Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Fuchsias: Rec for best books about fuchsia(with color photos)

Communities > Forums > Fuchsias
bookmark
Forum: FuchsiasReplies: 1, Views: 18
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cwg512
San Antonio, TX

November 17, 2011
7:30 AM

Post #8894035

I am very new to gardening. Got into this last spring and started with Clematis. It was 105-108 degrees here for over 90 days this summer. I saw some pics of fuchsias on DG and fell in love-had never seen anything like them. I am trying some out here now(zone8b) as it is mild. Mark at Fry Road made some suggestions.
I would be most grateful for some recs on great books about fuchsia that are USA relevant(and not just the Pacific Northwest-with color photos).
I would also love to hear from anyone with experience of growing fuchsia in hot weather and which kinds are really heat tolerant. I am keeiping them in pots and hanging baskets on my front porch which is bright shade. I face east,but only get a sliver of morning sun on porch. My back patio faces west sun which right now is fairly pleasant-but was an Inferno this past summer. Mark suggested book(s) by Salli Dahl...but I haven't found any yet. All suggestions are welcome as I am a fuchsia virgin! Many thanks.
bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 19, 2011
1:23 PM

Post #8897232

Well, all I can tell you is that every one of my fuchsias I tried (around 10-15) died. I planted them in shade, part shade/sun, and full sun. They looked pretty for a while and then leaves started looking crispy and they all died. I was really sad! If you have any luck, let us know! You can see some of my posts in the Fuchsia forum when they looked good and when they croaked... Janet

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Fuchsias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Amazing fuchsias Zanymuse 84 Sep 3, 2009 2:19 AM
Who would like to see a Fuchsia Forum!? PedricksCorner 134 Dec 2, 2009 6:06 PM
Let's get a Fuchsia forum going! PedricksCorner 83 Sep 3, 2009 2:21 AM
help with my fuchsia jjpate 2 Jun 8, 2009 5:38 AM
Fuschia - do I trim this? blackThumbz 15 Sep 4, 2009 4:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America