we came from here

Part 9...HOW TO Make faux sea glass
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/825740/#new

windrose
Cedar Park, TX

November 15, 2011
2:55 PM

Post #8891633

Here is something I just finished. It has a good example of glass I tumbled with dish soap and glass I tumbled with sand. The glass on the top right (bright turquoise) I tumbled for about six hours with dish soap. The glass to the left of it (pale aqua) I frosted using sand and tumbled it for about three days. The piece of green glass bottom left, I only tumbled it for about two hours, just long enough to take off the sharp edges. I was afraid it might break.

Thumbnail by windrose
Click the image for an enlarged view.

denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

November 15, 2011
3:55 PM

Post #8891707

WOW love the mixed media how big is it
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

November 15, 2011
4:06 PM

Post #8891734

Very nice work, Woodrose. By the way. I have a woodrose plant. It has only given me about two blooms in four or five years but it is huge and growing strong. It is now up my water tower. RJ (another DGer) warned me about how big the plant can get so I have it where size is not a problem. Even without blooms it gets lots of compliments.

katie
J2222
Southern California, CA

November 15, 2011
7:38 PM

Post #8892032

I have not been reading this thread and I can see I've been missing a lot.

Windrose: I love your mixed media, too!
windrose
Cedar Park, TX

November 16, 2011
7:15 AM

Post #8892545

Cheryl, I had to go measure it! It is 13" x 15". I just finished a black one too.

BTW, the aqua pottery above the piece of green tumbled glass on the bottom left, is also tumbled. It is tumbled with sand.

Katiebear, you need to post a picture of that plant. Never even heard of it before.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

November 16, 2011
8:20 AM

Post #8892655

windrose
picture of the black one ...you know I must have pictures ...lol
windrose
Cedar Park, TX

November 27, 2011
1:17 PM

Post #8907919

Sorry this took so long. Had my granddaughter for a week. Here is a picture of the black one. I don't take very good pictures.

Thumbnail by windrose

denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

November 27, 2011
1:22 PM

Post #8907924

Very cool
What is that in the top left corner?
windrose
Cedar Park, TX

November 28, 2011
2:46 PM

Post #8909289

Black brocade material I cut from an evening bag I bought at a garage sale.
windrose
Cedar Park, TX

November 28, 2011
2:48 PM

Post #8909294

Anyone have any pictures of what they are working on or just finished?
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

November 28, 2011
3:46 PM

Post #8909369

have not had time to tumble anything lately but have done a bit of stained glass

Thumbnail by denimangle

J2222
Southern California, CA

November 30, 2011
12:12 PM

Post #8911548

Windrose: very nice collage.

Denim: Beautiful! and with your house in the background...a perfect photo...like your house is being blessed.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

November 30, 2011
3:24 PM

Post #8911767

thanks J2222 heres another one I made for the same person

Thumbnail by denimangle

windrose
Cedar Park, TX

December 2, 2011
7:45 AM

Post #8913588

Cheryl, those are beautiful! I've never done stained glass. Did she pick out the colors to match her rooms? I bet those crosses would sell pretty well.
J2222
Southern California, CA

December 2, 2011
2:00 PM

Post #8913978

Denim: Yes, very nice!!
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

December 2, 2011
6:00 PM

Post #8914299

Thanks Windrose & J2222 one is for her mother the moss green one .the dkgreen is for her all I had to go on was I like kelly green & moms room is like a lite green ...lol
I have an ad running . custom stained crosses. I don't want to make them till ordered
heres what I was playing with today
the boot still needs its Star

Thumbnail by denimangle

J2222
Southern California, CA

December 3, 2011
10:20 AM

Post #8914890

Lovely, Denim...hope you get a lot of orders!
J2222
Southern California, CA

December 7, 2011
6:57 PM

Post #8920766

Some ideas on what to do with the beautiful glass you are tumbling: http://www.gardenwithlotus.com/2011/02/more-to-landscape-mulch-than-wood-chips/
windrose
Cedar Park, TX

December 21, 2011
8:26 AM

Post #8938115

One of the things you learn about mulching with your own tumbled glass is that you can only do small areas! I thought I would use tumbled glass for a garden area about 20 ft long. What a joke, after three weeks of tumbling I had about 1/5 of the garden mulched. Ended up doing just a small area. But I do put lots of the glass in my potted plants, as shown in those pictures. Thanks for posting those J, as that gives everyone some more ideas.
J2222
Southern California, CA

