are in my prayers.
Cris316
Port Norris, NJ
(Zone 7b)

January 2, 2012
5:50 AM

Post #8951082

Susie, Sorry to hear you're so ill. Please take care of yourself.
Plenty of fluids along with the meds and bed rest so your lungs
don't have to work so hard. Hope you have a couple of good
books you can get lost in.

my prayers are with you,
Cris

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 2, 2012
10:08 AM

Post #8951391

AFTERNOON EVERYONE :) well my brother has me hooked up with all types of DVD's So I Don't get bored HAHA I Hate laying in Bed Doc wanted me to stay in the hospital but no can do ,so i will try to behave when there are things to be done But I Trust Jim Can take care of it &He has threadened me & is MUCH Bigger then I So
I Will stay in bed & Watch movies he is do ok caring for daddy Plus me He cooks & Brings me My Soup's :)
we don't want daddy getting sick so I will stay out here.

it hurts allot to sit up But I See you all Are wishing me well & I Hope it works soon.
HAPPY NEW YEAR I Miss You all
susie

NF2932

NF2932
Winnetka, CA

January 2, 2012

Post #8951485

Susie, it's nice to hear that your brother is taking care of you... I echo what the others said... rest, rest and rest... you don't want to push it and end up back in the hospital. Enjoy some time to heal and get strong for spring! Nancy
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 2, 2012
2:24 PM

Post #8951765

get better soon Susie!
ansonfan
Polkton, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 2, 2012
7:02 PM

Post #8952162

Brrrrrrrrrrrr
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

January 3, 2012
4:27 AM

Post #8952451

Oh Susie I'm so sorry to hear you are sick. It sounds like your brother has everything under control...Please take care of yourself and get better soon!

Wind emailed me, I should have the robin any day now. I'll let you know as soon as it arrives. I'm very excited!

Pam

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2012
10:44 AM

Post #8952861

Susie: GET WELL SOON! Hope you feel OK even sooner.

Amanda:
>> I've been frustrated with static cling and my giant gallon bag of symphotrichium pilosum/downy white aster. Wonder if I had some of that static guard spray . .

I read that you can reduce the static clin g inside a plastic by wiping the OUTSIDE with an anti-static dryer sheet. I never had one of those sheets to test with, but also never had seeds actually levitate enough to get OUT of a Ziploc. It's OK with me if they want to fly around inside it.

Steph:

I agree with you that, picking out the seeds one by one always works. I have some plastic-tipped tweezers that make it go faster. Like you, I try to get seeds partly free from chaff first, to make them easdier to find. I was pulling tiny Salvia seeds out of a TON of chaff once, and found that shaking it around sharply on a shallow tray or dish, like panning for gold, would sometimes encourage more seeds to come out of hiding. I would go after the visible ones with my tweezer, like a hen pecking at bugs. Then do some more panning until some more seeds 'appeared".

By the way: having some tiny low-sided cup like the paper that goesaround a muffin (or a shallow small bowl) right in the big tray where I'm pecking for seeds makes it go much faster. As soon as I get mky tweezers on a seed, I can flip it into the cup and move to the next visible seed in a second or two. Surprisingly, that's much faster than lifting the tweezer up from the tray and moving it aside to some other container, to drop each seed.

Sometimes I use a business card or credit card as a shovel or scraper to move the chaff around and expose tiny seeds.

And if no one's watching, I blow chaff from one part of the tray to another with a puff of breath - and I just don't care if a cloud of chaff winds up on the kitchen floor or even on a rug. I have to vacuum before visitors anyway, why not make it worthwhile?

