-
AuthorContent
amanzed
Los Angeles, CA
(Zone 10a)

November 12, 2011
11:19 PM

Post #8888014

Adenia firingalavensis stylosa under my care originally from Mike and Maureen Massara at Out of Africa. I love the deep red color of the leaves and especially the veins. Take a look at the distinctive, melted-candle caudex -- unlike any other. I'm a sucker for Adenia spp at any rate, but this was a particularly happy addition to the family.
--
dean
http://sentientmeat.net/, featuring Succulent Sunday
a new series of plant mini-profiles, suggestions wanted
[Posting this in its own thread rather than only on a July thread without lead photo]

Thumbnail by amanzed
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Dlmcgrw
Colton, CA
(Zone 8b)

November 13, 2011
7:51 AM

Post #8888152

Wow that has a look all of it's own. Not going to confuse this one with anything else. How old is this plant?? Why have I never seen one before?? It is easy to understand why you are proud of it. Don

Amanzed, I just looked in the plant files to see what was there and the photo by palmbob does not look anything like your plant. No red leaves no dripping candle look. Is there confusion over identification? Regardless, love the look of your plant.

This message was edited Nov 13, 2011 7:58 AM
amanzed
Los Angeles, CA
(Zone 10a)

November 13, 2011
8:14 AM

Post #8888176

Hi Don (Dlmcgrw), I believe Adenia firingalavensis species type looks noticeably different from var stylosa. I think those are the differences you're seeing. In fact, the second picture in PlantFiles is from Michael Malice. It's from his posted collection that I caught the bug to track down A f var stylosa. I've had this plant about 6 monts. The caudex is so far just 1.5in across.
--
dean
http://sentientmeat.net/ with feature Succulent Sunday

This message was edited Nov 13, 2011 9:16 AM
amanzed
Los Angeles, CA
(Zone 10a)

November 13, 2011
8:47 AM

Post #8888195

Adenia globosa. This is seedling obtained last year (again) from Out of Africa (one of my repeat, go-to enablers, dealers for my growing habit). This plant shows a 3" caudex... I'm also growing a rooted cutting which eventually should form a caudex, too. Just takes a while, and the shape of the caudex is somewhat different from a seedling caudex.

Thumbnail by amanzed
Click the image for an enlarged view.

PerennialGirl
Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 4a)

March 18, 2012
3:41 AM

Post #9046971

Adenia globosa looks like a cool plant! Are the pointy parts sharp.
Sally0
Yardley, PA

March 18, 2012
7:35 AM

Post #9047153

What a beauty! I love the caudex and the leaves are gorgeous. I will have to keep an eye out for one for myself. I have 2 adenias and also really like them.
amanzed
Los Angeles, CA
(Zone 10a)

March 18, 2012
12:47 PM

Post #9047469

The thorns on Adenia globosa are sorta sharp, but not razor sharp like many cactus spines, rose prickles, or prickles on the edge of Dyckia spp leaves. I love exaggerated armament, especially when the appearance is more fierce than its bite.
PerennialGirl
Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 4a)

March 18, 2012
1:07 PM

Post #9047491

They sure do look might fierce!
amanzed
Los Angeles, CA
(Zone 10a)

March 18, 2012
6:49 PM

Post #9047947

Agreed! My 2 Adenia globosa are among my favorite plants. Even more lovely and difficult to find is Adenia ballyi, which is still on my TO-GET list. Less choice but still TO-GET is Adenia pseudoglobosa.

I bought 1 Adenia globosa from Gene Joseph & Jane Evans at Living Stones Nursery, a rooted cutting which reportedly will EVENTUALLY develop a conical caudex. (I'm finding its growth slow; perhaps it needs root run, as in a raised planter with pumice.)... as well as the lovely Adenia globosa seedling, pictured, from Mike & Maureen Massara at Out Of Africa Plants.

So far I have just praise for these Adenia globosa. They seem fairly vigorous and not too touchy outdoors in my 10a California climate. A LITTLE pricey: in 2010 I paid $15 for the cutting and $25 for the sizable seedling with 3-inch, football-shaped caudex. They DO seem to recover and respond well after periods of moderate neglect. Frankly this tolerance of some neglect is a trait I require, since I have many plants and have other active professions.

[quote="PerennialGirl"]They sure do look might fierce![/quote]

PerennialGirl
Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 4a)

March 18, 2012
7:24 PM

Post #9047997

I don`t have any Adenia plants but I do want some. I did buy some different Adenia seeds like A. subsessilifolia, A dadosepala, A. olaboensis and A. sphaerocarpa ssp Isaloensisi.
amanzed
Los Angeles, CA
(Zone 10a)

March 18, 2012
8:12 PM

Post #9048046

Wow, that selection seems quite exotic. I also have a lovely A glauca and a rooted cutting of A pechuellii. The latter is not thriving, but I hope it might still survive.

[quote="PerennialGirl"]I don`t have any Adenia plants but I do want some. I did buy some different Adenia seeds like A. subsessilifolia, A dadosepala, A. olaboensis and A. sphaerocarpa ssp Isaloensisi.[/quote]

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Caudiciforms Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Adenium seedpod!! Indigoez 24 Apr 24, 2007 7:17 PM
Great case of mistaken identity GSkinner 16 Nov 22, 2007 2:20 PM
Flowering and Brighamia insignis, Hawaiian Vulcan Palm MartinDK 7 Aug 13, 2007 3:20 PM
Anyone grow Fockeas? Nan 8 Aug 13, 2007 3:30 PM
Brachychiton Nan 5 May 25, 2007 4:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America