December 21, 2011
12:50 PM

Post #8938380

I'm a big fan of tumbled glass, but I have never done any...best to stick with small projects, it seems!
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

December 21, 2011
1:31 PM

Post #8938420

Windrose, There is a place in Austrin where you can get free tumbled glass by the bucket or truck load. if i was close and wanted to do a big area I think id go get some ..
valerie1853
San Saba, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 23, 2011
8:43 AM

Post #8940444

Where is this place in Austin?
windrose
Cedar Park, TX

January 4, 2012
2:35 PM

Post #8954531

Valerie, It is a glass recycling center. The mulch is tiny pieces of glass. Sort of like caliche or crushed granite, something that size. I think it is free, you just come load it up into your truck bed by shovel. Right, Cheryl? I can probably do some research and find out where it is for you. But, it is not that beautiful stuff like you see in photos where they fill a flower bed with blue glass. The glass pieces are really small and all the colors are all mixed together. Just wanted to make sure you understand that.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

January 4, 2012
4:13 PM

Post #8954630

yes I think its free some where on DG they were talking about it but I cant remember where I didn't know it was that small tho ... :(

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #8954740

I bet the small glass pieces would be a pretty border for a flower bed, or maybe in a fairy garden somehow?
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

February 7, 2012
3:10 PM

Post #8998270

bump

Thumbnail by denimangle

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

February 13, 2012
6:02 AM

Post #9004889

I would really , really love to have a cardinal like that . Beautiful
windrose
Cedar Park, TX

February 26, 2012
7:35 AM

Post #9020500

Cheryl, That is beautiful with that background. Makes it look real. Are you still melting the wine bottles? We need to figure out a way to get you some blue wine bottles. I probably have 30 of them.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

February 26, 2012
8:16 AM

Post #9020543

Thank You:)
it was taken out the back door of my glass shop
Yes Still doing the Bottle think . We have to go to temple next month on the 21 & 29 on one of the trips we have to go to Hood too so I can get new ID Maybe we can meet up some where as that put me a lot closer to you .. would love to meet & get blue bottles too :)
Sandibythbay
Annapolis, MD

May 27, 2012
7:47 PM

Post #9141138

Hello All,
I have been breaking and tumbling colored glass for weeks trying to get a nice variety of colors to put together something. It just occurred to me that my glass has lost all of it's sheen (which I know tumbling with sand will do) but it seems to be so dull you can hardly tell what color it is. Should I try tumbling with just detergent and can I retumble the dull pieces to bring back some shine? Any suggestions??
keepingactive
Thousand Oaks, CA
(Zone 10a)

May 27, 2012
8:08 PM

Post #9141166

Sanibythbay,
Boy, can I commiserate with you! I've been collecting wine bottles, blue, green,yellowish, etc. It all started because I wanted to make a bottle tree. People from two organizations have given me bottles...and it's a good thing! I made the bottle tree, then decided I would try to Mosaic a gecko out of the broken up wine bottles. I bought two double tumblers and finally got them set up in the garage. First batch of green bottles I over tumbled and they are not quite sea glass, but have become rather gray looking, Yuk. Tumbled next batch for less time 6-8 hours and am happy with the edges being dull to the touch and the glass is still glass looking. I am using a couple tablespoons of play sand. I am fairly certain that you can not get back the shine once tumbled. I understand when wet the glass looks shiny, but once dry again it's not shiny. We need the experts to answer this. Next project is mosaic on tables. I've been given several sets of dishes so am going to smash them up. Yea! I love being active. My neighbors think I'm nuts...maybe so.

Good Luck and above all else----Have Fun!
keepingactive
Thousand Oaks, CA
(Zone 10a)

May 27, 2012
8:18 PM

Post #9141175

Sandibythbay:

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, just the answer I wanted...see it pays to go back and read what has been written before. I thought I had read this, but didnt make a copy of it. This might be the answer to my problem... and thanks to deminangle for posting this

**I don;t know how to make it a quote or anything, so here it is as written:

Very Pretty Love the colors . What were they before you smashed them ?
I would stop now too. For the clear look dont use any sand just the soap and water the glass tumbling will take off the edges .. the sand give it the frosted look .
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

May 28, 2012
10:54 AM

Post #9141898

If you want to know anything , Denim seems to have done it all . Don't know how she does it all . Talent !
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

