cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

November 15, 2011
11:18 PM

Post #8892250

We came from here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1197610/
Come and join us.We have a few medical problems but decided it's better to find the brighter side of life sometimes. Tho we're famous for getting off subject.We manage to come back to topic sometime or other.
Vickie

This message was edited Nov 16, 2011 1:32 AM
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

November 16, 2011
10:47 AM

Post #8892827

Thanks, Vickie. :-)
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

November 16, 2011
10:56 PM

Post #8893758

Yeah, thanks for the reminder, Vickie. I need to get my act and the links together and do the same for Practical Matters.
I had a teacher my Jr. year who was a real trip. She had this strange looking skirt (I think it was called a poodle skirt.) that she made girls wear during class if she thought the skirts they were wearing were too short. For the guys showing off their Calvin Klein underwear label, she had rainbow suspenders. I got called down for my off-the-shoulder thing once and had to wear this poncho that was a hundred eye-piercing colors. No self-respecting Mexican would have been caught dead in it.
MK and PJ are both a little out of it. Running low fevers, but so far fighting off the full effects of the flu making the rounds. They still managed to get a lot of house cleaning done while I was gone. I spent a few days with a couple I’ve been friends with a long time. The husband suffers from depression. (Is that a part of having MS?) I was hoping to interest him in gardening as a kind of therapy, but he is very much a city guy. He enjoys animals, however. I took him to the pet shop and the animals seem to lift him out of the doldrums. On Black Friday the humane society is doing a special event to try to get people to adopt their black and dark coated animals. People tend to choose lighter colored animals for some reason. I’m taking him to the event. I think doing volunteer work with the humane society might help him manage his depression better. I’m very glad now I begged and pleaded to keep Fenny from being taken to the pound. She would probably not have been adopted with her bristly black coat and strange eyes. She’s an awesome dog, but some people have a hard time getting passed her looks. Is Dylan's ear better, Vickie? ~N~
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2011
4:53 AM

Post #8893870

Thank you Nadene,Yes Dillen is much better. The ear is still draining a little but the cats have given up curling up next to him. Things are back to normal.
The reason I have black cats and dark dogs(except for Scoot)is i read about people not choosing black animals.
Am glad you spoke up for Fenny too.I love hearing about her.I think it's great too you are introducing your friend to animals. I read its great therapy.Works for me.
The poodle skirts go back to the late 50,s. I wanted one so bad. The one I remember was pink with a black poodle toward the bottom and an embroidered leash up to the waist. Under it one wore those awful starched net petticoats so it would flounce prettily when you walked.Personally I thought the "Sack" dress was the best invention. Oh so comfortable.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2011
2:22 PM

Post #8897333

I remember poodle skirts--not wearing then myself, but knowing about them as a part of Americana. At my kids' school they have a HUGE Tshirt, and if your skirt is too short or your shorts too slippery or your top too loo low cut, you have to walk around in this tent for the rest of the day. I think it works.
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

November 20, 2011
3:21 PM

Post #8898970

I think I remember seeing skirts like that in old Happy Days" episodes. It is the 30's and 40's that have always fascinated me, however. A legacy of my adopted GF introducing me to Big Band music which I really liked.
Last night we had an odd version of the battle of the sexes. We measured to see whether a male or female had the longest hair. There was a guy whose hair had never been cut, but the women took the prize in the end. I learned why some Cherokee still refer to members of the coastal tribes as “the long-hair people.” All that long hair whipping and swirling during dances was beautiful to see, but I’m glad I don’t have to care for it every day.
All eight tribal bands recognized by the state were represented and a few from border areas. That eight tribes stuff confused me at first since we were taught in Alabama history about the “FIVE civilized tribes” and it wasn’t that long ago that I was in school. Over-simplified knowledge is better than none I suppose. A Seminole man teased me that now I was getting to hang out with the uncivilized tribes too. lol. I like hangin' with the uncivilized then. There was a girl about my age who did an amazing version of the hoop dance. I lost count of how many hoops she was managing by the end. Unfortunately, I got so caught up in her performance I forgot I was supposed to be taking pictures.
Photo: The lady who won the hair battle for us.

Thumbnail by Sansai87
Click the image for an enlarged view.

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

November 20, 2011
5:50 PM

Post #8899174

Oh, wow. Nadine that looks like a wonderful time.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 22, 2011
7:23 PM

Post #8902087

I always wanted long straight hair...
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

November 23, 2011
5:45 AM

Post #8902455

It is beautiful, isn't it.

I've always had straight hair, sometimes long, always flat and fine. Always wanted springy curls and spent a lot of money I wish I had now on perms over the years. Thankfully, I decided to be happy with what I have a few years ago when I started growing it for donation. Nothing like a purpose to wean one off of that stuff. LOL
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

November 24, 2011
6:20 PM

Post #8904294

Hi, Dillen, Pookie, Zuzu and all my other four-leg cyber friends. It’s Fenny. I wanted to wish you a great Thanksgiving weekend while our two-leg buddies are sleeping off the meal. (Yeah, yeah, Miss Kitty, even you and Dogwood.).
Isn’t Thanksgiving the greatest thing peoples ever came up with! I scored big this year. A lady stepped on my tail, it didn’t really hurt. But, it startled me and I yipped. She felt bad about it and kept giving me treats to make up for it. She gave me big pieces of turkey and some venison off her plate. Not dropped on the floor or anything! Peoples aren’t really supposed to do that, but no one told her she couldn’t and I sure wasn’t going to. Also, I got to stay inside and help clean up. I picked up after the cooks and diners who dropped things. Don’t you love how messy little peoples are when they eat! I also helped my mistress cut down on the leftovers. (Gravy is very good. Potatoes and corn mush with shrimp in it was okay too. Although, it would have been better with less mushy corn and more shrimp. If peoples offer you ginger-glazed carrots or cranberry sauce, just say “No!”. Trust me on this. Old Tate liked the honeyed carrots, but we all know Tate’s a little weird. As always, Tate worked the crowd and scored lots of treats. She’s got that “poor, sweet old thing” routine down to a science. The nice turkey-and-venison lady christened me “batdog” and even asked if I wanted to come home with her. I thought about it, but my peoples here need me. It would sure be nice if she came back for Christmas dinner though. With her around, I get just as many goodies as Tate.
Wishing you warm beds and good leftovers. Your friend, Fenrira

Thumbnail by Amargia

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 24, 2011
6:35 PM

Post #8904312

Never knew her real name, or forgot! lol, Kay!
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

November 25, 2011
6:55 AM

Post #8904891

Fenny, you is one lucky odg. Our mom wouldn't cook us a turkey so we hid her knee brace. Now we can't remember where - we do live in the moment. There was lots of water falling out of the sky last night. We cuddled with Mom cause it was weird and strange. She went to bed early cause she cut her hand bad. We helped keep her warm and feeling safe. Sure wish we had a big turkey but we got our usual chicken and brown rice and, like always, we shared without much fuss. Jenny and the furballs.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

November 25, 2011
7:07 AM

Post #8904898

Guess all our furbabies got thanksgiving too.plenty of everything.Fenra is beautiful.
Our electricity went off for a couple of hours last night. My first thought was of an old movie where someone turned on their first christmas lights and the electricity all over town went off.
Nadene, Your get together sounds wonderful.Glad the women won the long hair contest.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 25, 2011
2:13 PM

Post #8905417

Lol you guys are a riot! Katie, I hope your hand is ok; you need to be able to type. Take care of yourself.

