AuthorContent
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

November 7, 2011
1:47 PM

Post #8880422

found this bedroom set at the flea market $50.00
this will be the vanity for the bathroom still trying to decide on what type of bowl sink I'm going to use.

Thumbnail by denimangle
Click the image for an enlarged view.

denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

November 7, 2011
1:49 PM

Post #8880428

mirror

Thumbnail by denimangle

denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

November 7, 2011
1:51 PM

Post #8880432

the dresser will also go in to hold towels etc.

Thumbnail by denimangle

frogymon
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9a)

November 7, 2011
1:54 PM

Post #8880441

I'd recommend a vessel sink, maybe a dark glass.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

November 7, 2011
1:54 PM

Post #8880442

the bed frame I think ill make a bench out of

Thumbnail by denimangle

denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

November 7, 2011
2:02 PM

Post #8880462

Oh yes it will be a vessel .. just not sure what it will be made of .. glass, wood , copper etc.. a local guy carved a sink for his guest bath it was AWESOME...
im having thoughts of doing something like that ..

im not sure how old this set is . but its in very good condition and very well made
this is the side of one of the vanity drawers

Thumbnail by denimangle

Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

November 7, 2011
2:29 PM

Post #8880505

What a lovely accent for the floor! I am in AWE and just a little green. ;)
frogymon
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9a)

November 7, 2011
2:51 PM

Post #8880541

The style indicates late 40's-early 50's.
kanuallc
Lorena, TX

November 7, 2011
2:59 PM

Post #8880564

just when I was starting to get back to normal color...you do it again!!!! our forecast is for severe storms so this time my green glow will maybe not be so noticeable...LOL

awesome...floor...furniture...everything...

not sure I can stand any more!!!!!
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

November 7, 2011
4:14 PM

Post #8880646

thank you all

thanks for dating Frogymon I knew it was old
now getting an age range do I want to cut holes in the vanity ... hmmmm
or use it as a bedroom set ..

Kanuallc hunker down.. they are saying its going to be bad over your way .. we won't get any till tomorrow afternoon
Wait till you see the walls ...lol
justmeLisa
Brewers, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 7, 2011
5:29 PM

Post #8880749

Absolutely beautiful!
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

November 7, 2011
6:13 PM

Post #8880798

Lisa, Have you shown Jesse the pictures of her floor? You guys might want to try something like that too.
frogymon
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9a)

November 7, 2011
8:47 PM

Post #8880982

Go for it; we've been looking for a piece like that for 2 yrs.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 8, 2011
4:35 AM

Post #8881199

It's going to be just beautiful! Those are my kind of bathroom furnishings! To me those are real treasures.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

November 8, 2011
5:36 AM

Post #8881270

I am like you and don't think I would cut a hole in that dresser. I would use it in its entirety as an actual bedroom suite. I would start a search for one that doesn't have the whole set with it and cut that one.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

November 8, 2011
5:53 AM

Post #8881288

frogy we use to have a booth at a fleamarket and someone setup across from us one weekend I saw it from across the road, I thought it was just the vanity went to look and was shocked to find the whole set grabbed it up not evening really looking at it . its been sitting here for about 2 years .these are the first pictures I have taken.
the more I look the nicer it is :)

thanks Billy

Elena im thinking more that way ..
DH will do the cutting if its cut .. I dont think I could do it ...lol its such a nice set but it is only a full size bed and all our kids are at least 6' tall ... my son is 6'8" might not want to stay at moms hahaha!!!
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

November 8, 2011
6:33 AM

Post #8881340

If you aren't going to use the set because of the width, you are probably not going to hurt things by going ahead and using it. My kids are all tall also. I am the runt in the family and I am shrinking all the time. I used to be tall for a girl but no longer. Now I look like a dwarf when we have family gatherings. As long as I still have a strong voice and lots of spunk nobody dares pick on me however. LOL!
kanuallc
Lorena, TX

November 8, 2011
6:34 AM

Post #8881341

everything you've done has been so "right" that I think if you bought it for this purpose...how could you not???? those sets are still around so if you ever want to use one "as is"...I have re-made side rails on older beds to fit longer mattress.

whichever way you go...can't wait to see...I'm getting used to being GREEN !!!! LOL
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

November 8, 2011
6:42 AM

Post #8881346

:) @ kanuallc

I still have time to think about this .. have to get the walls up first & redo the clawfoot tub
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

November 8, 2011
6:43 AM

Post #8881347

That is an excellent idea to make new rails. We have a really old homemade oak bed that was much shorter than our beds are these days and hubby made new rails for it many years ago.
kanuallc
Lorena, TX

November 8, 2011
6:53 AM

Post #8881354

oh yeah...THE WALLS...can we just stop with all the waiting and let me come live in your bathroom?????
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

November 8, 2011
7:03 AM

Post #8881363

I love the idea of using it in the bathroom.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