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 3, 2012
1:34 PM

Post #8953062

corey wish i had the air to blow Since my Blood clot can't do that . Wonder if a fan or hair blower would work :)

hey everyone well Drs Office called early this morning & I Have Spent the WHOLE Day Up in the Hospital for Test Just got home to find Now they have to run another Ct scan only On My Pancreas tomorrow. I Feel & Look like well don't want to make you all sick Just Keep the T&P's Coming so i can get over this what ever it may be . ty all .

will try to get back when i can .
susie

bluespiral

bluespiral

(Zone 7a)

January 3, 2012
2:46 PM

Post #8953246

Susie, glad to hear that you're prioritizing your health, with Big Brother to ply you with DVDs and threats as the situation may call for them. Hope you get lots of rest and recover soon.
Cris316
Port Norris, NJ
(Zone 7b)

January 3, 2012
2:50 PM

Post #8953251

Diana - Wind,
The package will be on its way to you tomorrow.
Would have liked to hand deliver it so had an excuse to go to
Christmas Tree shops lol

Cris
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 3, 2012
4:05 PM

Post #8953367

Susie -

blood clot? Did you throw a pulmonary embolis? What are they doing about the clot? I know when I had pneumonia, I felt lousy enough as it was - but I didn't have the other problems, so you must really be feeling badly. I am sorry - I hope you feel better soon..

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

January 3, 2012
6:18 PM

Post #8953521

~ Get Well Wishes Susie ~ Make sure you get to know your dietitian. He or she will take good care of your nutrition needs under the circumstances.

Praying for you,
Diana

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

January 3, 2012
6:22 PM

Post #8953526

Cris come on down anytime! The only Christmas Tree Shops I've been in was on Cape Cod MA. I can't believe we have them here.

minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 3, 2012
7:07 PM

Post #8953573

Amanda - I found a worse seed to clean - Globe Thistle...YUK!! Gotta find a good way...
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

January 4, 2012
6:40 AM

Post #8954009

I got the robin yesterday-- wow!!! I can't believe how stuffed it is! I only hope I can fit everything back in! Meanwhile, I sit with my iPad next to me looking up the ones I'm not sure of. Mostly I'm taking a few seeds of this and a few of that, just to be adventurous, but there are also special finds that I've been craving for ages. What riches!

Minne- I agree, globe thistle is a bear. I read about the paper bag method too late, where you put the stalks in upside down and the seeds just fall out- does that actually work?! I had already broken up all the seed heads and sat in front of the tv several nights in a row picking seeds out of the chaff, spreading the thistle bits all of the house no matter how hard I tried to be neat. Ugh!

I'll be ready to send the bird flying by this afternoon...

Pam
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 4, 2012
7:01 AM

Post #8954035

no - the bag method hasnt worked for me with the thistle. I am using a spoon, pressing out (shooting out) the seed. lol..they are everywhere!

poisondartfrog

poisondartfrog
Barbourville, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2012
9:47 AM

Post #8954232

I have noticed that Globe Thistle, Monarda, Tithonia, Echinacea, and other rounded seed heads release their seeds more freely, no matter the method you use to extract them, if you roll the well dried heads briskly between thumb and forefinger first, sort of the way you massage an orange on the counter to release the juices.
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 4, 2012
9:58 AM

Post #8954240

Thats how I started with the GT - but got tired of the pricklies in my fingers...so just cuz, I lined them all up and started "smooshing" them with a spoon - rolling the back side of the spoon from the base of the "pod" toward the tip and POP - out the come. I will get more talented and use a rolling pin later :)
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 4, 2012
12:11 PM

Post #8954382

I hope you feel better soon Ms DJ. I will be giving you as call
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 4, 2012
12:18 PM

Post #8954385

Wanted to let those who wanted JoePye seed know...I cant find my picked seed in the house...wth?!?! I know I have a ton of it in a paper grocery bag - but for the life of me, I cant find it. Now that doesnt create a problem, I just need to go outside and pick some. But I wanted to give you a heads up it will be a few days before I get them out. :)
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 4, 2012
12:51 PM

Post #8954411

That's fine Minne. LoL My house is so torn uo I cannot find anything either. LoL Looks like it will be that way for a few more days.
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 4, 2012
1:09 PM

Post #8954434

stupid thing is, I saw them less than a week ago...I looked for about 45 minutes last night...no beans. My garden fairy must have stolen them. LOL!
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2012
1:51 PM

