Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beekeeping: Bee Hive Had To Be Saved

Communities > Forums > Beekeeping
bookmark
Forum: BeekeepingReplies: 2, Views: 57
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
BEES4ME
Franklin, LA

November 15, 2011
7:21 PM

Post #8892015

I was called by a lady that was having a rotted pecan tree cut down to try to save the bee hive in it. I went and closed off the two entrance holes in the tree so it could be cut down without too many bees flying around on the workers. After the tree was cut down we cut above and below the approximate size of the nest and I put the log in the back of my truck and brought it home and placed it in my bee yard. They seem to be doing very well since I placed them in my bee yard. There are a large number of bees in the tree stump and I will wait till the spring to extract them from the stump and place them in a ten frame hive body. I hated to see them just destroyed when I could save them.

Thumbnail by BEES4ME
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Passionflowerz
Punta Gorda, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 16, 2011
6:22 AM

Post #8892461

YOU are the kind of person I adore to hear about! A responsible, considerate human being! Yay!!! You just made my morning one with a big, wide smile
on my face :)
TY
BEES4ME
Franklin, LA

February 14, 2012
5:32 PM

Post #9006959

Just of update everyone on the hive in the log I acquired in November 2011. The bees are doing fine and seem to be building up fine, so when it warms up a little more I will cut the top of the log off and put a deep hive body on top of it to try to get the queen and bees to move up into the deep. I hope that this works so I can cut the log open and take out the comb in the log. If this works it will save me from having to manually move the bees and queen to the hive body.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beekeeping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
To catch a honey bee... WUVIE 10 Mar 25, 2007 11:18 PM
Dead Bees countryfarms 17 Oct 7, 2010 11:42 AM
New Beekeepers SwarmCatcher 10 Sep 12, 2009 3:51 PM
Bee sting - bee stinger mygardens 27 Nov 12, 2008 4:04 PM
Bees in the ground starlight1153 45 Sep 9, 2009 9:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America