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 30, 2012
11:41 AM

Post #9063313

Hi everyone...is this thread still runnung?
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

March 31, 2012
9:47 PM

Post #9065027

Sheri, Someones always around somewhere. How are you? Are you healed back to normal?
I 've been busy in my container garden. Sure has been nice being outside.
Vickie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #9065288

We got back from TX where we couldn't agree on how much AC to use because it was so HOT, to Boston, where we could see our breath in the parking lot. Oh boy, such a big temperature change in such a short time. I mean I've had that when I've chosen it for a vacation but I guess it's kind of overwhelming when combined with the surgery and all the other stressors! Anyway, NOT nice outside in Boston, but cool and my new dogwoood is budding!

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 1, 2012
1:40 PM

Post #9065711

The VA authorized fee-basis Physical therapy up to three times a week thru 4/1. a woman from my church is my phys therapist thru Advanced Home Care. I have a bout an hours workout to do at least 2 times daily. My inner core is getting stronger and I am hopeful of getting back to normal within a few months!!

Doing fine, very blessed and all my furry kids are fine too.

Sheri

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2012
2:00 PM

Post #9065734

That is great, Sheri! I'm a big believer in PT, having been a beneficiary of it many times. It is hard work but it is SO good for you. And you will look like you have a personal trainer.

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 1, 2012
3:05 PM

Post #9065790

;-D
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

April 1, 2012
8:18 PM

Post #9066162

Hi, Sheri! Thanks for reviving this thread. Do you still have your Dogwood? Lol. Mr. DeKat?

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 6, 2012
12:48 AM

Post #9071523

O yes, Mr Dogwood deKatt is alive well and wild when playing with his younger brother, Chester and also his next older sister, Marley. They all do zommies and also have "play fights" that can get very loud at times.

His thread has a pic of him as a small guy and now he's a huge loving 18# big boy!!

Sheri & the house full of furbies
Pookie, Harmony, Sara, Marley, Dogwood deKatt and Chester!!

Thumbnail by BirdieBlue

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

April 6, 2012
9:26 PM

Post #9072682

Good to hear how you and your furbabies are doing.Prissy,my cat just came in and could'nt find me.Silly thing howls till she finds me.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 7, 2012
9:14 AM

Post #9073049

it's so amazing to learn how IMPORTANT we are to others, don't you think? I don't feel indispensable at all, but when I was in the hospital, mail didn't get opened, phone calls didn't get answered and apparently nobody slept. I picture my own DH howling because he can't find me!
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

April 9, 2012
4:28 AM

Post #9075026

LOL
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

April 11, 2012
9:23 AM

Post #9078411

When I was feeling bad about not being able to carry my weight around here, Kay said, “So, you are not a gear in the machine anymore. Now, you are the grease that keeps the machine going. Adapt!” lol.
Yesterday, sitting at a stop light, I noticed a sign on the back of a C.O.P.S. pest control truck. It read, “Fear no weevil.” :-) (Jim)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2012
10:07 AM

Post #9078490

hahaha!
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

April 12, 2012
10:57 PM

Post #9080487

Jim! You mean you are that gooey,slimy stuff that stains everyones clothing?roflol. I could'nt resist! The devil made me say it.
We know what a charmer you are.
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

April 17, 2012
9:45 AM

Post #9086183

Gee, thanks, Vickie. ROFL. Is keeping men humble part of the training?
KAY AND Nadine say I’ve gone from having a “deck farm” to a “deck prairie.” The spring veggies were done so I re-planted my sunny deck boxes in zoysia grass. The process of leveling the area around the deck left it bare. I found some Zoysia seeds on sale so I’m starting the new lawn grass myself. Actually, it is still my deck farm. I put some eggplant in the boxes as well. I do think I will tip my hat to ornamental gardening and put coleus and caladiums in the shady boxes. There just aren’t many edibles that will grow in the shade during summer. (Jim)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2012
4:27 PM

Post #9089381

Correct...I'm moving to tx to find some sun!

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 20, 2012
9:12 AM

Post #9090147

I sure hope you don't end up in the modst of tornados and heavy rains and recort high heat. Hopeing the best for you Carrie!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 20, 2012
1:58 PM

Post #9090594

Me too--fingers, toes, legs, ankles and everything else crossed. Thanks, Sheri.

This is the scary part where we're paying rent and mortgage both, about to apply for Medicaid in TX and lose it in MA. Theoretically it should all work, but theories and real life aren't always lined up.
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

April 21, 2012
4:21 PM

Post #9092010

Oh, I do hope the move goes smoothly, Carrie. Fingers crossed for you.
Finally, Nadi seems to have passed through her frog and toad phase. It is Amargia’s feathered inhabitants she is fascinated with this year. A cardinal has nested just outside her bedroom window. She is as protective of the nest as Mama Cardinal. The nest was built only about chest high, but considering the nest is deep within the depths of one of the ‘Flying Dragon’ orange trees, I think it is as safe from predators as it can possibly be. I can’t imagine anything challenging that twisting tangle of thorns. Nadine and Fenny did in a big, fat Florida wood rat. I don’t think it was after bird eggs, but I can’t say I’m upset by its demise. That could easily explain fruit and bulbs that disappeared from beds near the house. I had never seen such a large one this far north. It is a good thing I didn’t know they were there 12 years ago. With my rodent phobia, I don’t know how well I would have done living in the woods by myself if I had been aware an enormous rat was sharing the woods with me. lol. For some reason, opossums don’t evoke that knee jerk response. It was so large I thought it was a possum. I didn’t jump up on the lawn chair and squeal until Nadi told me what it was. lol.
We harvested the dewberries that we planted to drape over a retaining wall. It was so convenient not to have to hunt them. Jim could harvest them from his w/c. The flavor was excellent. Nadi soaked the crushed berries in sweetened cream and we had them over waffles. Yum!!! k*
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

April 21, 2012
11:44 PM

Post #9092416

Kay, You really know how to hurt a person. Course it's early for mine yet.I'll make up for lost time when they get ripe.
I don't like rats but I hate snakes. So-o-o given my druthers?? My cats hate rats. They consider mice toys.
I need to get outside and play in my plants tomorrow.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2012
6:42 AM

Post #9092601

Ahhh I'm home while DD graduates High School. Just in time for the beautiful dogwood planted outside last mothers day to bloom! We have always wanted something, at least I have. that I could see out the bedroom window, and we have a tradition of buying live flowering shrubs for mothers day. (Mother's Day? Mothers' Day?) This one is a pink (maybe "red") dogwood that's actually pretty common around here. We wanted to buy one; first went to fancy store it was several hundred dollars for a small named cultivar. ended up at Home Depot with a generic brand X dogwood that was larger for under 50. Then of course we didn't get to plant it for a while, now it's glorious!
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