Post #8954491

How about putting the heads in the bad and then smoching them with the spoon? If I get a water leak in the house my carpet will sprout. I'm so messy still. Even counting seeds I lose half of them. I just thought that if you use a bag made out of something like cheesecloth, you could see the heads better and be able to wash the bag when needed.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 5, 2012
5:59 AM

Post #8955131

GM ALL just wanted to let ya know i started a new thread for us so pt4

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1236075/
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1236075/

will try to get back in later today . while being under the weather i have lost track of things please everyone sed to the person under your name

ON THIS FORUM do not go by the list in the robins i hear they are all messed up any questions when you get the robins feel
free to call me my # is in the robin .
susie
gardenseeder63
Concord, NH

January 5, 2012
6:23 AM

Post #8955142

oh cant wait pfg im next!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 5, 2012
8:25 AM

Post #8955224

Feel like a slug because I am dropping out of the second robin. :/

I will keep lurking on the thread tho' to get all this heady chat from Steph about how to beat the seed with a rolling pin.

The latest problem and why I figure I have too much on my plate is a major major plumbing problem. Luckily the LL has a homeowner warranty but until they get the part figured out about who is going to pay for what, I am stuck waiting for the phone or doorbell to ring.

I have more seeds for flowers that I have always wanted than I could have ever hoped for - I have really enjoyed participating and will again next year.

Thank you so much Susie - I hope all the good vibes and well wishes take over your body soon.

Loveya.
A.
xox
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 5, 2012
8:27 AM

Post #8955227

:(
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 5, 2012
8:56 AM

Post #8955269

Oh Amanda - that stinks.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 5, 2012
10:01 AM

Post #8955338

HA! It does - and I didn't even tell you that it's probably a sewage problem. :D
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

January 5, 2012
10:27 AM

Post #8955375

Oh Amanda, too bad! I just sent off the robin you contributed to, not before partaking of some of your bounty. So thank you, and good luck with your problem.

What a treat it is to share in so many harvests! I got things I didn't realize i needed, things I've read about but assumed would be too difficult to find, things that would be really cool in my garden that had never occurred to me before. I can't imagine what more could tempt me in #2-- but I bet I'll find something anyway. As it is, my seed starting resources will be quite strained this spring!

Susie, don't worry, I made a new list in the correct order to send to, and re-numbered the addresses to match. After Gardenseeder/Cris (I emailed Susan about it so she knows what to do), it matches the top of this thread (#4). So everything is fine here, just think about getting well.

Dreaming of spring...

Pam

Cris316
Port Norris, NJ
(Zone 7b)

January 11, 2012
6:45 AM

Post #8963164

Just to keep this updated. The West to East left me on Jan 4th and
got to Wind (Diana) on the 6th. Hope others will post when they
receive and send so Susie won't have to worry.

Cris

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2012
7:27 AM

Post #8963190

ty CRIS I hope i have it updated its as close as i can guess .

IT WOULD Help ALLOT If you all would Please POST HERE When The ROBIN Lands & When It Is BACK IN FLIGHT
you can send me the conf# After you have Put the robin back in the air .
just post to let us all know & then there should be No confusion as to where they are .

well today is our last day of 50's with possible 3-5" of old man winter to hit us tomorrow so off to town to get suplies
well not me but Jim is going in but i need a list , so ya all have a great day .
susie

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

January 11, 2012
5:00 PM

Post #8963943

Hi Cris and Susie, I thought we were posting on pt 4 thread now >>> see above Post #8955131

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2012
5:33 PM

Post #8964013

YES SORRY FOR NO LOOKING GO TO PT 4

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Seed Trading Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My seeds Holly 7 Dec 7, 2010 4:21 AM
wanted orange coneflower SEEDLADY 22 Aug 31, 2007 5:28 AM
Have: Primula Elatior, Mesembryanthemum, Cuphea Ignea babalu 9 May 3, 2010 10:57 AM
looking for mimosa tree seeds (pods) jishro 53 Jan 20, 2011 5:03 PM
Another source for SASE seeds Terry 32 Jun 7, 2011 8:05 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America