November 8, 2011
7:12 AM

Post #8881371

The Walls were given to me by friends that tour down a 100+ year old barn They were going to burn it all Yikes I almost passed out ...lol
they just gave me that look .. y'all know they look ...hahaha

they now bring me lots of cool things like door nobs
kanuallc
Lorena, TX

November 8, 2011
8:24 AM

Post #8881451

I quit...resigned to stay green.

door knobs...towel holders...robe hooks...etc...
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

November 8, 2011
8:28 AM

Post #8881458

Yes, yes & yes ...lol
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

November 8, 2011
8:39 AM

Post #8881469

I love the look... I get that more often than you could ever imagine.
I was green long before Kermit or most folks were. It stems from the saying that my mother always used, "Necessity is the mother of invention." I don't and never have bought NEW unless it is something I can't find otherwise with a little scouting around.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 8, 2011
8:55 AM

Post #8881487

Cracking up, I read everything, and agree!

Elena, my quote is ''waste not, want not." I used it before I fully understood it :o)

Being green first is cool!
kanuallc
Lorena, TX

November 8, 2011
10:00 AM

Post #8881558

sorry...altho I do "live green" as much as possible, my being green on this thread is all my envy at all the fantastic things denim is doing !!!!
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

November 8, 2011
11:43 AM

Post #8881669

hahaha
I was born into recycler My grandfather would of been called a horder ..lol but he sure had some great stuff ..I guess it was gum wrapers then pop tops when I was a kid
then I started with blue jeans making quilts I had to find things to do with all the jean scrapd.. & did. then when I started doing wood work I would hit the builders for their wood trash .. they sure toss a lot of good wood out .
meeting a lady in the morning She has glass for me ... and then run to the next town to pickup more barn tin ...it has taken a bit to get hubby on board .. but he is comming around:)
I don't tell him its green .. just look at all the money I saved
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

November 8, 2011
12:20 PM

Post #8881708

I love that furniture as bathroom fixtures! If you ever want it as bedroom furniture again you could rework it in no time.
btw, that funny glow in the west is me glowing green with envy at your talents & what you've produced☺
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

November 8, 2011
1:19 PM

Post #8881800

June there will be 2 holes cut in the top so its all or nothing ...lol and I don't think I would ever change it ..
J2222
Southern California, CA

November 8, 2011
3:45 PM

Post #8881987

That furniture will be great in your bathroom. I would not hesitate to cut into it, unless you *need* a bedroom set. It would be a nice bedroom set, as well. The furniture sort of has a cowboy feel like the Coronado or Monterey or California Spanish Revival Style that is becoming so popular toady. A green glow coming from me in California, too!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

November 8, 2011
4:43 PM

Post #8882104

Denim , I was born in 1938 and Mother had a bedroom set like that . I got it when Daddy moved to a smaller place . (She left it with him when they divorced ) . My husband left it out in the rain for two weeks when I was visiting Mother , right after I got it and hadn't moved it in yet. He went and picked it up for me while I was gone . It was veneer and it ended up in the burn pile . I never did forgive him for that .
If I can talk Present D H into going back home I- 20 instead of I -10 , this next April ,I sure would like an invite to stop by and see your home .That would give me an excuse to get a fruit cake in Corsicana.lol
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

November 8, 2011
5:00 PM

Post #8882131

Wow that even older then I thought it may give me chills to cut holes in the top .
Twist his arm and come on down ... we are about 40 miles south of the yummy fritcake ( its the only fruit cake I will eat. This time of year they have all kinds of samples set out DH like to graze the store hahaha!!
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

November 8, 2011
5:06 PM

Post #8882141

You can buy those fruitcakes online. They are the delight of our Christmas eating (Third place to justmelisa's pralines and Melody's fudge.). I like to buy hubby one of their regular ones and he gets me one of their apricot cakes. It is an expensive luxury that we haven't indulged in for several years. I might just surprise him with one on Christmas Day and maybe it will be too late for him to buy me one. (Darn they are costly!) Tee hee.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

November 8, 2011
5:08 PM

Post #8882147

Oh, dear me! I WANT a fruitcake this year but don't want to spend that kind of money. I would dearly love to graze my way around their store. I would be there all the time like a stray cat or dog.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

November 8, 2011
5:19 PM

Post #8882162

Thanks Denim .
When I was just a young girl , about 7 or 8 , my dad introduced me to those fruitcakes . He said they were the only ones that were real , and the best . If anyone looks at the list of ingrediants , Pecans are first !
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

November 8, 2011
5:30 PM

Post #8882170

Elena, DH would be too I have to keep him away ...lol the cakes are spendy for sure

Sally when was the last time you were there .. they have so many different kinds now its crazy and they are ALL GOOD ...
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

November 8, 2011
5:54 PM

Post #8882191

about four or five years ago . We talked about them opening the new store close to I-35 and Hwy 31 . Can't remember which city it is . That's the spring after we were there .When I sold my house in Ark . I don't have any reason to go that way any more, except to see what's changed .The distance is about the same . Johnny likes to stop in south La and get boudin and cracklins . We got about six different cookies but the shortbread was my favorite
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

November 8, 2011
6:38 PM

Post #8882249

Apricots are my favorite fruit and that is why I am so addicted to the apricot ones. Guess this is a good time to try to cure and addiction, huh???? :>(
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 8, 2011
6:54 PM

Post #8882271

I think the idea for the vanity will be awesome! Can't wait to see it. We did a similar project a number of years ago.

