Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Rejuvenate Your Soil With Cover Crops: weed control

Communities > Forums > Article: Rejuvenate Your Soil With Cover Crops
bookmark
Forum: Article: Rejuvenate Your Soil With Cover CropsReplies: 2, Views: 9
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
binibusybee
Osgoode, ON
(Zone 5b)

November 14, 2011
6:59 AM

Post #8889615

Your article has made me wonder if planting a cover crop might help me clean up some wild and weedy spots. We have a large plot which borders onto cedar forest. The soil is clay with lots of rocks. the 'volunteer plants' are mainly undesirable: thistles, nettles and other prickly things that come into the house on my cats' tails.
I like the idea of clover in some of these areas but don't want to have it spread into the nearby grass areas. Would i need to cut it? Or should i consider annother type of cover? I really just want a ground cover type of plant that keeps the nasty weeds out and doesn't need any care. Thanks for an interesting article!

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

November 15, 2011
9:35 AM

Post #8891244

I would suggest another type of ANNUAL cover crop.
You don't have to worry about it spreading. the cold weather will kill it.

Check out the CC's at Johnnys Selected Seeds
binibusybee
Osgoode, ON
(Zone 5b)

November 16, 2011
4:26 AM

Post #8892333

Thanks Paul - I'll have look at the choices.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Rejuvenate Your Soil With Cover Crops Threads you might be interested in:

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America