Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Poultry and Livestock: Bye Disco

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 7, Views: 68
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
smedgekles
Conroe, TX

November 11, 2011
8:12 AM

Post #8885856

Our duck that was acting sickly died Wednesday night. We couldn't figure out what was wrong with her. She was my daughters duck and she had named her Disco. She was a Buff duck about 3 years old. She was acting fine and suddenly started sitting around a lot which just progressed to her staying inside their hut the last few days. Not sure if she ate something that didn't agree with her or what happened, the picture was taken about two weeks ago and then she was fine. So far all the other ducks are acting normally.

Thumbnail by smedgekles
Click the image for an enlarged view.

green04735
Bridgewater, ME

November 11, 2011
11:37 AM

Post #8886014

So sorry,I lost one of my first chickens Wensday night to,she had been acting funny for a few weeks off and on.She was a cute duck with that puff on her head
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

November 11, 2011
1:25 PM

Post #8886184

I hoped your daughter doesn't take the loss to bad. It is really hard on children. I am so sorry ;-)

I lost 3 chickens last month. Little One egg bound, then my precious Little Man grieved himself over her. I tried all I could to help him. Even giving him grow gel but when you can feel the keel bone it is usually to late. I should have paid attention to him when little one died. Thought Little Mom would keep him happy but she is tending araucana babies she hatched. And lost a Araucana for unknown reasons. Then I put down 2 Roo's who decided to beat up Patches. It is so hard when they are pets
smedgekles
Conroe, TX

November 13, 2011
9:10 AM

Post #8888216

Sounds like you had a lot of losses Donna. Funny how chickens can grieve, and people say animals have no feelings. We have a big roo that grieves whenever a hen dies. He even did it for a hen that was in a pen next to his, he saw her dead and that was all it took. It has happened about 3 or 4 times and he acts the same each time so we know he is grieving. We thought maybe he acted more human since we hatched him under a light in the house and for the first week of his life he had just us till the other chicks hatched. He would follow me around and sit at my feet (on a tile floor of course), We had a hard time keeping him in his box because he wanted to be with us. Sounds like your Little Man had a big heart for his Little One.
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

November 13, 2011
10:07 AM

Post #8888272

Thanks Smedge. The sad thing is I really need to put down more of the roo's. I just can't make myself do it. They have never squabbled until this past week and it is only in the 1 pen of them. I guess that is because they are all the younger ones coming of age. I was trying to down size my pens to have to keep up with the health issues I am dealing with. I reset up another pen and put Patches and 2 hens in it and will probably put a couple more that I want him to breed with trying to improve my flock
smedgekles
Conroe, TX

November 13, 2011
10:40 AM

Post #8888331

I hear you, it's always hard to put them down even if they are roos. And yep, when they get to a certain age it seems the fighting begins.
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 14, 2011
4:51 PM

Post #8890398

So sorry to hear about all the losses that each of you have suffered.
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

November 20, 2011
5:18 AM

Post #8898309

She was just adorable. That's a shame.

I picked up a piece of glass out of my yard yesterday. Made me wonder what would happen if the chickens had eaten it. Guess they have more sense.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America