AuthorContent

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 19, 2011
4:10 PM

Post #8897530

The last message to this forum was Nov. 8. Are there any people left here? Or have they all gone elsewhere? I'm thinking of leaving because I get more discussion on the Hallson list.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

November 20, 2011
2:03 AM

Post #8898258

Good morning,
We are out of town and i promise to be more visible. I had not seen Sandy posting, how is she doing? I can never forget her hostas that is why she has tour in her garden.

I probably just added 30 cultivars to my collection but added 25 cultivars to my colocasia and alocasia collection.It is a never ending obsession!! LOL!!!

I lost a lot of hosta tags last year and had planned to get them identified but got side track with golf.

Have wonderful thanksgiving Day. We are with our children and hopefully our son in -law will get a job at Hopkins in Baltimore.

Bellie

This message was edited Mar 17, 2012 3:28 AM

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

November 20, 2011
2:18 AM

Post #8898263

Hi Ann, This forum has been kinda dead, I check in once in a while though! It seemed like some kinda mass exodus. I was invited to ATP someone said they need help with the Hostas and I have posted a lot of pictures and plant data to the data base. Right now I am mainly on cubits for the 'Hog wild seed swap', I really needed to get rid of some seed and I found them by accident actually, I joined back in June and they sent me an email saying they had sold the hosta forum, all before I could even introduce myself. I was baffled and that is basically when I got busy with Dave's Garden, before that it was just a data base to me for looking stuff up and that is why I joined. So anyway, I have seen several people from Dave's garden on both forums. I am watching 10 threads here, so I do check in once or twice a week. Please take care and keep in touch, I will check out Hallson's sometime, I do love their plants and they are one of my favourite places to shop on line.
Oh, guess what! They got the Hostapedia on Yahoo coop for 47.00 plus shipping. This is the new one that sells for 80.00 every where else, even on eBay it is the same. I got The Encyclopedia of Hostas, its an older book published in 2009 that has been updated. Got that on eBay for 18.00, free shipping. Do you have any hosta books?
susan

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 20, 2011
5:33 AM

Post #8898319

Hi Bellie - Sandy has left DG, at least for now. The only place I've seen her posting is on Facebook. I DID see her in June when I helped her with a charity garden tour that included her gardens and in July when she was in town and we swapped a few plants.

Susan - I think I would not have renewed DG last July had it not been for my friends on the Coffee thread. I like Hallson, not only for the quality of the discussion, but it's also free. I'm on Cubits, but don't really like it much. And my extension, I'm also on the new gardening one, but I don't even remember what it's called.

Hosta books - got the Hostapedia when it was new; so I paid full price. I also have the small book about mini hostas, an older Color Encyclopedia and I recently came across a slim soft cover book that I forgot I had and don't remember the name. The Color Encyclopedia I really like because the hostas are arranged by colour.

Ann
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

November 20, 2011
8:40 AM

Post #8898510

This message was edited Mar 17, 2012 3:28 AM

This message was edited Mar 17, 2012 3:29 AM

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 20, 2011
10:00 AM

Post #8898601

My name is ANN.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

November 20, 2011
10:43 AM

Post #8898645

Sorry Ann!!!

I did not find Sandy on Face book and if you email her or talk to her please extend my regards. Thanks,

Bellie

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

November 20, 2011
3:36 PM

Post #8898991

Ann, I never heard of the coffee thread. I might check that out sometime along with Hallson's, definitely got to check out Hallson's. They were so good to me last spring, a guy named Chris I think. Love the hostas too.

bellieg, I haven't seen any post from you since Hurricane Irene! Did you see my thread and my tore-up hostas? I posted right before Ann's A-Z hosta show. Now its kinda buried. :( I have added more also, not sure how many, maybe 15 or so.

susan

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 20, 2011
7:48 PM

Post #8899302

Coffee thread is over on the "Parking Lot". Just a bunch of people gabbing about nothing in particular. We put up a new thread every day and I've got the job for November. There is a group for the Ontario Hosta Society as well as Hosta La Vista over on FB and Sandy contributes to both at times.

