Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Begonias: Begonia 'Lana' has accidentaly proven its cold hardiness...

Communities > Forums > Begonias
bookmark
Forum: BegoniasReplies: 9, Views: 156
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bsimpson1972
Chicago, IL
(Zone 6a)

November 18, 2011
2:40 PM

Post #8896031

I live in Chicago (Zone 5b) and this Begonia was accidentaly left outside planted in the ground. We had several nights of medium frost (28 degrees was the lowest I measured) and even a light snow and this is how the plant looks like after I got it inside today. Well, and before the leaf loss will most likely start... LOL

Oh, and sorry for the mess in the background. Operative chaos, you know... ;)

Olaf

Thumbnail by bsimpson1972
Click the image for an enlarged view.

hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 19, 2011
5:18 PM

Post #8897660

Some canes can handle a few nights of freezing temps without a lot of harm. Even if the soft wood is destroyed they often sprout from the hard wood and also send up sprouts from the roots. I left 3 large canes of Sophie, Irene, and Lana in a 22 inch pot outdoors a couple of winters ago because I had a few pots of each safely tucked indoors. Then in early December I had a change of heart and ripped those 3 canes out of the extra large pot and brought them indoors - one retained most of its woody stems while the other two were destroyed to within a couple of inches of the soil line but they all came back with a flourish.

One winter a few decades ago I took cuttings of all my canes I had planted in the ground and only one of those did not root for me that winter so I lost it. The next spring I had one cane come back from the roots - it was the one that failed to root for me indoors. That was coccinea.

Here is a pan of those 3 canes I brought in a couple of years ago a few weeks later after I cut off the destroyed canes. They stayed in this aluminum pan all winter without any extra soil other than what was attached to their roots.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

bsimpson1972
Chicago, IL
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2011
10:44 PM

Post #8898228

Wow! Thank you for this picture!

I have heard and read about that before but have never seen proof of it and I didn't want to find out the hard way just how much frost bite 'Lana' would be able to take...

Begonias keep the surprises coming... :)

Thanks again!

Olaf
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 20, 2011
3:13 AM

Post #8898271

Several years ago I had huge pots of Caribbean King and Caribbean Queen. I left them outside a little too long - early November where we got a hard frost. That really set them back and it took 3 years or longer to get back to some big rhizomes. That same year I had Bayberry Lane that was easily 8 foot across (kind of leggy) and it was knocked back to six inches (it though is an easy begonia to propagate and could almost be considered weedy).

Here is what Caribbean Queen looked like after the big frost.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 20, 2011
3:16 AM

Post #8898272

And the same plant a month earlier. This is an 18 inch pot for size comparison.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 20, 2011
4:39 AM

Post #8898291

So I guess it would be ok for me to put C. King and Queen in the ground here then !! Good info. I don't mind if they get knocked back if we get a frost/freeze, just so long as they will come back.
Thanks for posting this.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 20, 2011
2:38 PM

Post #8898861

Probably be okay. I know they have them all over the gardens at Fairchild - surely they get a frost or two in winter?

This picture was March 3, '06 at Fairchild Tropical Gardens.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 20, 2011
3:26 PM

Post #8898977

Yeah, I a bittttt farther north but I think they would be ok too. Especially since I mulch heavy. They aren't all that big as I got them in trade in late August, so I'll probably wait till next winter to test them when I can have divisions for back ups.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 20, 2011
4:02 PM

Post #8899039

I thought you might be a bittttt further north but I didn't bother looking it up to find out how many miles apart you are. Isn't Miami zone 10? Of course there are folks in coastal S.C. who swear they are in zone 9 so what do I know?

Always good to keep a small piece indoors as a bit of insurance. You could always put some frost cloth on top of your outdoor ones too.

Shifty
Rochester, NY
(Zone 5b)

November 20, 2011
4:12 PM

Post #8899044

hcmcdole,
glad to hear your story about a "change of heart" with one of your begonias. I did the same with my big LBM this year. I had a good sized plant from spring cuttings and 2 small fall cutting plants but no room for the big mother plant. At the last minute I decided to save the big plant from the compost pile. We had had a couple of mild frosts but it was buried beneath other debris so not frozen. I cut it in half and repotted it and am waiting to see if it will survive. So far it hasn't died and seems to be sending some new shoots. I did cut it back to about 3 inches above the soil. Time will tell.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Begonias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Here's my begonia collection flowerjunkie 106 Feb 10, 2009 2:27 PM
Tuberous Begonias? Woofens 25 Feb 29, 2008 8:05 PM
BEGONIA sticky links begoniacrazii 37 Jun 8, 2007 6:11 PM
Talking about polka dots................. Kell 35 Feb 16, 2008 8:31 PM
Begonia Dead? Wvdaisy 13 Apr 12, 2007 3:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America