Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Handyman: Drill Press

Communities > Forums > Handyman
bookmark
Forum: HandymanReplies: 3, Views: 47
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
porkpal
Richmond, TX

November 13, 2011
9:47 AM

Post #8888253

Okay, I feel really stupid: I am trying to drill a series of holes in a PVC pipe to make a drain line and my drill press will bore one or two holes, then it drops the bit. I reset the bit, really tighten the chuck, and it happens all over again. Help!
porkpal
Richmond, TX

November 13, 2011
12:16 PM

Post #8888488

Never mind! It has had a change of heart. I must not have been holding my mouth right...
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

November 15, 2011
1:50 PM

Post #8891555

porkpal, we are nearly neighbors.

I have had that happen to corded and cordless drill/drivers, as well as the drill press, too. If there is any non-linear stress on the bit, it gets transferred to the chuck. If the chuck is lubricated or dusty it will vibrate the bit loose.

I recommend blowing out any collected material from the chuck. Old wood chips, dust, etc. will work as a lubricant.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

November 15, 2011
2:51 PM

Post #8891629

Thanks Bubba, it decided to work for me - I suspect it was a lubrication problem; the chuck was a bit rusty so I wiped it down with a little oil. The PVC definitely grabbed the bit slightly once the hole was complete.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Handyman Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy "Water Pic" Hole Digger roadrunner 20 Apr 11, 2008 3:43 AM
My rain water harvesting pics Dinu 24 Mar 31, 2009 4:28 PM
a peculiar bookcase (Horseshoe, have a look!!) dpmichael 56 Mar 17, 2007 6:57 PM
concrete stain crestedchik 7 May 30, 2007 4:27 AM
hard to move sliding glass door Janiejoy 10 Jul 9, 2009 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America