I've also visited "All Things Plants" a few times today. More impressed than I was the first time I went there.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

November 21, 2011
3:14 AM

Post #8899534

Oh, hey Ann. I was just over there commenting about how big the data base has gotten. The first time I looked at the hostas they were on page 5 and almost no data what-so-ever. I would click on any hosta and it would say zone 3, dappled sun and division as propagation method. I have added data as often as I can, I actually enjoy looking up stuff because it is helping me to learn about the different Hostas. Can't wait to get a day off so I can curl up with my new book, while I cook a turkey.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

November 21, 2011
3:28 AM

Post #8899547

Susan,
I watch 12 forums on DG but reads all the threads on hostas and yes I saw your pictures after Irene. Like I said we were prepared for the worse.DH did most of it making sure nothing will be carried by the wind !!!

Ann,
Is there a way of giving me a link so I can talk to Sandy? Better still can you email me her email address privately? Thanks

Bellie

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 21, 2011
4:37 AM

Post #8899590

I think you can still D-mail her through DG. People who don't pay are still on the membership roster, but can't participate in most forums.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

November 21, 2011
5:49 AM

Post #8899639

Will do.Thanks--Bellie
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 21, 2011
11:58 AM

Post #8900095

Hi Folks
I check in here too and lurk with reading about all the hosta things you all talk about. Our season ends early for us being zone 3.
I do appreciate all the knowledge on this thread and you have been most helpful.
Ann I have some of your seeds that became babies and next year will be year three so I'm really hoping to see some growth. All are in my Nurse bed for the winter.
I too have an older Hosta Encylopedia and the new one that was out on the Mini's. I reference both and the online tools when I need them.
Alberta Ann

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

November 21, 2011
5:08 PM

Post #8900551

Thank you for droping in annabell52. Glad to meet you! You are the first person I've ever met in zone3. What Hostas are working for you in zone3, from what I have read almost all of them are hardy to zone 3. Is that true?

susan
Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 22, 2011
7:39 PM

Post #8902104

I'm still here, but just pop in from time to time. We got a new puppy mid summer that sort of took my focus off gardening, especially when he had an unexpected health issue...also was quite busy with work, so I pretty much back burner-ed my garden interest until next Spring. I don't have much to talk about off season because I am officially out of room and get make wish lists or anything like that.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

November 23, 2011
5:51 AM

Post #8902462

Hi Noreaster, I was wondering about you just recently. Puppy?? Say no more.
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 23, 2011
4:23 PM

Post #8903286

Virginiarose
Thanks for the welcome!
I have found that most Hostas do well here and some of the ones who like more shade actually do well in sun as ours isn't generally as hot.
I have the regular's although I may get the names spelling wrong
Sum and Substance
Blue Umbrella
Pauls Glory
I have a Moerheim but I am suspicious of him for Hosta Virus X as he was a Home Depot plant. I am watching him very carefully.
Golden Prayers
Sitting Pretty
Patriot
June
Island Charm
Fire and Ice
Little Doll
Little Sun Spot
Pineapple upside down Cake
Emerald Tiara
Marilyn Munroe
Marmalade
And I just rescued two from a garden that was being torn apart due to an addition'
one had a tag Earth's Angel and the other I can't remember as it is now under snow.

I have quite a few Mini's too:
Lakeside downsized
Tiny tears
Cherish
Cracker Crumbs
Eola Salad bowl
Itsy Bitsy Spider
Little miss Muffet
Silver mine
Cookie Crumbs
Snow Mouse
Pandora’s box
Cherry Tomatoe
Cheatin Heart
I have been also given some seeds from Viola Ann who has been most generous with her seeds and her knowledge. They will be at year three next spring and they are in my veggie garden which no longer has room for veggies.
I will have to see how the new little mini's do as I have them in a big pot in an unheated garage sunk into a huge pot of soil to help regulate the temp.
I think as long as they are covered with snow we are quite successful here even though we had a -50 something with wind chill and were the coldest place on the planet last year for one day.
Given all that our growing season can be fabulous with daylight from 5 am until 11 pm so things tend to grow right before your eyes. Even in winter we can have the bluest sky with bright sunshine too albeit not for very many hours.
Alberta Ann

plantnutz
Austell, GA
(Zone 7a)

November 23, 2011
4:41 PM

Post #8903319

Hi Ann, still here but lurking...