April 23, 2012
4:50 AM

Post #9093862

Oooops, brain malfunction. Not enough caffeine yet. Confusing my websites. I forgot we aren't all Amargia on this site. ~N~

This message was edited Apr 23, 2012 6:07 AM
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

April 23, 2012
5:31 AM

Post #9093912

Okay, now I'm me. lol.
Carrie, maybe, you will get a cardinal to watch too. Dogwoods are a favorite nesting tree for cardinals. Our Ms. Cardinal made an odd nesting choice. It still seems too low to the ground for safety, but between the thorns and Fenny, it might be her best choice. Squirrels are their major predators. Squirrels are a common site on the forest edge and scampering along the roadside, but Fenny doesn’t allow them in the yard. You always hear that humans and their pets are a danger to wildlife. Some wildlife has evidently learned how to work the system. lol.
Well, the swamp rat put an end to Mama Kay’s talk of going dog-less. Now she is talking about rat terriers. lol. A dog is almost a requirement for life in the country, I think.
Ms. C. is appreciating being against the warm, south side of the house this morning. It is actually chilly. With 90 degree temps so early in the season, we all thought the 2012 growing season would be a scorcher. This will teach us to think. :-)
BTW: I remain Nadine, The Frog Queen. They are still my favorite subjects. I'm simply expanding my realm. ~N~
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

April 25, 2012
7:43 PM

Post #9097932

We don’t have any dogwoods. Well, there are some wild ones in the woods, but those are a “no touch.” I think I would like to have a white blooming variety for the Old Soldiers Garden and maybe one for the CanDo Garden.
Went to Harbor Freight today to buy some casters for the deep freeze. (Now that I can move it easily, it might get swept behind and under more often. That’s the idea anyway. When I go to the tool store I always drop by the nursery on my way home. Kay focuses on the new plants and doesn’t ask me how much I spent at the hardware store. (“Hello. My name is Jim and I am a tool and hardware addict.”) My dearly beloved doesn’t think I can be trusted by myself at a tool store. But, then, I don’t think she can be trusted by herself at a plant nursery.
Found a ½ price Easter lily. The tag said it was ‘Tiny Hope,” but it was white,not red. It must have been mislabeled. Probably, why it was on sale. Still a gorgeous find. It will be a welcome sight next year at its natural bloom time of July. Also, found some wooly thyme, New Zealand brass buttons, garlic chives and moss rose.
Did anyone get hit hard by the cold snap? I forgot to push my bottle palm inside. It seems to have survived my neglect, however. Didn’t get cold enough to do any real damage. (Jim)
Photo #1: Mrs. C.’s house.
Photo #2: Today, it was blackberry cake with Dream Whip.

Thumbnail by seacanepain   Thumbnail by seacanepain
Click an image for an enlarged view.

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 27, 2012
2:55 PM

Post #9100349

mmmmmmm...looks so good!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 27, 2012
4:03 PM

Post #9100428

I know, the cake, right? Yummy!
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

April 27, 2012
11:31 PM

Post #9100793

It must be so nice to have a cook in the house! I'm going cold, easy foods right now. My poor DD will probably starve. The doctor told my DD she was really deficit in B12 thus her sore mouth. That cake looked good enough to eat Will be glad to come help you eat it. Still no blackberrys here.
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

April 28, 2012
3:50 PM

Post #9101551

I did it again, lol what is with my brain today

This message was edited Apr 28, 2012 4:51 PM
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

April 28, 2012
3:51 PM

Post #9101554

Cooking gets me out of much of the heavy work. ;-) There has been a lot of rain lately so the gnats are so bad I don’t like being outside right now. I’ve been pricing the insect protective clothing. There are these mosquito netting pants you can wear over shorts and a net blouse you can wear over your tank top with an attached hood and veil. I would wear it! It is no stranger looking than bee hive tending gear. (PJ is talking about using a scrap of mosquito netting we have to make himself some “ear nets.” If he follows through with that there will very definitely be photos. lol.
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

April 28, 2012
3:59 PM

Post #9101567

Fenny stepped into one of the wet concrete slabs MK was making for the outside of the ramp walls. I pulled out the marbles and paint and had some fun with it. It will still work as an inner wall for my “hobbit house.” (Yes, I’m still working on my underground hideout. Lol. )

Thumbnail by Sansai87

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 29, 2012
1:21 PM

Post #9102758

Are you trying to catch hobbits, or just make them comfy while they're visiting?
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

April 29, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9102934

Just making sure they have a safe shelter during hurricanes and tornadoes. ~N~

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 29, 2012
5:44 PM

Post #9103000

Gotcha.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

April 29, 2012
9:17 PM

Post #9103333

Do Hobbits bring gold or other goodies with them?
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

April 30, 2012
12:32 PM

Post #9104115

I have received the most wonderful news. Kay has been wrestling with the loss of the final little bit of her vision. She has been “spiritwalking” as she calls it. Reading the Bible and praying and taking time out for the truly important things. She has accepted Christ wholeheartedly. A Calm and smiling Kay may take some getting used to though. Lol.
Mr. And Mrs. Cardinal are parents. Nadine is still picking blackberries. Lettuce is coming up in a hanging basket in the kitchen window. It will be nice to still have sweet lettuce when heat has made the lettuce outside grow bitter. (Jim)

P.S.--I have heard that they have harry feet those hobbits do.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 30, 2012
3:24 PM

Post #9104383

Wow, lettuce coming up in a hanging basket! That's something!

Our sympathy is with Kay. I don't know the right words. She is one of my heroes.
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

May 2, 2012
7:25 AM

Post #9106968

Thank you Carrie

Kay is on sabbatical recovering we hope she will be back on-line soon.
Till then I may be spotty getting posts on here but I will strive to flower in adversity as they say.
God Bless yall. (Jim)
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 9, 2012
12:44 AM

Post #9116704

I Pray God and your Spirit will envelope you in celestial light along the trail of your life.
love you, Vickie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 9, 2012
2:21 PM

Post #9117548

Happy Birthday, Sheri, if you're out there! (Hello, hello, hello, hello hello...) (Everyone heard the echoes?)
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

May 9, 2012
6:59 PM

Post #9117875

Thanks, Carrie. You are among my heroes too.
I’ll add my voice to the echo. Happy Birthday, Sheri! We are reminded it is your b’day when the Easter lilies bloom. They are putting on quite a show this year.
I think I got a visit from one of your angels, Vickie. I’ve accepted the new reality and am adjusting. Working through some practical problems now such as Braille labels falling off plant markers and the like. I think I’ve come up with a pretty and fun solution to the problem. Photos and details later.
Came home to find many of the daylilies in bloom, tiny grapes forming and a new crop of snow peas. The latter was a real surprise. The tall, narrow plastic drum I turned into a planter had not done well in past years. It became too hot and dried out very fast. I couldn’t even get artichokes to grow in it. This year we put a wire cage around it and put a tire planter at the base. The wire and the plants climbing up and down it give enough shade to keep it cool. Not sure yet what I will plant in it once the peas have done their thing, but now I know the idea will work. k*

#1: white Asiatic lilies
#2: Experiment to keep a tall, narrow planter cooler is working.
#3: ‘Mama’s cherry pie’ daylily
#4: Baby grapes
#5: ‘October Fest’ daylily.

