-
AuthorContent
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

November 18, 2011
9:10 PM

Post #8896416

Welcome to the 13th installment of Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners. Anybody superstitious? On this thread we discuss the day-to-day challenges of gardening and otherwise enjoying the outdoors when there is also some sort of physical limitation to contend with. Contributors here may be anything from mildly mobility challenged due to aging to those gardening from wheelchairs. The visually impaired can range from “can’t see those little seeds like I once could” to blind. Also, there are those coping with the energy deficits that are a part of Depression, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and heart/lung ailments. we are a diverse group. Feel free to join in. We came from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1220095/
We decided to compile a list of books and websites that we found useful and keep it in the introduction post of Practical Matters until or unless we decide it warrants its own Sticky. Feel free to add or give your opinion of the sites/books listed.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Websites:
Thrive: http://www.carryongardening.org.uk/ this is a site in the UK and, other than a few gardening terms being unfamiliar to American readers, excellent.

Modifying Garden Tools
http://agr ability.missouri.edu/gardenweb/modifytools.html

Gardening for VIPs--Visually Impaired Person(s)
http://vipuc.fortunecity.com/bg_news.html

Gardening from a w/c
http://www.mda.org/publications/quest/q31garden.html

Books—As far as I know, all of these books are available in audio format from the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped (NLS program). Since this list was compiled by a visually impaired person, there may be print books available that are not on the list. -Garden Unseen by L. Stevens
-Accessible Gardening for People with Physical Disabilities by Janeen R. Adil (I liked the list of recommended plants in this book.)
-The Enabling Garden: A Guide to Lifelong Gardening by Gene Rothert--Written by a horticultural therapist employed at the Chicago Botanic Garden. It should be kept in mind that this book was written 17 years ago. Some of the information on raised bed building materials is outdated, but it is still worth reading since the author gardens from a wheelchair. He possesses both academic and first-hand knowledge.
-Gardening Through Your Golden Years by James W. Wilson
-Accessible Gardening: Tips & Techniques for Seniors by Joann Woy
-The Able Gardener: Overcoming Barriers of Age and Physical Limitations by Kathleen Yeoman
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Things are quiet on the Amargia front. Nadine (Sansai87) continues to seek a perfect Thanksgiving dinner menu that will keep with our Native American theme and satisfy all. Jim (Seacanepain) is working on little home improvement and repair projects and I am continuing with the boring, but necessary, hard-scaping projects like leveling the newly designed Fragrance Garden.
One brave sunflower and the dependable (immortal?) snapdragons are keeping things colorful despite cold snaps. The snapdragons have been in bloom almost year `round. They melted some in high summer, but revived as soon as it cooled down. The “Flying Dragon” orange is dropping its fruit and that fruit is twice as large as normal. (We seem to have a dragon theme going.) ‘Flying Dragon’ is unique in that it comes true from seed, but the seeds don’t remain viable for very long. We are busy trading those. Jim is still limiting me to two trees even though I will be pruning the beasts. I’m slower at it, but don’t get clawed as much as the sighted who have attempted the job. Go figure. k*

This thread has 123 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. Take a tour of our site and learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!

Other Accessible Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
abled fighters dpmichael 13 Sep 28, 2009 1:31 AM
Gardening with a bad knee Bug_Girl 13 Aug 28, 2009 4:26 PM
"Enabled" vs. "Disabled" Gardeners Shirley1md 40 Apr 8, 2007 6:29 PM
a gardening poem debi_z 43 Jun 17, 2013 4:59 AM
pneumatic seat for gardening debi_z 31 Jun 30, 2009 2:48 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America