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

November 23, 2011
7:20 PM

Post #8903467

annabell52,
Wow, that is so interesting. You just told me a lot of stuff I never thought of. That is a lot of daylight. I was thinking you could probably have all your hostas in full sun, that far north. Like in the south they might have sun tolerant hostas but keep them in the shade. It just never dawned on me that your days are that long!
You have a lot of the same hostas as me, do you have any planted in full sun? Or are the days too long?
Alberta, when you mention the bluest sky, I was wondering if you can see any stars?

susan

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 23, 2011
7:38 PM

Post #8903485

ABAnn - you are amassing quite a good collection! And I only saw one or two spelling errors. LOL Enjoy the thoughts of your long summer days during the long winter nights.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2011
6:11 AM

Post #8903761

Hi Ann -- I've just been so busy lately -- I can barely keep up. I dont do ATP, only one forum on Cubits, but mostly DG for me. Just no time to do much.

I added quite a few plus this past summer... i'm hoping they all make it, and got a few [2 maybe] streakers. Very excited about them.

I still LOVE my hostapedia... though i did leave it in Wisc, so i wont see it again until April. but i've loaned it out a few times, getting some folks more interested in hostas.

Terese

ps -- here is my "mice" purchased from 2011
the streaker Mouse Tracks was from the Skaggs auction

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Click the image for an enlarged view.

annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 24, 2011
12:34 PM

Post #8904077

Susan
Days are so long you would have to have a wide open space to have full sun all day. I don't have any in Full Sun because I don't have that site available but I do have Sum and Paul in a West site that gets early Sun misses a few hours then gets sun the rest of the day as the Sun starts out at the front of my house and moves all around and ends back at the front of the house.
Yes we can see lots of stars and the Northern lights too. I believe I can hear them crackle even though I am in a city.
Thanks for asking.
Alberta Ann

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

November 24, 2011
1:16 PM

Post #8904098

Well, I tell you why I was so curious about your part of the world and you may not believe this but is the truth. When I was a little girl I would lay in the grass and look up at the heavens and there were a million stars you would never be able to count them all ! Now I look up at the sky and I see ten or so including the big dipper. :'((
It is a sad, sad thing and I wish I could see the stars again! I really miss it.

susan
irawon
Ottawa
Canada

November 24, 2011
2:34 PM

Post #8904147

Hi all! I have enjoyed Ann's (VioAnn's) expertise in all things hosta on DG. As the hosta season came to a close and other urgent matters took priority, I haven't been as visible but that does not mean that I'm disinterested. I think we're all taking a well-deserved rest . Hope you remain on DG, Ann. Irawon.
hostages
Wyoming, MN

November 25, 2011
5:06 AM

Post #8904777

LOL The hostapedia is an exceptional book, but it is too large and heavy to curl up with. I think it should come with it's own legs. Kind of wish it had come in 2 or 3 volumes!

Gary

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 25, 2011
6:22 AM

Post #8904857

Certainly isn't much of a lap book!

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

November 25, 2011
8:21 AM

Post #8904969

LOL! It's my first Hosta book, got it on sale. I figure with some good gliders and a rope, I can drag it anywhere!
hostages
Wyoming, MN

November 26, 2011
3:01 PM

Post #8906802

Quite the mental picture,LOL

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

November 26, 2011
6:40 PM

Post #8907042

LOL!
Rose1656
Oquawka, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 2, 2011
7:44 PM

Post #8914380

Still here! I stop by to check out the conversations, but it's been pretty quiet on here. I am enjoying the break from gardening, but must confess that I've already made a small order from Naylor Creek!

Rose
plantnutz
Austell, GA
(Zone 7a)

December 3, 2011
5:01 AM

Post #8914600

Rose, don't you have lakeside paisley print? If so, where did you get it? I was going to do an order from Naylor but they don't have it. Brenda
allnitro
Waterloo, IA
(Zone 4b)

December 3, 2011
5:55 AM

Post #8914646

Brenda, try Josh at In The Country http://www.inthecountrygardenandgifts.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_7&products_id=707
a5footsea
North Vancouver, BC
(Zone 7b)

December 3, 2011
10:15 AM

Post #8914886

Hi ViolaAnn and many other Hosta lovers.