Thumbnail by Amargia   Thumbnail by Amargia   Thumbnail by Amargia   Thumbnail by Amargia   Thumbnail by Amargia

seacanepain
Midland City, AL

May 11, 2012
9:13 AM

Post #9119813

A week of inactivity was all Kay could stand she is up and going LOL.

Nadine says the Cardinals have grown and the parents have gone to the second nest for there new kids the old nest has been acquired by a wren to use maybe more little chirpers to come :-).

As for me I am getting ready to start the living room floor on the better paint we love the way the kitchen came out. (JIM)

pictures

#1: Zinnias and a marigold in my front bed but I need to get busy getting the grass out again lol
#2: Gardenia flowers ohh! the beautiful smell.
#3: Chinese Chariot
#4: Wild prickly Pear

Thumbnail by seacanepain   Thumbnail by seacanepain   Thumbnail by seacanepain   Thumbnail by seacanepain

Sansai87
Midland City, AL

May 13, 2012
1:02 AM

Post #9121712

Everyone that contributes to this thread is my hero. When you keep on smiling and laughing despite what the world throws at you, that is an act of heroism.
A belated Happy Birthday, Sheri. Hope you had a wonderful day.
Discovered we have a Summer Tanager in addition to the cardinals. They look like cardinals at a casual glance. Year by year, as the land becomes lusher, it seems a wider variety of birds are showing up. Or, maybe, I’m just paying more attention so I’m seeing more. There is a useful website called What Bird that makes feathered friends easier to identify.
I read a funny story on one of the bird sites. Cardinals will use whatever is at hand to build their nest. A cardinal nest was found in an urban area that had a piece of a Sun Chip bag work into the outside of the nest. The part of the bag that was used read: “made with completely biodegradable materials.” Lol. ~N!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 14, 2012
2:55 PM

Post #9123767

Thanks, Nadine! Hello,Armagia folks. Welcome back, Kay! Good to see you back.

This is scary, guys...we applied for Medicaid in Texas. I mean I did. I insured the cars in Texas. This half and half part is hard. I wasn't online for days and days!

We bought a blue pot, though, and a hibiscus that would die in Boston in our yard.

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 16, 2012
1:24 AM

Post #9125587

HOWDY Carrie,Big Welcome! Kay, Are you being haved?
My cats discourage birds this year. Even my woodpecker has deserted me. I have yellow and red asiatic lillys blooming. A pink hydrangia, petunias,marigolds, still no daylillys.
I'm going outside for a little campfire everynight. DD and hubby caught some fish today and want me to cook them outside tomorrow. Should be fun.
I walked down our lane and picked up some little firewood in a wheelbarrow. The dogs and cats went along. We made a good parade. Cricket led the parade and 2 of the cats brought up the rear. None would pick up wood. Maybe i ought to work on that.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 16, 2012
8:37 AM

Post #9125941

Being HAVED?

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 17, 2012
10:21 AM

Post #9127256

I am being haves, but it isn't very fun!
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 20, 2012
10:44 PM

Post #9131392

DUH!!!! Did i goof or did i GOOF! Thats what i always asked the girls in fun when I was really asking Are you behaving yourself.LOL SORRY ABOUT THAT.

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2012
5:43 AM

Post #9131563

My Momma has used that ever since long ago my little brother answered, "Yes, Mommy, I am being haved"

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 21, 2012
11:00 AM

Post #9132044

OH! Well, in general, I would say, NO, I am not behaving myself. But that's normal for me.
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

May 21, 2012
2:19 PM

Post #9132314

It is a rainy afternoon. I’ve had to find indoor mischief to get into. (I had a week in the hospital with people seeing to it I behaved. It was boring and expensive! Since I was behaved perfectly for 7 days, I should be able just to rest on my laurels for awhile. Don’t you think?
Today’s mad scheme is to make plant labels out of beads strung in patterns like the Braille code. Round beads standing for dots in the Braille code, tubular beads for blank spots and spacer beads to mark each six-bead cell. The dots in a Braille cell have corresponding numbers 1 thru 6. Like, the letter “A” is dot 1. The 2-3-4-5 and 6 spaces are blank. So, in my system, “A” would be one round bead followed by 5 tubular beads and a spacer bead to mark off the 6 bead cell It may sound complicated, but, I would rather string beads than work with super glue. I have a super glue horror story. (I suspect most people do whether they ~fess up about it or not.) Super glue is what it takes to get Braille tape labels to stick to plant markers in our humid conditions. My bead “labels” have the advantage that the dogs don’t pull them up for chew toys the way they do wood and plastic labels. Jim foresees a problem, however. He thinks swaying strands of beads strung on fishing line tied to the end of a bamboo stake is the equivalent of fishing for cats. Lol.
We’ve been working on the sitting area of the CanDo Container Garden. Jim thought having mondo grass mark the edge of beds, in addition to their being marked by the concrete of patio and walkways, was “like wearing a belt in addition to suspenders.” lol. We are moving the mondo to beside the irrigation trench to reduce weeding under the shrubs there. I think I’m going to like the neater, minimized look of the sitting area and will love not having to weed so much along the irrigation trench. We put our whole iris collection in one large bed. The jury is still out on whether or not that was a good idea.
The hydrangea bloomed very pink this year. Rare in this area where soil tends to be acidic. Jim, of course, thinks there was a soil pH altering conspiracy. The swamp lilies (native crinum) have started blooming also. Combined with gardenia and some late blooming mags in the woods, the scent-scape is heavenly. The wild orange daylilies are putting on their show. Even with all the named cultivars we have now, I still look forward to the “ditch lilies” doing their thing. The best thing about the cultivars is that they extend daylily season in both directions. k*

Thumbnail by Amargia

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 21, 2012
3:02 PM

Post #9132375

Oh, Kay, it sounds like it smells beautiful! Maybe you can advise me...what would be happy in a container in zone 7b (or higher)? It's not so much that it's hotter--it's a whole different type of climate. (Still in MA for May, though.) Lovely hydrangea. Nothing in Dallas smells good--I'm thinking hummingbird mint?