When my mom passed I took home a favorite ceramic piece of hers...this lucky elephant. We were about to embark on creating a guest half bath and I decided to use this piece as an anchor for the project.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 8, 2011
6:56 PM

Post #8882272

I found this small buffet at a flea market in Atlanta and did some magic on it.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 8, 2011
6:59 PM

Post #8882279

Then I found a company (I think in Idaho) that does sand cast bronze and had the faucet set made. So it's not one of those sets that's finished to look like bronze, it's bronze. The sink is Kohler. I liked the way the sink had ridges going down the sides like an elephant's trunk.

This message was edited Nov 8, 2011 10:01 PM

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 8, 2011
7:06 PM

Post #8882289

When I found affordable lighting I liked it hung on plain, white vinyl cords. I went through my fabric stash and found some velveteen. I made fabric tubing to cover the cords and resemble the elephant's trunk too.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 8, 2011
7:07 PM

Post #8882291

I found the mirror in a shop that sells arts and crafts from developing nations. The mirror is made from scrap tin cans and comes from Haiti.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 8, 2011
7:14 PM

Post #8882300

I found an over order of Italian tile and layed it myself in a herringbone pattern. I also found some leftover tumbled marble to use as the smaller 4"x4" bands. I have a lot of fun with tile. It was so funny when the inspector came because I was in the middle of laying the floor and SO was putting a copper standing seam roof on the entry. The inspector wanted to know where the homeowners were and wouldn't believe it was us. lol

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 8, 2011
7:15 PM

Post #8882304

The potty is behind the knee wall. SO did all the trim work.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 8, 2011
7:16 PM

Post #8882307

Forgot the pic...

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 8, 2011
7:18 PM

Post #8882313

We do plumbing but I called in a plumber to do this job. Considering all the work I put into it I wanted the hook ups in copper. My SO and the plumber agreed I was crazy.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 8, 2011
7:21 PM

Post #8882319

Not crazy, just exacting. I lined the drawers in felt.

This bathroom is now more than ten years old and I love it as much today as the day it was finished.

denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

November 8, 2011
7:46 PM

Post #8882353

Digger they did open a store in Waco this year ..on 35

MaypopLaurel love the buffet , your bath came out great
I under stand the copper ..& the fact you want what you want ..
DH has input in most other rooms in the house but not in this bath (or my Quilt Studio or the kitchen as he doesnt cook ) lol
kanuallc
Lorena, TX

November 9, 2011
4:31 AM

Post #8882638

where's the cake??? I'm 5 miles south of Waco...here for 2yrs. and I missed cake??? name PLEEZ...will check it out and let you know if it's any good!!!!! LOL
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

November 9, 2011
5:40 AM

Post #8882695

Kanuallc. its Collin Street bakery the fruit cake place OH ITS GOOD !!!!...LOL
kanuallc
Lorena, TX

November 9, 2011
5:59 AM

Post #8882725

thank you! saw a bill-board on I-35 and wondered about it...now I know what we are doing Saturday!
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

November 9, 2011
6:00 AM

Post #8882726

http://www.collinstreet.com/
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

November 9, 2011
6:07 AM

Post #8882740

Kanu , it isn't a trip , it's an adventure . Prices are high , compared to other pastries , but the quality and ingrediants are the finest . The pecans on top of each cake are hand set and not a broken one in the bunch !
Yeah , Waco , I was having a senior moment last night .
kanuallc
Lorena, TX

November 9, 2011
6:14 AM

Post #8882756

an "adventure" is what we do several wkends a month since being transferred here...we rarely plan, just start driving! have poked around in small towns all around this area...and found some we go back to. Reisel is a favorite for antiques...Jake & Boos Backdoor BBQ & Antiques is a must!!!!!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

November 9, 2011
7:14 AM

Post #8882822

You're my kind of people . It is an adventure to experience Collin St Bakery
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

November 9, 2011
7:28 AM

Post #8882842

Be prepared! Addictions can be formed very quickly!!!! Junking, dumpster diving, yard sales, flea markets, and now Collin Street fruitcakes...Oh, MY!!!!!
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

November 9, 2011
9:48 AM

Post #8883001

lol I have all of the above...& a few more lol
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

November 9, 2011
10:55 AM

Post #8883058

You also have gardening addictions as do I, plus crafting addictions that take many forms, and if I try hard I could probably go on for weeks with the list... Ain't it fun?????
kanuallc
Lorena, TX

November 9, 2011
11:52 AM

Post #8883116

I thot all the above were requirements to be on DG !!!!!
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

November 9, 2011
2:18 PM

Post #8883334

Well I have been telling DH what everyone has been saying about the bedroom set so today he goes in & starts looking for a date or some kind of marking .. . none that we can find but he turns to me and says you could just use this in one of the bedrooms & look for another one for the bathroom ...lol
he thinks its all hand made & that I might not want to cut holes in the top ..