I have noticed that I am challenged by other distractions lately and haven't spent much time participating on DG as I used to.
Hostas are the foundation of my small North - facing garden and I have a hard time limiting the number to only 31 varieties. The most spectacular is my 6 year old Sagae, getting larger every year! The most challenging is Fire and Ice. If anyone has good advice about that one I would be happy to read about it here. I don't do other plant sites, just DG and I recommend it to gardeners that ask for good resource sites when I volunteer as a Master Gardener here in Vancouver.

The image I've attached is Gypsy Rose, my favourite for visual interest in the leaf, and overall habit.

Thumbnail by a5footsea

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

December 3, 2011
10:22 AM

Post #8914891

I have a 4 yr [??] Fire & Ice. I just love it. IT was getting crowded out, so i just moved it to Wisc [zone4 from zone5] this past summer. Hopefully it will have more room to grow... though i do hear it is a very slow grower.

Thumbnail by tcs1366

plantnutz
Austell, GA
(Zone 7a)

December 3, 2011
12:56 PM

Post #8914994

Thanks for the tip, Jeff. I had been thinking to go there - they have a special going on there too before the end of the year I think. They have lots of others I want. I told my son I wanted a gift certificate for hostas for Christmas.

Brenda

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

December 3, 2011
1:24 PM

Post #8915032

a5footsea - we should get together sometime when I'm out in Vancouver visiting my daughter and family. She lives in the Commercial Dr. area of Vancouver.
a5footsea
North Vancouver, BC
(Zone 7b)

December 4, 2011
9:51 AM

Post #8915944

Ann - that's a great idea! Does your daughter also garden? You are invited any time to see my little experimental plot, except winter of course ... it's looking very ratty and bare outside at the moment. If it snowed here, it would be prettier at least.

Would love to talk 'Hostas' with another fan.

Kathryn

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

December 4, 2011
12:18 PM

Post #8916080

Kathryn - my daughter, at the moment, is gardening little people! A 3 1/2 yr-old and one that will be 3 mos. in a couple of days. And it's OK with me if your snow stays away until well after Christmas. Would prefer flying w/o anxiety as to whether we can get there.
Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 4, 2011
7:52 PM

Post #8916636

My niece is also named Kathryn- such a pretty name!

I actually did some garden work today, moving some potted around for the winter. It's been so mild here, I've really been dragging my feet on buring my pots and getting them situated. I was looking at my faux rock walls today and remembered that I still have to post a tutorial- I promise to do so in the early spring, which is when I usually work on that stuff in my studio.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

December 5, 2011
4:03 AM

Post #8916870

Yeah!! :)
Rose1656
Oquawka, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 5, 2011
6:56 PM

Post #8917886

Brenda,

I got my 'Lakeside Paisley Print' from Naylor Creek. I remember that they were on backorder. Hope it will be easier for you to find next spring. I had some on order from Walters Garden coop, but we never got them. Supposed to get them next spring, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Rose

Eleven

Eleven
Royal Oak, MI
(Zone 6a)

December 8, 2011
4:40 AM

Post #8921107

Well, I spent most of October and November raking leaves and getting the yards ready for winter. I admit I tend to stay from DG when it's cold out here. I'm going to renew my subscription next year because I like using the PlantFiles and Journal features. But I also visit the Hallson's and Garden Web forums.

I'll probably be around more as I start making my wish lists for next year. Trying really hard to keep them small.
2manyhosta
Batavia, IL

December 22, 2011
7:12 AM

Post #8939193

I visit regularly, but only post sporadically. I must too join the group confessing about already making a Naylor Creek order. Not sure that there is much room left in the garden, but I always seem to find space somewhere.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

December 22, 2011
7:34 AM

Post #8939211

Hi 2Many -- did a bit of clicking around and see you out west of me. My sister used to live in Elburn, out in the country -- though i wonder how much of it is still "country" these days... this was over 10 yrs ago.
nice neck of the woods though. [she was east of 47 on main street]

I have yet to order from Naylor, though i love drooling over their catalog.
hostages
Wyoming, MN

December 22, 2011
7:42 AM

Post #8939221

Not much going on here. Fortunately? I also grow daylilies, and that forum is still active. I don't post a lot there, but I do learn a lot. They are also fun to hybridize and grow from seed.

