Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Roses: Need Rose id, and hybridizing questions.

Communities > Forums > Roses
bookmark
Forum: RosesReplies: 3, Views: 55
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
keithp2012
West Babylon, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 14, 2011
4:41 PM

Post #8890380

I was given these roses many years ago by someone, but they also had no idea which ones they were? They grow long canes, and bloom in Summer, then stop, and bloom again in Fall. Flowers are usually pink and white, but once in a while i'll get an all white ot all pink flower. Also, instead of the usual 4-5 petals, double petaled roses have magically been appearing on the canes at random.

I have also tried for 3 years to cross breed this rose (with it's frequent blooming flowers), with a Multiflora rose (for it disease resistance and large amount of smaller flowers). Every year early Summer I remove the petals from the almost opened rose, and remove the stamens, then after 24 hours apply the multiflora rose pollen to my roses (making sure that no other pink roses with stamens are blooming to ruin the hybridization) The rose hips seem to take, but after a week all shrivel up and die. It makes no sense?

Thumbnail by keithp2012
Click the image for an enlarged view.

keithp2012
West Babylon, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 14, 2011
4:41 PM

Post #8890381

Here's the normal rose petals.

Thumbnail by keithp2012
Click the image for an enlarged view.

porkpal
Richmond, TX

November 14, 2011
8:25 PM

Post #8890673

I'm afraid I can't be much help. I don't recognize your mystery rose. Do both of the potential parent roses normally set and hold hips? There are quite a lot of roses that normally don't. Have you tried crossing the two roses both ways?
keithp2012
West Babylon, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 15, 2011
8:51 AM

Post #8891188

Yes, both of these roses set hips very well, to0 well as a matter of fact and the birds eat the hips and the roses grow everywhere.

I have not been able to cross both ways. See the pink rose is growing in my garden. The other species of rose with the small white flowers grows wild at a park nearby and is not growing in my yard. I cant pollinate those flowers and expect to guard the rose hips from birds, so I collect blooming white flowers to bring to my house to pollinate my pink rose plant.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 20 Jun 5, 2014 10:15 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America