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2012
3:31 PM

Post #9132408

Kay, do you have any Carolina Allspice busk, AKA, Sweet Shrub,
SpiceBush, Sweet Bubby??? The fragrance is so heavenly. I have many volunteers that have been taken up today, or seeds.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 22, 2012
9:29 PM

Post #9134563

Sheri,I'd love some seeds. Do you have Moneyplant seeds?
Carrie, Oriental lilys will grow there. I've got some growing in a large container. Some roses have a heavenly scent. I am not too fond of roses. They are (to me) the spoiled brats of the flower world. David Austin roses are antiques and seem to do well in ETEX.
yep my fingers have been glued together by super glue. Did you know some doctors are using superglue instead of stitching up a cut.
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

May 23, 2012
2:35 PM

Post #9135504

Yes, Sheri, we would appreciate a start of sweetshrub. Is that a N. Carolina native? Check out the list we are creating of Amargia’s plants and see if anything catches your interest. (Our actual trade list is sadly neglected.) Nadi recently tried to trade some of her swamp lilies for sweetshrub. But, we aren’t absolutely sure what we call swamp lilies are crinum americanum. They are possibly some other form of crinum and Nadi’s would-be trade partner was exclusively interested in Carolina natives. The crinum we have has been traveling with her family from place to place for generations. And her father’s family settled originally in the Georgetown area. That it is a crinum whose ancestors once grew in the S. C. low country is all the info we really have about it. I keep telling myself I’m going to put a picture in DG’s plant ID. Maybe, when it blooms again in Oct. and has recovered from its most recent move. It is blooming, but its appearance has suffered from the recent move. I can smell why someone would go to the effort of digging this up and taking it with them when they moved. The scent is strong, but not over-bearing. It is sweet and pure. It is a scent-scape favorite in May and October. . Proving you don’t have to botanically know a plant to appreciate it. Or, at least, I don’t. k*

Thumbnail by Amargia   Thumbnail by Amargia

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2012
7:12 PM

Post #9135907

Ooooh, twist my arm! I would love one of those Crinums if you have enough. Don't know where this multi named shrub started out, but many around here say their g'mas had them.
No money plant. had that at one time and if I remember correctly it spread to much for my little garden at that time.
BB

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 24, 2012
6:42 PM

Post #9137299

Strong, sweet and pure? Sounds delicious! My favorite smells are bridal veil (wreath) spirea (almost over), peony (about to start), and syringia ACK the species lilac from China or maybe Japan that's blooming right now. Egads, that is irritating, when I know something perfectly well, I just can't put my finger on the right word.

My two daughters are involved in a face-off tonight; the one (age 18) is a bridesmaid in a wedding this weekend and the other (age 21) is driving here from AZ, arriving tonight. There is a lot of friction between the two kids...has been for years, probably ever since 21 moved out in 8th grade. (She was flunking out of school so she moved in with grandma and went to school in her town instead.) But they just don't treat each other well. I am usually in the middle of it. 21 will be living in our house in MA while we're in TX and while 18 gets used to the fact that she goes to college now and is sort of homeless. She always has a home with us, of course, but she can't have a bedroom in our house in TX and in our house in MA and at Grandma's house and at college...that's four bedrooms, not including the one at her birth father's house which is more of a gueat room but still. She will feel more at home at school pretty soon but for now she feels like she's being kicked out.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 25, 2012
11:57 PM

Post #9138946

LOL Carrie, Leaving home the first time must be tramatic. I was glad and never looked back at it as home. DD#1 almost went into shock when i turned her bedroom into a craft room the next day.DD#2 had it easier I did'nt need another room except when the grandsons spent the night.Her room was just fine for that.
It took DD#1 ALMOST 10 years to change her boys rooms. I think what changed her mind was one boy moved back in for several years and she said never again.LOL
Bless their hearts these kids have to learn to jump the nest and fly.then they can always come back.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 26, 2012
6:09 PM

Post #9139811

Well, I did go to college for 2 years (but I came home for Thanksgiving and Christmas) and I moved from a tiny house where I lived for a few years to this house where I've lived for 19 years.
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

May 27, 2012
9:51 PM

Post #9141253

I couldn’t wait to get away from the farm when I turned 16. Then, 30 years later, I bought the farm. (A small part of it anyway.) ROFL. It took a long time for me to come to appreciate the beauty of my corner of the world. The pastor of my church comes from coastal Mississippi and I heard an interesting statistic on that state just today. While it ranks near the bottom when it comes to per capita income (49th, if I remember correctly), it ranks #6 among the states when it comes to sharing a percentage of that income. I’ve seen enough in my years to believe that makes Mississippi a rich state. When you return to Massachusetts in 3 years, Carrie, you will probably have a list of things you love about the state. Lol.
Today my middle daughter made a “comment” about sisters on her Facebook page. She wrote: “I love my sisters, but…bahahahaha!.” It was followed by the picture of a toddler holding the doggie door open for his baby sister with one hand and shoving her diapered bottom with the other. Can’t wait to see her sisters' responses on their own Facebook pages. Thanks to FB, they can now take digs at one another from opposite sides of the continent. Lol.
Despite being in our 60-‘s and 70’s, my 5 sisters and I still have our sibling spats. The same ones we’ve been having for decades. “You were always Mom’s favorite.” “You were such a Daddy’s girl.”, “You had it easy compared to me.”, etc. You might be encouraged to know that the arguments have gotten more civilized as we’ve grown older. There hasn’t been any hair pulling in years. ;-) Funny thing about sisters is there is no collation between loyalty and being nice to one another. Woe to anyone who calls my sister a name, even if I called her that very name 10 minutes ago. lol. I think there is some truth to the saying that no two siblings have the same parents.
Jim lost his Dad last week so we celebrated Memorial Day with him in mind. He fought at the battle of Okinawa in WWII so we made a point of watching a history channel documentary on that battle. I never knew it was such a nightmare. Bought a couple of VFW Buddy Poppies in remembrance. James Smith, Sr. always wore a Buddy Poppy on Memorial Day. k*
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 28, 2012
2:20 AM

Post #9141317

Where do you buy the buddy poppies? I have'nt seen one in years.
My brother-in-law Earl was in the Philapenes (SP)during WW2. He went AWOL there for a month, built a Still and was welcomed back with open arms. All three of the brothers were great soldiers but all three did something completely dumb at one time and got away with it. They were still heros.Of course we love the antic stories.Must be the southern rebel in us. LOL
Debra, one of the DL you gave me bloomed today. A beautiful maroon almost black. I love it.
My sympathy to Jim. Will be praying for him.
My fairy bells are blooming their hearts out.

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2012
8:55 AM

Post #9141685

Fairy Bells??

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 28, 2012
9:14 AM

Post #9141701

Oh, Jim, I'm sorry about your father. It's difficult to have it happen close to Memorial Day. Please accept my sympathy.

DD#2 is having a hard time and acting like a baby. I think, given the person she is, it's inevitable, but not fun to live through. DD#1 is SO self-righteous, too. Glad DH and I will be mostly alone in DFW.
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

May 28, 2012
2:54 PM

Post #9142181

Fairy Bells AKA pink oxalis ours has gone dormant now till the fall.
Here is a picture of our oxalis river.

Thumbnail by seacanepain

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2012
4:03 PM

Post #9142281

Oh yed, you sent me ssome and they bloomed wonderfully this spring. I really enjoy them.
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

May 31, 2012
2:50 PM

Post #9146586

Sheri, we’ve kept your address in our package labels file just in case. Can I assume it hasn’t changed? We will leave our address in your Dmail. Swamp lily will bloom in sun or shade, but is more aromatic with some sun. The leaves are strappy and a bit lax so a large container or somewhere their leaves can drape is best. Despite their name, they do okay with an average amount of water in normal garden conditions.
There is an upside to having things flower later in the season, Vickie. I bet you can have a wider variety of things blooming in late summer. If it were not for crepe myrtle, sunflowers and lantana the August garden would be dreary here. I consider adding more lantana varieties for August even though I’m mildly allergic to them. Lantanas keep going even in 3-digit heat. Oh, there you go, Carrie. Another candidate for containers in the Texas heat. Lantana! Oddly, I like the sharp edged scent of lantana and marigolds in high summer.
Nadi likes her independence, but Fenny refuses to move out. Officially, she is Nadi’s dog and should go with her. But, in Fenny-dogs world view, we are all members of HER pack and she has delusions of being the alpha. k*

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2012
4:21 PM

Post #9148215

Yes my address is the same. thanks for remembering me. with high med bills lately, not sure I will be renewing on 7/4. If not i sure have enjoyed all and each of you friends over the past few years..
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

June 2, 2012
12:33 PM

Post #9149214

Yes,Sheri, I know the crunch. Send seeds. It will be more affordable. Postage is getting ridiculous.

