Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Water Gardens: Wintering Over Pond Plants?

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 1, Views: 39
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pondlove
Lewes, DE

November 14, 2011
11:29 AM

Post #8889962

I usually kill most of my pond plants, but this year I am going to try to winter them over. We have not had a hard frost here in lower Delaware yet and I just pulled most of the pots from the pond yesterday.

I have one pot with a first year lotus and first year water lilly which I think I should just sink to the bottom of the pond.

How about the other water lillies? Can the tubers be kept inside somehow? I also have some elephant ears.

Right now everything is in my sunroom which is starting to smell like a swamp. I have a basement that I could store some things in. Last year the garage got too cold and froze most of my plants.

Any suggestions would be more than welcome.

Also, I am thinking about adding a bottom drain to resolve the sludge problem. Am also thinking about a new pump/filter system. Any recommendations?
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

November 16, 2011
7:51 AM

Post #8892597

I just put my hardy lilies, well cut back in the deep end of the pond away from frost danger. Won't work with tropicals. Someone suggested just cutting them back and putting them in the basement. As long as they were fairly moist they would survive. Never tried it. This year I just pulled them from their pots, cleaned them up and put the all in one bucket with some pea gravel to keep them from floating. Reduces the yuk in my pond over winter, increases free water space and wil make pulling them out so much easier. I will report in gravel in the spring, put in all summer plant food and in they go. Hope it works.

I envy you the bottom drain. I had a chance when I redid the pond the second time but didn't know about bottom drains then. they are the best thing from what I hear. Lots of people use MicrobLift SA (as I do) for sludge problems as it gets down there and breaks down that stuff under rocks.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America