Photo by Melody

Beginner Flowers: what are some of you favorite cool season annuals?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 29, Views: 143
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 8, 2011
6:20 PM

Post #8882225

hello. just curious, wondering what others are planning for their gardens. anything is welcome, not just cool season (for those of you in different areas). and how you design your garden with them. :)
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 8, 2011
7:09 PM

Post #8882293

Planning, CZP? I'm still planting things I bought from June to this past Saturday! I do have some ideas for next year and have them saved on my photo program as a reminder to buy them but that's as far as I've gotten for 2012.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 9, 2011
11:47 AM

Post #8883104

thats a good idea! i usually just save them as notes and then forget later. example: i was really hoping for calendulas this year, but they dont sell the plants. and while i was picking up seeds, i completely forgot to look for calendula seeds. instead i grabbed california poppy...and i have yet to sow my seeds. i sowed sweet peas though. and i have several plants that need to go in the ground, but i keep putting it off. - i was hoping to get some new ideas for design, before i do anything.

This message was edited Nov 9, 2011 3:48 PM
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2011
12:43 PM

Post #8883210

Try the Fine Gardening site. I've found their ideas and articles very inspirational.
http://www.finegardening.com/design/

Here's an example for 2012 of my Burpee order...so far. I just don't want to forget these three. I use the key that reads PRT SCR (print screen) and it's automatically saved to my photo program. From there it's simple to label 2012 Burpee so it heads the list and it's a constant reminder.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2011
12:44 PM

Post #8883216

It would help if I added the photo!

It can be cropped so you can actually read it - LOL.

Thumbnail by pirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 9, 2011
4:11 PM

Post #8883540

yes i was able to read it lol. nice choices of amaranthus. and thanks so much for the link, that website is now one of my favorites! im surprised i hadnt stumbled upon it before. im planning to have an overflowing border of snapdragons, pansies, poppies, and sweet peas. hopefully its overflowing :p i see so many homes with tons of flowers. theres one in my neighborhood that is simply gorgeous. theyve replaced most of their lawn with perennials; i would post a picture if i could. come to think of it, i need more perennials...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2011
5:59 PM

Post #8883761

If you also do container gardening I have a link to Fine Gardening's Staging Container Plants that I love, not that I've even come close to duplicating any of it (just a little).

We all get a thrill out of a property filled with flowers and yet the work to maintain it can be overwhelming. I love snapdragons and have many that reseed themselves and many others that behave as perennials.

How about roses? You should be able to grow fantastic roses in sunny Florida.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 9, 2011
6:48 PM

Post #8883822

yes, overwhelming is exactly what i use to describe the work. i need to work on edging soon.
roses. i have two mini rose shrubs and a grandiflora. im not exactly the best at rose care. i kind of go along with what they do. yeah i do think they grow nicely here. the sunlight works wonders with them, but usually the flowers scorch a little. good thing theres a profusion of blossoms. i read tons of info on rose care, in particular the hybrid teas and grandifloras but i dont have much personal experience. do you have any personal experience with roses?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2011
7:04 PM

Post #8883846

I kill roses. The one that hasn't let me down is The Paul McCartney rose but I don't know if it's a good one for the south or not. The sad part is that if I don't manage to kill them the deer eat them. Right now I have five trellises surrounding good old Paul in the hopes of keeping the deer away from him.

Even Queen Elizabeth bit the dust this past year and I've had her 20 years.

The Rugosa roses do well here but they're so huge and telling me to "just" prune them constantly falls on deaf ears since I have 29 other gardens to baby.

JUST is the four letter gardening word that's a curse to me.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 10, 2011
5:13 PM

Post #8885248

youre not good with them? well i certainly dont think its a bad thing, because you always have such helpful things to say!
i dont think i have one of those ''curse'' words, but the issues of spacing, mulch, and ''make sure you improve your soil with lots of organic matter'' are candidates. they bother me alot---
the word ''just'' is a curse to you? is it because it makes whatever its talking about sound like a piece of pie?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 10, 2011
6:04 PM

Post #8885328

Exactly. It's as if all those little "just" comments are so quick and easy but they aren't.