May 28, 2012
11:32 AM

Post #9141954

ADD Digger can't stay with one thing to long ...LOL
Sandibythbay
Annapolis, MD

May 28, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #9142176

Thanks a lot for everyone's help but now what do I do with this "flat" colored glass? Any suggestions? I'm really angry with myself for not reading more before tumbling. Some of this glass tumbled for almost 2 weeks no wonder it looks drab...
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

May 28, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #9142210

Can still use it on table tops or anything you want to put a coat of wax or vinyl floor finish on .
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

May 28, 2012
4:26 PM

Post #9142300

I have used them for Jewelry
you can wire wrap them or drill holes or add a bale for a necklace

Thumbnail by denimangle   Thumbnail by denimangle   Thumbnail by denimangle
Click an image for an enlarged view.

keepingactive
Thousand Oaks, CA
(Zone 10a)

May 28, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #9142468

I've got another old ugly terra pot that I'm planning on using my not so pretty green wine bottle tumbled glass on. I may decide to tumble it some more in order to get more of a sea glass effect...right now it is extremely dull and drab. Then after grouting I'll seal it and hopefully it will be prettier than what I have now. As you can tell, I;ll do anything in order not to have enough time to clean my house!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

May 29, 2012
4:48 AM

Post #9142797

Are we kin?
keepingactive
Thousand Oaks, CA
(Zone 10a)

May 29, 2012
9:25 AM

Post #9143219

digger9083...nah , but i wish we were. I did have a brother who lived in Blairesville, GA. I visited him one August and like to have died. The humidity just attached me horribly. Beautiful country settings and lots of lakes and placed to fish (my bro's favorite thing). His windows were heavily curtained, lights were kept off...in was like being in a deep cave, but cool with the a/c on. We'd open the front door and run 40 feet over the little bridge where the bubbling brook was and out to the car and go to the antique stores. Which were large buildings with no air conditioning. I had a fantastic time and shipped many items home. But, I digress...Ii just hate to throw anything away, might be useful someday. I'm not necessarily a pack rat, I don;t keep everything, I just keep a lot until I can't keep it anymore, and teen to pass it on. Yep, I guess my shed and side yard are full of my treasures.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

May 30, 2012
4:08 AM

Post #9144403

Oh yes , after what you've told me , I'm SURE we're kin .
You just got here at a bad time . Blairesville is one of the most pleasent places to be , weather wise . They are just over the mountain from us and grow the most beautiful crops in the state.
Just have to know , what brought your brother to N . Ga and when , and why did he leave ? I'm a transplant .
keepingactive
Thousand Oaks, CA
(Zone 10a)

May 30, 2012
11:05 AM

Post #9144937

digger,
Bro loves to fish. lived in San Francisco, met and married a lovely lady born and raised on Maui. Married 20 yrs, moved back to Maui and little by little marriage fell apart. Island to small for the both of them, bro offer a job as caretaker on an estate in Blairesville for 6 mos of the year. That lasted couple of yrs back and forth HI/GA. Bro got bored. I needed help doing things around the house, he moved in with me (I'm a widow, kids grown, 5 bedrooms, 3 bath, living and family rooms, laundry, pool large yard...you know the stuff that needs to be done). He came with a U-haul towing a boat and a friend driving his truck and he had a Harley. Now I'm not opposed to Harley's and trucks, but his were loud and I do live on a cul de sac where all of us were in our 60's at that time. My neighbors were appalled. We found that we were just not compatible living together.. He is the baby and out mom has always catered to him, had a wife that took great care if him and expected me to be his meal cooker, and clean up after him so because he'd been alone and had no one to do for him, he thought it would be me...the handyman stuff I wanted him to do he just never got around to it, fished the days he didn't work...never had time to do the little things I needed done.. So after 4 years, we parted ways...and unfortunately not on good terms. It's sad as we would talk on the phone for hours and laugh at the dumbest stuff...now he won't even speak to me. Thanks Digger ---now I'm bummed!. Just kidding, I'm over it - it hurts, but life goes on .

BTW - how much liquid soap do you put in the tumbler with the water to just get the glass smooth?

