Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Seed Germination: Need a Seed id'd

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 6, Views: 75
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Windy
Belleville , IL
(Zone 6b)

November 12, 2011
10:24 AM

Post #8887065

After a nice windy day I found these (Possibly tree or shrub) seeds in my driveway. There were a lot of them, so I thought I may want to grow them out.
Can anyone id these tiny 1/4 inch or so seeds.

Thumbnail by Windy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

art33
Florissant, MO

November 12, 2011
8:26 PM

Post #8887892

Hi Windy,

Can't be sure of course but to me they look like seeds from an Ash tree.

Art
art33
Florissant, MO

November 13, 2011
8:49 AM

Post #8888200

Windy,

I'm beginning to have second thoughts about that seed ID :-) I just discovered that I have the same kind of seeds all over my patio and I don't know of any Ash trees around here. I've walked all around looking for the source of the seeds but couldn't find it. It's very breezy out today so I guess those seeds could have come from quite a distance. I hope you can get a positive ID because now I'm curious too :-)

Art
Blueberry1264
McMinnville, TN
(Zone 6b)

November 13, 2011
10:16 AM

Post #8888280

Seed appears to be Sweet Gum, Liquidambar styraciflua. Do you have Sweet Gum nearby?
art33
Florissant, MO

November 13, 2011
12:53 PM

Post #8888521

Windy,

Blueberry is right. I just cut one of the sweet-gum balls open and sure enough, those exact seeds are inside. I guess when the gum-balls dry out, the seeds are scattered by the wind.

Thanks Blueberry!

Art
Windy
Belleville , IL
(Zone 6b)

November 14, 2011
8:56 AM

Post #8889763

Well. I won't be planting them after all. lol Yes, I have a sweetgum tree in my yard but never thought that the seeds were inside the ball. I thought the ball was the whole seed. I only moved here a year ago.
The tree is big and healthy and I love it, except for the seed balls which need raking all year long.I am going to dissect the seed and see what lurks inside. lol
art33
Florissant, MO

November 14, 2011
6:27 PM

Post #8890530

Yeah, that seed ball is what fooled me too. The dried one's (you find on the ground) don't seem to have any such seeds; I guess they get blowed out of the ball before it falls to the ground. When I finally cut open a green one (from my neighbor's tree), the seeds were there.

Thanks to Blueberry, now we know :-)

Art

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America