I was complaining today about having to pay more than double what I’ve been paying for my Cymbalta. I may have to switch to something the VA will cover. My GP put me on Cymbalta because it helps with neuropathy , in addition to being an anti-depressant. I worry that the Brand X anti-depressant the VA will cover won’t have the same effect.

I’ve had to moved my tomato in an eBucket even closer to the house. A deer took a bite out of of an almost ripe tomato. If they rob it where it is now, Fenny and Tater-dog are fired!

The deer haven’t touched my cultivar daylilies even those on the boundry near a deer trail. Those are in flipped tire containers with smelly-leafed yarrow growing around close by. Maybe, they don’t like the ““scent-scape,” as Kay calls it. Or, maybe, they just like tomatoes better. :( They snacked on our orange native daylilies too, Vickie… and ignored a pink very old variety that looks just like the orange natives except for the color. I thought deer couldn’t see orange. That proves it! The does are part of The Pink Conspiracy.

Carrie, there are dwarf crepe myrtles that will grow in containers. I just read a book set in Boston/Cambridge that mentioned crepe myrtle trees as part of the natural setting.. That was a surprise. I didn’t know they would grow in MA. (Jim) _

Thumbnail by seacanepain   Thumbnail by seacanepain   Thumbnail by seacanepain

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 2, 2012
4:20 PM

Post #9149492

Jim, RE-VA coverage for meds. They will authorize 'fee basis' payment for 'out of formulary' meds if the brands that the VA carries have proven ineffective for you. If, like me, you have had numerous u unsuccessful or ineffective trials with the cheaper generic brands. Your civilian MD should be able to provide such documentation in the form of a letter to the VA. Cymbalta was authorized for me, but it was bad news--increased suicidal ideation.
You are in my prayers and hopefully this will work out for you.

Sheri/ BB
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2012
9:29 AM

Post #9150209

Prayers going out to Sheri and Jim.Cymbalta is totally out for me I have too many suicidal thoughts anyway.I'm with the very old prozac.

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 3, 2012
4:40 PM

Post #9150673

me too, Vicki!
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 4, 2012
9:59 AM

Post #9151637

Nadi and I are both on Lexapro which is basically a cheap version of Prozac. I don’t think it is considered generic because it is made by a certain company. I can’t discern a difference between the effects of Lexapro and Prozac so I’m satisfied. The older anti-depressants were horrible. I’ve seen entire books criticizing Prozac. The people who write those obviously don’t remember the older ones. I do think it might be over-prescribed. I mean, come on, Prozac to cure nail biting! That sounds like overkill. ALL drugs have a risk factor. I don’t remember exactly how my mother cured my sister of nail biting, but I am certain no drugs were involved.
I hope you aren’t getting too warm a welcome to Texas, Carrie. It was in the upper 90s here yesterday. Nighttime temps are still down in the 70’s so the garden is still productive. It is down to weeding, watering and harvesting for us. There is still time to plant okra and pink-eyed, purple hulled peas, but the meds I’m on now make me more sensitive to heat. I may just enjoy what I have and wait for late August when it will be time for the fall garden. I’ve become a seed junkie. Let’s see if I can go without propagating anything for 3 months. lol. k*

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 5, 2012
6:04 AM

Post #9152958

I'm still in BOSTON! The moving company left all kinds of stuff behind! Yikes.
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

June 5, 2012
6:32 AM

Post #9152983

Oh, Carrie, can you call their office? I am never going to move again. When I die they can put me on the compost heap. hugs, katie
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

June 5, 2012
11:58 PM

Post #9154165

OH YES!! I remember the effects of some of those early anti depressents. The only reason one was'nt depressed was cause one could'nt wake up enough to know if one was depressed or not.Also made me gain lots of weight. And the electro-shock treatments made me forget everything. Still don't know everything that happened during that time. But they were still a releif.I also injoyed making lots of crafts.Also learned to make my own coping mechinisms(SP) Crafting etc.
Kay, I'll be down when the peas are ready. Love those purple hulls.
Ya know? I really miss the canning and freezing i used to do. I have some neighbors that are selling tame blackberrys, am thinking about buying some and making jam. I could probably scrounge around and find something to put up.I bought strawberries earlier but ate them all before i could freeze them.
Katie, I can think of worse places to be buried. Just think of turning into beautiful flowers.
Carrie, Want all of us to come move those movers along?

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 8, 2012
4:36 PM

Post #9157486

OK, we did get the "relocation company" to come back and pick up the stuff they forgot, which gave us a chance to add a few more things to the pile. I'd really rather it be up to us, I think, and have it be our responsibility to do it right. This leaving it to someone else just STINKS! I mean, we probably wouldn't have packed as nicely as they did but I wouldn't have left key parts of the bed frame behind, either!

GGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Ok, I feel better now, thanks.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

June 13, 2012
2:11 AM

Post #9163156

Oh Carrie, Are they going to look for it or replace it?

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2012
9:44 AM

Post #9164858

We bought a piece of wood at Home Depot for $0.51 that works perfectly. My laughing for joy today is I spent the night in my own bed with my own husband and slept better than I have in months!!!!!
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

June 15, 2012
6:37 PM

Post #9166895

Way to go Carrie!!!!!!!

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 15, 2012
8:43 PM

Post #9167114

OT (sorry)- I want all of y friends here and on other threads to know just how much I have learned from you and how special each and every one of you are to me.
It is looking grim on me renewing my DG membership in a couple weeks, I have had much increased medical & pharmacy charges, and find myself hanging on a wing and a prayer.
I shall miss you all very much and will continue to lift each of you up in my prayers.

Much love,
Sheri :-(
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

February 9, 2013
8:45 AM

Post #9413028

I had to laugh at Tater-dog yesterday. She loves her squeaky toys and is very possessive of them. She heard the sound of one of her toys being squeaked and got very frustrated trying to locate the toy thief.
This is the first year we have had a brown-headed nuthatch living here. Their chirps sound just like a squeaky toy. Poor Tate isn’t the brightest of dogs. I think she still suspects the birds of stealing one of her squeaky toys and hiding it up in a tree. (Jim)
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

February 9, 2013
10:25 AM

Post #9413103

That is funny, Jim. Thanks for sharing. kb

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2013
12:11 PM

Post #9413212

Good to see this thread pop up!