Thanks...Sue
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

May 30, 2012
3:29 PM

Post #9145247

The soap is Denim's department .Others could tell you , but she comes to mind first .
Your bro sounds like some men in my family . My D H was single 10 years and took care of himself . Now his dirty clothes can't find the way to the washroom , and he forgot how to run a washer. The new one is exactly like the one he had when we met . LOL
I think you don't add water with the soap . HELP , Denim , or someone !
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

May 30, 2012
8:25 PM

Post #9145590

lol just saw the post yes fill with water & maybe a tabs of dishsoap.
keepingactive
Thousand Oaks, CA
(Zone 10a)

May 30, 2012
8:33 PM

Post #9145603

denim---filled with water just a tad over the glass line, squirted a couple of good sized squirts of liquid soap into barrel. They have been tumbling since 10 am this morning, just opened one up and I've got a barrel of soap foam. I just scooped it out with my hand and added more water. So far it's doing great. Thanks. However, maybe next time a little less soap!
sue
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

May 31, 2012
5:50 AM

Post #9145856

Ha ha , see , I was wrong about the water .
keepingactive
Thousand Oaks, CA
(Zone 10a)

May 31, 2012
7:59 AM

Post #9146035

digger9084:
Holy Crud...You're NOT PERFECT?! It now appears I am the only one who walks on water. BTW I started reading this thread when I joined 2010 and the HF tumblers were going anywhere from $19 to $40. I ordered my first one on line for sale at $49. It was back ordered. My neighbor suggested I go to the local HF and pick one up. I looked at her like she was nuts...if they didn't have them for people who ordered them on sale on line,,,why would they have in their stores? Well, color me dumb. they had them, I had a 20% off coupon, got one and extra belts. Happy Me. Couple months later, got another one, but it has taken me over a year to collect the bottles, and get it all set up. Been thinking of getting another one...once I start on something, I want to finish...generally have a few sticks in the fire and tend to not get anything finished for a while. I don't know if that's ADD or I just get bored fast. I do finish... eventually. Have a great day! sue
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

May 31, 2012
5:13 PM

Post #9146793

Know what you mean . It isn't that there aren't enough hours in the day , it's that there aren't enough years in a life . I work harder at keeping up and it's impossible to get it all done . Sure would like to go fishing or gold dredging for a weekend . HAH!

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2012
8:56 PM

Post #9203447

I finally got out the rock tumbler I bought 4 years ago second-hand, but unused. I busted up some blue beer bottles and bumpy green glasses. I'm trying for a shiny finish without sharp edges to use for mini garden stream water. I added a few drops of soap with the water and turned the little thing on. I know I'll be checking on the progress every 1/2 hour or so. This is the tumbler's maiden voyage and I think we're both nervous!

I can't thank you folks enough for all the great information and ideas on this thread!!
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

July 16, 2012
6:59 AM

Post #9206955

Bev your going to make your self crazy checking every 1/2 hour .. Give it at least a day :)

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

July 16, 2012
7:48 AM

Post #9207025

Yeah, I nearly did drive myself nuts, lol. I didn't know if the lil old tumbler was up to par, so I babysat it the first day. I got my small amount of shiny blue "gravels" then put coarse sand in with the big stuff to let them frost over. I'm down to checking the tumbler every 12 hours now. The novelty will wear off soon I'm sure, lol.

Thanks again,
--
Bev
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 16, 2012
8:33 AM

Post #9207080

Bev , you sound like me with my first micro- convect oven . Micro fan was scary

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

July 16, 2012
10:17 AM

Post #9207241

digger, A micro-convect oven sounds intimidating! What does it do/for? I'm a gadget freak, but hover a bit until I trust things to do their job properly.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 16, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9207958

The one I had did it all . It had 300 recipes programed in , just touch the button and next instructions came up , then it would cook awhile and stop , next step , and on until finished . It dehydrated , cook by heat , micro , or combination , roast with heat and a rotisserie , cook with a probe , pre set heat and automatically turn it's self on , then off . Baked a cake . More I can't remember right now . It was bought at Sears , 1200.00 On sale 869.00. It had a huge oven , seems like 1 3/4 sq foot .
When ex took it , I tried to get another like it and it wasn't made anymore . It was a Kenmore , made by Sharp I think . At that time , Sharp made all the high line units for Sears .This was about 25 years ago . They still make micro convect ovens but nothing as big or elaborate as then .They also had one with 200 recipes .

