Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Sewing and Quilting: Looking for a true black

Communities > Forums > Sewing and Quilting
bookmark
Forum: Sewing and QuiltingReplies: 13, Views: 72
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 9, 2011
7:34 AM

Post #8882849

I have quite a few projects going and was surprised at the different blacks that are available. I want fabric that is a true black, not one with brown undertones or that will fade out with the first washing. Fabric.com has quite a few selections of blacks, some organic, Kona Elegance, basic blacks, etc. Keepsake has the Amish black, and a Bali black. The last 2 I have came from Z&S, but they're undergoing some changes at the moment and I need more for my Christmas quilts.. There also seems to be quite a price difference between types...
Anyone out there have any favorites, or suggestions on preference?

Thanks!
Kiz
Thea1962
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 9, 2011
8:05 AM

Post #8882882

Kathy...if you can get the Northcott 9000-99 that is a true black colour and the texture and quality is sooooo nice.

This is the new line Northcott has:
http://northcott.net/?sid=2&layout=2col&content=fabric_details&colid=426&colorid=704

My LQS has some of the series and I am waiting for the black to come in (should be there today)

abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 9, 2011
8:53 AM

Post #8882933

Several years ago I was in a swap group in Gainesville. We needed a true black and found it at Keepsake Quilting--ordered 2 bolts for the group. It was a nice true black and continued to stay that way after washing.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 9, 2011
9:12 AM

Post #8882964

Keepsake has Amish Black for 6.96 and Bali Black for 8.96... The Kona Jet Black I got from Z&S was nice, but the regular Kona black has brownish undertones in the light.. Do you remember which you got, Amish or Bali? I've not gotten into Bali fabrics yet, but can imagine they are nice...
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 9, 2011
10:01 AM

Post #8883009

Yes, we got the Amish Black Kathy.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

November 9, 2011
1:26 PM

Post #8883282

Tha Amish black from Keepsake is great. It does stay black...
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 10, 2011
4:06 AM

Post #8884290

There is that Kaufman series of over 50 colors that has a fantastic black on black. I've never had a problem with it fading & it is a true black.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 10, 2011
6:11 AM

Post #8884410

That Kona Jet Black I am using for Matthew's quilt is really nice, however I only bought 2 yds to compare it, now I wish I had bought more. I'm going to check out at the LQS today to see what she carries, turns out some of the other fabrics that I thought I bough plenty of, I need tttthhhhiiiiisssss much more...LOL
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 10, 2011
6:21 AM

Post #8884426

Isn't that an unwritten rule--always short what you need? LOL Happens alots at this house.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 10, 2011
9:57 AM

Post #8884692

Well, the local LQS has Kona Elegance and I found one other one on the shelf, not a familiar brand, but it sure felt nice.. I decided that I've finally figured out what a 'nice hand' feels like (Marion... I'm referring to fabric...) After spending all this time learning fabric in Joann's and such places, I found myself walking thru the aisles at Quilter's Corner feeling the bolts. Good thing the store was empty and the owner was busy embroidering sweatshirts...LOL Even the collections of certain designers vary in 'hand'.. amazing. Alot of what I saw today reminded me of the poly blends I used to sew clothes with, very soft, wonderful drape. No wonder I read people saying they don't want to cut their fabrics!
At any rate, now that my endorphin levels have increased, I gotta get back to sewing this top so I can start cutting the next one.

Basically, there's no difference between the 108" quilt backing and a 44" wide fabric, is there? At $9 a yd for 44", and $15 for 108", if it looks good, wouldn't that be a better deal or am I missing something? She has a big selection of backing out there, I could have picked out colors for a whole quilt off that shelf!

http://www.facebook.com/mariettaquilts
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 10, 2011
11:30 AM

Post #8884828

I didn't say "nuttin'" Kathy~!!! ;-)

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 10, 2011
12:14 PM

Post #8884897

LOL
quilter_gal
(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

November 10, 2011
12:26 PM

Post #8884914

I ordered a bunch of this because it had a reputation for being black-black-BLACK - and for keeping its blackness through laundering:
http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/Item--i-MCJ-BLK

I haven't used it, but it is absolutely beautiful and feels wonderful, too. :)

I'm going to do Sindy Rodenmayers' Fiesta pattern with it. http://fatcatpatterns.com/Fiesta.html One thing I really love about her patterns is that you can buy them in pdf format or you can buy them in an EQ file - so much easier to enlarge, re-arrange, etc. :)

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 10, 2011
1:16 PM

Post #8885023

Elizabeth, I found the same Michael Miller Jet black at fabric.com... thanks so much! I think I'll order some of this tonite. Love that Fiesta pattern, very colorful, but way out of my expertise level, lol. Fatcatpatterns is one of my bookmarks, too...
BBL, working on supper!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing and Quilting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM
Looking for a Shopping Cart Cover Pattern???? red_princess_71 17 Jan 4, 2010 9:44 AM
Necktie Skirts & Purses SandiTX 4 Oct 7, 2008 3:15 AM
Lascaux.....and brush water melody 27 Feb 29, 2008 7:46 PM
Free Accessory Patterns Yuska 13 Apr 18, 2008 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America