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2013
1:47 PM

Post #9413339

Oh my...that is too funny!!!
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

July 8, 2013
6:23 PM

Post #9592233

I made a lovely bird bath. True, like most of the things here it was made from junk, but I went to great effort to make it look like a classic piece of garden art. It is marble white with an antique gold rim and has a lovely piece of white quartz sitting in the center for the bird's to alight on.
When Nadi arrived this morning, she told me of a small vatican of cardinals that were playing in the bird bath. I grabbed the camera and shoved it into Jim's hands, imagining the photo that scene would make. The crimson plumage of the bird against the old gold and ivory would be like Nature's version of an old ruby pendant. You've probably notice the absence of a photograph. It turned out the birds were not enjoying my attempt at sophisticated garden art, but were instead frolicking in an old charcoal grill painted bright yellow that I was in the process of turning into a raised bed for the children's garden. I hadn't leveled it or filled it with soil so rain had collected in the downhill side during our recent storms. Cardinals, it seems, like their garden art edgy and avant garde. ;-)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 8, 2013
7:27 PM

Post #9592340

Lovely visual picture, Kay. You can always makes me see things without a picture.

I took a quiz the other day to find my true "learning style." My daughter with ADD is always telling me she's a kinetic learner, and I was wondering why I am so disappointed with all the things I forget to talk about at MD appointments. Yup, I'm a visual learner, meaning I have to see things written down or in a chart or a graph or a list. Which is why I can never remember the instructions for how to adjust the wheelchair after the guy leaves. I touch the parts that adjust certain features, and while he's there, I can work it, but once he leaves, I can never figure it out again. That's not really a laughing for joy, just a baby insight.
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

July 10, 2013
7:43 AM

Post #9593900

You received your new chair?! That's a joyful event.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 10, 2013
9:36 AM

Post #9594030

Yup!
lonejack
Longview, WA
(Zone 8b)

July 10, 2013
10:44 PM

Post #9594839

Hi Friends,
Here is a Cattail bird feeder my #2 grandson and I built the other day. I posted it on the Garden Art forum. but I thought I would include it here just to brighten up your day.
Paul.

Thumbnail by lonejack   Thumbnail by lonejack         

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 11, 2013
2:51 PM

Post #9595569

How very clever he is!!
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

July 12, 2013
7:03 AM

Post #9596174

That sounds like a bird feeder that would give the squirrels no end of trouble. We've given up on the idea of a completely squirrel proof bird feeder and settled for making their thievery as difficult and funny to watch as possible. The pesky little tree rats are always a good source of cheap entertainment.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 2, 2013
9:23 AM

Post #9648529

Hello, I just wish to reintroduce the concept of "laughing for joy." I've been feeling grouchy and small and I know my meds need to get adjusted but in the meantime, I need to remember that there are joys out there.

Today I am happy that my husband, even though he hates coffee, has learned how to make it for me exactly the way I like it. We were away for the weekend, drinking hotel coffee, and today he put an extra spoonful of sugar in my coffee, saying "you always ask for more sugar after drinking bad coffee for a few days, so I put one in ahead of time." Awwww. ^_^

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2013
3:25 PM

Post #9648883

So husbands are practical to have around.

(sorry, just my warped sense of humor)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 2, 2013
3:52 PM

Post #9648912

They certainly are!
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

September 7, 2013
8:12 AM

Post #9653164

Carrie, you lucky lady! All I will say about Jim's coffee is that house plants love it cold. ;-) Nadi brews a good pot, but she loves all the bells and whistles such as flavored creams. I like my coffee basic, especially the first cup of the morning.
Six months of DD#1's chaotic presense, has left Nadi with a strong need for routine and schedules. She has a 4:30 wake up time and breakfast is promptly at 8:00. I can't claim I always make wake up time, but you can bet I'm sitting at the table at eight. It was French toast casserole this morning. Good stuff! It marinates in the cinnamon and other flavorings overnightand that, to me, makes it tastier than actual French toast.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 7, 2013
6:39 PM

Post #9653651

I used to make French toast with the extra texture and fiber bread from the grocery store, it had seeds and grains, then I'd add milk, eggs, vanilla and nutmeg (in addition to cinnamon). I like it very moist--wet--and if there is leftover egg-glopp I'll eat it straight cooked like a scrambled egg.
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 21, 2015
8:46 PM

Post #10098801

(Jim) I know DG would prefer the different individuals at Amargia have their own accounts, but I am still running into problems on that front. Google Chrome says I should be able to. Still working on it.
I have wanted to bump up this thread again with some cool photos. The problem is there is nothing COOL to be found outside. Man, is it hot! All the plants look droopy and exhausted. I miss the shady tropicals. (They didn’t fit in with the new low maintenance thing we’re doing and there will not be much shade until the deciduous trees take over the shading job from the pines we removed.) The crinums, zinnias and marigolds are a nice splash of color in the beds and borders. They will be more photogenic when sauna summer gives way to dry roast summer. They look a little like tired soldiers in no longer quite so crisp dress uniforms in this humidity. I can relate to that. . The wild daylilies and some of the closest cultivated kin still pop up with a defiant blast of orange. (The most heat tolerant all seem to be orange.) I could really use some chilly blue to visually cool things off. Wondering if the agapanthus Kay tried to talk me into buying would be in bloom now.
It has been a great Father’s Day. The crew really gave me what I wanted this year and that is to lay in bed all day and watch old Adam12 episodes. Understanding finally dawned that taking me out to a restaurant was not my idea of a good time. A waitress told me once that seats in restaurants were purposely a little uncomfortable to keep table traffic moving. The problem there is “not too comfortable” to someone with a healthy back means something closer to agony for someone with advanced degenerative disk disease. The manual w/c or Quantum is more comfortable, but I would still have to spend time taking them out and setting up in the oppressive heat of an asphalt parking lot. Teriyaki chicken, stir-fried vegetables and jasmine rice taste best to me when I can eat them sitting up in my own bed and I don’t know of any restaurant where I could have followed up that meal with German chocolate cake. Yes!!! This was my kind of Father’s Day.
BTW, Carrie, Kay came through the heart test with a bad bruise, but she is fine otherwise. Plumbing looked great. Problem must be totally in the heart’s electrical system. I guess that is good.
Back to more totally unrealistic police drama until bedtime. Who wants realism on their day off. Hope everyone had as nice a day.
(Yeah, I used the Spell-check this time to show my regards for the new gardeners on the forum. Is everyone proud of me? Okay…okay, I did blow off that “incomplete sentence” thing as overkill. You garden gurus do know compared to tech websites; you’re downright literary, right? LOL.)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 22, 2015
8:10 AM

Post #10098965

Glad you had a good Fathers Day, Jim.

To me, getting prepared to host 4 different branches of Ray's offspring (albeit with only 1-3 members each) for any meal HERE would mean work for us, and mostly for Ray. While he made it clear to me on the way out that going out to breakfast (the latest reservation they had was for 11 am) was not HIS idea of a good time and he was only doing it to mollify us kids, he didn't have any other proposal for an occasion or location that the 8 of us would have ever gotten together.