Gary
2manyhosta
Batavia, IL

December 29, 2011
7:24 AM

Post #8946414

Hello TCS. Yes, Elburn is still quite rural. Less so than several years ago, but like most places, the building has slowed down. It is a pretty area and quite awesome soil out this way, so that is always good.
Happy New Year to all, the hostas will be coming back up soon enough.
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 3, 2012
1:44 AM

Post #8952396

I have been off DG because of so many family illness this past yr. During the winter months I have more time. I am guilty of already planning for the next growing season.

Anyone coming to the Nationals in Nashville TN for 2012?

Teresa
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

January 13, 2012
8:30 PM

Post #8966815

Hello Everybody I am still alive! The last two years has been really rough on me, not just the economy, but my body too. I was in and out of the hospital the entire month of November. But God is good.
TERESA, I told Cormelia I am going to do my darndest to get to that convention if I can walk and the Vertigo disappear. :) I was totally confused I thought it was the Regional. I was to go there too, but this is huge! :)
BELLIE, please forgive me, one day I will explain :)
VIOLA ANN I see you are still creating these wonderful threads and keeping everyone excited. BTW I am still looking at Ottawa one of these days. Another friend mad at me, I have missed two conventions so far.
Whats worse I have lost almost all of my Hosta garden to due to some bad Cypress mulch. Right now I am doing everything in pots and growing Poplar trees for shade, I dont know how much I can get out there and do. Hopefully some will come back after amending the soil. A lot showed up in the fall that didnt show up in the spring, so hopefully more will show up. AND ... I am still buying, trying to find all the ones I truly loved first.
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 13, 2012
9:45 PM

Post #8966857

Bad cypress mulch? What happened?

I would love to meet you in Nashville. I know the town pretty well. I have been down this wk for 4 days. My sister is in a clinical trial at Vanderbilt. She takes chemo every 3 wks there.

I bet there will be some awesome gardens to see!
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

January 14, 2012
3:52 AM

Post #8967009

Sylvia,
Bad mulch!!! Bag or truckload??? Losing your collection is awful!!!

Our schedule when we were in your area was very busy, playing golf in the morning and sight seeing in the afternoon. We met a Dger in Baytown which was good. Treated her for lunch and exchanged gardening expertises

DH got sick eating Mexican food after few days but found wonderful restaurants.

Vertigo!! One of my friends went to a specialist after ENT evaluation and now she is much better. She does eye exercises few times a day and she said it works. She had to make sure there is nothing wrong with her inner ear.

It is getting cold here high 30's

Keep warm!!!
Bellie

bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 14, 2012
12:34 PM

Post #8967470

Cold! We got down to 15 last nite brrrr... poor hosta babies
Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 14, 2012
6:10 PM

Post #8967950

Ah, they'll be fine. It's finally starting to get cold here, too. Such a mild winter so far...I was out in the garden the other day, starting to get ideas about Spring.
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 15, 2012
4:21 AM

Post #8968281

Hi, it is odd that I am colder than Mass. Talked with my oldest girl and they are having only rain and warmer than KY :(

Loved Maine! Here is a shot I took last Sept.

Thumbnail by bluegrassmom

Rose1656
Oquawka, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 15, 2012
7:28 AM

Post #8968428

I've been enjoying the warmer weather, too. Now we have some snow on the ground to cover the hostas, but supposed to warm up again tomorrow! My plants seem to do much better when they're covered with snow most of the winter, so this next spring may be a disappointment. But, seems that Mother Nature likes to send challenges my way every year, I'm getting used to it! Only 65 more days 'til Spring!

Sorry to hear about your health problems, Sylvia. Hope that you're doing better.

Rose

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

January 15, 2012
1:15 PM

Post #8968786

But we're a LOT colder here in Ottawa (a bit below 0 Fahrenheit but we use the Celsius scale). Don't worry about your hostas. They like it cold in the winter.
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

January 16, 2012
12:18 PM

Post #8970064

Hey guys, it was 12 huge bags of Cedar mulch! The extension people said Cedar mulch is high in Chemical to kill the grass. I should have know something was wrong the smell was strong and it looked like everything was disappearing before my eyes. I was trying to make my garden look beautiful because the editor from the Dallas Morning news was coming out to interview me and see my Hosta Garden. I told her I owned two to three hundred Hostas, when she got here it looked so sparse. I was so embarrassed.