Thumbnail by denimangle

frogymon
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9a)

November 9, 2011
2:23 PM

Post #8883342

Denim, those are definitely machine cut dovetails, indicating mass production, not handmade.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

November 9, 2011
2:58 PM

Post #8883379

I am forever seeing individual pieces of furniture at yard sales that aren't part of a set. If I were you, I would keep looking. In fact I have two washstands in my barn right now waiting to be refinished. We have nowhere for them but I couldn't resist the price. That is why I don't have one little nook or cranny in any of my storage areas any longer because I can't resist a bargain. Can anyone see another addiction here???
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

November 9, 2011
3:10 PM

Post #8883404

Thank goodness , I'm normal , just like you all .
I spent the day volunteering at the fire dept rummage sale . It starts Fri and I found one of those folding ladders that can be used as a scaffold I hope I can grab it first when they open the gates . 20.00 bucks .I'll be there again tomorrow helping to price stuff. I'm working in the electrical and plumbing dept .
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

November 9, 2011
3:53 PM

Post #8883512

Use self control, digger, whatever that is...
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

November 9, 2011
5:13 PM

Post #8883682

You'll have to define that for me .Sounds like you don't know either . Where did you hear those big words ? lol
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

November 9, 2011
9:21 PM

Post #8884149

Maybe we can get an interpreter to help us figure it out. I don't expect anyone on this thread will know either.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

November 9, 2011
11:20 PM

Post #8884228

Giggle
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

November 10, 2011

Post #8884370

self control isn't that when you don't buy more then you can fit in the car/truck ...lol
DH likes to take me shopping when we are on the Harley :(
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

November 10, 2011
5:55 AM

Post #8884397

I guess I would have the Harley loaded down like those funny pictures you see of folks in the Orient carrying huge loads on small vehicles, bicycles, carts, etc.

Thumbnail by Elena

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

November 10, 2011
6:15 AM

Post #8884412

Self control ? Our local H E B (in Texas only)had t-bones for 3.68 ,three in pack, limit , two per customer . Bought two , DH bought two . Later , in week repeated the buy . Last night , got NY strips for2.98 lb. Got another two each . They were all about 3/4 " to 1 " thick and nicely trimmed, three to a pack . I couldn't resist , at home , a swinging , grass fed , no hormones beef is at the cheapest , 2.25 cents a pound . I didn't have to cut it up or package it , and shoot , my time and labor is worth something . I think I'm set for awhile , with deer for hamburger and stew . I'll buy their sales and transport meat back for the summer in Georgia.
I know that has nothing to do with T to T. but it was a good find and I think a good buy . Certainly shows how much self control I have .
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

November 10, 2011
6:34 AM

Post #8884445

I do the same thing ...lol of Hobby lobby coupons . make DH go in too .. use to make the kids stand in line .. they hated going shopping with me but sure liked to eat haha!!

well after sleeping on it and doing some internet shopping Im going to use the set as planned .. don't think I could find anything as cheap & in as good a shape. it should stand the test of time :)
now on to a sink hmmm

This message was edited Nov 10, 2011 10:05 AM
J2222
Southern California, CA

November 11, 2011
6:00 PM

Post #8886507

MayPopLlaurel: thanks for the photos. Your bathroom came out beautifully...attention to detail is beautifully evident from starting with the elephant and tying him into the sink and lights to bronze fixtures and copper plumbing and felt lined drawers!! Did your DD do the lovely ceramic vase? beautiful colors!!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 12, 2011
3:30 PM

Post #8887485

Thank you for such high praise, J2... . The vase is Italian glass.

Great photo, Elena!

Denim, it was a painful decision to put the holes in my buffet but I decided that if/when we move I'd go to Home Depot and get a free-standing vanity and take my piece with me. In fact, I've got plans for a number of items in the house. Which brings me to...

If you are not sure you will spend your lifetime in a residence and get into designing and handcrafting your space, be careful not to be so emotionally tied to what you've created it becomes difficult to let go. We find ourselves in that position now.