Have you noticed that the jobs which take a minute or two to get done are the ones we actually do but the jobs that take four hours or four days seem to get delayed?
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 10, 2011
6:41 PM

Post #8885379

completely understand.
YES! i do that with my homework all the time,...and then i have to quick write something down before the teacher collects it! good thing im a good student from the start :p
and also i have some pots of perennials outside that are near begging to be planted. on top of that i have to sow some seeds, and that takes but a minute or two, give or take lol. and i still havent gotten around to any of those things.

This message was edited Nov 11, 2011 5:30 PM
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 12, 2011
1:55 PM

Post #8887347

pirl, question: is plant trading open to everyone?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 12, 2011
2:01 PM

Post #8887358

It is open to all subscribers.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 12, 2011
5:09 PM

Post #8887610

ok thanks for clearing that up for me. unfortunately im not a subscriber.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 12, 2011
5:14 PM

Post #8887616

How about trying a two month subscription for $5.00? The trades alone would probably be worth it to you.

Hint: to avoid high shipping costs just trade with those in the nearest states.
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 18, 2011
11:06 AM

Post #8895659

Coastal, you would love a subscription. I have learned so much from planting to soil. The plant files are remarkable.

If you had bromleiads, we could do a trade for my succulents or whatever.

pirl, I don't mean to leave you out either. Got bromeliads?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 18, 2011
11:19 AM

Post #8895679

Thanks, Peg. I have one and that's enough for me.

It was Plant Files that led me to subscribing to DG back in '05.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 18, 2011
12:20 PM

Post #8895774

i know, it does sound great. is it against the rules to trade without being subscribed? *sigh i can probably have a month subscription - some time in the future. the thing is i have Noo possible way of paying.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 18, 2011
12:26 PM

Post #8895786

You are allowed to trade with anyone who wants to trade with you! No need to become a subscriber for that. I thought you meant to be part of the Plant Trading Forum, sorry!
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 18, 2011
12:51 PM

Post #8895840

oh! no no its fine, now i know the difference. and subscribing seems great anyway, so i could use the PlantFiles more. thanks :)
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 18, 2011
1:49 PM

Post #8895981

Always read the feedback that each person has before you make a deal to trade to feel more sure of any deal. Just click on a name and a list of options will appear, one of them is feedback left by others.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 18, 2011
1:55 PM

Post #8895988

oh thats so convenient. thanks, i practiced on your name *giggle , you have quite a number of compliments!
i was looking at teddys extensive thread on the amaryllis and saw you and friends talking about the daylilies. are you a professional, or get a degree in that area? (im interested in getting a degree somewhere in the field)
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 18, 2011
2:14 PM

Post #8896014

Thanks for the compliment, CZP, but I don't have any horticultural degree and I don't consider myself a professional in any field. I just love gardens and love gardening.

Here's one of my old thread on Japanese irises that I hope you will enjoy:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1007584/?hl=Pirl\'s
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 18, 2011
2:40 PM

Post #8896032

i see. well the love and pasion is what makes the difference right. unfortunately i couldnt open the thread, i saw the small sized pic though, it does look grand. irises are one of my favorites. sadly you cant grow the wonderful bearded's here, too hot and moist.
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 22, 2011
9:38 AM

Post #8901441

pirl, you do have a nice collection of Jap. Iris...beautiful.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 22, 2011
10:42 AM

Post #8901502

Thank you, Peg. I have quite a few Japanese iris gardens now and love each of them.

This is JI, 'Crown Imperial'. It would be impossible for me not to love it.

Thumbnail by pirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

monique06
Columbia, TN

November 22, 2011
6:42 PM

Post #8902035

Hi! i've been into Philippines before and they have this unique style of making gardens. They use log and place their orchids on every side and a pot on the top of the log. When blooming season came, the log seemed to have life itself with beautiful orchids on the side and a pot of flower of top.

They have these little roses or vietnam rose as what the native calls planted in the pot.
and orchids like jade vine or cymbidium.

it's a great weather out there. tropical flowers are musing.
Maps
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 23, 2011
1:25 PM

Post #8903018

Monique,

I can't imagine how beautiful it would be to see logs full of potted orchids in bloom.
Here in Louisiana, I would have to use cypress logs since the termites seem to eat everything that looks like wood. Then cypress may be questionable too.
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

December 26, 2011
6:56 PM

Post #8943659

Does it have to be real wood? Could it be artificial?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America