Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Poultry and Livestock: Shipping birds

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 16, Views: 87
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

November 19, 2011
11:13 AM

Post #8896993

I've had other birds sent to me, but none had a water bottle inside. This was quite ingenious I thought. Most people put in apples and tomatoes to try and supply some hydration for them, which is good too.

Thought you might like to see a picture of the box and the water bottles.

Thumbnail by Light_for_Jesus
Click the image for an enlarged view.

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

November 19, 2011
12:28 PM

Post #8897107

That was very thoughtful of you shipper. Looks like a nipple drinker. I usually zip tie a small bowl of grow gel and a small bowl of chopped grapes since moisture is the most important think in shipping live birds. I can't believe it took 3 days. Express is supposed to be next day. Mine have always come the next day except for one and it arrived 8 a.m. the 2nd morning
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

November 19, 2011
12:46 PM

Post #8897129

These poor birds were 4 days and 5 hrs in those boxes. The hen is the weakest, her water bottle was still full. Guess she didn't know how to drink from it, or didn't know it was there. She's one of those that can't see. There are two eggs in her box, so no mistaking which one didn't get water. One egg was broken, but if I find out the other might be fertile I'll put it under my other hens. Some of them are always broody.

The rooster is doing fine, he drank all but a little water from the bottle. He's up crowing and doing fine.

She is eating and drinking. I just wonder where they were all that time they were missing.

They were mailed from Gainsville, Fl. at 4 pm. on the 14th. On the 17th, 7:30 am it said they were processed through Jacksonville, Fl. Nothing else showed up on the shipping until they arrived in Amarillo in the 18th at 9 pm.

I sure do like them. Hope I am learning to take better care of these litte creatures.

Thumbnail by Light_for_Jesus
Click the image for an enlarged view.

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

November 19, 2011
2:32 PM

Post #8897341

sounds like they stuck them out of the way and forgot about them until you called. From Fl. you should have had them the very next day by 3 p.m.

Go see if you feed store carries grow gel. it will give her a quick boost and lots of moisture. See that is why I didn't have them with the big poofy do's.

I didn't realize my bantam Houdans couldn't see well enough and they starved to death I believe. By the time I felt a keel bone it was to late. While you aren't showing them keep that poof out of her eyes with a baret or something
porkpal
Richmond, TX

November 19, 2011
5:27 PM

Post #8897675

What a pretty pair! I guess it was a good thing that the breeder prepared them so well for their journey, since it turned out to be such a long one. The U.S. Postal Service is definitely deteriorating.
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

November 19, 2011
7:15 PM

Post #8897830

I am with you PP. I had a package arrive from Hong Kong only to be delivered to wrong person by weekend sub driver last Saturday and it has still not been found a week later. I hope who ever kept my package chokes on the cupcakes they make with it(well at least temporarly anyway lol)
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

November 19, 2011
8:19 PM

Post #8897939

The breeder just sent me this in email:
"She has been eating Gamebird feed with calf manna, BOSS and safflower seeds.
He has been eating FlockRaiser with the same things added. "

Wonder where I can get these. I have no idea what calf manna , BOSS, or FlockRaiser is.

porkpal
Richmond, TX

November 19, 2011
8:25 PM

Post #8897963

Try TSC.
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

November 20, 2011
12:32 AM

Post #8898253

calf mana is a milk replacement for calves...when I was a kid, I called it calf mama...I thought that was its name.
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

November 20, 2011
2:57 AM

Post #8898268

I get concerned about the GMO's in these feeds. Organic feeds don't have them, but I'm sure they are double the price, if I could even find them in my area.

When I bought my first chicks, I was told the Hi-Pro feeds didn't have it, so that's the feed I have stayed with. Whether it does or not, I am not certain, and probably don't want to know the truth of it. I think most of the corn is genetically modified now, even the corn we eat from the grocery store.

When I previously called Tractor Supply and asked them about it, they hemmed and hawed and called around, then finally said "Yes some of their feed were genetically modified" and "What was wrong with that anyway" kind of attitude.

green04735
Bridgewater, ME

November 20, 2011
4:04 AM

Post #8898278

boss is black oil sunflower seeds,flock raiser is chicken feed made by purina and has extra protein in it which is what I feed mine right now becasue of the molt they need the extra potein.Its also for a mixed flock of young and older birds.
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

November 20, 2011
4:06 AM

Post #8898280

Thanks Melvatoo.

http://www.organicitsworthit.org/quick/gmos-101 This site says this:

Have you ever wondered just how many GMOs are out there? If not, you might be surprised to learn that 86% of corn and 93% of soybeans grown in the United States is genetically modified. In fact, according to California’s Department of Food and Agriculture, 70% of processed foods in American supermarkets now contain genetically engineered (GE) ingredients.

How safe are GMOs?
In 30 other countries around the world, including Australia, Japan, and all of the countries in the European Union, there are significant restrictions or outright bans on the production of GMOs, because they are not considered proven safe.

------------------------------

Isn't that awful that most countries are acting like they have some sense and we are being treated worse than dogs here? I just don't get it. Our ancestors came here for freedom, but that isn't what we have now. We are being poisoned. How long are we going to take this?
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

November 20, 2011
4:24 AM

Post #8898282

Thanks Green.
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 21, 2011
4:16 PM

Post #8900449

They are darling LFJ!!! I'd be sure and either clip or tie up their fuzz so they can see... many a silkie has perished due to blindness.. :( They sure are cute... I'm sure they will be fine in your care. :)
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

November 21, 2011
6:13 PM

Post #8900654

I discovered today that the hen has mites on her head. Have you seen those where they make the top of their head look all thick and dark colored close to the skin? Hard to describe, but kind of crusty. It's icky. At least I know what they are now.

I put some ivermectin drops on her head.

I don't really want to bother her too much right now, after four days without water, she's been stressed enough.

From my research a few months ago, four drops of ivermectin, given orally, kills worms and mites on chickens.

I was thinking a good way to worm them might be to give them a boiled egg with the drops in it. All chickens seem to love eggs.
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

November 21, 2011
6:42 PM

Post #8900720

That is so true! and I have always thought it is a little ironic...

OutlawHeart81

OutlawHeart81
Syracuse, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 6, 2011
11:20 AM

Post #8918736

***oh i would not give you false hope, no! On this strange and mournful day, but the mother and child reunion is only a motion away...***
I heard somewhere that paul simon wrote that song about eating in a chinese restaurant and when his food arrived it was a chicken with boiled eggs. Genius! Lol

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America