Photo by Melody

Article: The Frugal Gardener: Money Saving Projects and Tips; Glass Totems and Garden Stakes: Fragile!

Communities > Forums > Article: The Frugal Gardener: Money Saving Projects and Tips; Glass Totems and Garden Stakes
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Frugal Gardener: Money Saving Projects and Tips; Glass Totems and Garden StakesReplies: 13, Views: 54
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

November 12, 2011
7:41 AM

Post #8886920

Hi Melody,
This is a good idea to put the discarded glass ware to some ornamental use. But personally, the very look at those fragile items makes me nervous! I have a fear that I may accidentally touch and topple them! LOL. I wouldn't dare make one like that, esp. the one which is like a 'tower'! The not-tall ones are okay if I'm near them! It's a beautiful idea nevertheless.
Dinu
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 12, 2011
7:22 PM

Post #8887791

LOL, I had the same thought... wow, glass totems would look really lovely out in the garden... but how could I anchor them to be sure they wouldn't tumble and crash and scatter a zillion little pieces of glass around to threaten our summer tootsies? I think I still might try a couple, but they would be placed away from paths and edges, in the center of a planting bed where any possible fall would be cushioned by foliage. In particular, I have a bed in front of my deck landing... decorations in the middle of this little bed might not be visible from the edge of the bed, but I'd see them when I'm sitting on the bench on the landing.

I do have some cheap vases, short candleholders, and old ashtrays (bought to put under plant pots) that are made of very thick glass... I think they might be a bit sturdier for possible use outside.

You do have a way of making sure we have enough projects to get us through any dull winter days. Thanks, Melody!

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 14, 2011
9:58 AM

Post #8889838

I'm planning on using the tall one by my front entrance on my covered porch. I think it will be fine there...the large platter really helps with stability. It is important to have a wider base than the rest of the structure. I wouldn't make one this big again. It is hard to move. I would have been much happier without one of the layers. Since my front porch is covered and opposite of the normal wind patterns, I think it can live out there quite happily for some time. For garden use, smaller ones or some designed for stakes would be best.

Here's some from the gift shop in Arkansas...see how the narrow bud vases make a perfect holder for a stake.

Thumbnail by melody
Click the image for an enlarged view.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 14, 2011
3:32 PM

Post #8890312

Cool... I hadn't quite worked that part out... I was thinking that a bud vase on the bottom would let me bury the neck of the vase to stabilize it, but putting it over a stake is better! LOL
Sunflower1888
Manassas, VA

November 15, 2011
4:42 PM

Post #8891783

I'm inspired!! Those toems on stakes have set my creativity ablaze. I am forever finding bud vases at Salvation Army and I pass them by because I have plenty myself. Turning them into totems is a GREAT idea!! I am going to have so much fun culling through the glassware :)

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

November 16, 2011
2:42 AM

Post #8892290

Cleaning up broken glass pieces! They can fly to nooks and corners! You said what I missed, Critterologist!

I have some simple old lamp shades made of glass that are in use and I've put the ones that are not required in a wooden box. They are antique. They are so beautifully done though they are in simplest plain design. I'll try to share some pictures when I remember to click a few.

We use stainless vessels for our daily use and we are not used to using porcelain crockery. We have a few old ones that are in the showcase and we hardly use them at all - whenever we get an opportunity, we get tense! We can't tolerate broken ware (or glass).
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 16, 2011
6:56 AM

Post #8892514

For the most part, I'd rather use something and take the risk that it could be dropped/broken... otherwise, I'd just end up with things packed away out of sight, and then I wouldn't enjoy them, either. But yes, I know that nervous extra-careful feeling when getting out "special" pieces, like great-grandma's dessert plates for serving birthday cake!

This would also be a fun way to make some tiered serving pieces for "presenting" cookies, chocolates, or whatnot. What a neat re-use for all those mismatched one of a kind pieces at the thrift shop!

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 16, 2011
8:57 AM

Post #8892703

Here's another shot of some of the offerings at the gift shop.

I'll have to get a shot of my big totem. I got nervous about moving it, so took a piece of wire and cut it in sections. I like the two smaller pieces much better and they are quite easy to move.

Thumbnail by melody

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 16, 2011
9:56 AM

Post #8892762

Here's the tall totem, modified into two units. You can see their scale since they are next to my piano.
They are much easier to handle.

Thumbnail by melody

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

November 22, 2011
1:59 AM

Post #8901068

Melody, nice Piano I must say! :)

These pictures got me to remember the circus artiste who flips cups and saucers from his/her foot on to the vertex of the head!

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 22, 2011
5:49 AM

Post #8901190

Thanks Dinu! We got it many years ago from a couple who were moving to a smaller place and had no room for it. They originally got it from a church in the early 1970's when the church bought a new one.

We have those jugglers in our circuses too. And yes, those totems look like their act!

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

November 23, 2011
3:03 AM

Post #8902362

Mel, did you appreciate my comparison? LOL.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 23, 2011
5:50 AM

Post #8902461

Yes indeed Dinu...that's what I felt like when trying to decide how I wanted things to look. Especially for the little piece...when they aren't glued, things have to balanced just so, or it will all tumble down and break.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

November 23, 2011
7:30 AM

Post #8902563

Mmm yes, precarious, Melody. At least I'm relieved a bit that they are glued!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Frugal Gardener: Money Saving Projects and Tips; Glass Totems and Garden Stakes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
An excellent and inexpensive craft Elena 1 Nov 12, 2011 9:54 AM
You're right ... I love it!!! ♥ Cville_Gardener 0 Nov 12, 2011 12:48 PM
stacked glass objects maiglocke 1 Nov 17, 2011 2:06 PM
Another good idea Sundownr 3 Jan 8, 2012 6:56 AM
Know your glass or use a different glue? dgar 1 Mar 12, 2012 11:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America