Sally, sounds like you're having lots of fun in Tex. I'm here in Miami eating Cuban and Jamaican for a few weeks. That and getting this house ready to sell.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

November 13, 2011
12:09 PM

Post #8888478

Maypop
As it stands right now I will die in this house, We have in soo many places no need to ever move again .. we are retired & this is where we want to be ..
every bit of this house has been hand done by us from the dire to the roof so it would be really hard not to be emotionally tied
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

November 13, 2011
1:07 PM

Post #8888540

I had grown tired of moving so much my entire life when we finally got to this house. It was in terrible shape after being rented for many years. It was the only place we could find to rent and we had to have a home since he has been working here six months already. I sat and cried my heart out when I saw what he had rented. The landlord provided the supplies and we started to fix it up ourselves. After several years we discovered we didn't want to leave our neighborhood, the school and the church so we bought it. I told my husband then that when I left this house for good it would be feet first. We have been adding on and fixing for over 43 years and no way do I want to start over anywhere else. It is not my dream home but it is HOME!

This message was edited Nov 13, 2011 7:31 PM
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

November 13, 2011
1:38 PM

Post #8888599

we bought this place in 02 DH was still working & we parked the mobile (in the only spot that was cleared) hooked up the RV & went to CO for a year, then to WYfor another year... 2 years later DH retired we came home and started clearing . lots of blood sweat & tears in this place of ours

This message was edited Nov 17, 2011 6:34 PM
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

November 13, 2011
5:37 PM

Post #8888955

You will probably be like me and not want to ever leave!!!! I can do it if I have to, but I won't want to. One daughter lives directly behind me and the other one lives three miles away, That should pretty much help things if they ever think we need to leave. It will make it much easier to watch over us. We own the house that the other daughter lives in (rent free for years and she will inherit it...) and we created a nice basement apartment there that we have always rented. If we ever need it, it will be there for us if it makes more sense to have someone in the house watching over us. That is about as far ahead as we can prepare but hopefully something will work for us in one of those directions.
justmeLisa
Brewers, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 17, 2011
4:11 PM

Post #8894687

I can relate deni. I sure can relate.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 17, 2011
4:39 PM

Post #8894705

We bought our house in the city twenty six years ago. Since then we doubled the size, re-architected and remodeled the interiors, added decks, and built an outdoor kitchen and pizza oven. I drew all the plans including the electrical and HVAC. I have drafting training though am not an architect. We had help along the way but we wired, plumbed, hung sheet rock, tiled, painted and built the outdoor kitchen with homeowner's permits. Five years later we found an abandoned A-frame in the country on ten acres with a pond. We were still knee deep in the DIY at the Atlanta house but this cottage called to us. It had been foreclosed. We bought it and named it Maypop. We added seven more acres a few years later. Both places always have projects going. We have one foot in the city and one foot in the country. Both places have advantages and disadvantages. Most of our friends, family, social life, work and religious affiliations are in the city but our garden and preferred lifestyle are in the country. Sooner or later we'll have to choose. Or maybe they'll bring me out of one house or the other feet first. :>)
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

November 17, 2011
7:25 PM

Post #8894969

Maybe feet first will be your ultimate move but in the meantime maybe you can continue loving both properties.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

November 18, 2011

Post #8895300

I absolutely love visiting at Maypop . Woods all around , Beautiful , open floor plan and Private , private , private .Her back deck is a place where you can overlook the pond and get in touch with yourself and nature . So far it's been mainly at her R U's , but maybe next year I can capture her for a short visit .
She has a touch for turning trash into treasure , with her fence and gate entrance , other little things that really pop when you drive up to the house . And I mean UP !
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 19, 2011
3:09 PM

Post #8897376

Sally, you're welcome to put your feet up on the porch and enjoy the view at Maypop anytime. Thank you for all those kind comments. Are you off T&Ting in Texas now? We just got back to Atlanta last night after spending a week working on the Miami house. We've got a full house for Thanksgiving and you know everything here is made from scratch. I'm gonna plotz!

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

November 20, 2011
6:52 AM

Post #8898373

Thanks , Laurel and I'm going to take some time for my pleasures next year .We've put up a chain link fence in the 20 days we've been here in Tex .Looks GOOD!
J2222
Southern California, CA

November 20, 2011
12:18 PM

Post #8898728

Maypop: beautiful picture of your place in the woods...
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 21, 2011
6:28 PM

Post #8900686

Thanks. We are looking forward to a few days there starting the day after TG. Feet up and a nice fire in the fireplace. I still have onions to plant and am harvesting greens.