My mother's house has spaces where 8 (even 20) people can eat at once, but our house is really specialized for the two of us and we even took out our dining room table when we moved back East. So we would be sitting around in the living room and...no. We had fun but for some reason, took no pictures. We went to The Cheesecake Factory.

One Adam twelve!
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 23, 2015
5:51 PM

Post #10099891

(Jim)
1-adam-12. Code 7.
I gave up getting DG loaded on my computer system. I will mail my pix to Kay’s and do things that way for a while. Kay’s screen access program uses so much memory; I would rather not store extras like Amargia’s photo album on her system again. You watch, the problem will turn out to be something miniscule and I’m going to feel like a moron when I finally realize what it is, but for now…
I did find a few nice surprises weeding yesterday.
Photo #1: Daylily ‘Dixieland Band’. This is one Debra (lovemyhouse) gave Amargia years ago.
Photo #2: June is late for my mysterious Old Soldiers Garden hedge roses to be blooming. This experiment came out great. We got the start for these roses when an elderly friend asked us to dig up some feral roses that had popped up on a site where ‘Mr. Lincoln’ roses had been removed years before. Kay thinks the ‘Mr. Lincoln’ were growing on ‘’Dr. Huey’ rootstock and those left behind roots became bushes. Most look like the Doc. The shade of red varies more than what I see in photos and one bush produces roses with a single petal layer. DW theorizes that one bush must have grown from seed and an apple rose was the pollen parent. I am content with all the roses blooming some shade of red and enjoy the little variations. When rose bushes have few thorns, are resistant to mildew and black spot, need little maintenance and have that strong, old-fashioned rose scent; who cares about the name? A rose with no name still smells as sweet.
(Jim)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 24, 2015
5:43 AM

Post #10100051

We have a rose that is the same situation. It was probably some delicate pale pink/coral color originally, but before I knew that roses got grafted I pruned it. It was the year I had just barely not died and Ray had to carry me out to the yard, I with my frail tiny self carefully pruned all the fancy stuff off of it and left only the root-stock, which is a similar dark dark pink blossom. I never smelled it, though. It became emblematic of my having survived being so gravely ill, This year, however, the noxious porcelain berry got entwined with the rose roots. We also planted many rainbow Knock-out roses in that area, but we were saving this one as a symbol of that terrible time, It had to go, though, it was giving aid and comfort to the enemy, which is of course the porcelain berry vine.

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 24, 2015
5:04 PM

Post #10100419

Hi old friends. It's been a long time I know. I've been ill. Overwhelmed with financial and self care issues. Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers.
My membership is up in a couple weeks.
Each of you will remain in my thoughts & prayers. I have cherished our times together.

Sheri

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 25, 2015
7:43 AM

Post #10100684

Oh dear, Sheri. Very glad to see you. Did you hear that this forum is now free, no charge, open, whatever you want to call it? Being a subscriber is no longer necessary! I think that's good,

I hope you are feeling much better and you are always in my thoughts. I hope you'll be on my computer, too!

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 25, 2015
5:06 PM

Post #10101016

So when my membership is up (7/7) I can still sign in on the 8th but only access this thread? That'd be kind of nice. Wonder if my name will still be the same or how that works for non-members.
I'm pinching pennies for a van. The VA will provide a scooter after I get a vehicle that can trans[port one.

Sheri

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 26, 2015
7:40 AM

Post #10101345

I think you use the same name etc. but will not be able to access most threads. This forum will now work the way the Plant ID forum does, open to all. I'm really happy that people will be able to access Accessible Gardening and hope that past members will come back for this forum
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 28, 2015
10:17 PM

Post #10102918

(Jim) Hi Sheri! It’s so good to read your post again here. Also, good to hear the VA is doing right by you, but sad the scooter is now a necessity. Are you still in the same house with stairs to manage? Do you still have your cute little ankle biters?
It looks like I do have some cool blue coming. Blue mist flowers, aster relatives, will be blooming as a tall groundcover in the wilder areas and the ‘Heavenly Blue’ morning glories were planted late and should bloom soon. Kay proclaimed Amargia the Ipomoea Empire on today’s property walk. I guess I did go a little crazy with the morning glories and moon vines and there were already some MGs that had re-seeded. I actually did not know that sweet potatoes were in that family.
I am trying ‘Scarlett O’hara’ in the Old Soldiers Garden. I should have read Plantfiles first and gone with cardinal vine. There is never a question of cardinal flowers being a good red and there has been a problem with Scarlett not being true to type even when the seeds come from ordinarily trustworthy sources. If it is just some white in the center instead of being pure red, that is okay, but I will be disappointed if it turns out too pink. I bought ‘Grandpa Ott’s’ for the purple themed garden around Nadi’s micro-house. There are also ‘Milky Way’ and a no-name pink Kay encourages to re-seed among the dewberry brambles. There is a tiny flowered variety I mistakenly believed were natives until recently. The nickel-sized blooms are sprinkled through the WildPower Garden. Kay calls them African morning glories and believes that they hold the sandy slope making life easier for all the natives planted there. The vines make a thready web over the soil and I see no sign that they interfere with the growth of their neighbors. If Amargia is the Ipomoea Empire, then I am the emperor because I am looking for ‘Kniola’s Black’ (a dark blue in reality) and cardinal vine for the OSG, bush morning glories to top the retaining wall between the MerFolk Garden and the Bee Yard and our native railroad vine now that I know that isn’t what the little white MGs in the WildPower Garden are.
I hope you made it over to this thread, ellonwheels, because there is a psychological trick we discovered for managing 1acre+ properties buried in my chatter. If you break the property up into separate spaces in your head, it will not feel as overwhelming. (You don’t have to give the different areas goofy names. That’s just what we do as a way of talking to one another about specific spaces.))I guess the trick would also work for handling smaller spaces with greater physical challenges. I get a sense of accomplishment when I can say I finished something. I could never say I finished anything if I considered the property as a whole. There is always something more that needs done.
Kay’s doing okay. She put in a very hard day Friday and has slept most of the weekend. Nadi is taking over my job as mow monkey. The bouncing is getting too hard on my back. I’m scheduled for surgery in mid-July. The roid shots are no longer enough to keep the pain at bay.
Fenny at five. I had better close. Kay has found a new way to get us all up and out in the cool of the morning. She plays the harmonica and Fenny-dog “sings” along. It sounds a little like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJNvnJUdMjc
except Fenny is a soprano soloist. What is it with some dogs and harmonicas? It obviously doesn’t hurt her ears. Fenny loves to “sing”.
#1: Put one of mk’s concrete scraps under the fruit to prevent ground rot. Hope it works.
#2: Moonflower (Ipomoea alba)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 29, 2015
8:12 AM

Post #10103095

My husband makes goofy names for our places too, and we only have 0.25 acre.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Accessible Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
abled fighters dpmichael 13 Sep 28, 2009 1:31 AM
Gardening with a bad knee Bug_Girl 13 Aug 28, 2009 4:26 PM
"Enabled" vs. "Disabled" Gardeners Shirley1md 40 Apr 8, 2007 6:29 PM
a gardening poem debi_z 43 Jun 17, 2013 4:59 AM
pneumatic seat for gardening debi_z 31 Jun 30, 2009 2:48 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America