Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Part 10...HOW TO Make faux sea glass

Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX(Zone 8b)

we came from here

Part 9...HOW TO Make faux sea glass
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/825740/#new

Cedar Park, TX

Here is something I just finished. It has a good example of glass I tumbled with dish soap and glass I tumbled with sand. The glass on the top right (bright turquoise) I tumbled for about six hours with dish soap. The glass to the left of it (pale aqua) I frosted using sand and tumbled it for about three days. The piece of green glass bottom left, I only tumbled it for about two hours, just long enough to take off the sharp edges. I was afraid it might break.

Thumbnail by windrose

WOW love the mixed media how big is it

mulege, Mexico

Very nice work, Woodrose. By the way. I have a woodrose plant. It has only given me about two blooms in four or five years but it is huge and growing strong. It is now up my water tower. RJ (another DGer) warned me about how big the plant can get so I have it where size is not a problem. Even without blooms it gets lots of compliments.

katie

Southern California, CA

I have not been reading this thread and I can see I've been missing a lot.

Windrose: I love your mixed media, too!

Cedar Park, TX

Cheryl, I had to go measure it! It is 13" x 15". I just finished a black one too.

BTW, the aqua pottery above the piece of green tumbled glass on the bottom left, is also tumbled. It is tumbled with sand.

Katiebear, you need to post a picture of that plant. Never even heard of it before.

windrose
picture of the black one ...you know I must have pictures ....lol

Cedar Park, TX

Sorry this took so long. Had my granddaughter for a week. Here is a picture of the black one. I don't take very good pictures.

Thumbnail by windrose

Very cool
What is that in the top left corner?

Cedar Park, TX

Black brocade material I cut from an evening bag I bought at a garage sale.

Cedar Park, TX

Anyone have any pictures of what they are working on or just finished?

have not had time to tumble anything lately but have done a bit of stained glass

Thumbnail by denimangle
Southern California, CA

Windrose: very nice collage.

Denim: Beautiful! and with your house in the background.....a perfect photo....like your house is being blessed.

thanks J2222 heres another one I made for the same person

Thumbnail by denimangle
Cedar Park, TX

Cheryl, those are beautiful! I've never done stained glass. Did she pick out the colors to match her rooms? I bet those crosses would sell pretty well.

Southern California, CA

Denim: Yes, very nice!!

Thanks Windrose & J2222 one is for her mother the moss green one .the dkgreen is for her all I had to go on was I like kelly green & moms room is like a lite green ....lol
I have an ad running . custom stained crosses. I don't want to make them till ordered
heres what I was playing with today
the boot still needs its Star

Thumbnail by denimangle
Southern California, CA

Lovely, Denim....hope you get a lot of orders!

Southern California, CA

Some ideas on what to do with the beautiful glass you are tumbling: http://www.gardenwithlotus.com/2011/02/more-to-landscape-mulch-than-wood-chips/

Cedar Park, TX

One of the things you learn about mulching with your own tumbled glass is that you can only do small areas! I thought I would use tumbled glass for a garden area about 20 ft long. What a joke, after three weeks of tumbling I had about 1/5 of the garden mulched. Ended up doing just a small area. But I do put lots of the glass in my potted plants, as shown in those pictures. Thanks for posting those J, as that gives everyone some more ideas.

Southern California, CA

I'm a big fan of tumbled glass, but I have never done any....best to stick with small projects, it seems!

Windrose, There is a place in Austrin where you can get free tumbled glass by the bucket or truck load. if i was close and wanted to do a big area I think id go get some ..

San Saba, TX(Zone 8a)

Where is this place in Austin?

