AuthorContent
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

November 14, 2011
2:15 AM

Post #8889363

I enjoyed the article because last summer, a local artist
told me that my yard reminded him of Claude Monet's paintings.
I had splashes of colour all over.

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 14, 2011
4:28 AM

Post #8889422

What a wonderful compliment!

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 14, 2011
5:26 AM

Post #8889490

The gardens are breathtaking but the inside of the house is almost as interesting. The kitchen is done entirely in yellow and I've never seen a cheerier room. The restoration was wonderfully done and I'm so glad I got to visit this landmark . Even with wall to wall tourists it was spectacular. What a genius.

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 14, 2011
2:08 PM

Post #8890203

I would LOVE to go visit his home and gardens myself. I've been reading about the Impressionists off and on for the past month, and have been feeling such a strong urge to go see it all in person!

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 14, 2011
2:30 PM

Post #8890227

Try for early Spring like May before the big wave of tourists hit, or September ...we were there in September and the gardens were still lush and full, and although crowded, not as bad as it would be midsummer. Airfares are better then too. We did every museum we could in Paris, some were closed for renovations. Did get to the Rodin which is quite small but nice and has a garden area where you can eat your lunch, providing you brought it along.

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 14, 2011
2:50 PM

Post #8890261

I did get to see Rodin's home/museum, when I was in Paris almost 20 years ago. I can't believe it has been quite that long! It was one of the real highlights of my trip. Most of the time, I was held to a pretty strict schedule, as I was on a tour group with a college class, but I did get one day free in Paris, and spent half of it sketching Rodin's sculptures. I found his work really moving. I wasn't familiar with anything he'd done, other than The Thinker, but someone I met on a train suggested it as a "must see," and I'm so glad I did! I couldn't get anyone else from my group to go with me, and I actually got in big, BIG trouble with the college professor later for taking off on my own. I just knew I would always regret it if I passed up that opportunity, and spent the day looking at things that held little interest for me. It was the art that I wanted to see!

I'd love to go back. I'd spend as long as I wanted at the different art museums, re-visit Rodin's home, go to Giverny. . . Sigh.

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 14, 2011
4:47 PM

Post #8890387

It's almost twenty years for me too, and I 'd love to go back again. We have friends who live outside Paris and a standing invitation to visit, so who knows...maybe before I kick the bucket I'll do it again. She breeds siamese cats now, retired from GE, but not retirement age...just didn't want to work if she didn't have to. Her website is
http://chatterie.siamois.free.fr/

She is English, and married a Frenchman! Her cats are just too beautiful and I'm tempted to go get one ...Talk about a pricey pet!! LOL

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 15, 2011
2:22 PM

Post #8891600

LOL Maybe we should plan a DG "Round-Up" tour of the famous gardens of France. Wouldn't that be a blast? Of course, I'd have to receive a sudden, unexpected inheritance in order to afford the trip. . .

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 15, 2011
3:59 PM

Post #8891724

You and me both, my outgo exceeds my income most of the time.
wldrnss
Butler, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 16, 2011
3:40 PM

Post #8893271

Thanks for a wonderful informative article. The comparison of the photos and paintings is remarkable.

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 16, 2011
3:45 PM

Post #8893278

Thanks! I was so intrigued at how recognizable the settings were! You could often tell exactly where he must have stood to paint a particular picture. . .

carrielamont

carrielamont
Euless, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 3, 2011
11:38 AM

Post #8914933

Sounds a group trip to me.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Monet's Gardens: Living Works of Art Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Very interesting article. DebBrown 3 Nov 14, 2011 1:56 PM
Thanks msmollynd 1 Nov 14, 2011 1:45 PM
1920-1922 Painting of Grande Allee LeslieT 1 Nov 14, 2011 1:49 PM
Stunning! carrielamont 3 Nov 30, 2011 1:46 PM
Lovely article BeeCharmer13 1 Nov 14, 2011 1:57 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America