Denim, what's happening with the new sink stand? Have you picked a sink yet?
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

November 21, 2011
6:37 PM

Post #8900710

maypop still looking for just the right sink . its kind of ADD around here move from room to room doing this and that . right now im working on hand made wood switch & plug covers I need about 112 of them making them from scraps of cedar & blue pine

This message was edited Nov 22, 2011 8:48 PM
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 22, 2011
6:13 PM

Post #8902011

I was doing the bathroom in another house and originally looking for an old enameled roaster to convert to a sink. I found one in a very cool green but the dealer was asking an outrageous price. Still, think outside the box. You can always use anything that would be a basin.
Fleur_2011
Yucaipa, CA
(Zone 10a)

March 13, 2012
3:22 AM

Post #9040622

@MaypopLaurel ~ I know your thread is from last year, but I saw what you did when you remodeled your bathroom. Very impressive! I've got a mobile home that I bought back in 2006 or 2007 [was manufactured in 1977]. I'm in the process of renovating / remodeling one room at a time. However, I've been working on both the kitchen and back bathroom at the same time; not the same day, but concurrently. I also like to adhere to the rules of the three "R's" ~ "Reduce, Recycle & Re-purpose." I've got 3/4 of the walls painted in the back bathroom and have ripped out the old medicine cabinet that was there. Now I'm trying to trim down the area so I can fit the drywall patch I bought to cover up the hole. I've got somewhat of an "eclectic" taste when it comes to decorating and like to search for antique style pieces that are still in good shape but not expensive.

My question for you is where do you begin to look for something like this to use as a bathroom vanity sink combo? I'd like to use an old dresser or cabinet as a vanity replacement in the back bathroom, it has to have doors, no drawers as I will also be installing a water filter system under there to connect to the water supply line. My fridge has the ice maker, not yet working, but is backed up against the other side of the wall where the bathroom sink is now positioned. I've looked at the prices of the vanity combos at both Home Depot & Lowe's, only found one that I liked and wasn't too high priced. I've looked at those companies that get the furniture from hotels and model homes, but the prices or the look is not what I want. I don't often see that kind of furniture at the yard sales around where I live and haven't seen anything at the local thrift stores that look very well made.

I do know that it has to be real wood and not that particle board crap. Mostly everything you buy that has to be "assembled" these days is made from that stuff. I'm trying to get away from that and buy "real" wood when I can. I'm still looking around for that 'old' furniture piece. I'm slowly ripping things out of there one-by-one. Everything in the back bathroom is being replaced, except for the window. I already have the light fixture and my bag of supplies sitting next to the toilet. I'm an avid DIYer and like to stay "green" whenever possible. Any ideas or advice on where to look for a desk or cabinet I can "repurpose" ? I've got the 'oak' theme going on in there, so want to stay close to that wood color.

Thanks for the great ideas and I hope to hear from you soon. Have a good day!
frogymon
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9a)

March 13, 2012
6:24 AM

Post #9040771

Have you looked @ local auctions? I used to deal antiques and often found old pieces from the 20's to 50's for under $100 that sold for 2x-3x once refinished/reconditioned.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2012
1:13 PM

Post #9041325

Some good places to look for finds are at Habitat For Humanity resale shops. You can find locations on line. St. Vincent de Paul (sp?) thrift shops, Goodwill and Craig's list listings for old furniture. My daughter picks up tons of great stuff for free or close to it from Craig's list and does amazing things with the pieces. In going outside the box you might try something like my photos below. We tore out the pine kitchen and bathroom cabinets twenty years ago and had solid oak cabinets built by a local cabinet maker. The old pine cabinets lived in the basement for years. A while back we sanded what had been a vanity sink base and I asked SO to create an angled leg that would give the look of forties/fifties furniture. I still need to finish it. The doors are stowed for now. I plan on doing a layered, hand rubbed finish and putting a slate top on it. It serves as a "catch all" at the bottom of our main floor staircase. You can see it's already getting a workout after a busy week. I found the mirror and will match the finish to that. It can be moved or sold as a set later on and would make a nice small buffet. 'Scuse my dust bunnies. :)

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
Click an image for an enlarged view.

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

March 14, 2012
7:37 AM

Post #9042291

Did she mention she also laid the tile in her upstairs bathroom ? Been there , saw it , and it's beautiful ! Has the 40's look .
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

March 14, 2012
12:59 PM

Post #9042678

heres what going on in the bath now ..

Fleur this is a new build not a remodeled and its still going on .. we are doing all the work so its slow going . will be 3 years in June . I found the bedroom set at the fleamarket that we use to setup at gave $50.00 for the whole set ...& was going to first use it in one of the guest rooms had it about a year before deciding to use it in the bath also look at the .
The Habitat store most are called restores you can find lots of great deals there but buy it when you see it or it will be gone

Thumbnail by denimangle   Thumbnail by denimangle

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 14, 2012
2:05 PM

Post #9042767

Hey, Sally, time to come back to Georgia and get your garden started!

Denim, you are coming along but goodness doesn't it take forever? It's looking good.