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

July 16, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #9208020

digger, OMG, I never heard of such a thing! I'd hate to try learning something that complicated! I have to get the manual out to set the clock on my dern stove, lol. I guess you would miss it after getting used to it though...sorry!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 16, 2012
7:36 PM

Post #9208063

Oh , it was really simple , even for me . The buttons tell you what to do .I had never had a microwave before and it scared me to death at first . I don't set the clock on my regular oven , D H does . I just used the timer first time yesterday , and it's 10 yrs old .

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

July 17, 2012
5:12 AM

Post #9208361

I get into too big a hurry to pull manuals for things I don't use very often, so I keep cheap plastic timers handy where I might need them, lol.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 17, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9208427

That's what I need .
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

July 17, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #9209457

Thats the Same micro- convect oven I had .. Loved it was very sad when the stirrier went out & I couldn't find anyone to fix it about 10 years ago
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 18, 2012
6:01 AM

Post #9209852

Then you understand how upset after all these years that I still am . It was "top of the line " nothing to compare to it .
Absynthe
Port Macquarie
Australia

August 28, 2012
3:34 AM

Post #9256550

Hi everyone. :) Don't know if anyone's still checking this thread, but I've just started tumbling. Cheap tumblers are hard to come by where I am (don't even think anywhere nearby sells them) so I'm having a go at shaking a tupperware container full of glass and sand by hand. I'm guessing it's gonna be an excellent arm workout lol. I'm up to two hours of shaking so far. Expecting it to take about 50-100 hours, so I hope it looks good by the end of it. XD

At the moment I'm tumbling some glass that I found on a beach which has only just had the sharp edges taken off. I'm hoping to get a more frosted look to make some sea glass style jewellery.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 28, 2012
5:32 AM

Post #9256613

Absynthe , I would think the glass would be much more desirable if used as found .
What do the tumblers cost there , and couldn't you order online ? Glass is harder than tupperware , wonder how many tupperware you will wear out .
biddy52
BROOKFIELD
Australia

August 28, 2012
2:53 PM

Post #9257398

[quote="windrose"]Sorry this took so long. Had my granddaughter for a week. Here is a picture of the black one. I don't take very good pictures.[/quote]

Very interesting collage - will have to have a go at the glass - but I assume you have an actual tumbler? I believe the same can be achieved with a plastic bottle mixed with either detergent or sand and glass? I want to have a go for mosaicing purposes. Love all the comments!
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

November 24, 2012
2:41 PM

Post #9341427

well I have been tring to open part 11 for 3 days with no luck & no one placed a likk here so I going to post new pictures here.if I can this is the master bathtub where I have set tumbled glass (tumbled with water & a little soap for a couple days) waiting for gray grout an as soon as I get over this crud I picked up thankgiving ill get to it

Thumbnail by denimangle   Thumbnail by denimangle   Thumbnail by denimangle      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

katiebear
mulege
Mexico

November 24, 2012
2:49 PM

Post #9341434

Nice work. Some of those pieces of glass look familiar. katie

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

November 24, 2012
3:34 PM

Post #9341455

It's beautiful! You've done a fantastic job!
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

November 24, 2012
4:05 PM

Post #9341486

Katie there very well may be some of the Mexco glass in there:) how are you getting along ?

Thanks Bev
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

November 24, 2012
4:06 PM

Post #9341490

My new knee is doing well and I've lost sixty pounds. kb
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

November 24, 2012
4:40 PM

Post #9341509

I found some of it ,Kb
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

November 24, 2012
5:10 PM

Post #9341523

lol I found the rest .. glad you knee is getting better
biddy52
BROOKFIELD
Australia

November 26, 2012
12:03 PM

Post #9342989

[quote="denimangle"]I have used them for Jewelry
you can wire wrap them or drill holes or add a bale for a necklace
[/quote]

Post #9142300

Love your circles - great affect! Di
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

November 27, 2012
1:01 PM

Post #9343917

Thanks Di
circles are bottle tops either tumbled or fired in the kiln & then tumbled

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Trash to Treasure Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
here's my little treasure wheel Gourd 67 Jul 14, 2013 12:59 PM
Thank you Terry for this forum! Tradewind_64 26 Apr 17, 2010 4:52 AM
My second plant stand Vee8ch 30 Oct 18, 2007 12:48 AM
A Filigris Arbor Made from Trash ButterflyChaser 58 Sep 4, 2010 8:25 PM
Pretty in Pink Vee8ch 17 Jun 6, 2008 10:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America