Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Autumn Blues

Stafford County, VA

This is my favorite season in Virginia (not counting Spring, of course, when the bluebirds are busy getting ready to nest, and Summer, when they are so active, laying eggs, feeding nestlings and fledging, and Winter, when they are so almost desperate for food that they literally spend their days perched on our deck, waiting for me to come outside.)

But seriously, this IS a beautiful time. The humidity is low, the afternoon temperatures are about 70 degrees and best of all, the trees are simply gorgeous! You can tell one of my pictures was taken in Autumn if the background is a blur of red or orange or yellow. I will start with some I took a few minutes ago and work backward in time, since its been a while since I have posted. Hope you see something you like.

Thumbnail by 2dCousinDave
Stafford County, VA

Sometimes the background is darker, if the sun slips behind a cloud

Stafford County, VA

As you know, bluebirds are drop feeders. They have keen eyesight and often drop from a fence post, or a limb maybe 20 feet up, to pick off a grasshopper or a caterpillar in the grass. It is very hard to catch them with the camera as they drop. Today I was just lucky.

Stafford County, VA

I love it when they spin around on the perch.

Stafford County, VA

The adult male in a classic bluebird pose. I must have thousands like this one

Stafford County, VA

This was yesterday. My wife asks why I keep shooting when I already have so many that look alike. I don't have an answer.

She DOES: "You're obsessed!"

Stafford County, VA

I rarely shoot them straight on. Don't know why, bluebirds are attractive from almost any angle.

Stafford County, VA

I also shoot the males more often than the females. That is partly because that female is a bit more shy. With the male I sometimes have to step away to shoot because I am too close.

Stafford County, VA

Two days ago

Stafford County, VA

Earlier this week --and a little visitor

Stafford County, VA

And another

Stafford County, VA

OK we are back to Nov first. The bird was in the shade but the sun was still shining on the trees, which are about 500 feet distant.

Stafford County, VA

We had visitors that day as well.

Stafford County, VA

OK, I am going to stop and let this thing cool down a bit. (Actually, I am going out to feed the birds).

This one was taken on Halloween.

Marlton, NJ

Beautiful shots Dave! Fall is a great time of year.

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

What's the cute little grey one with the cone head?

Stafford County, VA

Quote from catzgalore :
What's the cute little grey one with the cone head?

It is a tufted titmouse. Normally a rather skittish bird but I have a pair that visit almost every day and in Summer when they are nesting they are up here constantly.

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you. Very cute :)

Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

I'm so glad to see this thread Dave. I've missed your bluebirds-awesome photos of them and their friends.

It's still hard to believe your camera will get such clear photos with that high ISO. Have you put in your order for the new Canpon IDX yet?

Stafford County, VA

Quote from ducbucln :
Have you put in your order for the new Canon 1DX yet?

Not yet duc. But it won't be out until March, if then. Canon are famous for tantilizing with release dates, then delaying the release, often for a year or longer. It does look interesting though but with that hefty price tag the waiting list won't be that long. Problem with getting on a list is that you have to pay msrp, if not even a little more. So the part of me that has to have the latest model fights with the part of me that loves a discount. (I suspect by February I will be on a list.)

But I did buy another new 7D a couple of weeks ago, So now I have two. I really like that model.

Stafford County, VA

Here is another shot of the titmouse while I look for a few more bluebirds.

Stafford County, VA

Another male. I need to find some nice females (bluebirds).

Stafford County, VA

Another visitor. This is one from last year.

Stafford County, VA

Had to go back to last November to get this one

Stafford County, VA

This was taken on my mother in law's patio in Baltimore. The red background is the brick wall of the next unit, not Autumn leaves

Stafford County, VA

Here's a more recent female.

Stafford County, VA

This one goes back 3 years

Stafford County, VA

A male, taken the same day.

Stafford County, VA

This one goes all the way back to Nov 2007. Some of these pictures I have not looked at until now. Hard to imagine. I need some snow days so I can catch up.

Stafford County, VA

Last one for now.

Stafford County, VA

Male bluebird atop the pear tree, about half an hour ago

Stafford County, VA

From there he moved to the shepherd's hook, still waiting for me to put out some meal worms.

Stafford County, VA

The female often waits before joining him.

Stafford County, VA

But she finally does.

Stafford County, VA

At which point the male leaves. Don't know if he was finished, or if he was watching out for her.

Stafford County, VA

Apparently he was not finished.

Stafford County, VA

Here he finally is finished. I started using a concrete bowl after the wind blew the lighter weighted ones into the neighbor's yard.

Stafford County, VA

The titmice have been here all morning. They usually eat bird seed, but as you can see, they do love meal worms.

Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

So many beautiful captures! Each one is just so sharp and clear. I especially liked the one with the female "but she finally does".

Funny thing happened here yesterday while I was looking at your first pictures as you posted them. A female bluebird landed on a branch attached to our deck. Of course I had to run to the camera but was just able to get my picture through the window before she took off for the garden.

Two 7D's??? Now you really are addicted to cameras! I'd be willing to bet you have a room in your home just to house all your cameras and equipment.lol

Sandusky, OH

Great shots Dave!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.