The bathroom Sally is talking about was the children's bathroom at our cottage. The upstairs is now guest and studio space so time for a more grownup look. The tile was good tile but a salvage end lot. I took two colors and created a design. I repurposed the original cheapo plywood vanity by going over the thin plywood doors with beaded pine (left over from doing the walls) and then framing the bead board for a recessed door look. I made the cabinet eight inches wider with a magazine rack and toilet paper storage on the toilet side. It's painted an almost black shade of charcoal. SO laminated solid two by and I finished it. The old sink was reused with a new faucet set. The plan is to create a frame for the mirror that drops all the way down to the counter to resemble an old time washstand vanity. I'll repaint and style the old light fixtures and mount them to the mirror frame.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

March 25, 2012
5:17 PM

Post #9056758

it will be 3 years in June .. when we started we said we can do this in 3 years .. not sure we will make that but it won't be much longer after that..
can't find the wood sink I want so I bought a copper one

Thumbnail by denimangle

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

March 25, 2012
7:08 PM

Post #9056930

That is sharp !
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

March 25, 2012
7:15 PM

Post #9056939

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2012
8:41 PM

Post #9057002

Love it!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2012
5:05 AM

Post #9057187

SCORE!!!!!
SawmillLady
Bullard, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 23, 2012
10:39 AM

Post #9094474

I know I am a year late and always a dollar short. I saw you dresser and it reminded me of a idea I saw on a sight called pinterest. Here is how they did there's. I hope it gives you more ideas.

Thumbnail by SawmillLady

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

April 23, 2012
4:41 PM

Post #9094975

Sawmill , Ida never thunk it ! FAB .

ecnalg

ecnalg
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 23, 2012
5:51 PM

Post #9095093

Wow! You'd never guess that the tall dresser came from that desk, and I love the way they did the top.
Fleur_2011
Yucaipa, CA
(Zone 10a)

April 24, 2012
3:44 AM

Post #9095478

@ MaypopLaurel ~ The pics of the dresser you posted is very similar to what I've got in mind for my renovation of my back bathroom. It has the doors in the front that I want and looks to have at least 2 small drawers to keep toiletries organized. Where did you find this dresser? The top you used for your dresser, looks like a piece of butcher block style wood, am I correct? The dresser looks to have either a country or cottage look to it, which is what I'm after for a finished look. My finish will be similar to the "oak" that I've presently got in there. The size of the vanity/sink combo has a width of 36" side-to-side. I'm not sure if I want to put another vanity top on that wide, maybe 30"-34"; I know the top is what gives it the overall width after taking "overhang" dimensions into consideration. I've also considered putting up bead board 1/2 way up the walls [from bottom up], topped with chair railing, once all the painting has been done.

I've got 2 boxes of ceramic tile left over from the hallway bathroom remodel, so will be using that for the back bathroom. Once I get the new bathroom light fixtures up and the hole in the wall patched up [from ripping out old medicine cabinet], then I'll start looking around for the 'new' bathroom vanity/sink combo. I can keep that somewhere, while the new tile floor is being put in. My place is a constant work in progress that is also taking more time than estimated, primarily to lack of funds & time. I'm currently unemployed, also busy with my photography work in art shows, looking for a F/T job and trying to remodel my place. Don't have a SO in the picture, so everything is being done by me. Everything in this back bathroom is being replaced, except the window.

@denimangle & MaypopLaurel ~ thanks for the suggestions on where to look for this piece of furniture I'm in search of. I wrote down the names of the St. Vincent De Paul & Habitat for Humanity, so I won't forget the names. I haven't tried Craigslist yet, but after seeing the "slightly used" Cherrywood dining set w/chairs that my daughter & her fiance bought last night for $180, maybe I'll give it a look. I do frequent the local thrift shops in my area and find that one shop may carry more furniture than the other. I find that the Goodwill has more clothes, knick knacks, etc., while the Salvation Army just a few blocks down will have more furniture items. Mostly couches and chairs, very seldom large pieces of furniture like dressers or cabinets that I'm looking for.

Thanks to y'all for the suggestions. If I get lucky enough to find what I'm looking for, then will let y'all know. Until then, have a safe, happy and productive week! Chat at ya later!

Jennie
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

April 24, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #9095831

sawmillLady
Thanks for the picture of the desk I do need a tall corner piece .. this kist might work :)
now to find an old desk
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 24, 2012
4:05 PM

Post #9096278

Sawmill, very interesting desk conversion. The deeper drawers must have been file cabinets.

Fleur, the vanity cabinet is the original cheap one re-purposed. It's particle board and plywood with beaded pine and a paint job. The top is not as fancy as oak, just structural pine 2'x8'. like what would be used in rough framing construction. SO has bar clamps, also known as pipe clamps, and he laminated the pine boards with construction adhesive. He may have used dowels too, I don't recall. I finished te top by hand rubbing a honey oak stain and then several coats of urethane that were sanded between coats. The drawers are not functional because of the sink. To get usable drawers you usually need a wider sink base. SO built a washstand style mirror. It is in the process of being finished this week. We have been laggards on this remodeling. Even more behind what with getting the spring garden in.

