AuthorContent
jojoe70
Thomson, GA
(Zone 8a)

November 11, 2011
8:41 AM

Post #8885877

Hello everyone,

I have an adenium obesium when I got it the girl was going to throw it away.It was only one long thin trunk,the saddest looking desert rose I'd ever seen.It is dormant now but it has 3 small limbs at the top now.I keep it on my dresser it's next to a window but not in front of it because it has gone dormant after being outside all summer.Last night I reached over it to get a plant that was in the window and (having MS) I had a muscle spasm and almost broke one of the limbs completely off.They are bare of leaves of course but it's a healthy green stem.I cut it completely off clean,set it out to callous.

Now I don't know what would be the best thing to do.Can it be rooted in some damp peat or perlite or any potting medium at all.If anyone knows of anything I can do to root the limb, I appreciate any advice or knowledge I can get.I've propagated plants but never had anything like this.

The plant will be ok I know, but it would be nice if I could start a new plant from the stem if possible.

Everyone have a nice day
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 14, 2011
8:14 AM

Post #8929178

From EHow.com:

Things You'll Need:

Shears
Perlite
Peat moss
Pot
Rooting hormone
Skewers
Plastic mat
Heat propagation mat

Cut a 5- to 6-inch stem from the adenium plant. Choose an actively growing stem with or without leaves. Strip any leaves from the cutting.

Combine three parts perlite and one part peat moss. Moisten the mixture until it is barely damp, then place it in a 6-inch pot that has a bottom drainage hole.

Dip the cut end of the adenium cutting into a rooting hormone. Rooting hormones, available from garden centers and florists, encourage quick root production while inhibiting fungal diseases.

Push the cutting into the potting mixture deep enough so it stands upright.

Insert two wooden skewers into the soil on either side of the adenium cutting. Place a plastic bag over the pot, allowing it to rest on the skewers and not on the cutting. The bag retains moisture during rooting.

Set the pot on top a heated propagation mat set to 75 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the pot in an area that receives bright, indirect light.

Mist the potting mixture with moisture every one to two days, keeping it moist but not soggy. Remove the bag once the cutting begins growing new leaves, which indicates rooting has occurred.

Read more: Propagation of the Adenium Plant | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_7368731_propagation-adenium-plant.html#ixzz1gWgYJnvd
jojoe70
Thomson, GA
(Zone 8a)

December 17, 2011
11:55 AM

Post #8933270

Nice to meet you Kay,

Thank you so much for the information and the link.I have 1 desert rose that was a rescue plant.It was being thrown out because it was dormant she thought it was dead.

I have been researching this plant.It's tall and skinny, i want to learn how to fatten her up and what it needs in the way of fertilizers.I'm not sure what it's needs are exactly i'm trying to figure out what fertilizer ratio to use.

Your link will be a big help!!!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Thumbnail by jojoe70
Click the image for an enlarged view.

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 20, 2012
1:14 PM

Post #9173135

cool, maybe I can salvage some plants with this info.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Propagation Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
rooting bamboo justmeLisa 14 Oct 19, 2010 10:25 AM
Propogating Aucuba dave 17 Apr 25, 2008 8:36 PM
crepe myrtle venessa 54 Jul 1, 2008 4:11 AM
Top 10 Easiest to Grow from Cuttings kmom246 296 Sep 15, 2014 6:06 PM
Stella d'Oro seeds, how to start? Melissa 26 Feb 26, 2009 12:30 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America