Photo by Melody

Antiques and Collectibles: I know it's a lamp, but....

Communities > Forums > Antiques and Collectibles
bookmark
Forum: Antiques and CollectiblesReplies: 5, Views: 135
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
onecoolcad
Gilroy, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 7, 2011
8:12 PM

Post #8880950

I think its a wall mounted unit, my wife thinks or uses it as a table lamp.
It's about 60 - 70 yrs old. The shade is in ok shape,but the stiching is coming loose.

Where do I get this restored?

Thumbnail by onecoolcad
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
the Highland Rim of
United States
(Zone 7a)

November 8, 2011
4:11 AM

Post #8881174

Looks like an old desk lamp if the metal part swings down? Great lamp! That is a very common problem with those old fiberglass shades. The plastic stitching gets brittle and breaks. I have a green wall-mount lamp withe the same type of shade that wants to do the same thing. Difficult to know where to go for a repair unless you can find some flat cord and do it yourself. Leather cord or strapping might be an alternative.

Maybe eBay or Etsy ...
http://www.etsy.com/listing/82653773/vintage-lanyard-flat-plastic-cord-30-yds
onecoolcad
Gilroy, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 8, 2011
12:17 PM

Post #8881703

Cool, So is my guess about the 60-70 yrs old range correct? and Yes.. the lamp swivels in two places: at the knuckle you can see in the picture and also there is a knuckle behind the shade.

I'm gonna take some polish to the metal finish and restore it, but I am having a difficult time finding an original shade. You link was helpfull , but being that my wife is fondly attached to the piece. I wanna restore it to its original condition if possible.

I have a ton of antique resources here in Gilroy and nearby Moss Landing. I am pretty confident I can find a restoration place or leads from them... UNLESS ANYBODY WANTS TO CHIME IN...

and one more question... Is this lamp worth anything? (meaning insurance value)

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
the Highland Rim of
United States
(Zone 7a)

November 8, 2011
1:00 PM

Post #8881778

Yes, approximately 60 years old. Those types of shades were particularly popular in the '50s and '60s. Probably not worth insuring although it does have some value. If you have a lot of resources where you live, perhaps you can find someone to restore it. Especially if you can locate a place that deals mainly in Mid-Century pieces or Retro/Vintage. I wouldn't be able to here ... sort of on my own with those things. Much success and would love to see it when it is restored. :-)
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

November 18, 2011
10:05 PM

Post #8896449

I bought some of that lacing in a craft store (15 years ago) and re-laced mine myself. It was easy to do while watching TV.
biddy52
BROOKFIELD
Australia

March 28, 2012
7:35 PM

Post #9061238

Cville_Gardener wrote:Looks like an old desk lamp if the metal part swings down? Great lamp! That is a very common problem with those old fiberglass shades. The plastic stitching gets brittle and breaks. I have a green wall-mount lamp withe the same type of shade that wants to do the same thing. Difficult to know where to go for a repair unless you can find some flat cord and do it yourself. Leather cord or strapping might be an alternative.

Maybe eBay or Etsy ...
http://www.etsy.com/listing/82653773/vintage-lanyard-flat-plastic-cord-30-yds[/quote]

Check out: http://www.patturnstudio.com.au

They have some great ideas on lampshades and may be able to do a new one for you?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Antiques and Collectibles Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sampler 1801 Ginger_H 7 Aug 20, 2012 2:34 PM
mingmimi justmeLisa 6 Oct 20, 2007 11:51 AM
Wintermoor what is this? justmeLisa 7 Oct 1, 2011 7:20 PM
Do you collect Depression Glass? What pattern? bluegrassmom 82 Apr 11, 2011 10:14 PM
What do you consider your best "collectible/antique" find? nminmd 142 May 6, 2012 3:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America