Teresa it will good to meet you in Tennessee after all these years. Wonder who will be selling Hostas? I need to call Ron Livingston to see if he is going to be there ... and a lot of other people. I am suppose to be the President of the DFW Hosta Society, Lord knows I need help.LOL Water is a big issue with the Texas people.lol

Bellie How did you end up in Houston? You guys really move around? Do you still have my phone number? I wish you would call me. Too bad about your husband, I hope he was not eating authentic Mexican food. Its best to stick to Texmex . lol I want to hear from you.

If you guys are looking for anything special let me know, I dont do retail, so it will be a steal mostly postage.
I just like to stay in the loop of the connoisseur. :)
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2012
1:18 PM

Post #8970130

I hate to imagine losing 200 plants :( I am finding out the this maple that I planted 25 yrs ago is not good for hosta :(

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2012
7:35 PM

Post #8970667

And I've got foliar nematodes! :-(
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

January 16, 2012
8:43 PM

Post #8970725

FOLIAR NEMATODES? Is that those little gnats that's flying all over the place? If so, I bought my plants in for the winter and they are flying up my nose, they are driving me crazy! This came up in a thread years ago and I cant remember what we used for it. Clorox and water is in the back of my mind.

Dont worry Teresa I am catching up, the problem is trying to find my old tried and true. I had a Ventricosta, big shiny green leaves with purple flowers, even Jim dont have it. My Gun smoke, Percy, even Royal Standard, all of those I miss.

Eleven

Eleven
Royal Oak, MI
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2012
4:38 AM

Post #8970949

Sylvia, I have lots of Royal Standard and can send you some in the spring whenever they start emerging.
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 17, 2012
9:12 AM

Post #8971319

Sylvia
The little flys sound like Fungus Gnats. I use yellow sticky strips and Neem oil. They are a pain in the ... They like moist soil and then will go to lights or windows.
The Nematodes are something else that is a huge worry. Destroys plant from the inside.
Alberta Ann
Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 17, 2012
11:31 AM

Post #8971478

I don't think the nematodes actually destroy the plant. They just make the leaves look unsightly towards the end of the season, and they can spread to nearby plants. I've decided to just accept them. By the time they show up in the garden, things are looking less than perfect anyway.
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 17, 2012
2:53 PM

Post #8971730

Noreaster you are correct with the not destroy completely. I found a comment on a site,the data was from a few years ago and it sounds like lots of poison was used but it was interesting to read. here's the link
http://www.stlouishosta.org/newsletters/11-05.pdf
I am no expert on these at all and compared to you folks only have a little bit of hosta knowledge. I only know what I have read about these little monsters but I am worried about having them in my garden.
Alberta Ann
Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 17, 2012
3:32 PM

Post #8971806

I know, no one wants to have diseased or infested hosta..I certainly don't either. But from reading things on various sites, I've just come to the conclusion that the nematodes are inevitable. Once I accepted that, I just determined not to stress myself out to no end sbout them anymore. It sure woud be nice if there ws a safe, magic bullet to wipe them out, but alas, they don't have one of those yet. Maybe one day!

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2012
6:27 PM

Post #8972076

If I understand foliar nematodes correctly, they are really a pest of the soil. They crawl up the foliage and enter the leaves through the stomata, eat away and reproduce. Then they leave the leaves, usually on a film of water and are on to the rest of the garden. But they are not, I don't believe, a pest that takes up residence in the roots of the plant. Common "cures" are "cooking" the entire plant, but if it doesn't stunt or kill the plant, the plant is likely to be reinfected when it's replanted.

They affect many, many perennials, not just hostas and are a rampant problem in nurseries as well as home gardens. Of course, home garden sales don't help. They can be in the plants much of the summer but you won't see signs of them until late July or August, at least in this climate. I asked on the Hallson list if they are inevitable and we are going to have to learn to live with them and Chris said he thins, yes!

http://www.extension.umn.edu/yardandgarden/ygbriefs/p151nematodesfoliar.html

http://www.ca.uky.edu/agcollege/plantpathology/ext_files/PPFShtml/PPFS-OR-H-3.pdf

http://hostasdirect.wordpress.com/2008/08/28/foliar-nematodes-can-ruin-your-hostas/
Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 17, 2012
8:56 PM

