Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Frost Heave: Preparing for Winter: Haunt the Christmas tree lots

Communities > Forums > Article: Frost Heave: Preparing for Winter
bookmark
Forum: Article: Frost Heave: Preparing for WinterReplies: 0, Views: 11
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
keferraro
Crown Point, IN

November 14, 2011
4:31 PM

Post #8890369

In my area, zone 5, the perfect time to winter mulch is when the Christmas tree lots are in full swing. It's better to mulch after the ground has frozen because the goal is to keep the ground temperature constant rather than keeping it warm. And in the Thanksgiving to Christmas month there are plenty of evergreen boughs that have been trimmed from the bottom of trees that are just waiting for the taking. I also take all of my roping that comes down after Christmas and put that in my garden. The disadvantace of leaves is that they can compact and smother when they get wet. Another thing I do is collect straw bales that have been used as fall decoration. I about mid-November, I leave a note on the bale with my phone number offering to pick it up and organically recycle it. I don't shake the straw out but put it down in the "leaves" as it comes out of the bale. I the spring it will move to my vegetable garden to keep the weeds down between rows.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Frost Heave: Preparing for Winter Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Frost heave Hemophobic 6 Nov 22, 2008 7:23 PM
How late to mulch lizpadjen 2 Aug 23, 2009 11:04 AM
strawberries doone 1 Jan 11, 2010 4:19 PM
too late to mulch for me! binibusybee 0 Jan 11, 2010 4:33 PM
Lost my broccoli to this! jmc1987 0 Nov 29, 2013 9:04 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America