Cedar Park, TX

Valerie, It is a glass recycling center. The mulch is tiny pieces of glass. Sort of like caliche or crushed granite, something that size. I think it is free, you just come load it up into your truck bed by shovel. Right, Cheryl? I can probably do some research and find out where it is for you. But, it is not that beautiful stuff like you see in photos where they fill a flower bed with blue glass. The glass pieces are really small and all the colors are all mixed together. Just wanted to make sure you understand that.

yes I think its free some where on DG they were talking about it but I cant remember where I didn't know it was that small tho ... :(

(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

I bet the small glass pieces would be a pretty border for a flower bed, or maybe in a fairy garden somehow?

bump

Thumbnail by denimangle
Dahlonega, GA

I would really , really love to have a cardinal like that . Beautiful

Cedar Park, TX

Cheryl, That is beautiful with that background. Makes it look real. Are you still melting the wine bottles? We need to figure out a way to get you some blue wine bottles. I probably have 30 of them.

Thank You:)
it was taken out the back door of my glass shop
Yes Still doing the Bottle think . We have to go to temple next month on the 21 & 29 on one of the trips we have to go to Hood too so I can get new ID Maybe we can meet up some where as that put me a lot closer to you .. would love to meet & get blue bottles too :)

Annapolis, MD

Hello All,
I have been breaking and tumbling colored glass for weeks trying to get a nice variety of colors to put together something. It just occurred to me that my glass has lost all of it's sheen (which I know tumbling with sand will do) but it seems to be so dull you can hardly tell what color it is. Should I try tumbling with just detergent and can I retumble the dull pieces to bring back some shine? Any suggestions??

Thousand Oaks, CA(Zone 10a)

Sanibythbay,
Boy, can I commiserate with you! I've been collecting wine bottles, blue, green,yellowish, etc. It all started because I wanted to make a bottle tree. People from two organizations have given me bottles....and it's a good thing! I made the bottle tree, then decided I would try to Mosaic a gecko out of the broken up wine bottles. I bought two double tumblers and finally got them set up in the garage. First batch of green bottles I over tumbled and they are not quite sea glass, but have become rather gray looking, Yuk. Tumbled next batch for less time 6-8 hours and am happy with the edges being dull to the touch and the glass is still glass looking. I am using a couple tablespoons of play sand. I am fairly certain that you can not get back the shine once tumbled. I understand when wet the glass looks shiny, but once dry again it's not shiny. We need the experts to answer this. Next project is mosaic on tables. I've been given several sets of dishes so am going to smash them up. Yea! I love being active. My neighbors think I'm nuts....maybe so.

Good Luck and above all else----Have Fun!

Sandibythbay:

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, just the answer I wanted...see it pays to go back and read what has been written before. I thought I had read this, but didnt make a copy of it. This might be the answer to my problem..... and thanks to deminangle for posting this

**I don;t know how to make it a quote or anything, so here it is as written:

Very Pretty Love the colors . What were they before you smashed them ?
I would stop now too. For the clear look dont use any sand just the soap and water the glass tumbling will take off the edges .. the sand give it the frosted look .

Dahlonega, GA

If you want to know anything , Denim seems to have done it all . Don't know how she does it all . Talent !

ADD Digger can't stay with one thing to long ....LOL

Annapolis, MD

Thanks a lot for everyone's help but now what do I do with this "flat" colored glass? Any suggestions? I'm really angry with myself for not reading more before tumbling. Some of this glass tumbled for almost 2 weeks no wonder it looks drab......

Dahlonega, GA

Can still use it on table tops or anything you want to put a coat of wax or vinyl floor finish on .

I have used them for Jewelry
you can wire wrap them or drill holes or add a bale for a necklace

Thumbnail by denimangle Thumbnail by denimangle Thumbnail by denimangle

I've got another old ugly terra pot that I'm planning on using my not so pretty green wine bottle tumbled glass on. I may decide to tumble it some more in order to get more of a sea glass effect....right now it is extremely dull and drab. Then after grouting I'll seal it and hopefully it will be prettier than what I have now. As you can tell, I;ll do anything in order not to have enough time to clean my house!

Dahlonega, GA

Are we kin?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.