Post #8972231

I heat treated several in 2010 and they were not drastically stunted in 2011 and appeared nematode free...i am estimating it set them back by probably one year, While it was not very hard to do with newer plants, I won't bother doing it with more established ones. I thought Manhattan exhibited signs last year, and I have no intention of digging that one up. No idea how Manhattan would have contracted nematodes, either. It has been in the ground several years, and not in the vicinity of my other neme infected ones.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

January 18, 2012
4:26 AM

Post #8972440

I also had some show signs of nems last year that were in totally different parts of the garden. Can't do my entire collection nor do I intend to destroy my entire collection. Besides, there are other perennials there too. Gonna try spraying with neem oil and using Hydrogen peroxide in the garden.
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

January 18, 2012
6:43 PM

Post #8973536

Alberta you are right! that what they are! Fungus Gnats, Lord it take a while to get rid of them too. It was the Neem oil that worked? I will look for some tomorrow. THANKS!!

Eleven thanks for the Royal Standard offer! Just Dmail me when you are ready. I will send you a bunch of liners in exchange.:) THANKS!

Eleven

Eleven
Royal Oak, MI
(Zone 6a)

March 16, 2012
7:38 AM

Post #9044780

Hey Sylvia, spring has hit early here, so I can probably dig up the Royal Standard for you any time now. I also have some other extra hostas I have left over from last year. I'll send you a DM. =)

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 16, 2012
10:06 AM

Post #9044932

I can't believe... I have "eyes" popping up already.

only found them in one spot... but haven't checked the north bed yet.
we -- like most others, have been unseasonably warm...
last 2 days have hit 81°
forecasted 70's for the next week.

I've had colder summer days than we've had in this March.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

March 16, 2012
5:13 PM

Post #9045367

Same here tcs. I got all kinds of stuff coming up. :)
Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 16, 2012
7:50 PM

Post #9045625

I don't have any...although I went poking around Liberty and found some...that is one of the first to show upmfor me. The first crocus should bloom in the next week, I think. Won't be long now- yay!

My big project this year is teaching the new dog to stay out of the garden beds!
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 17, 2012
4:41 AM

Post #9045791

I have pips!!

If you have only maples, should I put them in pots?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 17, 2012
5:52 AM

Post #9045851

Love this quote:
tcs1366 wrote:I've had colder summer days than we've had in this March.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

March 17, 2012
7:33 AM

Post #9045936

Good one!! I got a lot of stuff sprouting but the bare root Saga's I got from a coop, T&T, they are the winner! Over on ATP we got these for 2.25 but as you can tell, they are a lot bigger than liners. :)

Thumbnail by virginiarose

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 17, 2012
8:04 AM

Post #9045959

I SHOULDN'T have pips for another month. But they are calling for record-breaking high temps the next couple of days. Who knows what will happen. The snow has mostly disappeared in the last week except in shaded places north of buildings (my back yard). The temps will take care of the rest in short order. And tsc - that quote holds true for us too.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 17, 2012
8:42 AM

Post #9045986

Ann -- we have been experiencing "May" like weather... it's been warm.
nights in the 50's, days mid-upper 70's for the past week and the week to come.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

March 17, 2012
9:39 AM

Post #9046033

In February we only had three days where it got down in the twenties. So far this month is mostly sixties and a few seventies and once we hit 80.
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

March 17, 2012
12:25 PM

Post #9046170

Shawna, I got your D-mail.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 17, 2012
4:46 PM

Post #9046465

i think this was our 4th 81degrees in a row -- will be warm thru Tuesday, then it starts too cool a bit, but 60's, then i think 50's towards next weekend.
still WAY above the norm... but heck -- i'm not complaining. this is summer without the humidity.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

March 17, 2012
7:39 PM

Post #9046698

Nice!! I'm lovin it too. :)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hostas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Your Favorite Hosta... blonde_elf 117 Nov 16, 2009 7:06 PM
Mania Links pupper 5 May 21, 2007 10:11 PM
Help me choose leslie 10 Jul 16, 2008 10:40 AM
Lovely Loretta jody 55 Jun 23, 2007 11:02 AM
cup hostas handhelpers 11 Aug 25, 2007 7:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America