Photo by Melody

Passifloras: Treatment for red spider mites on passion vines?

Communities > Forums > Passifloras
bookmark
Forum: PassiflorasReplies: 4, Views: 57
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
PassifloraCraze
St Louis, MO

November 16, 2011
9:43 PM

Post #8893704

All summer, I noticed some red spider mites on my "Lady Margaret" vines, but they never got out of control. A couple months after finally bringing them inside for the year, the mites are absolutely out of control. Buds are drooping and dropping, new growth is dying back, and I stand to lose both plants. Mixes of rubbing alcohol and water sprayed on the plants don't do squat. Mixes of small amounts of dish soap in water are equally ineffective. Horticultural oil sprays are effective IF the plant is doused (including the under sides of the leaves), but those same sprays kill ALL new growth and still do damage to the rest of the mature growth on the plant. It's a bit late in the year here in Missouri to find predatory mites or even mailorder them (without them dying in transit).

After hours of sifting through baloney "cures" and companies peddling their products all over the web, I'm fed up. Everything "organic" and "non-toxic" appears to still be highly toxic. And I just finished hosing both plants off in the shower, letting them drying, and then spraying them with horticultural oil spray, so I'm even more frustrated. Is there anyone among the passion flower enthusiasts who has a decent tip on what might help combat the spider mites without pushing the entire plant to the brink of death? Any help would be appreciated.
Passionflowerz
Punta Gorda, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 17, 2011
1:26 AM

Post #8893781

With brugmansia, we take off every single leaf to get rid of them. They will come back, but it destroys the mites food source. You may want to try that.
In your case, I'd remove the plant from it's pot, and get rid of all the soil.
Cut the plant back some, and then defoliate it. Repot in fresh soil.
Spray some Avid or Forbid (you can get these in smaller quantities at BGI classifieds, open to the public. There may be other sources to get these smaller amounts of the stuff,
but I am unaware of them. Perhaps another reader could help if so) on the remaining stems once (Forbid) and then again in 4 days (Avid-to get the eggs). As the leaves grow in again, they
should be spidermite-free. That is, unless you have other plants that are infested in the area, in which case you have a whole bunch of treatments to do.
I feel for you. Brugmasnsia suffers quite frequently from this, and we spend a lot of time fighting these nasty buggers! Good luck!

This message was edited Nov 17, 2011 11:45 AM
PassifloraCraze
St Louis, MO

November 17, 2011
7:33 AM

Post #8894040

Thanks for your time and the tip! Much appreciated!

This summer, I made an absurd concoction of jalapeno peppers, garlic, and some other junk - an alleged "organic" deterrent for mites - that was supposed to be sprayed on the plants. I ended up inhaling quite a bit of it. Highly irritating for the mucosa in your airway. It's a wonder I didn't drown in my own secretions after that. Not recommended. :-)
Passionflowerz
Punta Gorda, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 17, 2011
7:46 AM

Post #8894048

Your most welcome. Please re-read my post Passiflora, I had toi edit because I was thinking of one product and gave wrong instructions. I just corrected. :)
PassifloraCraze
St Louis, MO

November 18, 2011
5:39 PM

Post #8896201

Thanks

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Passifloras Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Is anyone having trouble keeping up with name tags? Tropicman 16 Jul 24, 2007 5:43 AM
Am I blue? Ginger_H 6 Aug 16, 2008 6:19 PM
First passiflora bloom PudgyMudpies 14 Feb 7, 2008 2:28 PM
Pics of your passies, please? AuntB 250 Jul 24, 2007 11:20 AM
Passiflora Amethystina gordo 14 Apr 6, 2007 10:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America