I would look in the phone book for builders' salvage warehouses or the cheapest cabinets available at big box stores that you can embellish. We have also located items by Googling specific salvage in our area. Sometimes builders list their salvage items for sale. There is a relatively new business of construction demolition and salvage. The demolition company pulls all the salvageable items before demoing the structure and lists them for sale. Try demo companies and ask for salvage information.

Just a question here...wouldn't a large mirror cover the cut out where the old medicine cabinet was? No need to patch the wall if that's the case.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2012
5:52 PM

Post #9096417

Denim,
My youngest dgt. and her DH had a lovely red cedar log home built (supposed to have been contractor done) He took so long we ended up going up and sleeping on concrete floor and helping out.
She paid $800. for an antique I call it sideboard and my DH cut 2 holes in it for a vanity in her main bath. Looks great. Your bedrm. set was a steal so don't hesitate to make it into a vanity. She was given a claw foot tub which a local man refurbished for her and thats in there also. Her DH and I tiled 2 shower plans in both bathrms. and did a lot of other finish work. I'm an excellent clean up person. For the claw foot tub nobody wanted to cut chrome pipe due to expence so I threatened to do it which got my husb. doing it right then. They are out in the country on 100 acres and now keep goats, cows and pigs. They both work full time but add improvements here and there. Had to get the house finished as they were living apart due to jobs SIL with me. They put up a 40 X 100 pole shed which he is closing in a little at a time to avoid a permit. Will be a barn but don't tell county office. He has excavator, 4 bulldozers and various other big boy toys so does all his own land clearing. Eventually they will have more land cleared for pasture. They paid $20,000. to get 10 acres cleared and then had to go in and get out all stumps themselves. It was a real mess but better now. At 75 I don't have much interest in remodeling our home. Think I'll just stay and go out feet first as someone mentioned. I am heading for digging my second koi pond. They are beautiful and it keeps me happy plus all the gardening. When you start landscapaing let me know and I will mail you some plants.
Been saving cardboard boxes for when someone wants some plants. Bless all your efforts and when you are finished you will feel such satisfaction you will flip.

Bonnie
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

April 26, 2012
7:13 AM

Post #9098426

thanks Bonnie , I always wanted a log home but with the geo heating & cooling DH said it wouldn't work out to well. so the farm house style is what I picked it is all wood inside & out close enough to a log I guess ...lol we are not clearing any of our land other then around the house keeping the tree cutting to a min. the drought last summer took care of way to many have lost some 100+ year old oaks you just cant water 20+ acres :(

yes ill being doing flips when its all finish (if its ever all finish) if I don't flip out first ...hahaha!!!

thank you for your kind offer to send plants ill sure need them:)
Cheryl

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 26, 2012
10:21 AM

Post #9098616

Just dropped in to see how your trash dresser project was doing and look what I found, a treasure! How very creative, would not have thought of that either... Mind now working overtime!
Fleur_2011
Yucaipa, CA
(Zone 10a)

May 1, 2012
4:34 AM

Post #9105087

@ MaypopLaurel ~ I don't want to put just a mirror over that "hole-in-the-wall" as I need some place to put my toiletries when medicine chest is installed. I appreciate your suggestion tho. Once that bathroom is totally completed, then that will become my "ensuite" where I'll put makeup, toothbrush, etc., in so that I don't have the hallway bathroom too cluttered. The back bathroom is where I'm splurging just a bit ~ rubbed bronze light fixture [already have], eventually a rubbed bronze faucet and a rubbed bronze space saver for over the toilet.

Thanks for the extra suggestions about the salvage houses. I'll look thru my phone books to see what I can find and also check online for the other sources you mentioned. Worse case scenario, I guess I could purchase one of those ready to finish cabinets from either of the big "box stores" you refer to. I think everyone knows which stores we refer to when we say it that way! LOL !!!

Since I'm doing this room a little at a time, my main priority for now is getting the space ready for the new medicine chest. Once I get the hole patched up, then I can paint that portion of the wall. I did see a huge med cabinet at a local antique house recently, but it was way bigger than I wanted and more French Provincial looking. I'm after something along the line of either country or cottage look. Other than painting most of the walls in this room, I only have a few pictures hanging on the wall. Like I mentioned on another thread that I also comment on frequently, now that my art shows are behind me I can now start to concentrate again on my home repair jobs! Oh and also keep looking for another F/T job. That would definitely help speed repairs along! :) Y'all have a great week & will keep ya posted on my progress! Cheers!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Trash to Treasure Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
here's my little treasure wheel Gourd 67 Jul 14, 2013 12:59 PM
Thank you Terry for this forum! Tradewind_64 26 Apr 17, 2010 4:52 AM
My second plant stand Vee8ch 30 Oct 18, 2007 12:48 AM
A Filigris Arbor Made from Trash ButterflyChaser 58 Sep 4, 2010 8:25 PM
Pretty in Pink Vee8ch 17 Jun 6, 2008 10:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America